• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Guys, I tell my wife Dan stories on a weekly basis and she's been enjoying them. I've already told her about the following:

• Taco Bell is the best food
    Drunken Star Wars and tornado
    Meat Raffle and Bar Bingo
    Dentist story
    Egg whites
    Hot dogs and shoebox

Is there anything else I'm missing so far?

How about that time Dan fucked his eyesight up by wearing glasses even though he got perfectly good eyesight?

Aaron

From what I've gathered, Gamespot has struggled to get any viewers for their live shows on their own site. You're right, The Lobby usually gets about 200 people chatting in their own chat. That's about 300-400 people viewing the stream from there. But they have a big amount of subscribers on Twitch, so they usually get about 1000-1500 viewers on there too. But a mod over there said in the chat for one of their live shows that they were working on getting those people to watch the streams over at their home page, and I'm guessing that's because they get next to nothing from people watching their live stuff from Twitch.

Their other live stuff have far less viewers than The Lobby.
The problem was for the most part their lives shows weren't very good, and usually devolved into watch people fiddle around in a game you've already been exposed to for an hour. The only Giant Bomb like personality they have is Danny, and even he can't carry a show solo. I know he had been doing that for a long while, but GB wised up early on that a quick look needed at least two people, and at least one of them needed to a Jeff, Dan, or Vinny type. Their prerecorded content has been fine.

How about that time Dan fucked his eyesight up by wearing glasses even though he got perfectly good eyesight?
I almost did the same thing as Dan as a kid, except for hearing. For some reason I thought hearing aids were cool.

Aaron

Hearing aids are basically cyberware.
I'm pretty sure that was what I thought at the time. There was a version where they drilled into your skull or something. I can still vividly remember going into the hearing test, and debating whether to throw it. Man, kids are so stupid.

Myggen

The problem was for the most part their lives shows weren't very good, and usually devolved into watch people fiddle around in a game you've already been exposed to for an hour. The only Giant Bomb like personality they have is Danny, and even he can't carry a show solo. I know he had been doing that for a long while, but GB wised up early on that a quick look needed at least two people, and at least one of them needed to a Jeff, Dan, or Vinny type. Their prerecorded content has been fine.

Yeah, I totally agree. Random Encounters without Danny are more or less always cringeworthy.

Rainmaker

Banned
I think how Giant Bomb handled the last E3 was pretty much perfect for what Giant Bomb is. I don't know if I'd want them to do anything on a show floor stage. I'm sure it'd be entertaining, but the late night panels give me more of what I want from E3 than a stage where they listen to the normal sort of interviews from devs that sound like PR talking points. I definitely wouldn't care to hear anyone from GS except Danny or maybe one other person there talk over the conferences. The way Giant Bomb does E3 is the only real special thing about the event to me anymore.

I know during E3 there is an influx of people watching GB wanting more direct gaming talk during the panels and I can totally understand that because it's E3 for God's sake but I personally find that when they do talk games during their panels I get more of the type of candid insight and info that I want than I do anywhere else plus their brand of entertainment.

I also don't see how what is happening at Gamespot messes with Giant Bomb that much. Maybe a more focused effort on GS being the written side of gaming for CBSi while Giant Bomb will be their more video-driven side? Hell. I don't know. Maybe I'll wake up in the morning and Game Bomb US will exist and I will feel at a loss and uneasy for years to come. I'll grow a beard and dye it white in front of the local courthouse singing songs of pain. Preaching people not to fall in love with a website. The digital age was for lovers but mostly, in the end, losers. Eat your vitamins, kids. Don't do web. Do books. Do healthy food. Do you. Don't do memes. Do life. Be your own personal #brand and make your own #content. What?

