• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come now, we all know Mercenaries 2: World in Flames was Pandemic's crowning achievement.

RIP

God dammit man, Mercenaries 2... the first game was so good! And then they just threw away all the great design with the sequel. Making you prepurchase all your airstrikes and drops? And then giving each base limited inventory so you had to sit through fast travel loading screens just to get what you wanted? And then the health system. The health system.

MG310

Infamous also has the issue of being dead silent most of the time - probably where all of the lifeless comments come from.

Megasoum

Banned
Heh so Polygon "outed" Jeff Green's new job. He just said on his twitch stream that it wasn't supposed to be announced yet but he's glad that Polygon said it so now he doesn't have to deal with the issue.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/3/17/5491040/twitch-when-watching-beats-playing

He works for Hit Detection, a "consultant" firm (aka mock reviews I imagine) with N'Gai Croal.

And FWIW, some people (including me) saw a deleted tweet saying that a couple of months ago...looks like it's confirmed now.

Megasoum

Banned
I really liked both inFamous games (can't wait for friday!).

I can't say I really cared that much about the story though...but it was still very enjoyable games.

It's also, for some reasons, the only one of those games with a good/bad choice where I actually played the bad guy lol. Every other games where I can pick a side I always go to the good side but in inFamous the powers are so much coolers on the bad side lol.

newjeruse

cPPGlk2.png

Woo!

Oh well.

hamchan

I liked both Infamous games but was pretty disappointed with the story of the second considering that the first game had a great sequel set up.

Prototype was pretty mediocre. Couldn't finish the first one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to save myself a link to patricks critical proximity talk but the twtich feed is 7.5 hours! What timestamp is his segment?

Lombax

Banned
I lost 34,000 souls in blight town. So I went back to Firelink Shrine, and murdered everyone there.

Perhaps not the correct thread to share this in, but I had to tell someone.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I lost 34,000 souls in blight town. So I went back to Firelink Shrine, and murdered everyone there.

That was my first huge loss too. I had like 50,000 after beating the Depths and died to the first club guy in Blighttown, then died from my first curse on the way back to those souls.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

You will lose a lot more souls than that my friend.

You'll also learn that souls aren't even what you need to worry about losing - it's humanity.

Zaph

Pfft, everyone knows The Saboteur was the best open world action game of 2009. Come on guys...

I'm lying straight out of my ass
No joke, I loved that game.

Every single gameplay mechanic it used was fundamentally broken in some way - the driving, shooting, stealth, parkour, Irish accent, everything. But I still had a blast.

The ending was way better than it had any right to be too.

popo

Heh so Polygon "outed" Jeff Green's new job. He just said on his twitch stream that it wasn't supposed to be announced yet but he's glad that Polygon said it so now he doesn't have to deal with the issue.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/3/17/5491040/twitch-when-watching-beats-playing

He works for Hit Detection, a "consultant" firm (aka mock reviews I imagine) with N'Gai Croal.

And FWIW, some people (including me) saw a deleted tweet saying that a couple of months ago...looks like it's confirmed now.

I would be much more interested in hearing the reason behind the secrecy. Never did like that Croal guy.

MrDaravon

I would be much more interested in hearing the reason behind the secrecy. Never did like that Croal guy.

Jeff talked about it briefly on his livestream last night, he said the secrecy wasn't really intentional or intended to be hype generating, just non-disclosure and other related bullshit. I think he said he'll go into that a bit when he posts his blog about the whole thing.

Also why did you guys have to remind me about Mercenaries 2 :(

pronk420

that dark souls video was great, hope they do another one this week

watching vinny (bits after vinny's current position spoiler) -
be confused by the pirate ship was pretty funny. he's going to be pissed if he makes it through no mans whorf.

Lombax

Banned
You will lose a lot more souls than that my friend.

You'll also learn that souls aren't even what you need to worry about losing - it's humanity.

Aye, this is my 3rd or 4th time through the game [made it to the end on the 360 and it red ringed. made it to the end on PC, and GFWL corrupted my save]. In this instance it was just.....blight town being blight town.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It's kinda weird that the most viewed video on GB's youtube channel is a Matt Kessler original.

hamchan

Jeff asking "Is there still rations? Is there cigarettes?" and then when the answer was no, "Is this even a Metal Gear game?", was my reaction too.

styl3s

I don't know why, but I was expecting Brad and Jeff to tear Ground Zeroes a new one. The Quick Look is actually pretty positive.
Because it's a legitimately fun and good game.

People expect everyone to rip into it because the main story is only like 2 hours long which is kind of funny considering nobody had a problem with Gone Home winning GOTY and it being $20 and only being about 2 hours long with almost 0 re-playability where as this not only has a 2 hour campaign that has re-playability it also has side missions.

But, it's the internet.

def sim

I had trouble figuring out which person Snake was in conversations early on. Kiefer and Kaz blurred because of my unfamiliarity. It'll take time getting accustomed to, but it's a fine enough performance.

They're going for an open world stealth game and it's interesting for this series. It reminds me of an expanded Chaos Theory, oddly enough. I liked what I played despite it being as long as a movie.

People expect everyone to rip into it because the main story is only like 2 hours long which is kind of funny considering nobody had a problem with Gone Home winning GOTY and it being $20 and only being about 2 hours long with almost 0 re-playability where as this not only has a 2 hour campaign that has re-playability it also has side missions.

But, it's the internet.

Maybe not with Giant Bomb, but the OT had quite a bit of people that had problems with it.

But, it's the internet.

It really looks pretty cool, but I don't think I will pay 30 dollars for the physical copy. I'm still glad that Kojima expanded the gameplay concepts of the awesome earlier parts of MGS4, hope he doesn't feel down by the negative reviews because the lenght.

hamchan

But, it's the internet.

A lot of people on GAF had a problem with the price they were charging for Gone Home. I remember seeing plenty of posts commenting on the fact it was $19.99.

It's all about perspective too.

Gone Home, a game at least provided a complete experience and story even if it was short, developed by a small indie team as their debut game, with some pretty serious life messages contained in it too.
vs
Ground Zeroes, which appears to be just Konami, a not small publisher, cutting out the opening act of MGSV a la Tanker/Virtuous Mission, to sell as a $30 product in order to wring out as much money from their fanbase.

Who looks like the bigger bad guy here?

------------------------------

For funsies and because I'm in a Metal Gear mood with the release of this game I read through Jeff's original review of MGS for the PS1.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/metal-gear-solid-review/1900-2546002/

He gives the game a great score but knocks it for its "insultingly short length".

Megasoum

Banned
I had trouble figuring out which person Snake was in conversations early on. Kiefer and Kaz blurred because of my unfamiliarity. It'll take time getting accustomed to, but it's a fine enough performance.

They're going for an open world stealth game and it's interesting for this series. It reminds me of an expanded Chaos Theory, oddly enough. I liked what I played despite it being as long as a movie.

Heh, reminds me when I started playing Splinter Cell Blacklist with the new Sam Fisher... Seriously it took me at least half (if not more) of the prologue to find out which one of the two dudes on screen was Sam haha.

But, it's the internet.
Weird, I have seen two or three defenses of Ground Zeroes almost word-for- word identical to this.

Did you guys have a meeting or something?

Jintor

if snake doesn't refuse to read a note because he doesn't feel it's appropriate to read it then it's not even in the same playing field as gone home.

this is a joke

Curufinwe

But, it's the internet.

They were going to charge $40 for PS4/Xbone Ground Zeroes, though. And it's still $30.

A lot of people on GAF had a problem with the price they were charging for Gone Home. I remember seeing plenty of posts commenting on the fact it was $19.99.

Gone Home, a game at least provided a complete experience and story even if it was short, developed by a small indie team as their debut game, with some pretty serious life messages contained in it too.
vs
Ground Zeroes, which appears to be just Konami, a not small publisher, cutting out the opening act of MGSV a la Tanker/Virtuous Mission, to sell as a $30 product in order to wring out as much money from their fanbase.

Dunno about bad guy, but the scummier is Konami... just remember that some people talk about Gone Home like it was the coming of the antichrist, so is no like everyone was as understanding...

demidar

One of the things I liked about the MGS series was the attention to details and little asides that made experimentation fun (crazy codec conversations, Easter eggs, killing that sniper dude by turning the clock forward and other weird ways to deal with bosses, eating weird ass animals, fourth wall breaking, general goofiness etc.). I'm not sure how well that would work for an open world game which is why I'm hesitant about MGS5.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

vs

Not really defending the size of it, but you have to imagine that ground zeros cost millions more than gone home to develop.

def sim

Heh, reminds me when I started playing Splinter Cell Blacklist with the new Sam Fisher... Seriously it took me at least half (if not more) of the prologue to find out which one of the two dudes on screen was Sam haha.

I haven't had the chance to play that yet; I imagine it would be tough to match Ironside's distinct voice. I'm going to miss that bass filled drawl from Sam.

Megasoum

Banned
I haven't had the chance to play that yet; I imagine it would be tough to match Ironside's distinct voice. I'm going to miss that bass filled drawl from Sam.

Yeah that's what I was thinking at the beginning too but in the end I think I prefer the new one. Sure Ironside's Sam is a "classic" but the new one is just fine. It helps that he makes his debut in the best game of the franchise.

Yeah that's what I was thinking at the beginning too but in the end I think I prefer the new one. Sure Ironside's Sam is a "classic" but the new one is just fine. It helps that he makes his debut in the best game of the franchise.

Hayter sounds like he's been gargling gravel so it makes sense to replace him with IMO a better choice in every way

Likewise, Ironside sounded fucked up on pills and booze for the last game so replacing him was also a good choice. The new guy might not have been a good replacement (haven't played it) but it was a good decision nonetheless

Megasoum

Banned
Hayter sounds like he's been gargling gravel so it makes sense to replace him with IMO a better choice in every way

Likewise, Ironside sounded fucked up on pills and booze for the last game so replacing him was also a good choice. The new guy might not have been a good replacement (haven't played it) but it was a good decision nonetheless

Yup I agree, I think both replacements are good for their respective franchise.

I was watching the twitch MGS marathon yesterday and had forgotten how terrible Hayter sounds in MGS4...omg.

def sim

Dang, that's some high praise!

Yup I agree, I think both replacements are good for their respective franchise.

I was watching the twitch MGS marathon yesterday and had forgotten how terrible Hayter sounds in MGS4...omg.

Hayter's campy performance fit the world, I suppose. It's odd hearing Kiefer's voice work and then someone like Huey (?) joins the conversation, sounding like a cartoon character. The cassette conversation about letting the inspectors in their base was particularly bothersome. I would love some consistency with the more basic characters.

Villains and other more ostentatious characters can ham it all up, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom