• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankiebass

Neo Member
The Supreme QL made me think of the Cook Serve Delicious QL. I googled the game again and found out it was released on mobile, just purchased it, and the game wasted no time tugging at my heart strings. :(

6sM6Qmy.png

And Ryan was right, the game lends itself extremely well to touch interfaces.

BearPawB

Banned
Being slightly facetious but sometimes i'm ok with a game reviewing poorly because it means one less game I have to buy. If the order gets amazing reviews im gonna be real poor.

Everyone is always like "im gonna play it myself and make my own decisions, fuck reviews". I can't afford to have that attitude

Being slightly facetious but sometimes i'm ok with a game reviewing poorly because it means one less game I have to buy. If the order gets amazing reviews im gonna be real poor.

Everyone is always like "im gonna play it myself and make my own decisions, fuck reviews". I can't afford to have that attitude

Well The Order will probably price collapse quickly regardless of how good it is. A short single-player only game will get resold quickly and used copies will be everywhere.

And who are we kidding, we'll be getting The Order related meltdown no matter how well it reviews. Hell, it's already happened.

Liamc723

You could wait for it to drop in price.

Bacon

There's some fun stuff going on with the order on gaming side right now. Threads being created and locked, speculation, leaks, etc.

BearPawB

Banned
You could wait for it to drop in price.

Call it a personality disorder, but I think there is a lot of pressure to play games in the moment. I want to play it when people are discussing it on podcasts, when people are tweeting about it.

A video game release can very much be a cultural moment. And i don't think im completely alone for feeling that is an important part of the whole experience.

Liamc723

Call it a personality disorder, but I think there is a lot of pressure to play games in the moment. I want to play it when people are discussing it on podcasts, when people are tweeting about it.

A video game release can very much be a cultural moment. And i don't think im completely alone for feeling that is an important part of the whole experience.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from with that.

I'm a student at university at the moment so I had to cancel my pre-order after reading the reports on the game's length. I cannot justify £47 on a game this short. But I will be picking it up eventually, around the £25 mark would suit me just fine.

Myggen

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from with that.

I'm a student at university at the moment so I had to cancel my pre-order after reading the reports on the game's length. I cannot justify £47 on a game this short. But I will be picking it up eventually, around the £25 mark would suit me just fine.

How long are people saying the game is?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
People in the spoiler thread are complaining that the cut scenes in the order are unskippable.

If you aren't playing this bullshit to watch the cut scenes, what are you even doing with your life.

Liamc723

People in the spoiler thread are complaining that the cut scenes in the order are unskippable.

If you aren't playing this bullshit to watch the cut scenes, what are you even doing with your life.

What if you want to replay the game? I think that's why most people are complaining about them being unskippable.

demidar

Seems like you can get a lot of the value from the game just from watching Let's Plays of it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What if you want to replay the game? I think that's why most people are complaining about them being unskippable.

They are telling you "Listen, this is the only worthwhile part. Sit down, shut up, and stop holding the shooty button for a bit"

That's all this game is. That's all this game ever was. Without "wow pretty" the Order is nothingness. That's why the cut scenes can't be skipped, because without them people would realize a lot sooner how awful everything else is.

Myggen

The playthrough on youtube is 5 hours and 20 minutes long, of which about 2 hours are cutscenes.

Oh wow, that's shorter than I though. 8-10 hours is something I'd be okay with, but 5 hours and 20 minutes including cutscenes? I get that it must be expensive as hell to make a game look that great, but that's really short...

Liamc723

They are telling you "Listen, this is the only worthwhile part. Sit down, shut up, and stop holding the shooty button for a bit"

That's all this game is. That's all this game ever was. Without "wow pretty" the Order is nothingness. That's why the cut scenes can't be skipped, because without them people would realize a lot sooner how awful everything else is.

I think that's going a little far man, play the game before regarding everything besides the cutscenes as awful.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think that's going a little far man, play the game before regarding everything besides the cutscenes as awful.

I'm not going to play the game, because it is plainly awful. Even positive impressions can't hide how much the game pushes you down a single path to perform the same action repeatedly in the same small environments with no actual skill required. Everything the developers have said about the game in public tells me it's awful, they have never tried to hide that they are attempting to make a bad movie in video game form.

Liamc723

I'm not going to play the game, because it is plainly awful. Even positive impressions can't hide how much the game pushes you down a single path to perform the same action repeatedly in the same small environments with no actual skill required. Everything the developers have said about the game in public tells me it's awful, they have never tried to hide that they are attempting to make a bad movie in video game form.

The fact that you don't like linear games doesn't automatically make it awful for everyone else.

AcridMeat

Banned

I understand your point, but you shouldn't be going broke over it. Over all of the years of gaming there's only a couple times where I took a chance on a game I wasn't sure about, but knew I wanted to play it, where it became a "phenomenon". Those were Call of Duty 4, Sleeping Dogs and to a certain extent, Red Faction: Guerrilla. In Red Faction's case I was waiting impatiently hyped for about a year though.

My point is that feeling of missing out by not buying a new release hasn't happened in my experience. I actually like going to a game after the hype and discussion has died down, so I can formulate my own opinions without feeling that pressure of finishing it right away.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The fact that you don't like linear games doesn't automatically make it awful for everyone else.

I didn't say it's awful to anybody else (and the fact that it's linear has nothing to do with it, the fact that it's completely braindead does). The designers, developers, and PR people are the ones who have been saying the playing the game part of this video game is awful. I don't care about whether anybody else wants to buy it, at least not beyond the fact that more shit like this will continue to get made when it's successful. I'm happy they've been upfront with how lazy the game design is.

Liamc723

I didn't say it's awful to anybody else (and the fact that it's linear has nothing to do with it, the fact that it's completely braindead does). The designers, developers, and PR people are the ones who have been saying the playing the game part of this video game is awful. I don't care about whether anybody else wants to buy it, at least not beyond the fact that more shit like this will continue to get made when it's successful. I'm happy they've been upfront with how lazy the game design is.

Then don't word everything you're saying as if it's a fact.

The developers were clearly trying to make a cinematic game and it looks like they've succeeded in that, albeit in a short game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Then don't word everything you're saying as if it's a fact.

The developers were clearly trying to make a cinematic game and it looks like they've succeeded in that, albeit in a short game.

It's absolutely a fact. This game is awful. I would never recommend anybody play it, and would suggest people stay far away.

That's precisely what I think about the game. My opinion is that it's awful and the world would be a better place if games like The Order didn't exist. Fact. Do people who say the game looks great have to come back and say "That's subjective and all, I wouldn't expect anybody else to feel the same way just because I do"? No. It's implicit in the statement.

If you succeed in your attempt to make something shitty, I don't have to congratulate you. Setting the bar low doesn't make it a success.

BearPawB

Banned
I understand your point, but you shouldn't be going broke over it. Over all of the years of gaming there's only a couple times where I took a chance on a game I wasn't sure about, but knew I wanted to play it, where it became a "phenomenon". Those were Call of Duty 4, Sleeping Dogs and to a certain extent, Red Faction: Guerrilla. In Red Faction's case I was waiting impatiently hyped for about a year though.

My point is that feeling of missing out by not buying a new release hasn't happened in my experience. I actually like going to a game after the hype and discussion has died down, so I can formulate my own opinions without feeling that pressure of finishing it right away.

Broke is an exaggeration. And I think it matters for some games way more than others.

I think it matters most for games like Darksouls /Bloodborne. Lots of secrets. Hard boss fights you want to try yourself. Conversations about finding obscure items. It is way less fun to play those games once the secrets have all been discovered.

There are plenty of games i say, "eh i can wait" i'm at that point in alien isolation/far cry 4. Both seem like they would be up my alley but, that I could play them later.

Myggen

I have to say, I'm not ready to write the game off (it might have a good story), but every time I see gameplay footage of the game I just see some dude hiding behind a wall, sometimes looking over to shoot shit and then going back to hiding again. And MAN am I tired of that kind of gameplay, especially when it seems like that's basically the game.

BearPawB

Banned
I have to say, I'm not ready to write the game off (it might have a good story), but every time I see gameplay footage of the game I just see some dude hiding behind a wall, sometimes looking over to shoot shit and then going back to hiding again. And MAN am I tired of that kind of gameplay, especially when it seems like that's basically the game.

See, I love third person cover shooters. What bothers me about the order, is that it doesn't seem like that much cover shooting. It seems more like cutscenes interrupted by cover shooting.

I am all for narrative focused games (i love gone home). But I want to DO the cool things in games, not watch them and maybe hit a timed qte

daydream

Banned
what is it about these inoffensively run-of-the-mill ps4 exclusives that is causing all this hubbub

i want to say it's the lack of releases but driveclub dropped in october which was reasonably busy

Liamc723

That's precisely what I think about the game.

And it would be fine if you had originally said that it was all in your opinion, but you didn't. Saying these things as if they reflect every gamer's thoughts:

That's why the cut scenes can't be skipped, because without them people would realize a lot sooner how awful everything else is.

I'm not going to play the game, because it is plainly awful.

They don't.

I don't mind cinematic games, I'll be buying The Order at a cheaper price. Go and look in the impressions thread on the Gaming side, you'll see that people do want to play this "shitty" game.

KingKong

I don't mind cinematic games, I'll be buying The Order at a cheaper price. Go and look in the impressions thread on the Gaming side, you'll see that people do want to play this "shitty" game.

this is neogaf, there isnt a game out there that people wouldn't want to play

The sadfest part imo is that a game like Heavy Rain not only manages to be more cinematic, but it has more gameplay to it. And its open ended.

sjack

Banned
The sadfest part imo is that a game like Heavy Rain not only manages to be more cinematic, but it has more gameplay to it. And its open ended.

The Order really has to be some new level magnitude of shit if Heavy Rain is the better game in this comparison.

my favorite part of Heavy Rain was that every action was analogue so whenever I got bored I'd open and close doors and cabinets over and over

truly open world, you make your own fun

e: you know what, I'll take bad parent/cyber cop simulator over werewolf cover shooter any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom