• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

He did it in a pretty silly way. The post as a whole is poor(!!!) with the last paragraph nearly youtube comment level. It's fine that he dislikes Kojima but why not discuss his concerns in detail within the post instead of throwing around extra punctuation and three word sentences. It's not a big deal at all but some effort could be put into it given it's his job. Just wish writing in games journalism was better in general.

Well, he's discussed his dislike for Kojima's approach to Ground Zeroes, which I'm betting is a huge part of it, at length before. But people who are not fans of GB will probably not know of that backstory, so he probably could've explained it a bit better.

Still, I thought the tweet was fine. Twitter is an awful place to explain anything, but it got the point across pretty well. You have to be able to say that you don't like Kojima at this point, even without backing it up, without being accused of being a troll or whatever, like some people have. The "Love, PK" stuff of the next tweet was a bit much though :p

Anways, Kojima and GDT's involvement in the project is still very much unknown right now, from what I can gather. GDT likes to attach his name to every project in the world, so who knows about him. I'm guessing Kojima will be more involved.

Yay at Dan and Drew playing Metal Gear Solid!! I, like Drew, have never played the Metal Gear games so this should be a great way to get into the series.

demidar

Yay at Dan and Drew playing Metal Gear Solid!! I, like Drew, have never played the Metal Gear games so this should be a great way to get into the series.

Despite many people's claim that the Metal Gear games are more like movies than games, I would argue that they are one of the few games where expression through gameplay is mostly possible (bound within the confines of the story of course). Compared to other games, the Metal Gear series allows a huge amount of ways to tackle any obstacle, something you can't get from watching dudes play the game. Post MGS1, the game's systems are design so well that no-kill runs are possible, and the in-game world reaction to player actions is almost unheard of.

Zaph

The thing I'm most impressed about is that it was a genuine surprise.

They're making a sequel to a major franchise, with a famous dev and director on board, and they've cast a fan-favourite actor. That alone is a big achievement in and of itself. But to then have a teaser/demo ready to go immediately and it's still not leaked (AFAIK)? That shit is impressive and I'm glad it's something that can still happen.

Wait, what? Are you talking about the Demo Derby or have they announced another video feature on the Bombcast? (not listened yet)

sub_o

The thing I'm most impressed about is that it was a genuine surprise.

They're making a sequel to a major franchise, with a famous dev and director on board, and they've cast a fan-favourite actor. That alone is a big achievement in and of itself. But to then have a teaser/demo ready to go immediately and it's still not leaked (AFAIK)? That shit is impressive and I'm glad it's something that can still happen.

Wait, what? Are you talking about the Demo Derby or have they announced another video feature on the Bombcast? (not listened yet)

They just announced new premium video feature, Drew will be playing thru MGS while Dan provides additional commentaries. Dan jokingly said that from MGS 1 - 4, he doesn't allow half hearted approach.

Their MGS talk starts around 1:15

Rainmaker

Banned

Drew and Dan bring it up again on the Bombcast. Seems they are really excited to try it out and see how it goes.

EDIT: Beat

sub_o

Drew and Dan bring it up again on the Bombcast. Seems they are really excited to try it out and see how it goes.

Just Beat It, Beat It

They're Out To Get You, Better Leave While You Can
Don't Wanna Be A Boy, You Wanna Be A Man
You Wanna Stay Alive, Better Do What You Can
So Beat It, Just Beat It

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
They just announced new premium video feature, Drew will be playing thru MGS while Dan provides additional commentaries.

Whaaaaaaat? That is awesome.

I tried to go back to MGS2 with the HD version on ps3 last summer but had a bit of difficulty getting used to the controls. Then when I did, I couldn't help myself trying to stick up every soldier and get their tags, even though I already did that and played through the game multiple times when it originally came out.

hamchan

They just announced new premium video feature, Drew will be playing thru MGS while Dan provides additional commentaries. Dan jokingly said that from MGS 1 - 4, he doesn't allow half hearted approach.

Dan gets things done and brings great ideas for new content too. Once again, what a perfect fit for Giant Bomb.

(Though now I wish he didn't spoil some of MGS for Drew)

Zaph

Oh my god.

I know it's unlikely, but I really hope they do full playthroughs and not just highlights from each. I've only ever played the PS1's MGS and would love to see Kojima's madness without having to play his madness.

Also, holy shit I feel bad for non-premiums (but not really). I hope you like Quick Looks, because all the good shit is under lock and key.

Haha I think Jeff was asked to try and beat the almost impossible first game of Blitzball in FFX. Not surprised he thought it was bullshit. I ended up enjoying that minigame though.

Myggen

Still no spookin' archive?

Patrick usually uploads it the day after. So it will probably be up later today.

Haha I think Jeff was asked to try and beat the almost impossible first game of Blitzball in FFX. Not surprised he thought it was bullshit. I ended up enjoying that minigame though.

I had a friend who I think put more hours into that minigame when FFX first came out than the actual game, and he beat the game! Granted, we were about 15 at the time and had a lot of free time, but still.

elfinke

Jazzpunk is on sale on Steam and everyone should buy it.

Everyone.

God I loved this game. Just wonderful.

After watching - and enjoying - the Drew+Dan demo derby vid, hearing now that they will follow through on the MGS thing is great news. I'm hoping Jeff sits in on one or two, as well.

I fucking love Blitzball and the team management malarkey around it. Like Football Manger if made by Kairosoft.

demidar

I had a friend who I think put more hours into that minigame when FFX first came out than the actual game, and he beat the game! Granted, we were about 15 at the time and had a lot of free time, but still.

I don't know why I still remember this, but the first Blitzball game can be easy (we're talking about the one in Luca right?). There is this QTE with Tidus knocking around a blitzball while on a boat's deck while simultaneously suffering from a flashback, and if you manage to do it you learn the Jecht Shot II which trivializes most scoring attempts because it knocks out the first two defenders of a shot, including the goalie.

I think it's a real shame that MGS's cinematic ambitions have seemed to put the impression in a lot of people that they suffer mechanically when that's as far from the truth as you can get. They're easily the most involved stealth games out there, and since MGS 3 they've been pretty fun to play as action games too if that's your thing. The attention to detail is unparalleled, the variety and tools at your disposal endless, and so on. Even if you skip every cutscene you're still getting some of the best games ever made.

Metal Gear Solid 4 definitely had a few segments that weren't as open ended as they were designed around story beats but even there they were a very small portion. Phantom Pain really seems like a return to basics, pure stealth experience with an emphasis on movement options. Just watch the cardboard box video showing how many ways they can be used and realize nearly everything in the games are at the same level of detail. Ground Zeroes was just a taste but even there it was some of the most tense stealth encounters I've played through in a game, Kojima really seems to have the right idea for the expanded scope of Phantom Pain.

Really think everyone should play them, even if you don't care for the stories.

Renpatsu

I think the biggest problem with Blitzball is that they frontload so much explanation (and even then not elucidated clear enough) in a game that up until that point has done a fairly good job of working tutorials into the game naturally that it simply sours people to the experience.

Also the fact that it isn't Triple Triad.

demidar

Yep, even if you remove all the cutscenes from MGS4, I think it still should've received GotY just on gameplay merit alone.

What other game allows you to hold enemies up, shake them down for items, squeeze their balls to incapacitate them (which obviously doesn't work on female soldiers, they get disgusted and kick you in the face instead) then search through the rest of their items by picking them up and dropping them on the floor. What about shooting an enemy's radio to disable alerts? Knocking out bosses with CQC, stun grenades or tranq guns?

That kind of design, system interactivity and attention to detail is why I hold Kojima in high regard.

I wasn't hyped for Ground Zeroes but I will probably be picking up Phantom Pain.

^ Ground Zeroes was entirely too expensive for what you actually got, but I was actually very, very impressed at what scraps were actually there. Hearing that MGS5 is just that but MORE is the best possible news. Plus the base building from Peace Walker? I'm drooling.

MGS4 was designed for someone like me, who actually buys into the silly plots entirely and wanted to see the resolution to the plotlines in the Solid Snake-based games. I completely understand why anybody else would look at it and be turned off.

I'm like Dan though. It's entirely possible that the MGS games are my favorite series of all time. The people that those games grab get grabbed hard.

I need to know Patrick's stance on Suda51, because if it's what I think it is, then we are of completely opposing viewpoints on games and I will take his opinions lightly.

Alucrid

Banned
I think the biggest problem with Blitzball is that they frontload so much explanation (and even then not elucidated clear enough) in a game that up until that point has done a fairly good job of working tutorials into the game naturally that it simply sours people to the experience.

Also the fact that it isn't Triple Triad.
Weird way to spell tetra master

LeBart

wait, you can lose the first Blitzball game?!

image.php

I played the first 20 hours of FF X probably 5 or 6 times, I always lost that match.

Myggen

image.php

I played the first 20 hours of FF X probably 5 or 6 times, I always lost that match.

Yep, it's designed to be nearly impossible. There's ways to beat it and ways to cheese the match, but I doubt anyone has beat it on their first try unless they were somehow incredibly lucky.

demidar

Yep, it's designed to be nearly impossible. There's ways to beat it and ways to cheese the match, but I doubt anyone has beat it on their first try unless they were somehow incredibly lucky.

Second try for me, but it was actually a second playthrough after my first stalled some time before reaching Zanarkand.

I've played through FFX a couple of times. I only lost the first match in my first playthrough when I had no idea what was going on. That tutorial is pretty shit.

Went through the tutorial more carefully the next time and that match isn't that bad. Also Blitzball is the best Final Fantasy minigame.

I bought Final Fantasy X/2 HD on Vita for £15.49 and downloaded all 6.7 GB of it in less than an hour.

Took me like 5 hours just to get FFX.

Volotaire

I think (perhaps this is the skeptic in me) that both of them are just names on the box and they will have little input on the game except for artistic direction and the overall direction.

Myggen

I suspect Del Toro will have a stronger presence, but who knows.

Because of Del Toro's track record of just putting his name on everything, I always expect his involvement to be be minimal when he's just announced to be "involved" in a project. Hope to be proven wrong, of course.

popo

Even if Del Toro committed and came up with whole design doc full of crazy monster designs I suspect Konami would be just like "these are great but where is pyramid head? also spooky sexy zombie nurses. It isn't a Silent Hill without the nurses!" Kojima would then justify the nurses by saying they are the dead souls of rape victims and that is why they have no clothes.

You do realize there have been a few Silent Hill games since Homecoming right? Outside of Book of Memories which was some kind of weird fan service project from hell none of those things were in Shattered Memories or Downpour.

Edit: Not to mention it was Silent Hill 3 that made Pyramid Head part of the town's lore rather than just something of James's psyche. Silent Hill 2 is really the only the game in the series to have such extensive symbolism throughout relating to the protagonist. Silent Hill 3 is much more about the town, the Room isn't even about the main character, and every game after either didn't bother to capture the same tone at all or was its own thing(ie, Shattered Memories)

popo

You do realize there have been a few Silent Hill games since Homecoming right? SNIP

yeah, I was taking the piss.

Although, if this one is a reboot I bet they shoehorn all that shit in.

I was always too young for the first three SH games and they didn't age well enough to appeal later and I tried one of the new ones (homecoming maybe?) and wasn't a fan. so as far as I am concerned Del Toro and Kojima can do what they like and they would not be ruining anything for me.

OH GOD YOU'VE TRAUMATIZED ME YOU KNAVE

what am i missing, that is just like a lychee isn't it?

Now if it were a see urchin ... ugh, people eat that shit,

gonads.jpg

yeah, I was taking the piss.

Although, if this one is a reboot I bet they shoehorn all that shit in.

I was always too young for the first three SH games and they didn't age well enough to appeal later and I tried one of the new ones (homecoming maybe?) and wasn't a fan. so as far as I am concerned Del Toro and Kojima can do what they like and they would not be ruining anything for me.

Have you tried 2 or 3 recently? 2 has some poor character models and animations but it and 3 both play pretty well to this day. Silent Hill never had the same control issues as the Resident Evil games. 3 in particular still looks incredible and feels very modern.

chogidogs

Lychees and Sea Urchin are delicious! Durian however... No chance in hell I'd give that thing another chance. Now there's real horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom