• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

bionicpuppy

Giant Bomb Producter/Bufu Caster
You never lock onto the individual items in the drawer, you lock onto the drawer as a whole and press A to examine the contents. They did that several times in the episode before that, which is why that's so frustrating that they totally goofed on doing it there.

haha...I'm not sure what else to say here. Why do you think I'm lying to you? You can see it happen twice in the video... Zoomed into items in the drawer, and pushing "A" does nothing until you release the zoom button.

I'm never afraid to admit I'm wrong so let me know how your research turns out on whether you can push "A" while zoomed into items within the drawers.

Surta

I just spun up Shenmue disc 1 again, and it seems to work like this:

Using the "zoom" button (R trigger by default) locks onto interactive objects, e.g. drawers. Once you're locked on, you can use both the d-pad and the analog stick to jump to nearby objects, e.g. other drawers. You can also use the "zoom" button to slightly zoom in, and the "run" button (L trigger by default) to slightly zoom out. If you press the A button, you confirm your current "selection" (e.g. open the drawer), and if you press the B button, you end the "lock on" mode.

So far, so good. Now here's the thing: once a drawer that contains an item has been opened, the A and B buttons (for picking up the item, or leaving) will only work if none of the triggers is being pressed, i.e. if you're not zooming in or out at the same time. Looking around with the analog stick has no impact.
I guess Vinny or whoever played there was a bit too clingy with the triggers...

The most entertaining part of these has always been hardcore fans disappearing up their own ass, bar none.

The Chrono Trigger one was simply epic for this reason alone. Throw in the misplaced rage people had for Patrick and that series was just pure red meat.

Catvoca

Banned
In episode 12 of the Shenmue endurance run, when Vinny is exploring the house, he presses A on the same desk drawer twice in succession, yet he is unable to read the note. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of magic A button?

Spaghetti

haha...I'm not sure what else to say here. Why do you think I'm lying to you? You can see it happen twice in the video... Zoomed into items in the drawer, and pushing "A" does nothing until you release the zoom button.

I'm never afraid to admit I'm wrong so let me know how your research turns out on whether you can push "A" while zoomed into items within the drawers.
No, I get it. But you'd seen that pressing A without zooming lets you interact through most of the episode, so I dunno why you just didn't press it.

I love the endurance run, and all the futzing around this episode was worth it for "I can't read Chinese". It's just I'd hoped you'd ace the house puzzle, and watching 54 minutes knowing you had it 17 minutes was, well, kind of bananas for me.

I do hope you guys do Shenmue II though. On Dreamcast, if possible, but y'know. Take what you can get.

Zomba13

I'm talking about the box inside the drawer. The one you said I didn't push "A" on. Check it out. I open the drawer and hold down the zoom immediately. The game never locks onto the box with the key on it as I tap "A" on everything. Same thing happens the second time I open then close the box. When you're zoomed in (move the camera closer) it won't lock and won't let you push "A". I don't mean to be defensive here. Willing to take the hit on a lot of stuff but it's frustrating when I was obviously trying to interact with everything in that house.

Using the "zoom" button (R trigger by default) locks onto interactive objects, e.g. drawers. Once you're locked on, you can use both the d-pad and the analog stick to jump to nearby objects, e.g. other drawers. You can also use the "zoom" button to slightly zoom in, and the "run" button (L trigger by default) to slightly zoom out. If you press the A button, you confirm your current "selection" (e.g. open the drawer), and if you press the B button, you end the "lock on" mode.

So far, so good. Now here's the thing: once a drawer that contains an item has been opened, the A and B buttons (for picking up the item, or leaving) will only work if none of the triggers is being pressed, i.e. if you're not zooming in or out at the same time. Looking around with the analog stick has no impact.

OH wow. I had no idea it worked like that, I thought it was a simple *Zoom on place of interest* *A to interact* and that would just be a universal thing that would just examin items. Had no idea that for things like objects in draws on on things you "activate" you had to release the trigger to inspect.

Yeah, with that I totally understand the trouble. I mean, I know Shenmue is pretty crazy but having only played a veeeeerry little amount of 2 years ago, I had no idea Shenmue 1 worked that way and that just seems messed up for the sake of it.

Watching the new episode... they found the box with the key and didn't pick it up. They keep going over the letter and not picking it up either. Pls just press "a" Vinny. You already did it two seconds ago when you got the cassette player.

Salarians

tumblr_inline_o2999lcEnp1tmjfiq_540.png

Requeim

This whole thing is even more hilarious when you take into account, that the whole ER has already been recorded, so sending hot tips their way won't do anything.

At least with Persona 4 we could help them as they played, but getting frustrated with something that's already completely over is weird. For the record, I don't think prerecording an entire ER is the best way to go about it, since help from the audience can make things go a bit more smoothly (again, see P4).

Spaghetti

This whole thing is even more hilarious when you take into account, that the whole ER has already been recorded, so sending hot tips their way won't do anything.
We can send them hot tips for Shenmue II.

Ironically, where there's a moment when you shouldn't press A.

Seems I was right about this whole ignore list thing.

At least with Persona 4 we could help them as they played, but getting frustrated with something that's already completely over is weird. For the record, I don't think prerecording an entire ER is the best way to go about it, since help from the audience can make things go a bit more smoothly (again, see P4).
This thread proves it is.

So he did press the A button, but since he was presumably also holding down one of the triggers at the same time the game didn't register the button press. Mystery solved!

bionicpuppy

No, I get it. But you'd seen that pressing A without zooming lets you interact through most of the episode, so I dunno why you just didn't press it.

I love the endurance run, and all the futzing around this episode was worth it for "I can't read Chinese". It's just I'd hoped you'd ace the house puzzle, and watching 54 minutes knowing you had it 17 minutes was, well, kind of bananas for me.

I do hope you guys do Shenmue II though. On Dreamcast, if possible, but y'know. Take what you can get.

I don't think I ever realized the "don't hold zoom" part. Not that I remember, anyway.

I often think back to one of the things a Shenmue fan said to me when I told them it's hard seeing so many getting angry at our playthrough: "That's crazy, the greatest thing about Shenmue is that's there's no wrong or right way to play Shenmue!" I'll buy that from what I've played so far.

I'm really curious about Shenmue II! It's easy for everyone to love something that is perfect but it's more personal and meaningful to me when someone loves something despite it being imperfect or flawed. Like Giant Bomb for instance!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
We can send them hot tips for Shenmue II.

Ironically, where there's a moment when you shouldn't press A.

Dude, you really think they'll play Shenmue 2? Please.
They don't like the game (cause it's bad) and, sorry to say, it's fanbase is insane. Why waste time and effort on something you don't enjoy playing while people calling you a liar in forums. I hope they move on an play a good game instead.

pizzacat

Banned

Good thing it's an ongoing series you can just try again when you guys play again

They don't like the game (cause it's bad) and, sorry to say, it's fanbase is insane. Why waste time and effort on something you don't enjoy playing while people calling you a liar in forums. I hope they move on an play a good game instead.

I think Shenmue 1 is a bad game (or at least, a rather misguided one), but Shenmue 2 is legitimately decent, fixing a lot of the problems the first game had.

Having to sift though a bulk of comments about how bad you are at games, combined with the tons of people trying to be helpful but who offer way more info than you're looking for doesn't sound like a fun time. While its frustrating for the uber fans, for Vinny it sounds like the fun for him is barreling through the game without a backseat FAQ, for better or worse.

They don't want your help. You are all Dan's Shenmue-liking friend.

I don't think I ever realized the "don't hold zoom" part. Not that I remember, anyway.

I often think back to one of the things a Shenmue fan said to me when I told them it's hard seeing so many getting angry at our playthrough: "That's crazy, the greatest thing about Shenmue is that's there's no wrong or right way to play Shenmue!" I'll buy that from what I've played so far.

I'm really curious about Shenmue II! It's easy for everyone to love something that is perfect but it's more personal and meaningful to me when someone loves something despite it being imperfect or flawed. Like Giant Bomb for instance!

If you survived Shanmue 1, Shenmue 2 should be a somewhat better experience for you. And go with the Xbox version for the continued use of the spectacular English voiceovers.

I couldn't stop laughing at the goddamn stealth sequence with Vinny just running into people, that old guy taking a week to help, and that map sucking

Vinny is the hero we all deserve anyways
Easily distracted/coerced into doing everything but the main quest, showing us all the fun bits
Fails at every QTE so we can see Ryo be a shmuck
Somehow survives Dan Ryckert

Requeim

Having to sift though a bulk of comments about how bad you are at games, combined with the tons of people trying to be helpful but who offer way more info than you're looking for doesn't sound like a fun time. While its frustrating for the uber fans, for Vinny it sounds like the fun for him is barreling through the game without a backseat FAQ, for better or worse.

They don't want your help. You are all Dan's Shenmue-liking friend.

When people sent them tips for Persona 4, I don't remember it ever being quite this hostile, and both Vinny and Jeff seemed grateful for the small QOL things that they didn't pick up on. This seems less like people giving tips and more people shitting on them for not playing the game "correctly".

Sou Da

Having never played Shenmue and watching this, I'm not sure I think this is bad. Seems like a really comfy detailed adventure game so far.

It's got atmosphere

¯_(ツ)_/¯

all rise for the trial of the people of yokosuka v. vincent caravella

mr. caravella you are charged with three counts of not pressing A. defense, how does the defendant plead

Eternia

With the drawer, Vinny may be thinking he wants to zoom to a certain object when he sees "multiple" possible objects inside. While with lamps/switches, it's already focusing on a single object so he doesn't bother with it although that doesn't explain the letter.

Still, I thought it's kind of funny that the thing a bunch of people complained he didn't use enough (zoom) ended up helping them waste about 40 minutes.

I kind of like the idea that they're on their own. There will always be something else to go crazy about unless you want to send them a walkthrough that you hope they would follow.

Gigarator

You can also read the letter, right?

You can read the letter up to a certain point if my memory serves me correctly, I didn't read it a couple of times way back when I played this once or twice a year and I believe if you try to do it once you've moved onto discs 2 or 3 then you no longer get the scene with Iwao reading the letter to you. This would explain why Vinny possibly WAS pressing A to interact with it but had nothing happen.

Spaghetti

I think you did some stuff somewhere in the previous episodes, but also in the most recent one you were getting the tapes, cassette player, candles, etc.

Like, despite the "fanboy" label I've got over this series, I do think Shenmue is flawed and that it can be so fucking weird coming to it from 2016's gaming landscape. Even when I get frustrated with the endurance run, it's coming from a good place where I want you guys to see the game at a brisk enough pace that it holds your attention. Ultimately, I don't think you guys played it wrong, bumbling your way around and finding stuff you didn't expect to find (I didn't see the cockroach until like, three years ago) is really the "right" way to play Shenmue, because it hides shit everywhere it can.

This thread is like ground zero of people who like Shenmue, and people who don't, so that's why it's probably more heated in here than it would be in any other circumstance.

But yeah. I hope you guys get around to playing II. It makes good on a lot of the promises the original game made, along with quality of life improvements even down to small shit like making the capsule toy animation faster.

bionicpuppy

all rise for the trial of the people of yokosuka v. vincent caravella

mr. caravella you are charged with three counts of not pressing A. defense, how does the defendant plead

It all seemed like a good idea at the time... I just wanted to play Shenmue... I didn't know anybody was going to get hurt. We were just kids.

Also, A was pushed but other buttons may have been held down. I vote for a mistrial and that we all try to enjoy what is a very special game... with some patience and a light heart.

Spaghetti

You can read the letter up to a certain point if my memory serves me correctly, I didn't read it a couple of times way back when I played this once or twice a year and I believe if you try to do it once you've moved onto discs 2 or 3 then you no longer get the scene with Iwao reading the letter to you. This would explain why Vinny possibly WAS pressing A to interact with it but had nothing happen.
From memory, the VO still plays, just the cutscene bit doesn't happen. Again, I'd need to check that but I just finished playing the original Shenmue last week and you kind of need a "recharge" before you play it again.

When people sent them tips for Persona 4, I don't remember it ever being quite this hostile, and both Vinny and Jeff seemed grateful for the small QOL things that they didn't pick up on. This seems less like people giving tips and more people shitting on them for not playing the game "correctly".

True, but that likely stems from P4 having only been out a short time (relatively), and having less time to build up the legions of hardcore fans Shenmue or Chrono Trigger has, as well as the level of encyclopedic knowledge. Sacred cows are always going to draw in the zealots.

It will also be a much shorter series, to its benefit. Less likely to have major plot points spoiled for them, which I'm sure occurred throughout the P4 one.

I'd love to watch a Shenmue II run after this, especially after hearing that generally it's a way more refined and player-friendly version of the Shenmue experience. Though, actually maybe that would take some of the fun out of it in a way.

Oh well, if not I'll definitely watch through the GT run, even if I'm a little intimidated after seeing the final part runs for like 7 hours :eek:

Spaghetti

I don't know what to tell you, man.

Love the endurance run, hate the thread. That's basically how this goes every weekday, without fail.

I don't expect there to be a massive love-in, but we all probably need to deescalate.

Top Bottom