• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renpatsu

RUDDSSSS!
image.php

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
We'll be doing the HD Collection versions. I know there is a *very small* bit of content cut from them, but I can show him videos. Not worth playing a technically inferior version of a game for 10+ hours for like 5 minutes of cut content.

As long as missile jump is shown, thats the most important thing.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I know that; I simply never used automatic weapons when sneaking around. Only during forced alert scenarios. I used the hold-up mechanic with automatic weapons for the first time two years ago when doing the VR missions, as some required the player to hold-up some enemies with the AK.

In fact, I think the only moment in the game that had me use rifles was the last bit with Snake in Arsenal. I just used my tranquilizer for the whole game to take out soldiers and bosses.

Ah right. Yeah now that I think about it, I don't think I really used rifles in 2 that much, but aiming with them was frequently very useful in 3.

Scizzy

BRAD - NOW THAT YOU ARE HAVE SPOKEN AGAIN, I HAVE A BONE TO PICK:

Why did you pass up the chance to talk about your awesome guinea pigs on the podcast this week? They are too cute not to hear about.

edit: I guess it's easy to miss (I missed it) so w/e. All I really want is that Metal Gear Scanlon 2 is called "Sons of Drewberty"

"Metal Gear Scanlon 2: Sons of Drewberty"

I love it !

There should be a Dan pun for Metal Gear Scanlon 3. Its subtitle is "Snake Eater" and Dan has the reputation of being super weird when it comes to food and eating.

Somebody think of something clever.

hamchan

Is it really weird reading this thread sometimes I feel like it would be really weird when it gets all creepy

I think it'll be weird seeing people with avatars of your own face.

Also finished pt 10 of MGS. Seems like pretty happy times now that Drew is used to the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
We'll be doing the HD Collection versions. I know there is a *very small* bit of content cut from them, but I can show him videos. Not worth playing a technically inferior version of a game for 10+ hours for like 5 minutes of cut content.

They already have a whole website that's nothing but that.

I've wondered about this since Dan started popping in here. It seems like the GB community took you by surprise at first with the WOW clone coming to talk to you and the live show turnout etc, but how weird is it to be working somewhere with such a strong community that they also congregate on a message forum entirely unrelated to your site? That seems even more surreal to me than a large group of people gathering to see you in person.

Then again, I've never been cheered for superkicking a coworker on stage, so my perspective is all off.

Make sure it's the PS3 version since I can imagine it being nightmarish on 360 without pressure sensitive buttons.

cross-posting here in case there are confused people.

Tappi Iwase is the composer of the "Metal Gear theme", not Harry Gregson-Williams. HGS simply remixed it for MGS2 and 3. The theme first appeared in Metal Gear Solid Integral in Japan and VR Missions in the west.

You can hear it here.

As an added bit, here's Georgy Sviridov's Winter Road, from which Tappi probably plagiarized the theme.

I know that; I simply never used automatic weapons when sneaking around. Only during forced alert scenarios. I used the hold-up mechanic with automatic weapons for the first time two years ago when doing the VR missions, as some required the player to hold-up some enemies with the AK.

In fact, I think the only moment in the game that had me use rifles was the last bit with Snake in Arsenal. I just used my tranquilizer for the whole game to take out soldiers and bosses.

I'm pretty sure that there were certain VR/Alternate Missions in Substance that required you to do hold ups with an AK or M4.

Anyone else pick up Fenix Rage after hearing Danny talk about it on the bombcast? If you are looking for a challenging game check it out, it's on sale for $11. Hopefully GB does some coverage on it, would make a great Breaking Brad series.

Alucrid

Banned
I've wondered about this since Dan started popping in here. It seems like the GB community took you by surprise at first with the WOW clone coming to talk to you and the live show turnout etc, but how weird is it to be working somewhere with such a strong community that they also congregate on a message forum entirely unrelated to your site? That seems even more surreal to me than a large group of people gathering to see you in person.

Then again, I've never been cheered for superkicking a coworker on stage, so my perspective is all off.

i buy a giantbomb sub

been on the forum like...once...and that was only because it was about neogaf and posted here

xanavi

When Dan said he was good at math up until the "abstract stuff" I was surprised but then he gave the example of Pythagoras' Theorem and I lost it. If only he knew how real the struggle was.

Actually, I guess I don't know how they're going to handle bonus content. Some of the Snake Tales at least are too good to pass up.

I think Snake Tales should absolutely be played, if only because Drew should be pretty good at MGS by time he reaches them.

Snakeboarding should be on UPF one day. Like Guy Savage, that's a PS2 only deal, but it's so good.

Risible

Been listening to this week's podcast and when Dan details his triple cheese mac and cheese the best part is Danny's awed almost-whisper in the background "He is the most American person in the world!"

ow15Hq7.gif

bonercop

When Dan said he was good at math up until the "abstract stuff" I was surprised but then he gave the example of Pythagoras' Theorem and I lost it. If only he knew how real the struggle was.

i didn't want to post it, but yeah, i'm pretty sure that's something they teach in first year of highschool

Guys, the frog coitus out back behind the Kansas bar, is that Frog Fractions 2?

Been listening to this week's podcast and when Dan details his triple cheese mac and cheese the best part is Danny's awed almost-whisper in the background "He is the most American person in the world!"

ow15Hq7.gif
Yep. He and Drew drop some great one liners. Even if unintentionally. I fucking lost it when he yelled "Abort!"

Real Drew has not been in any of today's quick looks, it was Gamespot's Fake Drew all along.

Fake Drew is going to take over MGS and AltF1 when Real Drew leaves.on holiday

Today was a test, and he passed

popo

Real Drew has not been in any of today's quick looks, it was Gamespot's Fake Drew all along.

Fake Drew is going to take over MGS and AltF1 when Real Drew leaves.on holiday

Today was a test, and he passed

Nice try. Fake Drew can't do the Drew voice. His fatal flaw.

megalowho

I know there are other ways to watch Giant Bomb content but I'm absolutely loving the Giant Bomb Buddy App together with my Chromecast. Watching old UPFs or even the Metal Gear Scanlon content on a huge television is awesome.

Do you guys have any old UPFs you can recommend? I think I only started watching those at the end of 2013.
Same, it's the best. If there was a way to watch live premium shows via Chromecast now I'd be all set with GB content across the board.

Most old UPF's are worth at least a scrub through but a few that have memorable segments just going by thumbnails are 10/4/13, 8/23/13, 8/2/13 and 7/26/13.

Bacon

The Lego Island Segment of one of the UPFs (can't remember which one) is not to be missed. Might be my all time favorite giant bomb moment.

I'm also biased because I loved that game as a kid but didn't realize how batshit insane it was when i was younger. Interesting looking back at it in an entirely different frame of mind.

Edit:

It was in the 02/08/13 UPF.

Zaph

Same, it's the best. If there was a way to watch live premium shows via Chromecast now I'd be all set with GB content across the board.

Safari's native video player works with AppleTV, does Android's web browser not have Chromecast support? That would let you watch live premium shows on your TV.

Another workaround (which I use a lot with my iPad) is to install Splashtop (video optimised VNC app) on a PC. You can then launch the Android app and Chromecast it to your TV. I use a similar setup to play PC games on my patio when the weather's nice (just plug in a wireless 360 controller and you're golden).

Also, you Android folk might want to check out Luchadeer. Similar app, but the creator said he might try adding the GB Unarchived Youtube channel to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom