• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

This is like someone saying Castlevania 64 is better than Symphony of the night

mikest0smn.gif

Tekken 3, Gran Turismo 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Xenogears, Soul Reaver, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tony Hawk 2, FF VIII and IX, Chrono Cross (yeah yeah), Crash Bandicoot, Vagrant Story etc.

For me the PS1's library was a LOT deeper than the N64's library, even if the two best N64 games (Mario 64 and OoT) were by far the best games of that generation. PS1 wins.

I also think that PS1 games have aged better than N64 games in general, probably because of the garbage framerate of so many N64 games and that washed out look.

PS1 has lots of anime games, so I can see why you are such a big fan.

Alfredo

I'm pretty sure all the names in Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 are all in Japanese (at least, that's how it was on my copy), which means someone went through all those wrestlers and renamed them with English/Roman characters.

The N64 was the beginning for Nintendo in having people buy their console mainly to play their games. Playstation was where third-party support was.

def sim

Ryan has burned into my mind how to say executable correctly and hearing Brad say it wrong actually made me wince a little bit.

I'm pretty sure all the names in Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 are all in Japanese (at least, that's how it was on my copy), which means someone went through all those wrestlers and renamed them with English/Roman characters.
They might have been able to amend it via Action Replay or something. I can't remember if it had on-board memory or if it was memory pak only.

Or as you say, Jason's mate did it the hard way. The true way!

hamchan

Oh you ;)

But yeah, your appreciation of the PS1 library will be very dependent on how much you liked JRPGs back then.

Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX/Tactics
Parasite Eve 1/2
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Chrono Cross
Suikoden 1/2
Grandia
Dragon Quest VII
Breath of Fire 3/4
Star Ocean 2
Grandia

and that's just off the top of my head. It was insane how many JRPGs there were on PS1 and PS2 after it. Miss those days :(

im crying right now

I'm sorry I drove you to tears with the truth. It's tough.

Edit: There's only a few JRPGs that I've really loved. Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Vesperia, FFIV, FFX, and.... I think that's about it. Chrono Trigger was alright, though a bit overrated.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Didn't everybody? I did this with at least 5 Japanese pro wrestling games at the time. Not all of them let you edit the names, but still I didn't manage to accidentally pick up any Japanese along the way.

Myggen

Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX/Tactics
Parasite Eve 1/2
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Chrono Cross
Suikoden 1/2
Grandia
Dragon Quest VII
Breath of Fire 3/4
Star Ocean 2
Grandia

and that's just off the top of my head. It was insane how many JRPGs there were on PS1 and PS2 after it. Miss those days :(

Yup, many of the best JRPGs of all time on that console. Man, the PS1 was fucking fantastic.

TraBuch

Banned
Honestly, I think Squaresoft alone made the PS1 better than the N64 for me.

Final Fantasy
Bushido Blade
Xenogears
Parasite Eve
Tobal
Brave Fencer Musashi
Chrono Cross
Threads of Fate
Legend of Mana
Vagrant Story
Front Mission
SaGa Frontier

Wait, nobody made that connection with Grow Home being just like Ubisoft tower climbing? That seemed crazy obvious to me and not even in a joking manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom