• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

My favorite part of the pre-release The Order threads were people claiming that all the negative comments are just PC gamers who are salty that The Order is the best looking game ever. We're getting some good crazy in the review thread though. I can't stop reading it.

You have to understand these people create a very weird reality based on their favorite system. My PS4 is my favorite and most played system but I still thought this game does seem to be good. This is utterly irrelevant to these people though because they stop being lead by logic or reason.

Wait, The Order is 6 hours long? That's not bad actually, that's longer than The Witness!

GnwWgiG.gif

Megasoum

Banned
I mean, the game is what it is. If it's getting reviews solidly 5-7 (or equivalent), that's what it earned. I have no issues with that.

That being said, I politely disagree and don't think it looked terrible. Graphics were top-notch, the various shots of guys limbs blowing off and such seemed like it would bump up the action and well...seems like a let-down. But like I said, the vitriole is....uh, it's something.

I'm convinced there's some magic formula we can use to predict when this happens, like super-bookies who can bank on sports events.

Visualy the game is stunning, no objection there. That's been obvious since the reveal. However, since the first gameplay demo it was clear that it would be a super linear run of the mill TPS that gets interrupted by cutscenes and QTEs every 2minutes.

Largo

Visualy the game is stunning, no objection there. That's been clear since the beginning. However, since the first gameplay demo it was clear that it would be a super linear run of the mill TPS that gets interrupted by cutscenes and QTEs every 2minutes.

Ah. See, I'm okay with that if all of that stuff is GOOD.

Now I need something else to anticipate, like uh....maybe The Rap Man should drop an album.

You have to understand these people create a very weird reality based on their favorite system. My PS4 is my favorite and most played system but I still thought this game does seem to be good. This is utterly irrelevant to these people though because they stop being lead by logic or reason.
In the past few months people seem to be especially crazy, it's really bizarre.

Zodzilla

I don't get the big deal about black bars. They didn't bother me at all in RE4 or TEW. The actual problem with TEW (on consoles) was the swimmy frame rate early on in the game.

I haven't played the game (don't have a PS4), but after watching the QL I feel like this one choice basically describes the main issue with the game. It's about form over fun. After checking out their QL for Kirby yesterday, I'd say Dan felt the same way about that game too.

Kimaka

The Order looks about what I expected. Pretty and boring. I was mildly interested in it after that first E3 trailer then I discovered that it was a cinematic TPS. Maybe if the story sounded good I would consider a rental.

Myggen

I don't get the big deal about black bars. They didn't bother me at all in RE4 or TEW. The actual problem with TEW (on consoles) was the swimmy frame rate early on in the game.

I think it's a preference thing. I couldn't stand the bars in TEW; whether it's true or not, I felt they restricted my view way too much. I also think it's pretty dumb to put black bars in a video game, "artistic choice" or not.

The black bars in TEW actually worsen the gameplay by leaving you just a fraction of the screen to cope with the horrors the game throws at you. It's alleviated on the PC, where they basically admit that the bars are a concession for performance purposes on the newgen machines by allowing for a barless experience.

but it seems like the bars are the least of the Order's concerns.

Megasoum

Banned
I think it's a preference thing. I couldn't stand the bars in TEW; whether it's true or not, I felt they restricted my view way too much. I also think it's pretty dumb to put black bars in a video game, "artistic choice" or not.

Yeah... If it's really for an "artstic choice" then I think it's dumb but whatever, it's their game. What bugs me is when they say it's for a cinematic feel when in reality it's simply because they don't want to render at full res.

I give them the benefit of the doubt but it's a bit scummy.

BearPawB

Banned
Console fanboys are so obnoxious.
Just people trying to justify their purchases.

Order gets a bad review: "fuck reviewers, i'm going to decide for myself, their all agenda pushing assholes"

The order gets a good review and it is all about how much integrity that reviewer has.

And don't think i'm just putting this on Sony fans. Microsoft and Nintendo fans do it too.

It is eternal and never ending

so am I crazy or is the mike tyson fight not a well-designed fight

it's like they threw in a minute and a half of indiscernible 1-hit KO shots with little rhyme or reason to them after they finished designing the fight and thought it was too easy

that, and the timing is super strict so that you end up moving back from a dodge into punches that didn't actually land on you but still knock you out

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
so am I crazy or is the mike tyson fight not a well-designed fight

it's like they threw in a minute and a half of indiscernible 1-hit KO shots with little rhyme or reason to them after they finished designing the fight and thought it was too easy

that, and the timing is super strict so that you end up moving back from a dodge into punches that didn't actually land on you but still knock you out

It's the sort of thing you could put at the end of a 30 minute game to make sure people don't beat it for nearly 30 years. See: Most games made in the 80s.

Myggen

What is up with all of GAF using this avatar?

image.php

It gets really fucking confusing.

edit: Also, the most annoying complaint against negative opinions is probably "X didn't review a game for what it is, but for what he wanted it to be". It's literally a meaningless complaint.

Bacon

image.php

huh. I've been thinking it was just one person using that avatar without even looking at the name associated with it. That's why I see it everywhere, lol

Quenk

image.php

edit: Also, the most annoying complaint against negative opinions is probably "X didn't review a game for what it is, but for what he wanted it to be". It's literally a meaningless complaint.

A lot of people lost an avatar bet.

It's the sort of thing you could put at the end of a 30 minute game to make sure people don't beat it for nearly 30 years. See: Most games made in the 80s.

It's crazy, though. Like 80% of beating the fight is just making it through that first 1:30. If that part was like the rest of the fight, nobody would give a shit about if someone beat Tyson or not.

My goodness, that review thread....is huge. 70 pages!?

And yeah....after seeing the final fight on youtube, I pretty much expected the game to score like this. Good lord this game....

....I had a nightmare where Jeff gave it a 5.

In a fairly unrelated topic: I really hope Quantum Break ends up being good. I'm a sucker for games with manipulating/messed up time as a theme.

Megasoum

Banned
In a fairly unrelated topic: I really hope Quantum Break ends up being good. I'm a sucker for games with manipulating/messed up time as a theme.

Yeah I hope so too but they haven'T really showed me anything so far that wowed me. I loved MP and Alan Wake so hopefully they can deliver.

LiK

preview gameplay looked cool but i'm worried about the whole stupid TV show tie-in. I hope the game is good.

hamchan

Not sold on the gameplay but I'm confident enough in Remedy's ability to make an interesting story, filled with wackiness and great atmosphere, so it could be worth paying just for that.

Jeff:"Video games aren't movies. Chasing after movies is a really weak goal, that games can be so much more. Games are so much more."

Well said!

Patryn

I liked Alan Wake, so I'm hopeful, but I'm also fully expecting the whole TV Show/game integration to be terrible and/or nonexistent.

Not sold on the gameplay but I'm confident enough in Remedy's ability to make an interesting story, filled with wackiness and great atmosphere, so it could be worth paying just for that.

I thought the preview where he's (not sure if spoilers?)
fighting on the bridge in mid collapse was really cool. Fighting against the soldiers who are immune to the time lock resulted in interest combat scenarios -- I really liked how it looked aesthetically too.

link to the part i'm talking about: http://youtu.be/ybRB8sBCigw?t=7m10s

Santar

preview gameplay looked cool but i'm worried about the whole stupid TV show tie-in. I hope the game is good.

Actually there is no tv show, it's only about 20 mins of live action cutscenes. Was explained on the most recent GT Time I think it was (gametrailers podcast)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm just reading through Jeff's review now and jesus fucking christ, there are forced stealth sequences with instant fail for being seen?

I'm beginning to become convinced that this game was just a social experiment to see how much they could make me hate something. That's an awful lot of money to try and drive one man mad Sony. I can respect that more than just wanting to make the blandest game ever.

BearPawB

Banned
Holy shit. Yall have to watch Patricks latest Demon Soul's video. Our old friend Potato Marshall pays Klepek a visit. And it goes so so so so bad.

I'm just reading through Jeff's review now and jesus fucking christ, there are forced stealth sequences with instant fail for being seen?

I'm beginning to become convinced that this game was just a social experiment to see how much they could make me hate something. That's an awful lot of money to try and drive one man mad Sony. I can respect that more than just wanting to make the blandest game ever.

You think people would learn how to stealth after MGS2, right?

Patryn

Actually there is no tv show, it's only about 20 mins of live action cutscenes. Was explained on the most recent GT Time I think it was (gametrailers podcast)

That sounds like quite a change. Weren't they saying originally that it was going to be a full season of TV, but you'd get different episodes based on your actions in the game?

Xater

Holy shit. Yall have to watch Patricks latest Demon Soul's video. Our old friend Potato Marshall pays Klepek a visit. And it goes so so so so bad.

If there was a class for game design these guys would fail at it. I like stealth but this is 2015.

That sounds like quite a change. Weren't they saying originally that it was going to be a full season of TV, but you'd get different episodes based on your actions in the game?

this was before microsoft waves a white flag in regards to producing video content. Since then, Remedy has had to come out and talk about the scope of their live action stuff a few times. First, i believe they said that they wouldn't be affected by those changes. These days, seems they've given up on those ambitions and now the scope of the FMV stuff is much smaller than when initially announced.

why Remedy announces anything so far in advance is beyond me, though. They seem to take a handful of years with their last few projects and somehow still get funding for their quirky games. It's like they're a not-Rockstar Rockstar studio.

Curufinwe

I'm just now catching up with the Bombcast and got to the part where Jeff is very meh about Half-Life 2. Can anyone add to this list of games widely regarded as being seminal and/or one of the best games of their generation, that Jeff either doesn't much care for or actively hates?

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom