• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Am I crazy or has Brad always had the same haircut?

TWUOruA.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
So when you save in metal gear solid does the game remembers the state of the pal key card? Because i remember that if you took too long the card returned to normal, also man i used to remember the backtracking for the card being a huge deal back in the day but i see now it's not bad at all.

When you think about it the whole game is really not that big. Especially compared to more modern games. I mean map surface wise of course.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Brad took nothing but quaaludes before going on camera in those days

The CBSi live player definitely kicks out HTML5 compatible video - it plays on iOS and you can direct link it if you dig into the source. Doesn't sound like there should be a problem, but I don't really use an Android device any more so wouldn't know.

Ok, I'll have to give it a try at some point. Maybe I'll even stay up until 1:30 am tomorrow! /badass

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
When you think about it the whole game is really not that big. Especially compared to more modern games. I mean map surface wise of course.

Yes i think when we were younger people were impressed by the scale of the game and were making the backtracking to be a huge deal however Drew showed that stuff took like 2 minutes max, ah what nostalgia can do to your memories.

Mr. Hot Coldman, are you going to announce the winning title for the next thread here in this thread or leave us guessing? Also, i really want to see a list of all the entries, so i can judge your judgment accordingly

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yes i think when we were younger people were impressed by the scale of the game and were making the backtracking to be a huge deal however Drew showed that stuff took like 2 minutes max, ah what nostalgia can do to your memories.

Backtracking in general gets a lot of hate, I've never really understood it. It's one thing to not want to replay the same areas over and over again (I feel like I should point out that I'm not talking about Destiny here), but there are people who are completely against the idea of going through an area they already passed by. Metroid Prime had a lot of people complaining about it back when it first came out, and revisiting previous areas is a core concept of Metroid.

Mr. Hot Coldman, are you going to announce the winning title for the next thread here in this thread or leave us guessing? Also, i really want to see a list of all the entries, so i can judge your judgment accordingly

I'll post the list in the next OT. You'll know the title when it goes up. I'll probably leave a link to thread title suggestions for thread #11 in the next OP too, so it can be a more formal vote towards the end of thread #10, as opposed to how I'm just fishing for suggestions now.

No Jeff for UPF means we might get another Alexis sighting! Maybe even Mary/Danny. Either way i'm happy.

Edit: wtf i'm off the top poster's list? how far i've fallen....

tchocky

No Jeff for UPF means we might get another Alexis sighting! Maybe even Mary/Danny. Either way i'm happy.

Edit: wtf i'm off the top poster's list? how far i've fallen....

Danny posted a pic on twitter from a plane over texas, which is probably why the had Mary on the QLs.

Backtracking in general gets a lot of hate, I've never really understood it. It's one thing to not want to replay the same areas over and over again (I feel like I should point out that I'm not talking about Destiny here), but there are people who are completely against the idea of going through an area they already passed by. Metroid Prime had a lot of people complaining about it back when it first came out, and revisiting previous areas is a core concept of Metroid.

I feel like the complaints are less about backtracking in MGS and more about how the PAL card stuff is just obvious filler. MGS is a really, really small game in scope, so when a game that small throws filler at you, it sort of blows. The complaints were such that they included those pipes in Twin Snakes that let you avoid the backtracking altogether.

In metroid, backtracking is part of the game's design. You take a step back so that you can take several steps forward. You don't want to get every single missile expansion? Fine, you don't have to backtrack that much, the game will allow you to continue without it. But the backtracking in MGS is there to artificial extend the game's playlength, and that tends to rub some the wrong way.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I feel like the complaints are less about backtracking in MGS and more about how the PAL card stuff is just obvious filler. MGS is a really, really small game in scope, so when a game that small throws filler at you, it sort of blows. The complaints were such that they included those pipes in Twin Snakes that let you avoid the backtracking altogether.

In metroid, backtracking is part of the game's design. You take a step back so that you can take several steps forward. You don't want to get every single missile expansion? Fine, you don't have to backtrack that much, the game will allow you to continue without it. But the backtracking in MGS is there to artificial extend the game's playlength, and that tends to rub some the wrong way.

The game is 90% filler! Running back and forth, waiting for guard patterns, waiting for alerts to drop, watching cut scenes, shooting bosses in the face seventy five times before they fall over. Complaining about all of the filler in MGS games would take longer than actually playing through the filler.

The game is 90% filler! Running back and forth, waiting for guard patterns, waiting for alerts to drop, watching cut scenes, shooting bosses in the face seventy five times before they fall over. Complaining about all of the filler in MGS games would take longer than actually playing through the filler.

naw, c'mon, don't misconstrue my statement. That PAL card key segment is filler, through and through. It was like they finished the game, got to the end of it and said, "well wait a minute, this shit is like really short. Let's bolt something on here at the end to extend it a bit." I mean, you can argue that it's not filler but c'mon, no one has ever said "remember that part with the key cards and the temperatures in MGS1? Wasn't that, like, the best or what?"

Anywho, i didn't finish the latest video because i had to go to work, but do they end up sniping the guards around the metal gear? I loved picking those guys off and just wandering around the area, all free and clear of danger.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Dan should watch all the bond movies. Most of them are great.

The Gauntlet QL was fun, but it also had a good bit of that infuriating thing where if they just read the screen and/or paid attention a little they would know the answers to various questions that kept coming up (division of gold among players, the purpose of skull coins, etc.).

Halloween falls on a Friday this year. I wanna see Drew in a Solid Snake costume on UPF. He says "...Metal Gear?" too well.

Jeff can dress as Toejam. Or Earl. I forget which is which.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom