• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
ai3kUTx.gif

Jintor

The Order: As good as a Kirby game

let's goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I won't pretend to guess at how much $60 means to you, dear reader, but I will say that The Order is a middling experience with a couple of bright flashes that only serve to remind you that this could be a more interesting game if more of its ideas were fully formed. If you're bent on seeing The Order for yourself, you should probably rent it.

lol

danm999

Shit, Jeff's review was pretty scathing.

I would have said he was about to get a whole heap of shit for it from fanboys, but GameSpot gave it 5.0, Polygon 5.5, IGN 6.5...

Games getting savaged.

Myggen

Shit, Jeff's review was pretty scathing.

I would have said he was about to get a whole heap of shit for it from fanboys, but GameSpot gave it 5.0, Polygon 5.5, IGN 6.5...

Games getting savaged.

There were already a ton of "Gamespot hates video games now!!!!" comments under their Kirby review yesterday, can't imagine how this is gonna go in their comment section...

Still, gonna buy this game when it's heavily discounted just to look at the graphics. I didn't expect the gameplay to be mindblowing.

Lelcar

I have a rental subscription and it's great, I get to play a whole bunch of stuff. I wouldn't be able to put together my GOTY list each year if I didn't rent games.

Xater

Remember this quote from one of the RAD guys?

I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that… it’s a game, we make games, we can’t get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it’s what we start with. It’s at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it’d be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay’s sake, then try to make a story that fits in there

That's when I knew this game would not be good.

Xater

You sure that's not a David Cage quote? :p

Nope, that's a quote from game director (!) Dana Jan: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

I mean, I'm looking at a lot of these reviews which are sort of indicating the story isn't anything to write home about either.

Which makes it even funnier. I think that largely games are the wrong outlet as a straight story medium. At least in the way most of the so called cinematic games do.

But you know how it will be matted and you shoot accordingly. It's planned to be framed in a specific way.
Of course, but the whole discussion seemed to imply they thought it was an outdated practice that should no longer exist because of 16:9 tvs. It is something done for artistic reasons and not because there were ever screens designed for it.

Liamc723

Wait, there's black bars on the side of the screen as well!? I thought it was just like The Evil Within where they're just at the top and bottom. Ugh, I really don't like that.

Xater

Of course, but the whole discussion seemed to imply they thought it was an outdated practice that should no longer exist because of 16:9 tvs. It is something done for artistic reasons and not because there were ever screens designed for it.

Exactly, but I am also in the boat that thinks it's dumb in video games if you give the player camera control.

there are valid reasons to choose to shoot in flat or scope format, but it sounds like Jeff is saying that artistic intent doesn't matter much in a game when it adversely impacts your ability to play the game.

Who could have guessed that The Order ended up sucking?

I really love the last paragraph in Jeff's review. I'd be interested to play it if it ends up on PS+ but it doesn't look like it's worth money.

Jeff says it took him 6 hours to beat it. Short confirmed.

Jeff must have skipped those extra 6 hours of soaking in the atmosphere.

At least RAD now has some decent tech to go with whatever they work on next. They just need to make the gameplay something worth giving a shit about.
Most reviews are ripping apart the writing too, which is kind of a big deal if you want to make this sort of game.

Renpatsu

I still think one of the strangest decisions RAD made was not pushing more of their UI or subtitles to the black bars at the top and bottom of the frame, instead choosing to pack it tightly into shot where most of the gameplay would go. It just makes it less cinematic given how far they're going with the visual presentation of the game.

Xater

Jeff's review was good. Can't really disagree with anything. Gonna watch the QL later to hopefully hear some more of his thoughts.

Myggen

Watching the QL and The Order just doesn't look fun to me.

It looks exactly how it has looked in the gameplay footage they showed pre release, really. A very standard and extremely linear third person cover based shooter with QTEs and a seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay and back. Which, yes, is not really something that excites me.

Jeff must have skipped those extra 6 hours of soaking in the atmosphere.

Most reviews are ripping apart the writing too, which is kind of a big deal if you want to make this sort of game.

let's be honest now, if the gameplay was good no one would be giving a shit about the writing. I can barely remember anything outside of maybe 4-5 moments throughout the entire gears trilogy (never played judgment) and yet i thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of those campaigns.

I still think one of the strangest decisions RAD made was not pushing more of their UI or subtitles to the black bars at the top and bottom of the frame, instead choosing to pack it tightly into shot where most of the gameplay would go. It just makes it less cinematic given how far they're going with the visual presentation of the game.
Having ui information outside of the frame distracts you from the picture. It's why the vast majority of subtitled widescreen films keep them out of the boxes. Not to mention the bars aren't actually that big.

let's be honest now, if the gameplay was good no one would be giving a shit about the writing. I can barely remember anything outside of maybe 4-5 moments throughout the entire gears trilogy (never played judgment) and yet i thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of those campaigns.

The Order is structured in a different way. The Gears games weren't 40% cutscenes and trying to be movies. If you're going to make a "cinematic" game, the writing had better be up to par.

Renpatsu

Having ui information outside of the frame distracts you from picture. It's why the vast majority of subtitled widescreen films keep them out of the boxes. Not to mention the bars aren't actually that big.
I guess it might just be a matter of preference for me then as with video I usually have my soft subs pushed outside the frame whenever possible.

Zaph

Yup. I've played adventure games for like 20+ years, so the idea of 'cinematic' games really appeals to be, but somehow that word now means flashy cutscenes and afterthought dialogue?

Enslaved isn't perfect, but I think they nailed the idea of a cinematic action game.

The Order is structured in a different way. The Gears games weren't 40% cutscenes and trying to be movies. If you're going to make a "cinematic" game, the writing had better be up to par.

well, yeah, i suppose if youre selling point is WE IS A MOVIE then you've gotta have some decently written characters and scenarios to justify that position, ill grant you that. Just sayin', even if that was their approach and they bombed it on the writing-end of things, if the gameplay was good enough no one would care if it's 40% cutscenes or not, people would play the game a bunch and just skip that shit in replays.

hell, we've got people thirsting for an MGS3 run in this here thread and that game has gotta be 40% cutscenes, no?

well, yeah, i suppose if youre selling point is WE IS A MOVIE then you've gotta have some decently written characters and scenarios to justify that position, ill grant you that. Just sayin', even if that was their approach and they bombed it on the writing-end of things, if the gameplay was good enough no one would care if it's 40% cutscenes or not, people would play the game a bunch and just skip that shit in replays.

hell, we've got people thirsting for an MGS3 run in this here thread and that game has gotta be 40% cutscenes, no?

But the cutscenes in The Order are unskippable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom