• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dug

Banned
Did Jeff do a Mixlr on Friday? I remember someone posted he did but I can't find it in the archives...

Tucah

you speak so well
Did Jeff do a Mixlr on Friday? I remember someone posted he did but I can't find it in the archives...

He did on both drives, it's probably just not archived yet. Doesn't he have to manually archive them or something, or did that change?

Myggen

Has there been any word from the crew on whether they're planning on commenting over Sony's Gamescom conference?

Tucah

you speak so well
I would think they would have said something by now if it was in their plans but who knows. Last year was kind of a bigger deal because of the impending launch of a new console.

Myggen

The press conference livestreams have been a huge success. I definitely expect them to do them for gamescom.

Only for Sony though, right? I thought the word was that MS and Nintendo won't have much interesting stuff there (does MS even show up for Gamescom in a big way?).

Volotaire

It would be a good idea if someone asked Jeff on Tumblr if they're going to do it. But I think they will. it's an easy stream to do.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does it really make that much of a difference? I don't think so. I think they'll do it again this year.

I mean the more live streams the better for us. I am just saying that there was probably more excitement about announcements last year when there were so many missing PS4 details.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm so close to buying a Premium Giant Bomb subscription right now it's ridiculous. The only thing holding me back is there's a game I'm going to buy next month. Do most people in this thread have Premium? I see a lot of people talking about UPF which I can't watch.

I just get a year whenever they have that 15 dollar discount

Only for Sony though, right? I thought the word was that MS and Nintendo won't have much interesting stuff there (does MS even show up for Gamescom in a big way?).

IIRC only Sony's is at a reasonable time. The Nintendo and MS conferences are in the early morning for west coasters.

I now have all of Giant Bomb's Twitch content from 2014 saved locally.

476 videos.
244 GB.

14684435247_06febea4d8_o.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to watch Drew and Dan finish Plainview Drive. I need to know what happens.

Zomba13

I'd love to watch Drew and Dan finish Plainview Drive. I need to know what happens.

I actually tried to find some videos of playthroughs to find out if anything interesting happens.

I didn't find anything interesting in the videos.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Cool thanks.

Also I actually do agree with Dan. DKCR is one of the finest 2D platformers ever made.

The shaking is so bad.

I played it more today and I still think that the mine cart mechanics in the DKC series is the greatest platform mechanic ever. I love it.

Volotaire

The shaking is so bad.

I played it more today and I still think that the mine cart mechanics in the DKC series is the greatest platform mechanic ever. I love it.

I agree the shake to roll was a terrible scheme to use, but once I got used to it, only a minor amount of deaths were due to it, and it only mattered on tight corners. For large stretches of platform, it worked fine. I'm presuming the 3DS version is better with the button to shake. I agree with the mine cart mechanics, it feels exhilarating once you get on one. I still have to get TF, which looks and sounds incredible.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Biggest problem with DKCR are the gimmicky motion controls that completly ruin the flow. That and stopping to blow at flowers to collect stuff. Never ever make me stop in a JnR without something interesting to do. Still anl amazing game though. I did love DKC 1-3 though, now I'm a bit afraid to play them again

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Biggest problem with DKCR are the gimmicky motion controls that completly ruin the flow. That and stopping to blow at flowers to collect stuff. Never ever make me stop in a JnR without something interesting to do. Still anl amazing game though. I did love DKC 1-3 though, now I'm a bit afraid to play them again

DKC games fully hold up. Especially 2. Best combination of characters, best level design, best music. People who hate DKC2 are bad people and I hate them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone been able to find s-rank runthroughs of Cookie and Cream? That game looks fantastic.

Tucah

you speak so well
DKCR is one of my favorite platformers of recent years but yeah, the motion controls are garbage. I still have yet to play Tropical Freeze and I have no idea why. I like the SNES DKC games but never went crazy for them or anything. They were fun enough but they're one series of classics I never got the urge to replay in later years.

Xater

What Jeff did was definitely not a regulation POG throw. #pogshenanigans #dangettinhustled

I think we need to get to the bottom of this. There has to be some tournament site out there or something which specifies the way you have to throw.

BearPawB

Banned
You have an inside line on the official rules?

"
Tournament
This is the only grip allowed in official POG competitions in America. It is similar to the flat slam but the slammer rests on only two fingers and you are not allowed to use your thumb to support it. It's well worth trying. For everyday games, though, stick to the slap shot grip, which is more pwerful, more accurate and easier to perform.
"

http://v1.milkcapmania.co.uk/howtoplay.html

Brashnir

"
Tournament
This is the only grip allowed in official POG competitions in America. It is similar to the flat slam but the slammer rests on only two fingers and you are not allowed to use your thumb to support it. It's well worth trying. For everyday games, though, stick to the slap shot grip, which is more pwerful, more accurate and easier to perform.
"

I think this would qualify as an everyday game, so Jeff's shot was indeed legal. I think Dan's grip was also illegal according to this rule.

The only thing that would have made it illegal would be if his hand was still on the slammer when it hit the stack. There's no way to tell that from the video angle, though.

"
Tournament
"

I came to this thread to link to this website. Dammit BearPawB! #whackthestack

Xater

"
Tournament
"

Can we trust this site? I kinda hope there is a scan of the POG Federation rules out there.

BearPawB

Banned
I think this would qualify as an everyday game, so Jeff's shot was indeed legal. I think Dan's grip was also illegal according to this rule.

The only thing that would have made it illegal would be if his hand was still on the slammer when it hit the stack. There's no way to tell that from the video angle, though.

But it has to be official tournament rules for one of them to be the current best pog player in america (surely no one else has played pogs in this country since friday)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom