• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, those German debit cards seem to be entirely different, no 16 digit number or CVV:
Ec-bankkarte.jpg

Never seen a card like that here in Finland.

Zaph

Yeah, Germany is super weird with credit cards. When visiting Berlin I found that places where tourists/visitors were expected (clothing stores etc) accepted Visa and Mastecard, but normal day-to-day places like supermarkets? Nope. Only that EC bullshit and cash money.

But in my experience Germany is pretty much the exception, not the rule, when it comes to the payment card industry in Europe. I imagine, for most people, if they want a GB subscription, they can get a GB subscription.

blanky

Yeah, Germany is super weird with credit cards. When visiting Berlin I found that places where tourists/visitors were expected (clothing stores etc) accepted Visa and Mastecard, but normal day-to-day places like supermarkets? Nope. Only that EC bullshit and cash money.

But in my experience Germany is pretty much the exception, not the rule, when it comes to the payment card industry in Europe. I imagine, for most people, if they want a GB subscription, they can get a GB subscription.

I believe this is general way of life in Europe. Here in the netherlands it's either debit card or cash. People only use their creditcards for emergencies or going abroad. You can get a debit card as a kid.

Myggen

Yeah, all European countries I've visited has "normal" debit cards as a norm (never been to Germany). Really strange to have another system. Probably some security reasons or something.

I believe this is general way of life in Europe. Here in the netherlands it's either debit card or cash. People only use their creditcards for emergencies or going abroad. You can get a debit card as a kid.

It's the same in Norway, but we at least have a debit card you can use to buy stuff online (16 digit number and CVV), not that weird German card.

Cizard

You can use a dutch debit card online though but it uses a system most non-dutch sites don't support (iDEAL).

Renpatsu

Oh god, is it me or is the UI Scaling even worse in the latest Wow video?
They upped it specificaly for the video. I guess so people could read the UI easily.

Edit: Credit Card #9 | For all your banking needs!
This is probably why banks still make a huge deal of debit cards that can be used for online transactions.

Zaph

That's the thing, the German system isn't a 'normal' debit card, so you can't use it interchangeably. As Myggen said, for the most part in Europe you can whip out your bank-issued debit card and use it wherever, but this EC thing is its own separate system.

I've never really had problems in Berlin (apart from the supermarket when I had to get cash) as most places I visited catered for foreigners, but I imagine for a German citizen, this must get really annoying when buying services on the internet.

I just come home after a couple of weeks in Berlin and places not taking Visa was the dummest thing. It's not only supermarkeds, but lots of well known restaurants and stores too. You pretty much have to always have a stack of euros with you, because you can never be certain a place takes "normal" credit cards..

Myggen

That's the thing, the German system isn't a 'normal' debit card, so you can't use it interchangeably. As Myggen said, for the most part in Europe you can whip out your bank-issued debit card and use it wherever, but this EC thing is its own separate system.

I've never really had problems in Berlin (apart from the supermarket when I had to get cash) as most places I visited catered for foreigners, but I imagine for a German citizen, this must get really annoying when buying services on the internet.

Yeah, at that point I'd just get a credit card for online use.

I guess we can add that stuff to the "Germany is weird" list.

Side note, I've definitely ordered stuff from Germany online with my credit card and american address with no issue.

Finally got my Retron 5 this morning. Came across the same problem the GB guys had where if it doesnt recognise a SNES game then it wont recognise any of them for a while. Only really a problem when you are testing games so im not all that worried but it is a bit annoying at the moment. Typical though that it would be Tetris Battle Gaiden that isnt recognised.

Myggen

I guess we can add that stuff to the "Germany is weird" list.

Side note, I've definitely ordered stuff from Germany online with my credit card and american address with no issue.

Makes sense that German online stores would open up for payment from the rest of the world by allowing normal debit/credit cards :)

I think most European countries have their own payment systems, it's just that it's common to add Visa debit functionality to the cards so they can be used in places where the local payment solution isn't supported. I would be surprised if there aren't German banks that offer this, at least for an additional fee.

I just come home after a couple of weeks in Berlin and places not taking Visa was the dummest thing. It's not only supermarkeds, but lots of well known restaurants and stores too. You pretty much have to always have a stack of euros with you, because you can never be certain a place takes "normal" credit cards..
Visa generally takes a bigger cut from the transaction than the local payment provider, so it's certainly better for them if people stick to regular debit cards.

Zaph

Yeah, at that point I'd just get a credit card for online use.

Yeah, everyone should do this, even if they do not 'need' one. The credit industry gets a bad rep, but in Europe you're very, very protected if anything goes wrong thanks to strict consumer laws. If you're sensible with credit, you should absolutely use it to your advantage.

I can't remember the last time I used my debit card online - if it were to get stolen/cloned, yes I could get my money back eventually, but until then I'm up the shitter. But fraudulent payments start appearing on a credit card? Report it, it's blocked, and any charges are the bank's problem.

It definitely got annoying. Thankfully most stores I went to accepted Mastercard, but for a few restaurants my friend, who now lives there, had to step in with his weird card.

I think most European countries have their own payment systems, it's just that it's common to add Visa debit functionality to the cards so they can be used in places where the local payment solution isn't supported. I would be surprised if there aren't German banks that offer this, at least for an additional fee.

Visa generally takes a bigger cut from the transaction than the local payment provider, so it's certainly better for them if people stick to regular debit cards.
Even here in London where Visa/Mastercard are a duopoly, businesses still like to sometimes add fees for credit card transactions to pass on that cost. It's shitty, but whatever. What I found really odd was many places didn't even have that option of allowing the customer to swallow the fee for the sake of convenience. It's even more troublesome that for a lot of people (like myself), their 'regular' debit card is a Visa debit.

Renpatsu

How does Vinny not have a premium series called 'Poetry with Vinny' yet?

Edit:
Finally got my Retron 5 this morning. Came across the same problem the GB guys had where if it doesnt recognise a SNES game then it wont recognise any of them for a while. Only really a problem when you are testing games so im not all that worried but it is a bit annoying at the moment. Typical though that it would be Tetris Battle Gaiden that isnt recognised.
Since the Retron 5 just dumps the cartridge is there an option to just dump any cart regardless of whether it is recognised or not?

Edit:
Vinny said:
There once was a man from Nebraska,
Whose uh wife couldn't tell you a directions if you asked her;
When asked uh if she knew where to get bacon,
She said "not uh on the road not taken"
And uh then I just stumbled right past her.

popo

Shunning credit cards is why the eurozone has zero growth. You need to spend yourself out of a recession. Get your people to run up some crippling debt buying disposable consumer crap you fucking commies.

Actually, that might explain why Aldi don't take credit cards. I always assumed they were just cheap. Also they sell these.

motivator7675356.jpg

Patryn

Isn't it ironic that these archives got saved by loading them from one Google owned server to another?

There's no confirmation that Twitch was bought by Google, and there is a theory going around that Twitch made these changes because the Google deal may have fallen through, and Twitch had to cut costs and start protecting itself.

popo

In the UK they just call Cool Ranch "original" now. Gross. We only really get that and nacho cheese though, none of the wacky flavours you americans get are prevalent.

There's nothing better than an Aldi knock-off of a popular type of candy.

Especially when nobody at head office picks up they named a biscuit after MDMA

Patryn

Should be called 'Fucking Disgusting' instead.

Blue Cheese > Ranch

bring it on duders.

You're expecting dissent? Nothing sucks worse than ordering wings and getting Ranch instead of blue cheese. That shit's the WORST.

In the UK they just call Cool Ranch "original" now. Gross. We only really get that and nacho cheese though, none of the wacky flavours you americans get are prevalent./QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better, you guys get way more interesting Walkers flavors than we get Lay's.

Also, you guys have Ready Salted instead of Plain. Ready Salted is so much more interesting a name.

I've never thought Cool Ranch tasted anything like Ranch dressing; part of the reason I like the chips. Fuck blue cheese and ranch on wings; keep your damned salad dressing off of my chicken.

Patryn

Any white/creamy sauce with wings is gross. They're already too rich for it. Buffalo, BBQ or bust.

But it's the combination of the Buffalo plus the blue cheese that's the best!

Although my favorite wings I had were in Maui. They were dry rubbed with a bunch of spices, had some nice heat, and then Tzatziki for dipping them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom