• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Spaghetti

Sorry, I didn't knew that. Must've been really excruciating for you when
they found the box for first time
:D.
Yeah. It was worth it for the
gag with the mysterious scroll though.

Judging from people who've seen Metal Gear Scanlon and other endurance runs, this kind of frustration is pretty typical, it seems.

Badoink

Banned

Judging from people who've seen Metal Gear Scanlon and other endurance runs, this kind of frustration is pretty typical, it seems.

I'm happy that they never played a game that I know very well, so I can enjoy it with them.

Anyway,
what's the scroll for
?

Spaghetti

I'm happy that they never played a game that I know very well, so I can enjoy it with them.

Anyway,
what's the scroll for
?
Well-

If you call up Warehouse #8 and make a meeting with Guizhang, he'll translate it. It's a move scroll but written in the form of poetry that can't be deciphered without meeting the master who wrote it. It's basically an optional item that, if the series continued on Dreamcast past Shenmue II, you could in theory meet the character that wrote it and learn what it means. Yu Suzuki said in a Shenmue III Q&A last year that he was considering implementing the item and the resulting quest/reward.

Basically, a reward for players continuing their save from the first game, but the Dreamcast's death kinda fucked that.

orient

Neo Member
Wow, that was frustrating knowing they'd looked in the correct spot 20 minutes earlier :p You can also read the letter, right? The one Vinny kept saying you can't interact with? Weird that he picked up some objects like batteries and not others, like the photos.

Still, a good episode. Really enjoying this series.

Spaghetti

Wow, that was frustrating knowing they'd looked in the correct spot 20 minutes earlier :p You can also read the letter, right? The one Vinny kept saying you can't interact with? Weird that he picked up some objects like batteries and not others, like the photos.

Still, a good episode. Really enjoying this series.
Yeah. Just press A and you get Iwao's voice over reading the letter.

Zomba13

I've not played Shenmue but I can understand the frustration when Vinny says "I can't read this" and then immediately turns on a lamp, tries again, then turns the lamp off. Like, both don't have an A prompt but somehow the A button works on the lamp but not the note?

That's the thing, 'A' would work on the note. He's apparently looking at the note, seeing no prompt, pressing nothing, looking at the lamp, seeing no prompt, pressing 'A' anyway and turning it on, then back to the note, seeing no prompt, pressing nothing, back to the lamp etc.

Spaghetti

I've not played Shenmue but I can understand the frustration when Vinny says "I can't read this" and then immediately turns on a lamp, tries again, then turns the lamp off. Like, both don't have an A prompt but somehow the A button works on the lamp but not the note?
Neither have an A prompt, which makes it even more nuts that Vinny didn't think to just press A on the letter.

Kiske

That's probably because for him (and a lot of gamers?) it makes sense to press A for an action like picking a tape, batteries or turning on a lamp, but not so much sense for something like "reading" a piece of paper.

I have honestly no other explanations. (I do admit it would just be easier if the game consistently prompted the player, but personally, there would be less charm).

Pachael

In my ideal world there would be a lot more RPGs where battles use a fighting game engine. Since Shenmue and Yakuza are the only ones (to my knowledge) they are gonna be compared even if I agree they are in different niches.

Yakuza has direct influences from Spikeout, which Nagoshi worked on, which is essentially a 3D beat em up.

Shenmue also has direct influences from Virtua Fighter, ("VFRPG") which as we all know Yu Suzuki worked on.

Both Nagoshi and Suzuki came from the golden era of AM2 (From Outrun and Hang-on to VR, VF and Daytona) so the influences on each other shouldn't be simply parried away - the series are now guided by their creators' vision.

Curufinwe

My favorite example was when they kept running out of SP in Persona 4, so the comments were full of people telling them to buy TaP sodas from the vending machine whenever they became available. Eventually they bought some TaPs, but then instead of using a bunch of them between battles to top up their SP, Vinny waited till he was in the middle of a boss battle and was frustrated that it would cost a turn but only restore 10 SP.

Spaghetti

My favorite example was when they kept running out of SP in Persona 4, so the comments were full of people telling them to buy TaP sodas from the vending machine whenever they became available. Eventually they bought some TaPs, but then instead of using a bunch of them between battles to top up their SP, Vinny waited till he was in the middle of a boss battle and was frustrated that it would cost a turn but only restore 10 SP.
It's basically confirmed nobody in Giant Bomb besides Jeff is actually good at video games, right?

Curufinwe

It's basically confirmed nobody in Giant Bomb besides Jeff is actually good at video games, right?

I think there's a difference between being good at games by yourself at home, and being good at noticing things while playing and talking about a game for a video.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Doesn't the game automatically translate all the other text when they stare at it?

I thought they couldn't actually use those during fights. I remember them fighting one boss and realising that they couldn't use some consumable everybody told them to buy

Curufinwe

I thought they couldn't actually use those during fights. I remember them fighting one boss and realising that they couldn't use some consumable everybody told them to buy

You might be right that TaPs were unusable during battle. Which would have probably been a good thing since since there's almost always a better use for a turn than to to restore a measly 10 SP.

bionicpuppy

Giant Bomb Producter/Bufu Caster
Neither have an A prompt, which makes it even more nuts that Vinny didn't think to just press A on the letter.

It's possible the V.O. for the letter isn't on disc 2. Maybe it works if for emulated versions at that point? I'll check it out when I get a chance as I'm curious. Definitely hit "A" multiple times on the letter and in that drawer. I'll check out the zoom thing in the drawer as well. Wish people would be give the benefit of the doubt sometimes when something seems "nuts."

Dear god this episode. At least maybe they've finally figured some things out. They'd do promptless interactibles sometimes and then skip them other, more important, times. Hell, I'm pretty sure they skipped over the key a few episodes ago. If they do carry over to Shenmue 2, at least that won't be a problem for them anymore. I was just happy they didn't go chasing after translation of the scroll they found.

Kiske

It's possible the V.O. for the letter isn't on disc 2. Maybe it works if for emulated versions at that point? I'll check it out when I get a chance as I'm curious. Definitely hit "A" multiple times on the letter and in that drawer. I'll check out the zoom thing in the drawer as well. Wish people would be give the benefit of the doubt sometimes when something seems "nuts."

Interesting.

It's not a matter of V.O for sure, because reading the letter triggers a cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GaLZTg7mxA

I doubt the cutscene doesn't trigger on disc 2, but honestly I don't know for sure.

bionicpuppy

Interesting.

It's not a matter of V.O for sure, because reading the letter triggers a cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GaLZTg7mxA

I doubt the cutscene doesn't trigger on disc 2, but honestly I don't know for sure.

Yeah, I'll check it out. I'm curious. Also, I re-watched the drawer part and it's obvious the game isn't locking onto the box while zoomed in so pushing "A" didn't do anything. I'm not sure why folks need to be quick to throw daggers. It's really hostile.

Spaghetti

Interesting.

I'm 99% sure you can interact with the letter on Disk 2 (as that is where you'd *always* encounter it regardless of whether you decided to explore early on). It doesn't trigger the cutscene like finding it on Disk 1/Day 1, but the same VO plays I believe. I'd have to check again to be 100% certain, but I don't really fancy starting the original Shenmue up again after I just finished a playthrough unless I really have to.

Also, the zoom stuff isn't a thing at all. I have no idea what Vinny was talking about with that, but when you're locked onto something, A interacts.

I think there's a difference between being good at games by yourself at home, and being good at noticing things while playing and talking about a game for a video.
Eh, I'm kidding. Mostly. Isn't "GB is bad at video games" like a long-standing meme? I remember hearing that long before Metal Gear Scanlon made a whole new generation of GB fans go nuts.

bionicpuppy

I'm 99% sure you can interact with the letter on Disk 2 (as that is where you'd *always* encounter it regardless of whether you decided to explore early on). It doesn't trigger the cutscene like finding it on Disk 1/Day 1, but the same VO plays I believe. I'd have to check again to be 100% certain, but I don't really fancy starting the original Shenmue up again after I just finished a playthrough unless I really have to.

Also, the zoom stuff isn't a thing at all. I have no idea what Vinny was talking about with that, but when you're locked onto something, A interacts.

Eh, I'm kidding. Mostly. Isn't "GB is bad at video games" like a long-standing meme? I remember hearing that long before Metal Gear Scanlon made a whole new generation of GB fans go nuts.

I'll play through up that part with the letter again, as I'm super curious. Also, the zoom issue is that it didn't lock on that first time. Go check it out again. "A"s were definitely pressed, it would have been ridiculous not to press "A" on everything at that point.

Spaghetti

Yeah, I'll check it out. I'm curious. Also, I re-watched the drawer part and it's obvious the game isn't locking onto the box while zoomed in so pushing "A" didn't do anything. I'm not sure why folks need to be quick to throw daggers. It's really hostile.
The game automatically locks to the contents of the drawer when you open it. Vinny just didn't press A.

Requeim

Pretty much. Dan and Vinny have their moments (although Vinny tends to have issues with memorizing controls), but the rest are average to bad. It's amplified by having to talk while you're playing though.

Nobody is better at missing obvious information and onscreen prompts than Brad.

Spaghetti

I'll play through up that part with the letter again, as I'm super curious. Also, the zoom issue is that it didn't lock on that first time. Go check it out again. "A"s were definitely pressed, it would have been ridiculous not to press "A" on everything at that point.
The drawer would close if they were not locked to it. You absolutely cannot open that drawer and leave it open without being locked to it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Best episode !

All y'all haters .. y'all keep hatin' .. I'm having a great time with the run so far. Their reactions are just the same as mine the first time I played Shenmue 2 and found out clunky the game is.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm popping in to say that Shenmue is arcane bullshit and some of y'all seem to be way too deep in a bubble about what's obvious or sensible

Like, I appreciate this game. Its cool. Its still cool today. But it is full of the worst of adventure game bullshit

Spaghetti

I'm popping in to say that Shenmue is arcane bullshit and some of y'all seem to be way too deep in a bubble about what's obvious or sensible

Like, I appreciate this game. Its cool. Its still cool today. But it is full of the worst of adventure game bullshit
Man, if pressing A on stuff is arcane bullshit, video games are finished.

Hitting A to interact with items in a game all about interacting with items with the A button isn't arcane or adventure game bullshit

This shit ain't Zork we're hitting A buttons

Shenmue is not a straightforward game. But it's nowhere near as obscure as the puzzles in adventure games such as Gabriel Knight or Longest Journey.

bionicpuppy

The drawer would close if they were not locked to it. You absolutely cannot open that drawer and leave it open without being locked to it.

I'm talking about the box inside the drawer. The one you said I didn't push "A" on. Check it out. I open the drawer and hold down the zoom immediately. The game never locks onto the box with the key on it as I tap "A" on everything. Same thing happens the second time I open then close the box. When you're zoomed in (move the camera closer) it won't lock and won't let you push "A". I don't mean to be defensive here. Willing to take the hit on a lot of stuff but it's frustrating when I was obviously trying to interact with everything in that house.

Salarians

4SFy4Tm.gif

Spaghetti

Alright, fuggit. Loaded up Shenmue on Demul. As far as I'm aware it's the closest emulator to Dreamcast hardware, so I'm going to do a quick video of the key and probably the letter too if I can do the stair glitch that takes me to Disk 2 on day one.

Is there a way to set up something that shows gamepad presses? I don't really feel like getting my camera out for a picture-in-picture of the controller.

I had zero issues finding the stuff in the house my first play through. But I'll also say that I probably would have had a much tougher time with it, if I was a recording a video of it with two other people talking, while also trying to make the video entertaining to an audience. Sorry if what I posted a bit earlier came out as hostile, you all do good work.

Spaghetti

I'm talking about the box inside the drawer. The one you said I didn't push "A" on. Check it out. I open the drawer and hold down the zoom immediately. The game never locks onto the box with the key on it as I tap "A" on everything. Same thing happens the second time I open then close the box. When you're zoomed in (move the camera closer) it won't lock and won't let you push "A". I don't mean to be defensive here. Willing to take the hit on a lot of stuff but it's frustrating when I was obviously trying to interact with everything in that house.
You never lock onto the individual items in the drawer, you lock onto the drawer as a whole and press A to examine the contents. They did that several times in the episode before that, which is why that's so frustrating that they totally goofed on doing it there.

Dineren

Banned
I don't really recall having the problems they had when I played it for the first time, but there is no denying that Shenmue has some major interface issues. Though I am a bit curious how much of their issues are caused by the endurance run format (maybe it doesn't change anything).

Personally, when I originally played it, I figured out all the major quirks of the interface in Ryo's bedroom just by interacting with what was in there so most of these problems just didn't exist for me. I can imagine being pretty frustrated if you don't have that all figured out.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I had zero issues finding the stuff in the house my first play through. But I'll also say that I probably would have had a much tougher time with it, if I was a recording a video of it with two other people talking, while also trying to make the video entertaining to an audience. Sorry if what I posted a bit earlier came out as hostile, you all do good work.

Good point. They're entertaining as all hell and not just bumbling fools. I'm sure many including myself watch giantbomb's content for the entertainment factor, not for the "TIPS AND TRICKZ" and video game tactics.

Renewing GB premium for 2 years has been one of the easiest payment decisions I've had to make so far.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Alright, fuggit. Loaded up Shenmue on Demul. As far as I'm aware it's the closest emulator to Dreamcast hardware, so I'm going to do a quick video of the key and probably the letter too if I can do the stair glitch that takes me to Disk 2 on day one.

Is there a way to set up something that shows gamepad presses? I don't really feel like getting my camera out for a picture-in-picture of the controller.

Dude, let it go. Nobody cares. You don't have to this just cause you want to prove that Vinny lied (?) whatever it is you want to do.

You never lock onto the individual items in the drawer, you lock onto the drawer as a whole and press A to examine the contents. They did that several times in the episode before that, which is why that's so frustrating that they totally goofed on doing it there.

Just to make it clear, you know bionicpuppy is Vinny, right?
Cause you keep saying "they". Just so you know

Top Bottom