• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

tchocky

I think there's a very good chance that Shenmue III will be well received. If they take care of a few obvious things like better voice acting and more user-friendly controls. Or at least give a decent tutorial for them. The type of game Shenmue is has become fairly popular lately. One of the dudes from the GI run mentioned it; Shenmue is essentially an open world Telltale/QD game. Games with an emphasis on story, character interaction, light puzzle solving, QTE's, etc have become pretty big with The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, etc.

In my opinion it's even working with an advantage because the world of Shenmue is less static and far more immersive than those other games. Or at least it has been in the previous two titles. With a few minor tweaks (maybe make the emergent side events more apparent somehow?) I think it would easily get a positive reception.

Those games all rely on player choice at key story points which Shenmue doesn't have. I think Shenmue is much closer to a game like Gone Home with a bigger budget and some rare combat and QTE sequences.

I do think Shenmue could get a good reception but they will need to have a much better story because so little happens in this first game. They basically took a 3-4 hour story and dragged it out to about 15-20 hours.

Do these kids not know the current political climate?

"Hey mister wanna wrestle?"

"Hey mister wanna play baseball?"

What strange adult male would ever take that offer.

27210459624_65327d5dce_k.jpg

Tomato is 7-eleven in real life?

Really? Aw, that's too bad for Yu.

Wuiji

They are not the brightest bunch when it comes to playing Shenmue. I think they should have read the manual or something. :eek:

Shenmue isn't trying to be an arcade experience that is easily grokked, it is trying to be immersive. That's where it shines, even if it is obviously awkward and clunky, or mundane at times. The sense of time and place that it conveys is remarkable, and I wish more games would take lessons from it.

To call it 'garbage' is just wrong. Go play a garbage game instead.

Sad to read about the localization issues.. the game could have been a lot better if the localization was on point.

Few things are more immersion breaking than the residents of a tiny town not knowing the location of anything in that tiny town. Artificially extended the duration of the game by turning all but one or two of your NPCs into clueless drones in each occasion IS garbage.

I'm glad that more games didn't follow down this path.

If people like the game, that's fair enough. If people feel compelled to spend time poorly defending the game's crappy systems for over 15 years after it came out, maybe it's time to find another game to champion.

Is Ryo asexual? The cute girl from his same class clearly wants the D and everytime he speaks to her he's like trying to end the conversation.

There's more important things than revenge man. Like getting it on.

I feel that using a guide or Internet comments would defeat the purpose in this case. It needs to be as frustrating as possible.

I don't know, I think they got of on the wrong foot early on by simply not knowing the controls and not understanding how important the Zoom feature was. They tried looking around the house, didn't know how to do it, and never tried again, part of the cool thing with Shenmue is exploring, looking over stuff, and finding cool hidden shit. You miss a lot of little bits of story too.

Hell, in the 6 days since the game began that I have seen they haven't been back to the Dojo even once.

I think some internet comments, not spoiling anything, but you know explaining basic stuff would have helped them with the game. Just stuff like, hey look in the desks, or hey, you can feed the cat.

Those games all rely on player choice at key story points which Shenmue doesn't have. I think Shenmue is much closer to a game like Gone Home with a bigger budget and some rare combat and QTE sequences.

I do think Shenmue could get a good reception but they will need to have a much better story because so little happens in this first game. They basically took a 3-4 hour story and dragged it out to about 15-20 hours.

Shenmue 1 is not really that much about the story, the story is the impetus, but it is more about living in Yokosuka, and dealing with the aftermath of your father's death. The game FORCES you to take your time with it, and pushes you to do stuff around town, if you try to ignore that and just stand around doing nothing, it is not going to go well for you.

Spaghetti

Shenmue III will. Your choices changes the story.

That's good to hear, that style of storytelling should work well with Shenmue.
I should point out that while Yu Suzuki was introduced to games like Heavy Rain and The Wolf Among Us by Ryan Payton while prepping for the Kickstarter a few years ago, I don't think he's said anything about an extensive choice system that will greatly impact the story, has he?

What I believe has been said: (Shenmue III story and gameplay spoilers)

The 'rapport system' is a developed character allegiance/loyalty system that may have unseen ramifications. The system seems tied to Shenhua and Ryo's relationship, but Yu did mention about applying it to other characters too.

There's also a system called the 'character perspective system'. Shenmue's rules for the world are built around the character you play (Ryo), this system will allow you to play as Shenhua and Ren at a certain part of the game. Effectively by switching characters you will be able go about completing tasks differently because of the different personality types.

Late in the game there will also be a sequence where you have to storm an enemy stronghold, and there will be multiple methods of doing so which may have repercussions.

Personally, a more extensive choice system for the story is a take it or leave it issue for me. I don't feel strongly about it either way, but given the choice I'd rather see them build on the non-linear and dynamic quest structure they had in Shenmue II.

Is Ryo asexual? The cute girl from his same class clearly wants the D and everytime he speaks to her he's like trying to end the conversation.

There's more important things than revenge man. Like getting it on.
Ryo is murdersexual.

openrob

I think there's a very good chance that Shenmue III will be well received. If they take care of a few obvious things like better voice acting and more user-friendly controls. Or at least give a decent tutorial for them. The type of game Shenmue is has become fairly popular lately. One of the dudes from the GI run mentioned it; Shenmue is essentially an open world Telltale/QD game. Games with an emphasis on story, character interaction, light puzzle solving, QTE's, etc have become pretty big with The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, etc.

In my opinion it's even working with an advantage because the world of Shenmue is less static and far more immersive than those other games. Or at least it has been in the previous two titles. With a few minor tweaks (maybe make the emergent side events more apparent somehow?) I think it would easily get a positive reception.

Definitely think you are right. I mean even Shenmue 2 had improvements over Shenmue 1, and that did not have the hindsight of 15 years of the industry developing. However, it will hopefully not stray too far from what made it unique - and being a kick-starter means no pressure from 'the top' to make it more market friendly

I should point out that while Yu Suzuki was introduced to games like Heavy Rain and The Wolf Among Us by Ryan Payton while prepping for the Kickstarter a few years ago, I don't think he's said anything about an extensive choice system that will greatly impact the story, has he?

If you've played The Walking Dead you'll know that the story doesn't change majorly. Certain things (specifically, character relationships) do change. So peoples experiences are indeed unique, but the end result is the same for everyone. This isn't that different from II's Guilin chapter already.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I'm enjoying this Endurance Run quite a bit. Shenmue seems like a game I would have liked a lot back in the day, but I don't think I would want to play it nowadays. It seems like it hasn't aged well, but I definitely appreciate how ambitious and important it was for the time.

Also, reading the comments has been eye-opening; I used to get a bit annoyed when a streamer or YouTuber would play one of my favorite games "the wrong way", when they didn't understand a mechanic in Dark Souls or missed an optional conversation in The Last of Us. But observing a situation like that from the outside now has shown me how silly the "you're playing the game wrong" argument actually is. It's not like GBE is actively trying to make the game look bad. Quite the opposite, in fact. It seems like they have been trying to get as much enjoyment as possible out of this game, talking multiple times to literally every single NPC in the beginning, exploring the city, playing arcade games etc.

I don't doubt that they missed a lot of stuff and I understand that it must be frustrating to see them complain about how there is nothing to do, while there are so many things they apparently could be doing. But it's easy to forget what the first time playthrough of a game can actually look like. Of course everything they miss might seem obvious to you, when you have played through the game multiple times. Maybe some of the people complaining didn't actually find everything on their own either, but heard about it from friends, or read it on the internet or in a magazine. Or maybe they did find everything on their own, but only because they were teenagers when they first played the game and had infinite time on their hands.

Spaghetti

If you've played The Walking Dead you'll know that the story doesn't change majorly. Certain things (specifically, character relationships) do change. So peoples experiences are indeed unique, but the end result is the same for everyone. This isn't that different from II's Guilin chapter already.
Mm, I see where you're going with this, but the Guilin section was sort of a personality test (I believe Yu called it that directly too) and not very similar to the Telltale stuff where the story can genuinely diverge at points through binary choices, before joining back up later on. The story progression through Guilin is about as linear as Shenmue II got, even if you could have different conversations with Shenhua on repeat playthroughs, depending which branch you end up picking.

There isn't really enough of Shenmue II's DNA, or announced plans for III to straight up say choices will affect the story. Not yet, anyway. Then again, maybe I missed an interview where it was mentioned. It'd be an interesting route if they genuinely went that way, but like I said, I'm not sure I'd take it over expanding the non-linear and dynamic quests we saw in II.

I'm enjoying this Endurance Run quite a bit. Shenmue seems like a game I would have liked a lot back in the day, but I don't think I would want to play it nowadays. It seems like it hasn't aged well, but I definitely appreciate how ambitious and important it was for the time.

Also, reading the comments has been eye-opening; I used to get a bit annoyed when a streamer or YouTuber would play one of my favorite games "the wrong way", when they didn't understand a mechanic in Dark Souls or missed an optional conversation in The Last of Us. But observing a situation like that from the outside now has shown me how silly the "you're playing the game wrong" argument actually is. It's not like GBE is actively trying to make the game look bad. Quite the opposite, in fact. It seems like they have been trying to get as much enjoyment as possible out of this game, talking multiple times to literally every single NPC in the beginning, exploring the city, playing arcade games etc.

I don't doubt that they missed a lot of stuff and I understand that it must be frustrating to see them complain about how there is nothing to do, while there are so many things they apparently could be doing. But it's easy to forget what the first time playthrough of a game can actually look like. Of course everything they miss might seem obvious to you, when you have played through the game multiple times. Maybe some of the people complaining didn't actually find everything on their own either, but heard about it from friends, or read it on the internet or in a magazine. Or maybe they did find everything on their own, but only because they were teenagers when they first played the game and had infinite time on their hands.

There is a "hey they missed something cool" type deal, which can be frustrating to see for longtime fans, and that is natural. However there are clearly times when a game can be played wrong, and your example of Dark Souls is a great one that can, you can easily screw yourself over in that game, and building your character wrong can make the game a frustrating hell.

I think this would have been better done in the style of a Metal Gear Scanlon, with someone who on occasion would drop hints for interesting stuff, or at least give a good overview of controls an the like.

I will say this about the endurance run though. It does give an interesting window on how Shenmue is played by people who don't get it. And man, I'd hate that game too.

And no, when I first played the game I had no FAQs that I was using, and still found a ton of stuff. Now when I replayed it just after the announcement of Shenmue 3, I was able to find a lot more neat things compared to when I was in college, but the basics of the game stayed the same.

Oh my God this is embarrassing.

When Ryo gets the "Hong Kong flyer" and they said it out loud.

Then at the exact same time one of the guys and myself were like "Hong. Kong. Flyer" to the tune of Hong Kong phooey

ferunnico

Neo Member
There is a "hey they missed something cool" type deal, which can be frustrating to see for longtime fans, and that is natural. However there are clearly times when a game can be played wrong, and your example of Dark Souls is a great one that can, you can easily screw yourself over in that game, and building your character wrong can make the game a frustrating hell.

I definitely understand the frustration of longtime fans in those moments. And I agree that a game can easily be played wrong, though I'd argue that's often the game's own fault. Do you think they are playing Shenmue wrong? As I said, it seems to me that they are honestly trying to explore and do side stuff here and there. Is it just an unfortunate coincidence that they aren't finding some of the more interesting things?

And no, when I first played the game I had no FAQs that I was using, and still found a ton of stuff. Now when I replayed it just after the announcement of Shenmue 3, I was able to find a lot more neat things compared to when I was in college, but the basics of the game stayed the same.

I didn't want to imply that no one found that stuff on their own. I just know from my own experience that it can be easy to forget your own first playthrough of a game (especially if it was a long time ago) and the problems you might have had and end up with this perfect memory of your favorite game.

openrob

Tomato is 7-eleven in real life?

Really? Aw, that's too bad for Yu.
It's crazy how similar it is! I mean in game and real life, this is the only Konbini on Dobuita Street

tomatoconveniencestorulzeq.jpg

that sure is a convenience store

Well it's more the positioning, as they are both on a corner, with the vending machine outside etc.

MThen again, maybe I missed an interview where it was mentioned. It'd be an interesting route if they genuinely went that way, but like I said, I'm not sure I'd take it over expanding the non-linear and dynamic quests we saw in II.

I agree, I don't think it needs those kind of story choices. Especially since Shenmue has more going on for it in regards to exploration and combat. I want the divergence to come from where you went what day and which leads you followed rather than making a binary choice between two branching options.

The style of game is similar and that's why I think people could take to it nowadays. Still I want it to be Yu Suzuki's story and too much major plot variation would be a bummer.

Endurance Run: Part 16

*Goes inside travel agency at 10 am*

"Oh please come back tomorrow!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
4obudmC.gif

30 MINUTES OF THIS MOTHERFUCKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

THIS GAME. Thank god the gang started singing Let it Go

Endurance Run: Part 16

*Goes inside travel agency at 10 am*

"Oh please come back tomorrow!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
4obudmC.gif

30 MINUTES OF THIS MOTHERFUCKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

THIS GAME. Thank god the gang started singing Let it Go

They're going to have another day of waiting if they don't
beat Chai
in the next episode, which they almost certainly won't. I doubt many did their first time through.

I definitely understand the frustration of longtime fans in those moments. And I agree that a game can easily be played wrong, though I'd argue that's often the game's own fault. Do you think they are playing Shenmue wrong? As I said, it seems to me that they are honestly trying to explore and do side stuff here and there. Is it just an unfortunate coincidence that they aren't finding some of the more interesting things?

I didn't want to imply that no one found that stuff on their own. I just know from my own experience that it can be easy to forget your own first playthrough of a game (especially if it was a long time ago) and the problems you might have had and end up with this perfect memory of your favorite game.

How much is thta game's fault? I dunno, it's hard to say. Tutorials weren't as much of a thing back then, so I don't think it is really fair to ding a game for not having one. Beyond that, I haven't seen past episode 6, but that episode was horrible because they flat out sat around talking about running man for the bulk of the episode. They really haven't tried exploring, or talking to other people at that point, and from the sounds of the thread, things haven't gotten better.

And yes, sitting around doing nothing is definitely playing the game wrong. I'm not saying they need to go nuts trying to get the grand prize for all the raffles, but they could do training with Fuku san, talk to Nozomi some more, train, hell do ANYTHING else. Check out all the other stores, or the fortune teller, or play slots. But nope, they aren't even trying.

Yeah, the game isn't clicking with them, but sometimes when something doesn't click you do need someone from the outside to chime in and tell you what you are doing wrong. Hell, look how long it took for Monster Hunter to find a fanbase here. Or the Souls series.

How much is thta game's fault? I dunno, it's hard to say. Tutorials weren't as much of a thing back then, so I don't think it is really fair to ding a game for not having one. Beyond that, I haven't seen past episode 6, but that episode was horrible because they flat out sat around talking about running man for the bulk of the episode. They really haven't tried exploring, or talking to other people at that point, and from the sounds of the thread, things haven't gotten better.

And yes, sitting around doing nothing is definitely playing the game wrong. I'm not saying they need to go nuts trying to get the grand prize for all the raffles, but they could do training with Fuku san, talk to Nozomi some more, train, hell do ANYTHING else. Check out all the other stores, or the fortune teller, or play slots. But nope, they aren't even trying.

Yeah, the game isn't clicking with them, but sometimes when something doesn't click you do need someone from the outside to chime in and tell you what you are doing wrong. Hell, look how long it took for Monster Hunter to find a fanbase here. Or the Souls series.

You really shouldn't talk about them "not even trying" when you haven't watched the last 10 episodes. They actually have done a bunch of the things you've listed since then.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I see more now why others are so fond of Shenmue. It has a certain amount of charm and the city so far feels alive with unique characters. But at the same time... I'm glad I get to watch the game instead of playing it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Ummm....

You really shouldn't talk about them "not even trying" when you haven't watched the last 10 episodes. They actually have done a bunch of the things you've listed since then.

Not to mention where the fuck are the incentives.

The game just tells you shit like "oh hey maybe I can practice" which makes it seem like it's simply to get a chance to literally practice the combos/moves ala fighting game. Considering the amount of time they've had to fight so far, it seems fruitless.

Then there's the "well go do something else in the meantime". Like what? The game has given little to no context clues. When you learn new information for the plot all you do is go around asking people that specific question for the plot. So it's hard to focus on any possible sidequest. Then there's the time mechanic. The game just isn't well built around it.

When you have to wait for the whole day to end to do something the next day, and your options in the meantime are to recycle the same amount of dialogue, go play the few arcade games, gamble, or do other smaller things that no way in hell are fun enough to waste a whole day on is the players fault they aren't 'playing the game right'?

How can you immerse yourself in the city and characters when it's recycled dialogue UNTIL you progress the story, which is a major issue. Then not to mention all we've seen is that when it's a matter of asking a question it seems all of a sudden you have a chance of one or two people providing the answer, a couple guiding you towards them, and absolutely everyone else telling you "uuuuuuuuuuh i don't know". When he asks the guy from China to translate chinese text and he tells you "i'm second generation chinese" it was the game's poor excuse to simply force you to go to the specific chinese person.

You can appreciate what the game did back then, it really seemed to have been revolutionary. But for today's standards for people who have never played it? It's very very rough. If Sega makes the HD remake they need to add the wait mechanic.

It's a bit ridiculous folks are trying to argue that because you aren't doing mini-games you aren't playing right. What the ever living fuck.

Mm, I see where you're going with this, but the Guilin section was sort of a personality test (I believe Yu called it that directly too) and not very similar to the Telltale stuff where the story can genuinely diverge at points through binary choices, before joining back up later on. The story progression through Guilin is about as linear as Shenmue II got, even if you could have different conversations with Shenhua on repeat playthroughs, depending which branch you end up picking.

There isn't really enough of Shenmue II's DNA, or announced plans for III to straight up say choices will affect the story. Not yet, anyway. Then again, maybe I missed an interview where it was mentioned. It'd be an interesting route if they genuinely went that way, but like I said, I'm not sure I'd take it over expanding the non-linear and dynamic quests we saw in II.

Also for what it's worth, the concept for Shenmue III is years old. You brought up Ryan Payton showing Yu those games but Yu interviewed with Mielke in 1up in 2010 and talked about Rapport. Given that the basics of rapport are already in the Guilin chapter (dialogue system, personal questions, Shenhua reacting differently depending on your answers) it should probably be thought that rapport was a part of III's game concept to begin with. Basically, rapport just sounds like an evolution on what was already in II, except in a far less linear game segment.

In the 1up interview he calls rapport a personality test as well and that certain characters will react differently depending on what you answer to change the storyline in small, but very personal ways. This is literally Telltale to a tee.

I'll take forklifting over Yellow Building any day. What an insipid slog.

First time I've ever heard anyone say this. Pretty much literally.

Zafir

I'm not sure I'd go so far to say I prefer forklift driving over the Yellow Head building, but I think Yellow Head Building is a slog to get through. Well, most of the floors anyway. There's a few interesting ones, but it's mostly going through silly flickering light puzzles, walking across planks and beating up random gang members. With the occasional amusing scene with
Yuan or Diu Niu
trying to stop you, but failing miserably.

I think it was just a bit too long, really. Not helped by the conveniently blocked off stairs, and the absolutely stupidly designed elevators.

I mean, the guys who designed the elevators in Kowloon should have been fired years ago, lol. Arbitrarily missing floors. Having to go down to the bottom floor to go back up again. It's crazy!

dlauv

First time I've ever heard anyone say this. Pretty much literally.

It needed to be said then.

This epilogue is ok tho.

Edit: My favorite part about the Kowloon elevators is that in I think in almost every other building, there are no stairs at all on the higher floors on top of there being puzzle elevators. Total death trap.

Not to mention where the fuck are the incentives.

The game just tells you shit like "oh hey maybe I can practice" which makes it seem like it's simply to get a chance to literally practice the combos/moves ala fighting game. Considering the amount of time they've had to fight so far, it seems fruitless.

Then there's the "well go do something else in the meantime". Like what? The game has given little to no context clues. When you learn new information for the plot all you do is go around asking people that specific question for the plot. So it's hard to focus on any possible sidequest. Then there's the time mechanic. The game just isn't well built around it.

When you have to wait for the whole day to end to do something the next day, and your options in the meantime are to recycle the same amount of dialogue, go play the few arcade games, gamble, or do other smaller things that no way in hell are fun enough to waste a whole day on is the players fault they aren't 'playing the game right'?

How can you immerse yourself in the city and characters when it's recycled dialogue UNTIL you progress the story, which is a major issue. Then not to mention all we've seen is that when it's a matter of asking a question it seems all of a sudden you have a chance of one or two people providing the answer, a couple guiding you towards them, and absolutely everyone else telling you "uuuuuuuuuuh i don't know". When he asks the guy from China to translate chinese text and he tells you "i'm second generation chinese" it was the game's poor excuse to simply force you to go to the specific chinese person.

You can appreciate what the game did back then, it really seemed to have been revolutionary. But for today's standards for people who have never played it? It's very very rough. If Sega makes the HD remake they need to add the wait mechanic.

It's a bit ridiculous folks are trying to argue that because you aren't doing mini-games you aren't playing right. What the ever living fuck.

I second everything you've said here. The sheer frustration these guys must be feeling seems totally warranted. While this game may have impressed with its living world full of things to interact with, it's all terribly bogged down by strict videogame-logic in a way that's far from sensical. It simply doesn't hold up when the clockwork world isn't a novelty anymore.

I appreciate them trying to keep it light-hearted though. It must be a nightmare to see people telling at them to play it "right."

Tubobutts

I second everything you've said here. The sheer frustration these guys must be feeling seems totally warranted. While this game may have impressed with its living world full of things to interact with, it's all terribly bogged down by strict videogame-logic in a way that's far from sensical. It simply doesn't hold up when the clockwork world isn't a novelty anymore.

I appreciate them trying to keep it light-hearted though. It must be a nightmare to see people telling at them to play it "right."
Especially since they finished it like a month ago.

Top Bottom