• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Remember that time when Austin left and beastcast turn into cringe shit show then Austin came back for 1 ep and it's best and then he left and went right back to cringe fest? Yeah.....
Remember when I didn't care for something and the only way I could characterize it was 'cringe' because it didn't appeal directly to me?

Vinny + Dan has been a stellar combo for the past month, so I'm glad we'll be getting more of them.

That said, I'm very curious who'll be coming to SF and whether they'll be a familiar face. In 2015, I'd have said that Tim Turi or Danny were destined to join GB, but now I'm totally lost. Mary would be awesome, but Gamespot isn't dead... yet.

BTA

i don't get why anyone wouldn't like Alex. he's got a charming sincerity that really comes through on the podcast. his perspective is effective and compelling.

My anxiety is not as bad as Alex's but it is a thing I have to deal with. I really, really appreciate him talking openly about what he goes through, and it sucks that it comes across as cynical or negative to others.

I just think back to the long 2 hour wait to get into the PAX East panel, where people randomly started ranking the staff members and Alex was universally bottom of their lists for some reason. Ranking the staff separately from "who I enjoy the most" bothers me a lot to begin with, but it really stuck out to me that this was happening.

Luminaire

I love that GBER is returning, but I wish it wasn't shenmue. That game came at a weird time in my life and seeing it again would bring back some bad memories.

Maybe you can now associate Shenmue with the idiocy of GB rather than whatever bad memories may still be haunting you.

Also, all you Alex haters: 3'o clock, courtyard, after school. Bring your crew.

Pomo

Remember that time when Austin left and beastcast turn into cringe shit show then Austin came back for 1 ep and it's best and then he left and went right back to cringe fest? Yeah.....
Yeah!! Beastcast turn into bad bad Cringe Fest Cringe Time!! Epic Cringe =o

The recent Beastcasts have been excellent and I'm stoked about the Shenmue ER. Love the Vinny+Dan combo.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
they got the long distance technology

Yep it worked pretty well with the Hitman video and that QL betweeb Vinny and Drew. Of course Vinny should be the one with the controller.

There is just something to be said about the chemistry that happens when you occupy the same space.

Worked just fine for Hitman

That was such a short snippet, a 100+ hour endeavor is a completely different beast*.

*pun intended.

bakedpony

There is just something to be said about the chemistry that happens when you occupy the same space.

That was such a short snippet, a 100+ hour endeavor is a completely different beast*.

*pun intended.

Of course nothing beats being co-located but I'm sure it will be fine as well. Knowing Jeff and Vinny, I think we have a high chance of seeing it happen. Maybe it will their closing E3 announcement.

It's probably not the content they want to make, but it's what the people want. If they want some youtube dollars they should upload the series there too and stagger it by a month or something. Having a pay walled let's play when that's one of the biggest things going is odd.

*pun intended.

Add on top of that trying to schedule around two very different time zones, it's just not a realistic expectation.

xxracerxx

It's probably not the content they want to make, but it's what the people want. If they want some youtube dollars they should upload the series there too and stagger it by a month or something. Having a pay walled let's play when that's one of the biggest things going is odd.

What? The ER is free.

Anjin M

I bet Dan is extremely happy to be leaving San Francisco.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that NYC
(read wherever he actually ends up in New Jersey)
has a higher quotient of normal guys than San Francisco does. He should be very happy there.

Zekes!

Dan's trip to NYC was only a brief glimpse into the madness to come from that office

The GBeast era of Austin has given way to the era of Dan

KingBroly

Banned
They should do Super Metroid, cuz that's the one Ryan and Patrick were thinking about doing immediately after Chrono Trigger.

But Shenmue's not a bad choice.

RPGam3r

They should do Super Metroid, cuz that's the one Ryan and Patrick were thinking about doing immediately after Chrono Trigger.

But Shenmue's not a bad choice.

Jeff would do it and it would be the shortest endurance run of all time (one sitting).

IIRC it was basically RE/Tomb Raider tank controls with moderately more freedom. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to try and play it today.

It was actually best to hold down the left(?) trigger to get him to move forward and and use the directional pad for turning. It's not terrible once you get used to it, but still not all that great.

dlauv

I just finished this game yesterday, playing and streaming it four days in a row.

The entirety of disc 3 is a pain in the ass.

Branson

I've always wondered what it would be like to live a life where you can just so freely move from one super expensive Huge city to another. I mean I'm happy for Dan, but still I can't imagine that for myself. It's kind of depressing.

xxracerxx

I've always wondered what it would be like to live a life where you can just so freely move from one super expensive Huge city to another. I mean I'm happy for Dan, but still I can't imagine that for myself. It's kind of depressing.
New York is most likely going to be way cheaper than SF.

border

i don't get why anyone wouldn't like Alex. he's got a charming sincerity that really comes through on the podcast.

Alex always just seemed unrelentingly cynical and snarky to me. Like the kind of person that would rather get in a snappy zinger about a game than discuss it earnestly. Jeff can be cynical as well, but when he discusses the things he dislikes I tend to feel he's being sincere, rather than trying to score points or make jokes.

I think Alex has gotten better in the last 5-6 months though. I enjoyed hearing him talk about No Man's Sky, even if it is a kinda crummy game.

Spaghetti

It was actually best to hold down the left(?) trigger to get him to move forward and and use the directional pad for turning. It's not terrible once you get used to it, but still not all that great.
Yeah. It only ever gets real hairy to control in tight spaces, all other environments are fine once you figure out Ryo's turning circle and you spend 80% of the game outdoors anyway.

Top Bottom