• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

At some point you have to accept that he has to meet the responsibilities of his job with the PR talk, and the inevitable good PR he will give to Sony if they talk about that subject. I too noticed it quite early in the podcast, but I surfaced past that once the talk got more entertaining with Dan and Drake and other subjects. Given that he's basically a regular on Giantbomb, I can forgive his PR talk more than others on the Giantbomb post shows or Quicklook EX's.

ErichWK

I've never really gotten into giant bomb or bomb cast or anything. ..but I loved dan and Jason when they were in game informer and ever since they left GI just hasn't been the same. How is the community liking the greatest man that ever lived, Dan Ryckert? I might have to start getting involved to hear his idiocy again. I miss it.

Volotaire

I've never really gotten into giant bomb or bomb cast or anything. ..but I loved dan and Jason when they were in game informer and ever since they left GI just hasn't been the same. How is the community liking the greatest man that ever lived, Dan Ryckert? I might have to start getting involved to hear his idiocy again. I miss it.

Dan is incredible. For all the right and wrong reasons. Giantbomb certainly made one of the best choices hiring him. It doesn't sound like there is shortage of his 'idiocy' either here.

the site is mostly danryckert.com at the moment

if that helps

ErichWK

Okay. That's it. I'm going to start involving myself in giant bomb. I still love game informers stuff but miss Dan. What shows should I start getting into. Or podcasts by them.

binhoker

Banned
Anyone who thinks that drakes recent bombcast appearance could be counted as "spin" or "pr" clearly has little experience of either and even less liscence to critique.

I'm amazed just how literal minded some people here are. I don't count myself a huge fan if drake ( he can be funny if overbearing ) but the irony defiency in this thread beggars belief.

Zaph

It's been a revelation. It's like he's been distilled Giant Bomb his entire life and he's finally home.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Okay. That's it. I'm going to start involving myself in giant bomb. I still love game informers stuff but miss Dan. What shows should I start getting into. Or podcasts by them.

Any of the bombcasts he has been on have been great.

Mario Party stream is a good introduction to everyone and how they respond to Dan.

ErichWK

It's been a revelation. It's like he's been distilled Giant Bomb his entire life and he's finally home.
Ha. That fucking rules! If you guys are fans of Dan, I really recommend watching the Game Informer Super Replays that involve him. He is the biggest lovable troll that derails everything. Especially the Overblood Super Replay.

Elite QL was great. I know Drew opted against doing an X: Rebirth QL because it was broken and janky as hell, but I'd love to see them do a QL since they've done their 2.0 relaunch. I don't know offhand if the relaunch actually made the game any better, but I still want more "Dan in space" content.

newjeruse

Watching the GB OT, and I'm shocked with how much Jeff has soured on Walking Dead. He seemed to write them off as "Just more zombie shit", but didn't really bring up the game itself during the GOTY debates. Hearing that he really detest it as an experience is dissapointing - TWD is one of the biggest evolutions in the gaming medium this generation. Dan jumping on that bandwagon as well is suprising.

What's GB OT? I'll watch anything where Jeff crushes TWD.

Zaph

Anyone who thinks that drakes recent bombcast appearance could be counted as "spin" or "pr" clearly has little experience of either and even less liscence to critique.

I'm amazed just how literal minded some people here are. I don't count myself a huge fan if drake ( he can be funny if overbearing ) but the irony defiency in this thread beggars belief.
The gaming/'geek' community, in general, is incredibly over sensitive. Just look at the seriousness of people's posts when it comes to Jeff/Dan/whoever giving opinions about stuff. "OMG is he trolling?", "Is he really that ignorant?", "I bet he hasn't even *played* that game", "Taco Bell!?!".

However, even though I think Drake was more than fine (with his new position, I think he handled those subjects perfectly), considering how fucked this industry is, I don't blame anyone for being over sensitive to shilling. With everything going on with Youtubers/Kickstarter/advertorial/publisher created content/etc, gamers *need* to be more skeptical in general.

In that case, welcome to the thread, make yourself at home, tea & bikkies in the corner.

scaffa

Ha. That fucking rules! If you guys are fans of Dan, I really recommend watching the Game Informer Super Replays that involve him. He is the biggest lovable troll that derails everything. Especially the Overblood Super Replay.

Oh yeah for sure! After Dan joined GB I watched most of the Super Replays and i'm currently watching the Trapt one. It's great. Dan is fantastic, or should I say Dantastic!

Yeah!

Nishastra

Banned
Personally, I always suggest Cyberia as a starting point. The first episode gets so good, so fast. Second one is a bit rough, but the game just has so many great fuck-you moments.

Cyberia and Cyberia 2 are like a constant stream of garbage.

Tucah

you speak so well

The past month or so of podcasts have all had Dan (and the first one that he was in, from the very end of June, I believe, had Jason as well). Check out the Ghost Ship Aftermath and Mount Your Friends Quick Looks for some of the more entertaining of Dan's non-Premium content (in my opinion, of course, others will probably give you other suggestions.

Dipper145

Read about 1/3rd of Airforce Gator now. It's actually pretty funny. I would say it's probably one of the greatest achievements in the history of dan ryckert.

Myggen

As others have said, all the Bombcasts he's been on are worth a listen. Of videos where he's involved that aren't behind a paywall, I recommend (off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed a lot): Don Bradman Cricket 14 QL, TMNT Trainer Lair QL, Mount Your Friends QL, Twisted Metal 2 Encyclopedia Bombcastica. He's also been a part of a bunch of great Premium videos (he has a series where he plays World of Warcraft for the first time, he and another staff member started a feature where they play old demo discs of games which got a pretty overwhelmingly positive reception here and on the site, and he's on the weekly Friday show where they play random games and talk shit...they played a game of Pog this week because of Dan), and more info on that stuff is in the OP of this thread!

Chuck

Still without luck

yesss more converts to the way of the Bomb. o_o

kvk1

Dan has been such a breath of fresh air for the website.

Really happy with how things are evolving.

GBeast shenanigans included.

Flandy

I'm so close to buying a Premium Giant Bomb subscription right now it's ridiculous. The only thing holding me back is there's a game I'm going to buy next month. Do most people in this thread have Premium? I see a lot of people talking about UPF which I can't watch.

FHIZ

BackRevolvingBoubou.gif

Haven't laughed that much during a UPF in a while. The face of defeat!

I'm so close to buying a Premium Giant Bomb subscription right now it's ridiculous. The only thing holding me back is there's a game I'm going to buy next month. Do most people in this thread have Premium? I see a lot of people talking about UPF which I can't watch.

Yup a lot of people have premium ! you could get yourself a Month sub to check out some of the greatest videos of all time.

Haunted

I had a couple different tabs open and didn't realise that Mount Your Friends had that kind of soundtrack for a really long time. :lol

Excellent choice.

If you want to save some money, I believe Giant Bomb runs a promotion through Reddit wherein you buy Reddit Gold (which is like $4) and then you get 2 months of Giant Bomb Premium for free.

BearPawB

Banned

I think it's worth it. So many hours of content. It is the least i can do to give something back

Myggen

I'm guessing most if not all of the active posters in this thread have Premium membership. For me it's worth it for UPF alone. They've been putting out some amazing Premium content lately (Vinny's solo streams of Bot Colony and Velvet Sundown, Mario Party Party, Demo Derby etc.). You could also sub for a month and see if you like it if you're hesitant to commit to the full year just yet!

I'm not sure if I can wait until the inevitable Thanksgiving sale to sub up again. I let it lapse last year.

But Dan Ryckert is the lightning rod that is driving them into the new millennium. Holy shit has everything with him been good, especially Quick Look wise. Jason being on board means a lot more Drew, too!

Tucah

you speak so well

I would guess pretty much all the regulars have it. You can always just get a monthly sub and try it out for a month before you commit to a year. A lot of their best content is premium (since generally most of the stuff that's not a quick look is premium) and there's a ton of premium series running at the moment (mostly thanks to Dan, it seems). If you like the guys and want more content, it is absolutely worth it.

Flandy

If you want to save some money, I believe Giant Bomb runs a promotion through Reddit wherein you buy Reddit Gold (which is like $4) and then you get 2 months of Giant Bomb Premium for free.

Seems you also get $10 off a yearly subscription if you do that.

I think it's worth it. So many hours of content. It is the least i can do to give something back

I didn't say it wasn't worth it. I know it'll be worth it. It's just I'm really looking forward to DanganRonpa 2 next month so that's going to take priority over this. But yeah, GB is one of the few sites I have Adblock white listed on because I feel I need to give something back.

Before you ask Adblock is off on GAF too.

I'm guessing most if not all of the active posters in this thread have Premium membership. For me it's worth it for UPF alone. They've been putting out some amazing Premium content lately (Vinny's solo streams of Bot Colony and Velvet Sundown, Mario Party Party, Demo Derby etc.). You could also sub for a month and see if you like it if you're hesitant to commit to the full year just yet!
I would guess pretty much all the regulars have it. You can always just get a monthly sub and try it out for a month before you commit to a year. A lot of their best content is premium (since generally most of the stuff that's not a quick look is premium) and there's a ton of premium series running at the moment (mostly thanks to Dan, it seems). If you like the guys and want more content, it is absolutely worth it.

Nah I'll sub for a year when I eventually sub. I love the guys enough that I know I wouldn't regret it + I would love to support one of my favorite websites. The bonus T-Shirt would be nice too :D Maybe I'll sub in September or October when I have some money to spare

BearPawB

Banned
Exact moment where I began to question if Dan is being just Dan or playing a character really really well.

Oh, Dan is doing some high quality acting there (remember, he has a degree in movies). But I think there is definitely some real hurt in that defeat.

FHIZ

He definitely played into a bit, but took it in stride and ran with it, that's why it was so amazing.

Dan Ryckert is a enigma, i love it

Myggen

Nah I'll sub for a year when I eventually sub. I love the guys enough that I know I wouldn't regret it + I would love to support one of my favorite websites. The bonus T-Shirt would be nice too :D Maybe I'll sub in September or October when I have some money to spare

ibgjpqdhqzl09W.gif

I've been a premium member since 2012 and it's some of the best entertainment money I spend all year.
Exact moment where I began to question if Dan is being just Dan or playing a character really really well.
That whole thing could not have gone better if they had scripted it. Jeff's realization of how dumb Pogs actually is, then missing the first two shots, then flipping all but one Pog on his third shot, then Dan's stunned face as Jeff slowly takes all the Pogs.

GolazoDan

Yeah, when Dan first joined and started being Dan I started to feel kinda sorry for him, like I thought nobody had ever mentioned these things to him before. Then I watched some GI videos where they implied Dan had been brought up in a cave in the woods and generally ripped the shit out of him and I learned he's probably used to it. Larger audience and all but Dan is a loveable guy (despite his heelish tendencies - the new Nature Boy).

And yeahhh, anyone moaning about Drake being a Sony shill or whatever is probably bringing their own biases to the table. He's been there, what, a month. I suppose that's enough time to tie him up and give him the Clockwork Orange indoctrination.

given how Dan is i would say that was real tbh.

everybody else piling on (tim trolling him, brad laughing, the music kicking in again, jeff's non plussed reaction even though he did something major) and his backpedaling made it perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom