• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renpatsu

12 minutes in and they already got a game over.
Edit: I think I'll play this with the Japanese VO instead. Persona 4 this is not.
Edit2: They should have just skipped through ALL the dialogue and beat up folks for an hour instead. They never really get out from the tutorial missions either.
Edit3: That quick look was debilitating. They should have just wandered around Akihabara and pointed out the sights that they recognised for an hour.

Lijik

*checks homepage*

Oh, this thread is about to get super anime, isn't it?

tumblr_mwpyp2q3Od1rsxujmo1_400.gif

Dang it, I was going to wait for the PS4 version of Akiba's Trip but I'm really itching to get the lesser PS3 version just to have it now. :(

Also someone uploaded Jeff's Funky Barn stream to the youtube channel and it's cracking me up.

Im not a big fan of the Jeff/Dan pair up for Quick Looks, especially on something dumb like Akiba. It needs someone like Vinny to offset the negativity.

Zaph

Im not a big fan of the Jeff/Dan pair up for Quick Looks, especially on something dumb like Akiba. It needs someone like Vinny to offset the negativity.

Will East/West quick look begging become the new port begging? Asking for Dan/Vinny content like wondering when will Nintendo go multiplat?

Renpatsu

How much did patrick play of PT?
Most of it, about an hour or so of it in fact until he crossed the threshold of being scared and became annoyed at the design decisions in the game that had him becoming increasingly frustrated. So then he pulled up a Youtube video of the ending and that was that.

Will East/West quick look begging become the new port begging? Asking for Dan/Vinny content like wondering when will Nintendo go multiplat?

I wasnt asking for that, I was pretty much just saying that having two cynics on the one video wasnt great.

I would hate to think what would have become of the Persona 4 Endurance run for example if it had been Jeff and Dan instead of Vinny.

Myggen

I wasnt asking for that, I was pretty much just saying that having two cynics on the one video wasnt great.

I would hate to think what would have become of the Persona 4 Endurance run for example if it had been Jeff and Dan instead of Vinny.

Dan is pretty much the opposite of a cynic in most regards.

Renpatsu

To be absolutely objectively accurately fair... Akiba's Trip doesn't have Chie Satonaka or a portal to the meat dimension in it at all.

Dan is pretty much the opposite of a cynic in most regards.
He's 0 or 100 and nothing in between.

Zaph

I'm just joking dude. I wouldn't call Dan a cynic, but yeah, I get what you mean.

Myggen

Fine, poorly worded from me but you get what I mean right?

Kinda in regards to this game, in that he's not as big a fan of goofy Japanese shit as Vinny is. But if you watch any of the Super Replays he did over at GI for old, strange Japanese games, for Tail of the Sun etc. you can see that he's plenty open for that kind of stuff. I just think this didn't click because it reminded him of Yakuza or something :p

We can all agree that Vinny is awesome though!

He's 0 or 100 and nothing in between.

I would more say that it's not often he downright hates a game (older Tomb Raider games excluded). He's more often 100 than most, but there's a lot of room inbetween, as seen in other QLs.

I didn't think it was very negative. Just rightfully eye-rolling at some of the obvious flaws and the sketchy translation. Jeff seemed like he genuinely wanted to find things to like, but the game looks pretty bad. In the One Piece QL they seemed to genuinely like portions of the game and were not really cynical. I guess I just don't see it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, the Persona 4 writing might actually hook him more. Akiba's trip's script is probably best appreciated by people who actually like anime and can appreciate the tropes being poked at whilst persona 4 is much less about playing on tropes.

I think its possibly also my own issue with Dan where when he doesnt like something, its not just that he doesnt like it but he becomes a bit obnoxious to the point where stuff stops being entertaining for me. I really like his enthusiasm for stuff he does like (apart from wrestling) but when its the opposite it really puts a downer on content for me.

Antiwhippy

I think its possibly also my own issue with Dan where when he doesnt like something, its not just that he doesnt like it but he becomes a bit obnoxious to the point where stuff stops being entertaining for me. I really like his enthusiasm for stuff he does like (apart from wrestling) but when its the opposite it really puts a downer on content for me.

I don't know how you survived giantbomb for so long then because that's how it's been for awhile now.

Especially Jeff.

daydream

Banned
The writing in Akiba's Trip is unbearable. And I'm not only talking about the dialogues.

Do we have any idea what that secret thing for today is gonna be by the way?

Mario Party 2 Party???

I would like nothing more, but I doubt it's gonna be MP. Wouldn't have hinted at it they way they did if it was, Watters wouldn't have brought it up, etc. etc.

Would love to be wrong, of course.

I don't know how you survived giantbomb for so long then because that's how it's been for awhile now.

Especially Jeff.

Its a personal thing though isnt it i guess. I never found Jeff obnoxious. At his worst its the stuff with Yoshi and Shenmue and he's freely admitted that he puts that on to wind people up more than he actually cares about the games.

Antiwhippy

Its a personal thing though isnt it i guess. I never found Jeff obnoxious. At his worst its the stuff with Yoshi and Shenmue and he's freely admitted that he puts that on to wind people up more than he actually cares about the games.

Depends how you define obnoxious I guess. In fact my first memory of discovering giantbomb is watching them shitting on stuff like blazblue and tatsunoko vs capcom and going "WTF is his problem.", before going "nah dude is pretty cool whatever.".

Also everytime a dynasty warriors games gets released I wait in anticipation for all the angry dynasty warriors fans to emerge. :p

I dunno, as far as the enthusiasm vs cynicism thing goes Dan is like the polar opposite of Jeff.

Curufinwe

Finally got confirmation on the Bombcast that Brad never played REmake on the GC. I have said for years that, if they hadn't played it already, him and Vinny playing thru the Wii version would have been a great piece of Premium content.

Dan likes RE, so he could sub in for Vinny in this case once the new version comes out. Maybe play on Hard and bring back Breaking Brad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom