• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

I've perfected the art of holding my hand over half of the screen.

I'm watching it in the tiniest window ever LOL

KKdKQxw.png

Although retina display makes it still super detailed 0_0

ElNarez

Banned
This game's scary and all but the conditions for progressing seem super obscure and abstract.

Weirdly enough, the three puzzles we've seen so far have a logic to them when you pay attention to what changes in each permutation. Explaining with SPOILERS.

The first one is
literally a blue X on the wedding picture, so you hit X while looking at it to progress.

The second one is
a graffiti about people calling from some place. And to move forward you look at a telephone.

The third one is
a whole bunch of spinning eye pictures, and you end up looking through a hole.

It makes sense in a way that totally rules because it's not "YO CHECK IT OUT THERE'S A PUZZLE HERE"

This game is pretty scary but when you start thinking about it like a typical game like trying to look at everything to trigger the next sequence, it kinda loses effectiveness. Genre problem I suppose.

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
Never watch panels. Never listen to emails. Your life will be better.
Emails have taken a weird turn lately but it's still likely my favorite part of the podcast. I kinda miss the Giant Beefcast.

Edit: Also that means you would miss Ryan drinking anonymous breast milk. The more I think about it the crazier this advice becomes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Obtuseness can really work against a game. It's losing its effectiveness when you can't figure out how to progress.

Would be nice if the next Silent Hill game had more natural progression puzzles like this that are influenced by gameplay rather than "Know every major work of Shakesphere and then rearrange books in chronological order, and use said numbers in form of a math problem"

Although I would be sad if they got rid of real puzzles altogether. 3 just had some really rough segments.

Renpatsu

What's the definition of insanity?
SILENT HILLS
Patrick's Silent Hill tweets are kind of ridiculous. It's not like the quality bar for the horror games he plays is a high one. Even if Kojima has gone with some questionable choices at times, the game will still be head and shoulders 95% of the games on Spookin'. And even if Kojima doesn't nail the horror, it'll probably still end up as a fantastic camp-fest.
He's probably just worried about the quality and execution of the narrative based purely upon his experiences with MGS.

jgminto

Patrick's Silent Hill tweets are kind of ridiculous. It's not like the quality bar for the horror games he plays is a high one. Even if Kojima has gone with some questionable choices at times, the game will still be head and shoulders 95% of the games on Spookin'. And even if Kojima doesn't nail the horror, it'll probably still end up as a fantastic camp-fest.

jgminto

He's probably just worried about the quality and execution of the narrative based purely upon his experiences with MGS.

Kojima seems like he could be a good match with horror though. I think the best horror games are a good mix of the weird/zany and the terrifying. I don't really want an Outlast-style super serious, sadistic type of game. I haven't played the silent hill series myself but much like a lot of other Japanese horror game classics they seem like they're full of weird and interesting characters and Kojima is pretty great at making weird and interesting character. Of course we could also get something like The Beauties...but I'm gonna be optimistic.

PT is basically a nightmare for me. All of that looping, illogical layout, glitching, nonsensical stuff is the scariest stuff in horror for me. Stuff out of time, place, and space makes me freak out, and PT seems to nail that idea. Even watching Scoops play made me panicked :/

Are there films that use some of those same techniques?

Renpatsu

PT is basically a nightmare for me. All of that looping, illogical layout, glitching, nonsensical stuff is the scariest stuff in horror for me. Stuff out of time, place, and space makes me freak out, and PT seems to nail that idea. Even watching Scoops play made me panicked :/

Are there films that use some of those same techniques?
Jacob's Ladder.
David Lynch films and Twin Peaks for that matter spring to mind.

Akiba's Trip just got added to the ticker for tomorrow morning, can't wait to see what the game is finally about through giantbomb. Much prefer when they play bad/silly games rather than ones I actually care about as then their constant false statements aren't frustrating :D
It's a tongue-in-cheek anime brawler, but yeah I suspect they'll either enjoy the absurdity of it all or get tired of beating up folks depending on how long they play.

Akiba's Trip just got added to the ticker for tomorrow morning, can't wait to see what the game is finally about through giantbomb. Much prefer when they play bad/silly games rather than ones I actually care about as then their constant false statements aren't frustrating :D

sub_o

Maybe this new Silent Hills will at least have better writing than Evil Bong 3.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dude it's perfectly fine to think that kojima might fuck something up through his special brand of insanity. One might even say that it's the only logical expectation, and it's up to each individual to decide if they're on board with that insanity or not.

justjim89

Drew and Dan playing through Metal Gear Solid, and not joking all the way through, sounds incredible.

Does the original MGS have the shortcut in the heat/cool the card segment where you can shoot steam and CO2 pipes in Rex's hangar so you don't have to backtrack? I've only played Twin Snakes.

Drew and Dan playing through Metal Gear Solid, and not joking all the way through, sounds incredible.

Does the original MGS have the shortcut in the heat/cool the card segment where you can shoot steam and CO2 pipes in Rex's hangar so you don't have to backtrack? I've only played Twin Snakes.

No.

big_z

People need to tweet at Patrick to play the wii version of fatal frame 2 for spooking with scoops and not the ps2 version.

People need to tweet at Patrick to play the wii version of fatal frame 2 for spooking with scoops and not the ps2 version.

He would have to unlock his console to either unlock the region/rip the game for dolphin or pirate an iso. Probably considers it too much work if he even knows it exists(I didn't catch it live)

Still can't believe it didn't come to NA. It was a remake but it's the best horror game in a long time and to pass on bringing over a nintendo produced english localization is mind-boggling.

Edit: The Hohokum quick look is hilarious, think the game looks really neat though and I wish I had bought it early to get the better price. The PS Plus discounts used to last a few days after going up :/ The area towards the ends with the wheat fields was one of the coolest things I've seen in a game on a visual level.

Myggen

Man, I can't say enough how great Brad has been as a host on the Bombcast thus far. Yesterday's episode was top-notch too, Freeing Jeff up as first chair and having Brad as a host is the best thing that could've happened to the podcast right now.

Seconded.

GOTY candidate.

Still my GOTY so far with Divinity.

justjim89

You know, if Jeff and Dan did DDP Yoga on UPF like they mention in Hohokum, DDP would probably fly himself out to be on the segment. Dude loves to promote his stuff.

popo

All Patrick did was say "I don't like this guy, I would have prefered he were not involved" and then fans defended aggresively. Pretty much every other GAF thread, including huge parts of this one.

For what it is worth, I doubt Kojima will be involved enough to ruin it, he has his own game to finish and Del Toro likes to attach his name to projects. He will likely turn up at the devs once in a while, say "eyeballs on hands, think about it!" and collect his cheque.

He did it in a pretty silly way. The post as a whole is poor(!!!) with the last paragraph nearly youtube comment level. It's fine that he dislikes Kojima but why not discuss his concerns in detail within the post instead of throwing around extra punctuation and three word sentences. It's not a big deal at all but some effort could be put into it given it's his job. Just wish writing in games journalism was better in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom