• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the game looks pretty fun but what bothers me is it seems unanimous that the game ends very suddenly which makes me wonder if Sony rushed the team along to finish the game before they were ready. The team originally talked about the game having a big emphasis on soft body physics that seem non-existent in the final product so it'll be interesting to see if any stories on the development process come out.

If nothing else the visuals are unparalleled and one assumes that most of the development went towards the creation of the engine so the sequel or whatever project they work on next could be something special.

I still think one of the strangest decisions RAD made was not pushing more of their UI or subtitles to the black bars at the top and bottom of the frame, instead choosing to pack it tightly into shot where most of the gameplay would go. It just makes it less cinematic given how far they're going with the visual presentation of the game.

Did Beyond/Evil Within or any other games in this ratio do that? Interested in seeing whether or not that would be just as distracting (just in a different way) as having UI shit clutter up the screen.

I still think the game looks pretty fun but what bothers me is it seems unanimous that the game ends very suddenly which makes me wonder if Sony rushed the team along to finish the game before they were ready. The team originally talked about the game having a big emphasis on soft body physics that seem non-existent in the final product so it'll be interesting to see if any stories on the development process come out.

Having watched the ending and much of the game on youtube, it feels like the final act is missing. I don't know if that was the plan or if there were production difficulties, but it doesn't tell a satisfying self-contained story.

TraBuch

Banned
The whole cutscene-heavy/QTE/linear/generic cover-based TPS thing doesn't really bother me all that much, but the fact that the story apparently isn't very good (And it absolutely needs to be GREAT in a game like this) and the complete lack of any replay value is killing my interest in this game for $60. I'll probably pick it up for $20 one day.

Looks like Wolfenstein is still the best single-player campaign of this gen.

Did Beyond/Evil Within or any other games in this ratio do that? Interested in seeing whether or not that would be just as distracting (just in a different way) as having UI shit clutter up the screen.
The best way to play the Evil Within is with the hud off :p But no, it's not very common at all.

Dan calling GoW 3 a 5 hour game. Poor GoW 3, you were a 10 hour game ;_;
Yeah, that was weird. It's shorter than God of War 2 by a fair bit but it's still at least 8-10 hours on a first playthrough.

I almost think this would be a better concept for an actual movie. There isn't enough there for a game, really, but the setting is novel and would probably suit a pulpy action film.

Reading the review thread, people really think that review outlets have an anti-Sony exclusive bias? Goodness.

Just saw the post to "So add 1.0 for being sony exclusive. 7.7 not bad at all"... what

Xater

I almost think this would be a better concept for an actual movie. There isn't enough there for a game, really, but the setting is novel and would probably suit a pulpy action film.

Or a comic book.

Reading the review thread, people really think that review outlets have an anti-Sony exclusive bias? Goodness.

It's the fanboys. The ones that have been hyping this shit up to infinity despite there being nothing on display that warrants that.

People seem to take a few posters out of hundreds and craft a narrative out of the minority. I doubt most people think that.

Having watched the ending and much of the game on youtube, it feels like the final act is missing. I don't know if that was the plan or if there were production difficulties, but it doesn't tell a satisfying self-contained story.
Very strange, as I said hopefully information leaks out about the development.

But the cutscenes in The Order are unskippable!

and if you want MGS3 to be sensible in any way, the argument remains that their cutscenes are unskippable, too. It just has the benefit of having enjoyable gameplay so that it doesn't matter that the last cutscene you saw had a russian 20-something meowing like a cat because you're going to put on an alligator hat and sneak around some dumb guards soon thereafter.

I feel like my initial reaction to the Order holds up: It's basically the Bouncer of the PS4. And you know what? The Bouncer is an alright game to rent or to pick up for under $20. Just not something you'd want to have spent $60 on when it's not doing much to justify it.

Xater

Very strange, as I said hopefully information leaks out about the development.

This game was also delayed by quite some time. It seems like Sony studios might have been overwhelmed with their big budget titles. At least Bloodborne I am confident will be good base don past precedent and the demo I have played.

dogflaps

Banned
Does anyone know why Jeff seems so reluctant to do a Game of the Generation podcast? I listen to the podcast every week and very occasionally watch a Quick Look, but if they put a decent length GoaG (4 - 5 hours) up for premium members I would sign up in a heartbeat.

and if you want MGS3 to be sensible in any way, the argument remains that their cutscenes are unskippable, too. It just has the benefit of having enjoyable gameplay so that it doesn't matter that the last cutscene you saw had a russian 20-something meowing like a cat because you're going to put on an alligator hat and sneak around some dumb guards soon thereafter.

Well I don't disagree with your premise. But if Kojima games didn't have an entertaining story, I wouldn't think very highly of them despite the gameplay being solid. If you're going to devote a ton of time and attention to the story, the writing needs to be good, or at least entertaining. You could point to MGS4's more bloated segments for an example of how it hurts even Metal Gear.

Does anyone know why Jeff seems so reluctant to do a Game of the Generation podcast? I listen to the podcast every week and very occasionally watch a Quick Look, but if they put a decent length GoaG (4 - 5 hours) up for premium members I would sign up in a heartbeat.
I imagine it's a logistical issue as much as anything. GOTY podcasts take a ton of time.

danm999

There are definitely some unbalanced individuals in that review thread attempting to put the entire industry on trial for reviewing the Order the way they did. My guess is though it'll go down in Gaf collective memory as a Lair/Haze style game.

Haze was hot garbage but I stand by my opinion that Lair is a misunderstood gem. I have finished that game three times ;-;

And the Order is getting no where near the negative reception those two did. Mediocre seems to be the general consensus whereas Haze and Lair got active vitriol.

LiK

Haze was hot garbage but I stand by my opinion that Lair is a misunderstood gem. I have finished that game three times ;-;

And the Order is getting no where near the negative reception those two did. Mediocre seems to be the general consensus whereas Haze and Lair got active vitriol.

hey, I liked Ryse even tho a lot of reviewers shat on it. I'm gonna check out The Order anyway and see for myself. Not gonna watch some ugly Twitch stream of it either.

There are definitely some unbalanced individuals in that review thread attempting to put the entire industry on trial for reviewing the Order the way they did. My guess is though it'll go down in Gaf collective memory as a Lair/Haze style game.

I don't think it's as bad as those. The Order seems to be a pretty game but one that falls short. There's a niche of people that will love it (or people who convince themselves they love it) but overall it will be seen as a mediocre game.

sjack

Banned
Have GB done reviews for Souls game before? Because if they do one for Bloodborne, the idea of anyone other than Vinny reviewing it would be a nightmare, and as far as I know it, it doesn't seem that Vinny has the time to do reviews anymore.

danm999

I don't think it's as bad as those. The Order seems to be a pretty game but one that falls short. There's a niche of people that will love it (or people who convince themselves they love it) but overall it will be seen as a mediocre game.

I mean, I only played Lair 9 months or so after it was released, which I understand was a totally different experience to launch, so it may seem harsher a comparison than I intend.

The comparison is basically my shorthand for a mediocre game that got hyped to hell and back because it's platform was struggling for high quality exclusives at the time.

He is known to prefer cheaper quality steak, after all.

It's why it's never quite worked with him and Chie.

LiK

Have GB done reviews for Souls game before? Because if they do one for Bloodborne, the idea of anyone other than Vinny reviewing it would be a nightmare, and as far as I know it, it doesn't seem that Vinny has the time to do reviews anymore.

Brad is a possibility. He was a big fan of DS2.

repeater

Why would it be a nightmare? Brad is into the Souls series, and if I'm not mistaken Dan expressed an appreciation for DS2 (the only one he's played so far, I think?) on the GOTY podcasts.

hamchan

The games are probably too long for them to bother doing reviews. Unless they hand it out to Rorie to review no one else is going to want to do it. They'll certainly play it but I don't see them wanting to rush through it. They can make a video series out of it and get more content from a souls game too.

Myggen

I don't think Vinny ever had time to review games, He's reviewed Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time and maybe a handful of other games, but he's not an editor.

If anyone's gonna review the game, it's probably either Dan or Brad. Dan liked what he played of DS2, but hasn't played any of the other Souls games.

Patryn

eh, like I said in my edit above, this looks boring as crap. the presentation is the only thing that's doing much for me.

also, per SWERY, man, I recommend people follow him on twitter or instagram. he's on my short list of video game people I'd want to hit up some bars with. what a funny, odd, genuine, awesome dude.

You haven't lived until you've seen SWERY full on rocking out on stage with a Guitar Hero controller and a stuffed monkey strapped to his back.

eh, like I said in my edit above, this looks boring as crap. the presentation is the only thing that's doing much for me.

also, per SWERY, man, I recommend people follow him on twitter or instagram. he's on my short list of video game people I'd want to hit up some bars with. what a funny, odd, genuine, awesome dude.

he also follows back on twitter which i think is awesome

sjack

Banned
You haven't lived until you've seen SWERY full on rocking out on stage with a Guitar Hero controller and a stuffed monkey strapped to his back.

I remember I got an automatic follow by him when I started following him on twitter. I don't know what it says about me that to do this day he has been the only follower I've ever gotten.

LiK

Didn't he stop playing after a few hours, promise to get back into it with the pc version, and then never did?

it's been a while, but I believe he got pretty far or even beat it. I think he didn't play a huge amount of DS1 tho. he only did that for a stream, iirc.

hopefully they get Vinny to do a Bloodborne QL.

sjack

Banned
Why would it be a nightmare? Brad is into the Souls series, and if I'm not mistaken Dan expressed an appreciation for DS2 (the only one he's played so far, I think?) on the GOTY podcasts.

Because he is the only one that has stuck through those games from the very beginning and gave them the attention they deserved (I'm talking about the main staff here, not Rorie, Ian or Mat).

not going to lie: seeing all of the knack avatars in the review thread is super amusing

i havent seen avatars for over a year. It forces me to judge someone for the content of their posts. It also makes me feel better about using this site since it doesn't look like i'm on some weird anime kiddy website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom