• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nishastra

Banned
The funny thing is that Giant Bomb streams pale in comparison to the stuff on Twitch.

Weird business to be in.
And of course there's all the Youtubers who get hundreds of thousands of views on every single thing they do.

It really is weird. Giant Bomb video is big compared to other game sites, but even fairly small-time streamers and Youtubers get many, many times more views.

I suspect it won't, I believe Giant Bomb brings in WAY more viewers for their live programming.

Gamespot was attracting like 40-100 people live. GB brings in thousands. Remember Danny talking about how more people listen to Jeff commute than watch the GS shows?

To put that in perspective, a joke Twitch stream of a potato currently has 211 viewers.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
GB is also splitting views between youtube and the main page too. Not that they would get anywhere near PewDiePie's viewership. They need to target the 10 year old audience better.

Exokell

Banned
Dan has been super awesome, really great hire by the guys. Just imagine a podcast with Jeff, brad, Dan and Vinny. I miss Vinny :(

Patryn

I remember that comment Danny made, but I didn't know it was that low.

To put that in perspective, a joke Twitch stream of a potato currently has 211 viewers.

I should note I came to that figure from my own observations watching The Lobby live a couple of times. That's also the number from the GS site, it's possible there were more watching from Twitch. But based on Danny's comment, I'm guessing not a lot more...

But there are still the figures for those who caught it later.

Haunted

Hmm, GS will only have two live shows now.

https://twitter.com/JessMcDonell/status/498617298442133504
"All live except for The Lobby and Now Playing."

https://twitter.com/JessMcDonell/status/498611718214262784
"GS wants to massively cut down on their live programming and that included us, unfortunately."

https://twitter.com/JessMcDonell/status/498616876285448192
"It was a GameSpot decision after our live team in the US was let go."

I liked HoH. I wonder if any of this stuff will affect GB live non premium content.
:/

Guys, I tell my wife Dan stories on a weekly basis and she's been enjoying them. I've already told her about the following:

• Taco Bell is the best food
    Drunken Star Wars and tornado
    Meat Raffle and Bar Bingo
    Dentist story
    Egg whites
    Hot dogs and shoebox

Is there anything else I'm missing so far?

Dragon

Banned

I regularly watch Lirik on Twitch and he's consistently above 20K now. I do wonder how much money some of these streamers make, he has to have a ton of subs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Guys, I tell my wife Dan stories on a weekly basis and she's been enjoying them. I've already told her about the following:

Dentist story

The eyes story.

Egg whites of course.

Shoebox.

Jesus, you have left everything out!

Dragon

Banned
I just really appreciate the freedom a small site like giant bomb has.

They certainly are a lot smaller than gamespot (then again they've been around for a far shorter time period). Since they do a shit load less actual editorial writing, I'd have to think all their video content gets consumed at a far better pace than a place like Gamespot.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just ran into this Bombcast moment when the guys were making fun of Dan: http://youtu.be/x_RP9X775sU

Actually starts out making fun of some director he gave a bad review. Dan was involved in Twitter shit (I know, it sounds so unlike him) and a director accused him of being a failed musician because somebody else named Dan Ryckert had a shitty band at one point.

Sourced from some untrustworthy site on the internet http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510460

Also linked in that thread from an equally untrustworthy contributor to that untrustworthy site, Dan Ryckert's first Giant Bomb appearance where he talks about how much of a terrible person he is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sRCUcNR7A

The eyes story.

Egg whites of course.

Shoebox.

Jesus, you have left everything out!

I just came home from work and my brain is not working rat the moment. But oh, I just remembered that I did talk about the shoebox and egg whites. I haven't done the glasses one yet.

Renpatsu

This Blackbay Asylum Quick Look is something else.
I'm sorta with Vinny though, having a serial killer protagonist cracking wise to the 'horrors' around him instead of being scared is an offbeat take on the horror genre.
I won't buy it for $20 though.

hamchan

Dentist story
    Egg whites
    Hot dogs and shoebox

Jose Canseco feud

Yea but that means that the video part wasn't as safe as assumed tbh.

it seems that was the case but then Ryan McDonald was let go and people started to question that.

Now i guess we now know what the true damage was.

That was what I feared once I heard other info dug up in the wake of all that firing back then: the very stability of the site itself seems in danger.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Dentist story
    Egg whites
    Hot dogs and shoebox

General space confusion, "Given that I lived in Minnesota for five years, how long could I survive in space if I walked out a screen door just wearing shorts and a shirt"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
going through this old Kinect video. Jeff is Greg Miller's doppelganger.
agdnEEK.jpg

FStop7

Banned
"Dan Ryckert, who has been making films since junior high, created the student produced comedy "Foghat Live"."

The long awaited adaptation

foghat2600.jpg

IS this real? WHY is it not in my possession? I am going to go after this like Thanos did the Infinity Gems. NOTHING will stop me.

bender

What time is it?
I'm sorta with Vinny though, having a serial killer protagonist cracking wise to the 'horrors' around him instead of being scared is an offbeat take on the horror genre.

That video left me speechless which is probably a good thing. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Wait, Danny's The Point hasn't been cancelled has it? I love watching those (it kinda reminds me of Jim Sterling's Jimquisition)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

That sounds like a premise that has been done before but I can't actually think of anything that uses it.

All I got is that psycho in Con-air.

mcbradle

Neo Member
I had sort of wished there was more synchronization with GB and Gamespot during E3 this year. I liked that GB actually streamed the whole Day Zero (even though I sometimes would mute the stream to hear the actual press conference sound). But during the rest of the days, I like Gamespot's stage. Even when competing against G4 and Spike, they still have more meaningful content. They get nearly every game on stage (including indies) for some kind of trailer, demo, or discussion at the least, whereas Spike has 30-60 minutes of AAA hypefest coverage of Halo, Gears, Uncharted, etc. and G4 would have a larger, yet still smaller than Gamespot, selection on their stage.

Long post made short, I would have loved to see Jeff or Brad (or a rotation) with their own stage instead of Gamespot having two doing almost the same thing, except the content that they know their community wants to see. That's the only real thing I see benefiting them if Giant Spot ever became a reality. That and Danny.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Giantbomb has the developer after-conference which to be honest is about 75% of why I care about E3. The other 25% being the conference livestreams.

Renpatsu

I don't think Jeff would want a stage on the show floor at all.

Edit:
When GB got bought by CBS they actually purchased GB a stage floor and Jeff turned it down. That's why GameSpot has multiple stage presences at E3.
Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking of.
If we're just talking Jeff here for E3 he really values the after hours live streams with multiple guests because it's a much more casual format that doesn't have to contest too heavily with PR restrictions and it is isolated from the usual E3 chaos.

Myggen

Hmm, GS will only have two live shows now.

https://twitter.com/JessMcDonell/status/498617298442133504
"All live except for The Lobby and Now Playing."

https://twitter.com/JessMcDonell/status/498611718214262784
"GS wants to massively cut down on their live programming and that included us, unfortunately."

https://twitter.com/JessMcDonell/status/498616876285448192
"It was a GameSpot decision after our live team in the US was let go."

I liked HoH. I wonder if any of this stuff will affect GB live non premium content.

i don't see how it will affect GB's non-premium content, live or recorded. Same parent company, but those people affected by the layoffs have nothing to do with GB. I don't really see how this affects anything unless you argue that this is a part of a bigger decision by CBSi to focus less on video or something. My guess is that CBSi just looked at the numbers when it came to their live stuff, and how unimportant it is (for now) for their regular audience.

I should note I came to that figure from my own observations watching The Lobby live a couple of times. That's also the number from the GS site, it's possible there were more watching from Twitch. But based on Danny's comment, I'm guessing not a lot more...

But there are still the figures for those who caught it later.

From what I've gathered, Gamespot has struggled to get any viewers for their live shows on their own site. You're right, The Lobby usually gets about 200 people chatting in their own chat. That's about 300-400 people viewing the stream from there. But they have a big amount of subscribers on Twitch, so they usually get about 1000-1500 viewers on there too. But a mod over there said in the chat for one of their live shows that they were working on getting those people to watch the streams over at their home page, and I'm guessing that's because they get next to nothing from people watching their live stuff from Twitch.

Their other live stuff have far less viewers than The Lobby.

I think it's just that shows like The Point and video features like the No Mans Sky preview do way better traffic than Gamespot's live shows. I doubt this'll effect Giant Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom