• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Spaghetti

The old buildings in 2 are the only thing I remember absolutely hating but mostly for playing on X-Box. For some reason, d-pad inputs didn't always register properly for QTEs with the controller as well as it does on Dreamcast. It comes up elsewhere, but it's easily dismissed since the checkpoints aren't so awful anywhere else or it just lets you still continue with an altered cutscene.
I just save scum my way through that part playing through Demul on a 360 controller because of the D-Pad (shall invest in a new Xbox One pad, eventually), but I managed it sans-saving on Dreamcast hardware many years ago. It's a challenge with the check-pointing, but it's one of the few times the game ever really puts a difficulty barrier up so I let it pass. We'll see how I feel about it in a few years after my fast twitch fibres in my hands aren't so good anymore...

I actually kinda like
the planks
though; for the fact they work so well thematically and in terms of a gameplay link to the earlier part of the game.

Carrying the books
is a no-stakes "git good" training session for
the planks
, which is when you're investigating
Zhu Yuanda
The planks
are a very lethal iteration on the same gameplay, when you're in touching distance of
Zhu Yuanda
's hideout.

Not sure which elevator puzzles the other poster is talking about though; the occasional switching you need to do? I don't really know why that's in the game (maybe to put emphasis on the dilapidated, criss-crossed, building code nightmare that is the Kowloon walled city?), but I never found that shit a problem. Especially not with a map.

The only actual elevator "puzzle" in the game is the one I struggled with though, but only because I didn't know Roman numerals at the time. I expect Dan to ace that using the "Rocky method".

Just started watching the endurance run. It's not bad but pretty frustrating, Just finished episode 6, and man, Vinny is just playing the game wrong. I don't know if this gets better, but between no one on the team having a sense of direction, and not in anyway even TRYING to do anything off the beaten path, I can see why he's not digging it. The game actively stops you from trying to rush through it, and trying to do so just makes things worse. Not to mention, they never bother actually looking at stuff, or interacting with things, going to the Dojo, having side conversations, none of it.

Kind of a shame. Hope it gets better.

They get a bit better, but don't expect much off the main path. They really don't seem to be into it except for maybe Dan who still mainly talks about anything other than Shenmue.

batfax

Explore what?
Every time brings up side stuff it's thing they have around done.

The most recent episode highlights how they almost missed a notable scene. There's a ton of extra scenes you see by exploring more frequently and having a routine set beyond just "NEXT STORY OBJECTIVE." There's at least a dozen, maybe two events I remember happening by now that they've somehow completely avoided and I honestly had no idea you could avoid so much of the game until watching this. It'd be like playing a Persona game and not doing any social links.

Shenmue games have the most underrated game osts I've ever seen. They're so good and no one talks about them. Morning Fogs Wave, hallelujah. Nightfall is SO GOOD and you barely get to hear it.

One of my favorite parts of Shenmue's OST is how every location has it's own unique soundtrack. Leads to a ton of music and there's some real gems. Even some of the not-so-good music is still memorable because it reflects the location well.

Spaghetti

Shenmue games have the most underrated game osts I've ever seen. They're so good and no one talks about them. Morning Fogs Wave, hallelujah. Nightfall is SO GOOD and you barely get to hear it.
Mm. Hoping they get Yuzo Koshiro on-board for III, but Ryuji Iuchi's sample tracks have sounded pretty good so far. Even if they can't get back the full music team for III, it'll still use a lot of their unused compositions, even if Iuchi is the one to rearrange them for the synth/live instrument mix he's going for.

Unable to on Xbox I'm pretty sure, not that it matters much. It doesn't magically fix the game, and it's the difference of 20 seconds or so.

You can soft reset on Xbox as I've done it numerous times. And 20 seconds is a pretty big difference. It doesn't fix much but honestly it's not that big a deal to me and doesn't hamper the actual game. The qte isn't that strict.

Spaghetti

I think the part I save scummed in Shenmue 2 was the high stakes gambling to not worry about money.
Augh man, you're missing out. I loved the thrill of the high stakes stuff. I actually went into a high stakes game with the intent of losing money to I could trigger the
Brawling Uppercut move instruction
, but I ended up doubling my money on Big or Small.

Jintor

it's more like if you played a persona game and the game was so unappealing you didn't want to do any of the social links because none of the social links entertained or amused

Listen, from what I've seen, I think Shenmue is bloody amazing for its time. But all this "Playing the game wrong" business really rubs me the wrong way because it's part of the job of a game to seduce its players (so to speak) into enjoying it no matter what attitude they enter into it with. Deadly Premonition is jank as fuck and they had a blast with that game. They started Persona 4 with only the expectation that it was long and would take forever, spent the first 4 or 5 episodes vaguely frustrated and then got into it as it opened up. That's a quality of those games. It's a quality Shenmue is lacking.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I get why they prerecorded all of this in one chunk, but maybe next time doing it in three --- hell, maybe even two --- larger blocks would really help.

Mm. Hoping they get Yuzo Koshiro on-board for III, but Ryuji Iuchi's sample tracks have sounded pretty good so far. Even if they can't get back the full music team for III, it'll still use a lot of their unused compositions, even if Iuchi is the one to rearrange them for the synth/live instrument mix he's going for.

Yuzo Koshiro didn't contribute much to the soundtrack. He did only fifteen songs. The main question is whether or not they get Takenobu Mitsuyoshi back. Koshiro is just the bigger name.

it's more like if you played a persona game and the game was so unappealing you didn't want to do any of the social links because none of the social links entertained or amused

Listen, from what I've seen, I think Shenmue is bloody amazing for its time. But all this "Playing the game wrong" business really rubs me the wrong way because it's part of the job of a game to seduce its players (so to speak) into enjoying it no matter what attitude they enter into it with. Deadly Premonition is jank as fuck and they had a blast with that game. They started Persona 4 with only the expectation that it was long and would take forever, spent the first 4 or 5 episodes vaguely frustrated and then got into it as it opened up. That's a quality of those games. It's a quality Shenmue is lacking.

Social links is how you get higher level persona though. So "playing the game wrong" would be apt given how entrenched they are into Persona 3 and 4's design.

I think on disc 1 they did play the game wrong. Disc 2 they've been giving it more of an honest chance. I respect giving it a chance and not liking it compared to not bothering period, as shown on disc 1. So I'm fine with it. They don't like it and that's completely fine. It's going to make disc 3 even more hilarious to watch. So I think they've given it a chance and I can respect their opinion.

Jintor

you're not picking up what i'm putting down

people who come in here and say 'playing the game wrong' don't mean there's mechanical benefits from side content they're missing

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
See, here's the thing. I can't play DX. I think it's ugly, the voice acting is awful, and the interface is terrible. I used to be a huge fan of System Shock 2 and I can't get past the awful controls in 2016. But I'm pretty sure I can hear DX and SS2 fans sharpening their knives right now. When you play older games you have to work around their faults. I'd really, really like it if someone could me get into the original DX because Jesus Christ.

There is no way to get you into the game. A lot of PC games of that era are half game, half menu simulator. I actually like those messy menues (though I would never, ever, ever defend them). But you need to overlook a.lot.of.stuff. if you want to get into Deus Ex nowadays. I will never not like Deus Ex but if I've never played it before I'm not sure I'd get into it in 2016.

Edit: Some of the comparisons in this thread are still blowing my mind.

LiK

As much as I dislike Shenmue, and believe a lot of the criticisms are deserved, I'll always admire the game for its ambition and the period of time it stood for in Sega's corporate history.

Yup, it was unlike anything else at the time.

Spaghetti

Yuzo Koshiro didn't contribute much to the soundtrack. He did only fifteen songs. The main question is whether or not they get Takenobu Mitsuyoshi back. Koshiro is just the bigger name.
Yeah, he didn't compose much on the soundtrack, but he was also involved in arranging compositions from the other members of the music team I believe, though there's no way of knowing his total input without asking someone in the know.

Either way, he's kind of only the other free agent available to the project other than Iuchi, I assume. Mitsuyoshi is still under contract at SEGA last I heard, even if they've probably got him in a basement making music for mobile games.

There is no way to get you into the game. A lot of PC games of that era are half game, half menu simulator. I actually like those messy menues (though I would never, ever, ever defend them). But you need to overlook a.lot.of.stuff. if you want to get into Deus Ex nowadays. I will never not like Deus Ex but if I've never played it before I'm not sure I'd get into it in 2016.

Edit: Some of the comparisons in this thread are still blowing my mind.

I'm kind of like this with Shenmue. I mean, I get why people don't like it. But I still like it?

orient

Neo Member
Ardent Shenmue fans should use this Endurance Run as a way to ease themselves into the criticism that the series will inevitably receive once the HD remasters hit and, eventually, Shenmue 3. Shenmue is my favourite series of all time, by far, but I understand it's flawed and not for everybody. If you still have the compulsion to defend every aspect of the game, you're going to have a freaking heart attack when the reviews come in for Shenmue 3. Trust me, it isn't being made for the average gamer in 2017, therefore it *will* receive mixed reviews. Don't expect a 9.7 from IGN. Be prepared.

Ardent Shenmue fans should use this Endurance Run as a way to ease themselves into the criticism that the series will inevitably receive once the HD remasters hit and, eventually, Shenmue 3. Shenmue is my favourite series of all time, by far, but I understand it's flawed and not for everybody. If you still have the compulsion to defend every aspect of the game, you're going to have a freaking heart attack when the reviews come in for Shenmue 3. Trust me, it isn't being made for the average gamer in 2017, therefore it *will* receive mixed reviews. Don't expect a 9.7 from IGN. Be prepared.

I think this is a bit extreme. If III takes the lessons learned from II, which is likely, then I don't it'll badly recieved. I don't think they'll take stuff like time skip out.

If anything, I think III will be well recieved if it's a great game. These days people appreciate stuff all over the map. A game where you're underwater all the time was well reviewed (Azbu). We have a game where all you do is stamp passport papers. Or a game that's nothing but watching old recorded VHS tapes. This year Jonathon Blow released a game where all you do is travel around solving puzzles.

Given by what Yu has said about III I have faith it has room in today's games. Considering more and more people are getting sick and tired of overly large open worlds, I think Shenmue's more intimate and atmospheric take could turn heads.

I think there's greater appreciation for esoteric quirky games in 2016/2017 than 1999/2000

Shenmue HD is a different bag of chips and if they make that 1 should have 2's controls and time skip feauture.

orient

Neo Member
I think this is a bit extreme. If III takes the lessons learned from II, which is likely, then I don't it'll badly recieved. I don't think they'll take stuff like time skip out.

If anything, I think III will be well recieved if it's a great game. These days people appreciate stuff all over the map. A game where you're underwater all the time was well reviewed (Azbu). We have a game where all you do is stamp passport papers. Or a game that's nothing but watching old recorded VHS tapes. This year Jonathon Blow released a game where all you do is travel around solving puzzles.

Given by what Yu has said about III I have faith it has room in today's games. Considering more and more people are getting sick and tired of overly large open worlds, I think Shenmue's more intimate and atmospheric take could turn heads.

I think there's greater appreciation for esoteric quirky games in 2016/2017 than 1999/2000

Shenmue HD is a different bag of chips and if they make that 1 should have 2's controls and time skip feauture.

I agree to an extent, but time skipping is just a convenience thing; the core game is still the same. I do think people are more open-minded nowadays and all different types of games can exist, but as a game that's being pushed by Sony, Shenmue 3, much like No Man's Sky and The Last Guardian, is going to miss the mark for a lot of people. There's just no way it's going to be loved and appreciated universally. It's not that type of game.

Also, I have a feeling the combat's going to be extremely stripped down, possibly with QTEs from the small bits of info we have so far. That isn't something that usually goes down well, but we'll see.

mother of god I'm on part 5

and these fuckers have been searching for sailors for so long. I've never played Shenmue but this game needs a "here let me draw where the sailors are on your map"

Shenmue is divisive but that's mostly 1. 2 is considered by many the much better game and far less divisive. There's no reason at all 3 will be universally divisive just because of Shenmie 1. At the time of release Shenmue was also highly regarded critically. Shenmue 2 already perfected the formula and I see no reason 3 won't build upon it. I think if the game is marketed right and people know what they're getting into, it'll done fine.

Also, didn't combat in Shenmue already have QTEs? The best fights in the series (Baihu and Izumi) already have QTEs in them. The game people keep saying is superior to Shenmie - Yakuza - also has QTEs in battle. I'm not too worried about it and waiting to see gameplay.

orient

Neo Member
Shenmue is divisive but that's mostly 1. 2 is considered by many the much better game and far less divisive. There's no reason at all 3 will be universally divisive just because of Shenmie 1. At the time of release Shenmue was also highly regarded critically. Shenmue 2 already perfected the formula and I see no reason 3 won't build upon it. I think if the game is marketed right and people know what they're getting into, it'll done fine.

Also, didn't combat in Shenmue already have QTEs? The best fights in the series (Baihu and Izumi) already have QTEs in them. The game people keep saying is superior to Shenmie - Yakuza - also has QTEs in battle. I'm not too worried about it and waiting to see gameplay.

Shenmue 3 will not be a huge, sprawling game like Shenmue 2, nor will it have the same Virtua Fighter-like combat. The budget simply isn't there for a massive, dense game, and when I say QTE combat, I mean the entire combat system could be QTE-driven. Everything Yu Suzuki's said about the combat: context-sensitive, more cinematic, no combos, not skill-based.

Also, Shenmue 2 was still a divisive game, it just had better pacing than the first.

If this game gets an HD update like Sega has been wanting to do, they need some time skip functionality. This is ridiculous. I'm just as stressed as the Giant Bomb guys. You wake up one day and it's like "lol wait until 7 pm". Fuck me. I guess it's a product of its time and likely fixed in the sequel, but this is rough for modern gaming.

what map?

Fucking have one of the guys go with a sharpee and mark up one of the town maps for you. "You are here" then draw an arrow "sailors and charlie are here"

edit: LMAO on part 6 when he starts playing with the car toy and the die and he's all "VROOOOOOM VROOOM OH NO A BOULDER IS COMING DOWN THE ROAD" I lost it. They're just as miserable as I am. But I can't stop watching.

If this game gets an HD update like Sega has been wanting to do, they need some time skip functionality. This is ridiculous. I'm just as stressed as the Giant Bomb guys. You wake up one day and it's like "lol wait until 7 pm". Fuck me. I guess it's a product of its time and likely fixed in the sequel, but this is rough for modern gaming.

Fucking have one of the guys go with a sharpee and mark up one of the town maps for you. "You are here" then draw an arrow "sailors and charlie are here"

edit: LMAO on part 6 when he starts playing with the car toy and the die and he's all "VROOOOOOM VROOOM OH NO A BOULDER IS COMING DOWN THE ROAD" I lost it. They're just as miserable as I am. But I can't stop watching.

Oh man wait until you're caught up. GB has been making it so entertaining for me.

Shenmue is definitely impressive for it's time, but too ambitious at parts. It's the dream game I dreamt of as a kid. Emulating life and walking to town buying stuff at stores. Wish I knew about it then.

the little chubby kid with the weird face that always wants you to give him 100 yen to get the capsule.

When Ryo tells him "you're always saying that"

and he goes "AAAAAAAAAAAAAH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN"

I swear to god that I hear the Seinfeld ending episode bass riff/trumpets.

What is the relationship between the Ryo and the old lady who lives with him? I honestly can't make heads or tails of it.

Ine is the family maid/housekeeper, who presumably has been around since Ryo was a baby at least.

I guess you're supposed to assume that for whatever legal reason she has control of the Hazuki estate until Ryo takes over (I looked this up, and apparently in Japan a minor is anyone under 20, while Ryo is 18, so maybe that's it?), which is why she gives him a daily allowance and why he goes to her for money for Hong Kong.

No time skip was rough when it came out. I always loved Shenmue even before it came out, but I could never stand the waiting.

Been watching the gameinformer play through, and it's mostly a much smoother run than the ED. GI got used to the controls a whole hell of a lot quicker. They have struggled with some things Vinny got pretty quickly though. Also they did get internet comments to help them, and spoil some things.

Killed me when they had to wait a whole day because of the Asia Travel thing, but unlike Giantbomb it was completely their fault. They ran right by Asia Travel when they could have gone in and got the cutscene, but completely forgot what they were supposed to be doing and didn't realize it until it after Asia Travel had closed.

Also it was good to know that they traded Dan to giantbomb for a non-functional Genesis controller.

Thought I'd share this:

A photo gallery of the real Dobuita Street in Yokosuka, Japan. Taken by Shenmue Dojo poster Axm, who was at the high-tier Kickstarter backer dinner with Yu Suzuki last week.

Closing for Giant Bomb!

0jQgYfe.jpg

"Fuck you Vinny!!!"

I think there's a very good chance that Shenmue III will be well received. If they take care of a few obvious things like better voice acting and more user-friendly controls. Or at least give a decent tutorial for them. The type of game Shenmue is has become fairly popular lately. One of the dudes from the GI run mentioned it; Shenmue is essentially an open world Telltale/QD game. Games with an emphasis on story, character interaction, light puzzle solving, QTE's, etc have become pretty big with The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, etc.

In my opinion it's even working with an advantage because the world of Shenmue is less static and far more immersive than those other games. Or at least it has been in the previous two titles. With a few minor tweaks (maybe make the emergent side events more apparent somehow?) I think it would easily get a positive reception.

Top Bottom