QIVVQ34.gif

Myggen

I think how Giant Bomb handled the last E3 was pretty much perfect for what Giant Bomb is. I don't know if I'd want them to do anything on a show floor stage. I'm sure it'd be entertaining, but the late night panels give me more of what I want from E3 than a stage where they listen to the normal sort of interviews from devs that sound like PR talking points. I definitely wouldn't care to hear anyone from GS except Danny or maybe one other person there talk over the conferences. The way Giant Bomb does E3 is the only real special thing about the event to me anymore.

I know during E3 there is an influx of people watching GB wanting more direct gaming talk during the panels and I can totally understand that because it's E3 for God's sake but I personally find that when they do talk games during therir panels I get more of the type of candid insight and info that I want than I do anywhere else plus their brand of entertainment.

Plus, Jeff said E3 was huge for them in terms of traffic. Their commentary for Sony(?) had 18k+ people chatting, and you can normally almost double that to get the actual view count (that's what their Twitch streams normally showed at least - the actual view count was always about double the amount of people chatting). I'm sure they'd get a lot of views if they did a more traditional floor stage, but how many are doing that stuff now? They fill a niche by doing commentary + live late night shows, and from what Jeff has said he would never go back to doing a floor stage because what they do now is more interesting AND less stressful for them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Plus, Jeff said E3 was huge for them in terms of traffic. Their commentary for Sony(?) had 18k+ people chatting, and you can normally almost double that to get the actual view count (that's what their Twitch streams normally showed at least - the actual view count was always about double the amount of people chatting). I'm sure they'd get a lot of views if they did a more traditional floor stage, but how many are doing that stuff now? They fill a niche by doing commentary + live late night shows, and from what Jeff has said he would never go back to doing a floor stage because what they do now is more interesting AND less stressful for them.
They still haven't found a way to actually monetize their viewers though, unless they are making huge bank on site skins. At least the youtubers have the Google ad dollars to rely on. At least Gamespot got Samsung or whoever it was to pay for a stage at the last E3.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They still haven't found a way to actually monetize their viewers though, unless they are making huge bank on site skins. At least the youtubers have the Google ad dollars to rely on. At least Gamespot got Samsung or whoever it was to pay for a stage at the last E3.

More viewers attracted = higher profile to attract new viewers = new viewers might become subscribers.

Goldmund

They'd probably see a pretty big bump from non-US members if they introduced more payment options. I know only one person with a credit card and he only got it because some American company had that as its only payment option, as well. It's just not really a thing here anymore (Germany). They're a part of a giant corporation now that could handle at least PayPal for them. Their excuse of having to deal with every PayPal payment personally and individually no longer holds.

Myggen

Well, I have no idea how their ad model works. But yeah, more viewers should mean more eyes on the site and possibly more subscribers.

They'd probably see a pretty big bump from non-US members if they introduced more payment options. I know only one person with a credit card and he only got it because some American company had that as its only payment option, as well. It's just not really a thing here anymore (Germany). They're a part of a giant corporation now that could handle at least PayPal for them. Their excuse of having to deal with every PayPal payment personally and individually no longer holds.

I can pay fine with a Norwegian Visa debit card (I've never owned a credit card in my life). But yeah, PayPal automation would be a good thing.

demidar

Yep, they gotta get that PayPal automation stuff set up now.

Goldmund

Well, I have no idea how their ad model works. But yeah, more viewers should mean more eyes on the site and possibly more subscribers.

I can pay fine with a Norwegian Visa debit card (I've never owned a credit card in my life). But yeah, PayPal automation would be a good thing.
How? Your debit card has a credit card number and a CVV?

I'm pretty sure we're all stuck here with Maestro. I guess it's a Visa thing.

Myggen

How? Your debit card has a credit card number and a CVV?

I'm pretty sure we're all stuck here with Maestro. I guess it's a Visa thing.

I'm not sure if it has a credit card number, but the front of the card has a card number (the back has the bank account number), and the back has a CVV. I've never seen a debit card that doesn't look like that tbh, but then again I've never really seen a debit card that isn't Visa. I can pay for pretty much everything online with my card, and the only time I've needed PayPal was when I was donating for Rorie's fridge.

Honestly, I had no idea that some people couldn't pay for a lot of stuff online with their debit card.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
More viewers attracted = higher profile to attract new viewers = new viewers might become subscribers.
Both GB and GS use Twitch because they don't want to spend money on bandwidth... remember how they got "screwed" when GB was forced to use CBSi servers for video when Twitch removed password protected streams?

I don't know if raw subscriber dollars is supposed to be the main revenue source for the site.

Goldmund

I'm not sure if it has a credit card number, but the front of the card has a card number (the back has the bank account number), and the back has a CVV. I've never seen a debit card that doesn't look like that tbh, but then again I've never really seen a debit card that isn't Visa. I can pay for pretty much everything online with my card.
I'm just gonna get a credit card now...

Myggen

Both GB and GS use Twitch because they don't want to spend money on bandwidth... remember how they got "screwed" when GB was forced to use CBSi servers for video when Twitch removed password protected streams?

I don't know if raw subscriber dollars is supposed to be the main revenue source for the site.

GB doesn't use Twitch for any of their streams anymore though. And as I said, it seems like GS was working on getting viewers from Twitch to their own player, without much luck.

And subscriber dollars is a big part of their revenue for sure. Other than that they're on that old ad model where more viewers=more ad money.

I mean, they've pretty much said that the subscriber money was worth more to them than the ad revenue.

I'm not sure if they've said that directly, but Jeff has said that subscriber money is extremely important.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I mean, they've pretty much said that the subscriber money was worth more to them than the ad revenue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GB doesn't use Twitch for any of their streams anymore though.
Have they done any free streams recently? Everything I've watched has been premium IIRC, so I can't really remember if they would have used Twitch for anything lately.
They used it for their live Divinity QL a few weeks ago.

It indicates a more engaged audience, and I guess recent events have might have proven that the GB model is better than the GS model, but when their main product is video but they don't sell ads on them, it seems like they're depending very hard on people willing to spend 35 bucks a year on them. Ultimately, it's the Patreon model that a lot of podcasts are using now, except that GB is conveniently backed by a corporate overlord.

Ken

caught up on the most recent UPF

of all the places to remind me akiba's trip was coming out this week it was giant bomb lol

Myggen

Have they done any free streams recently? Everything I've watched has been premium IIRC, so I can't really remember if they would have used Twitch for anything lately.

They haven't done any non-premium streams lately that I can remember. But they've moved most non-premium streams from the SF office to the CBSi player, non-Premium or Premium. The stream of the Alpha for Destiny was on the CBSi player, to give you an example. I think most of Vinny and Alex' streams have been using the CBSi player too. Patrick seems to be struggling to make it work, and has been using Twitch.

Oh, and same with all the E3 live stuff used the CBSi player.

It seems like they're trying to use the CBSi player for as much as they can, but they still mirror some non-premium stuff to Twitch and use that player when they can't get the CBSi player to work. But the CBSi player is their main way of streaming now for sure.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it ironic that these archives got saved by loading them from one Google owned server to another?

Brashnir

It indicates a more engaged audience, and I guess recent events have might have proven that the GB model is better than the GS model, but when their main product is video but they don't sell ads on them, it seems like they're depending very hard on people willing to spend 35 bucks a year on them. Ultimately, it's the Patreon model that a lot of podcasts are using now, except that GB is conveniently backed by a corporate overlord.

I thought they did run pre-roll ads on video for non-subscribers. I remember my membership lapsed a while back and I started getting ads on videos. (unless I'm completely misremembering)

Myggen

I thought they did run pre-roll ads on video for non-subscribers. I remember my membership lapsed a while back and I started getting ads on videos. (unless I'm completely misremembering)

That's right, I saw some shitty ad when I watched one of their streams from work and couldn't log on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It seems like they're trying to use the CBSi player for as much as they can, but they still mirror some non-premium stuff to Twitch and use that player when they can't get the CBSi player to work. But the CBSi player is their main way of streaming now for sure.
Hah, maybe they finally worked out all that weird internal bandwidth cost nonsense.

That's right, I saw some shitty ad when I watched one of their streams from work and couldn't log on.
Oh weird, I didn't know that they got infested with that stuff. I guess that's one way to generate revenue... but really, I would assume the only way to make it stick is to have them do live ad reads during a stream or QL or something.

Youtube is probably the most aggressive with ads, where they'll just stop the video in the middle of playback to toss in a minute commercial.

Myggen

Hah, maybe they finally worked out all that weird internal bandwidth cost nonsense.

Oh weird, I didn't know that they got infested with that stuff. I guess that's one way to generate revenue... but really, I would assume the only way to make it stick is to have them do live ad reads during a stream or QL or something.

Youtube is probably the most aggressive with ads, where they'll just stop the video in the middle of playback to toss in a minute commercial.

It seems like they worked that out pretty fast. They moved most of their stuff to the CBSi player when Twitch ditched the ability to put a password on your streams.

And yeah, they've got ads on their streams and videos for non-subs. But it's just a 20-ish second ad when you start up your stream and video, nothing in the middle of the video or any nonsense like that. Live reading of ads on a QL or similar probably wouldn't fly on GB because of the "no ads" promise to Premium users. At least on streams, they could edit it out on recorded videos for Premium users like they do with sponsored Bombcasts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It seems like they worked that out pretty fast. They moved most of their stuff to the CBSi player when Twitch ditched the ability to put a password on your streams.

And yeah, they've got ads on their streams and videos for non-subs. But it's just a 20-ish second ad when you start up your stream and video, nothing in the middle of the video or any nonsense like that.
One twenty second ad per 1+ hour video is probably some manager's nightmare. lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
we need indefinite weekly WOW videos featuring Dan, Matt and Brad.

Rapstah

Rorie talking about how "hard" WoW used to be cracks me up. Game was always easy as fuck.

I don't know the context so he would very well be 100% wrong, but the highest end stuff in the game has typically always been very hard. Nothing you would run into just levelling to max level in any version of the game, obviously.

Brashnir

I don't know the context so he would very well be 100% wrong, but the highest end stuff in the game has typically always been very hard. Nothing you would run into just levelling to max level in any version of the game, obviously.

He's talking about common leveling shit.

demidar

Rorie talking about how "hard" WoW used to be cracks me up. Game was always easy as fuck.

Not for Warriors. They were everyone's bitch, even mobs in groups. This was way before we got self-preservation abilities like Victory Rush and Spell Reflect.

It is (or was, I haven't played since Cataclysm) a lot easier, especially with things like cross-server Group Finder, mounts at level 10 as opposed to 40, introduction of the Spell Power stat to give casters scaling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this happens once every fortnight or so, but if anyone has any obscure quick look or other GB video recommendations: yo

Myggen

It could take forever to level, but it was never hard. I guess those concepts are easy to mix up.

Even if farming levels was never "hard" in that you didn't die a lot, I think you could justify saying it was "hard" because it took a lot of time compared to now. But yeah, I see your point.

rakhir

It wasn't hard in terms of killing stuff. It was more of an information problem: You always had that gap between levels where you did everything you've seen and didn't know where the hell to go. Huge quests were hidden, zones were not labeled with level ranges and you had to check everything yourself, and of course sometimes you really didn't know where the hell you need to do that quest because the description were so baffling.

Now there's breadcrumb quests everywhere, quests are delivered to you in bulk and map shows where you need to do them, questing and storylines flow a lot better.

Myggen

What countries (or banks) don't have Debit cards that can be used for online transactions?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. I had never heard of it being a problem before now. I've always paid for everything online with my debit card without any problems. Most American sites say that you have to pay with a credit card ("credit card number" and "CVV"), but my debit card always works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom