• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
"its butthole city"

And those last 10 or so minutes of Demo Derby are amazing.

Those poor people.

And yes. I fully subscribe to Drew's idea that the 90's didnt end really until around 2006-2007.

I just figure that XTREEEEM ATTITUDE "era" of video games and its related marketing was in its twilight years during that video, to be replaced with what we're in now (in its twilight).

I just figure that XTREEEEM ATTITUDE "era" of video games and its related marketing was in its twilight years during that video, to be replaced with what we're in now (in its twilight).

I think it lasted a bit longer. The early Xbox 360 E3's with J Allard talking about Velocity Girl totally fell into that era.

Now that I think about it I think that "xtreme attitude" died when Allard left.

pachuco

With Patrick's leaving and the hiring of Dan, I'm not sure that I am going to be a paying member anymore.

Dan is terrible.

If his whole persona is fake (I believe it is.) then I weep at his Kaufman-esque attempt at creating a celebrity persona and, since I live in the midwest and see people like him everyday, any kitschy appeal he may have had is lost on me.

If his persona is real...well, then fuck America! There is no hope for this country. Patrick embodied everything that was good about being a cool midwesterner. Dan is the part of the midwest that we have been trying to evolve past.

With Patrick's leaving and the hiring of Dan, I'm not sure that I am going to be a paying member anymore.

Dan is terrible.

If his whole persona is fake (I believe it is.) then I weep at his Kaufman-esque attempt at creating a celebrity persona and, since I live in the midwest and see people like him everyday, any kitschy appeal he may have had is lost on me.

If his persona is real...well, then fuck America! There is no hope for this country. Patrick embodied everything that was good about being a cool midwesterner. Dan is the part of the midwest that we have been trying to evolve past.

While you're at it, close the door behind you.

Dan is terrible.

lol people are so fucking weird.

komplanen

Dan is terrible.

Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

justjim89

Dan is terrible.

Dan is educated, hardworking, and positive to a fault. What's so hard to believe about a guy that doesn't learn about stuff he doesn't care about? What's wrong with a guy that completely embraces the things that make him happy? He's not hurting anyone. Hell, he's actively trying to help people with stuff like Danswers and his Anxiety book coming out. He's using his platform and audience to try and do some good, all the while bringing more new content ideas to the site since it's inception. We could all stand to be a little more like Dan, and I say that with complete sincerity.

Patrick played horror games and wrote some articles that got GB attention from both sides of the shithead spectrum, and in my estimation never entirely fit in at GB. I respect Patrick and enjoyed some of his work, but it's extremely telling that everything he's done for the past few years as part of Giant Bomb he does now almost entirely unchanged through Kotaku and his Youtube channel.

this is certainly a well-rounded individual

also, look where being a cool midwesterner got patrick

sjack

Banned
it represents infinite possibilities

2371194-ryckert_reilly.jpg

jgminto

Dan wouldn't have a Persona, he'd have a Stand coloured like the American flag.and named after some 70's southern rock band

erawsd

Dan is educated, hardworking, and positive to a fault. What's so hard to believe about a guy that doesn't learn about stuff he doesn't care about? What's wrong with a guy that completely embraces the things that make him happy? He's not hurting anyone. Hell, he's actively trying to help people with stuff like Danswers and his Anxiety book coming out. He's using his platform and audience to try and do some good, all the while bringing more new content ideas to the site since it's inception. We could all stand to be a little more like Dan, and I say that with complete sincerity.

Patrick played horror games and wrote some articles that got GB attention from both sides of the shithead spectrum, and in my estimation never entirely fit in at GB. I respect Patrick and enjoyed some of his work, but it's extremely telling that everything he's done for the past few years as part of Giant Bomb he does now almost entirely unchanged through Kotaku and his Youtube channel.

Preach-tumblr.gif

Come on guys, lets not just go overboard defending Dan. If the guy doesnt like him then the guy doesnt like him.

I'm not nearly at the point where having Dan in content makes me want to turn off but I do find him annoying and dont find his persona (real or not) entertaining at all. Now if you want to talk about people that make me want to turn off GB content then thats Rorie.

sjack

Banned
Come on guys, lets not just go overboard defending Dan. If the guy doesnt like him then the guy doesnt like him.

I'm not nearly at the point where having Dan in content makes me want to turn off but I do find him annoying and dont find his persona (real or not) entertaining at all. Now if you want to talk about people that make me want to turn off GB content then thats Rorie.

Never understood the Rorie hate. He seems like a genuine guy and his laugh can potentially cure cancer.

The guy who hates dan seems to be a lovely chap. Let's forget this whole dan thing-He just seems to have a thing against America or something from the sounds of it. He probably hates freedom, and hates little children walking their dogs on this free country's roads. He probably hates a good drink after work. He probably hates alot more things, and dan is the least of his worries.

Never understood the Rorie hate. He seems like a genuine guy and his laugh can potentially cure cancer.

Lol, I find his laugh really grating. I think a lot of it is the way he talks with such confidence and knowledge about stuff but then is getting loads wrong and will then argue with people that correct him. That and when he doesnt like something he makes it way too obvious, to the point that it becomes rude.

I dont hate Rorie, I guess he's just not the type of person I want to see do stuff like this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I don't get the Rorie hate at all. I can understand why people would dislike Dan's schtick, but Rorie just seems like good times fun times.

Lol, I find his laugh really grating. I think a lot of it is the way he talks with such confidence and knowledge about stuff but then is getting loads wrong and will then argue with people that correct him. That and when he doesnt like something he makes it way too obvious, to the point that it becomes rude.

I dont hate Rorie, I guess he's just not the type of person I want to see do stuff like this.

Rorie being in a GB video is such a infrequent occurrence that I'm surprised that anyone can be bothered by him.

sjack

Banned

How is him being open and upfront with his feelings towards things make him rude? If anything he seems like a genuine guy all the more for it. Can't really comment on the other stuff since I don't remember a specific case of him doing that.

How is him being open and upfront with his feelings towards things make him rude? If anything he seems like a genuine guy all the more for it. Can't really comment on the other stuff since I don't remember a specific case of him doing that.

The rude thing I'm talking about was more a specific moment when they were playing an FMV game and Rorie made it really obvious he wasnt liking it by yawning a lot and making snarky comments. He was called up on it by the community at the time anyway.

Its not like im calling for him to leave, I understand that a lot of people do like him. Its just a personality clash thing maybe as for me, nothing about him is ever entertaining but im resigned to the fact that others do like him. Its why I only ever bring it up occassionally and am not constantly moaning lol.

I didn't like Dan at first tbh. Thought he revelled in his ignorance and acts of idiocy, and too much time per Bombcast was spent doing the same.

He's pretty great though, liking him more and more. Doing a decent job at filling the gap that was left by Vinny, for me anyway. And those are huge shoes to fill.

sjack

Banned
He's pretty great though, liking him more and more. Doing a decent job at filling the gap that was left by Vinny, for me anyway. And those are huge shoes to fill.

Vinny's still here you know. I tend to opt to go to his Quick Looks when Dan becomes a little too much.

Alex and Vinny have become a pretty great combo too. Some of the funniest moments in these videos are set-up by Alex, and he's the best straight man at GiantBomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom