• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Demo Derby: Official PlayStation Magazine: Disk 52 on the schedule.

Aw yeah.

M34COnl.gif

Tan

Skyward Sword is a great game you are all frauds

ALBW is a regressive disaster masquerading as a fresh take on the Zelda formula. It ejects everything that makes these games intellectually satisfying in favor of offering the player a larger degree of freedom. Yes, you can do the dungeons in any order, but how is that ideal when their low difficulty level offers no satisfaction in solving them? What kind of adventure is that?

Conversely, Wind Waker hues closely to the Zelda formula, but is also an unsatisfying game due to its brain-dead combat and simplistic dungeon design. But I guess the graphics are nice.

Now Twilight Princess, that's a fucking Zelda game. You go into the dungeon. You stand around thinking about what to do. You get the item. You stand around thinking about what to do. You put more of the pieces together. You fight the boss with the item as a test of your proficiency with the item. Further, Nintendo knows what items you have in every dungeon, so they can require you to use multiple items in sequence to construct more complex puzzles. This never happens in ALBW because you can have any combination of items in any dungeon. The baby was thrown out with the bathwater.

This is all put way harsher than I'd agree with, but I agree with it.
Except Skyward Sword. I loved the boss fights and was mostly bored with everything else.

hamchan

Zelda warning for those of you with sensitive constitutions.

If you think Twilight Princess is a bad Zelda game, then sorry, you don't actually like Zelda. It's Zelda ass Zelda, to steal a Giant Bombism.

I'm actually replaying the game right now, and that has become abundantly clear. It's also obvious what needs to be changed for the inevitable remake. The beginning of the game is terrible. It took me three hours to get to the first dungeon, which would be fine if everything before turning into the wolf wasn't mercilessly dull. Even that inital wolf stuff isn't great. The button layout, especially on the GameCube stinks. You can only equip two items at once. Ganondorf is shoehorned into the story, ruining it. The side characters are all dumb. Oh, and Link runs super stiffly, like he just sharted.

The dungeons are really, really good, though, so those should remain unchanged.

If you want to convince people that Twilight Princess is a good Zelda then perhaps don't include in your post a whole bunch of reasons why it's a bad Zelda.

Xeteh

I just finished Skyward Sword a few days ago. I liked it more than I thought it would, its slow as balls (let me make text scroll faster pleeeease) but nothing was more infuriating than the motion controls.

Lelcar

My top 5 favourite Zelda games in no order:

- Wind Waker
- A Link to the Past
- A Link Between Worlds
- Minish Cap
- Twilight Princess

Lelcar

I convinced myself that I liked Link's Awakening and Oracles for so many years, but I've come to terms with the fact that I don't actually like those games. It's something to do with the way that the shield is an inventory item and you only get two slots to map items vs how the puzzles are designed to keep you switching items constantly. I just never found the dungeons in those games to be very fun.

And I'm not a huge OoT fan. I respect and recognize its significance, but I just don't like playing it, whereas I did enjoy TP and of course WW. Skyward Sword has lots of problems, but I thought it was decent.

I can't stand Phantom Hourglass. It's the only Zelda that I actively dislike. Generally, I think that all Zeldas are at least good, but not PH.

Oh, and I want to give props to OG LoZ. If A Link Between Worlds hadn't come out then LoZ would be on my top 5. It holds up imo.

Best Zelda games, in no particular order:
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
Link's Awakening

Worst Zelda games, in no particular order:
A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda
Phantom Hourglass

They're coming hot off the heels of ALBW, which they've said was a means of testing the waters for their next zelda game. I dunno, i kinda like the odds on the WiiU game.

So it'll be the worst thing made by humans.

If you want to convince people that Twilight Princess is a good Zelda then perhaps don't include in your post a whole bunch of reasons why it's a bad Zelda.

Because misleading people and ignoring issues is a great way to get people on your side. I'm not going to lie and say that the whole game is perfect. It has issues, but outside of the very beginning of the game, they're all superfluous. It, however, on the whole has the best, most complex dungeons in any Zelda game. That should be enough to convince anyone who has the correct priorities, regardless of any other niggling issues.

komplanen

Anyone want to guess what (type of) games they play in this week's UPF?

Drew: A NES game from Punch Out room
Dan: The game about him
Jeff: A dusty old retro game, like Asteroids or something similar
Brad: Something no one cares about so everyone talks over him about wrestling

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I agree that link's awakening is a top tier zelda game, but the last time a fellow member disagreed with me I couldn't really articulate why. I loved it as a kid. I never played alttp back then (beyond a brief loan from a classmate) and tried to go back recently and couldn't stick with it. I think the 2 worlds thing annoyed me, but I'm sure it's a great aspect of that game.

Also i'm only just fully catching up on last week's upf now, and didn't realise jason put up the drew picture a second time for drew to see. That was a pretty funny surprise.

So, is PAXAMANIA different from the PAX Rumble? Did they just change the name or are they changing the format as well?

Also, where's my Giant Powerbombcast? I need it to get through the workday tomorrow.

Zaph

So, is PAXAMANIA different from the PAX Rumble? Did they just change the name or are they changing the format as well?

Also, where's my Giant Powerbombcast? I need it to get through the workday tomorrow.

Sounds like they're changing the format too so it's more like a show rather than just random person after random person running in.

Has the potential of being a lot more fun

I'm happy to see Link's Awakening getting a lot of love. It's very quirky characters and bizarre story set it apart from the rest of the series. It's like, the Majora's Mask of the Zelda series. Wait, what?

Alfredo

Pat Baer goes over the Paxamania card here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSVxZIW4850

Match 1 is an "Invitational." 8 new-comers against each other for an invitation to the actual Royal Rumble.

Match 2 is "Grudge Match" between Samantha Kalman and Dr. Tracksuit, which was instigated at PAX South.

Then the Main Event is Dan vs Alex for the championship.

Sounds like the Rumble will probably be a PAX Prime thing and Paxamania is PAX East.

Sounds like they're changing the format too so it's more like a show rather than just random person after random person running in.

Has the potential of being a lot more fun

It does have potential. I wonder if this means they're only getting people involved who could actually "compete." It seemed like they got a lot of people in the Rumble that have never played an AKI wrestling game (or any wrestling game for that matter) and were just kind of a bummer.

That said, I hope the whole thing isn't just worked. It'd be a bummer if they're not competing for real.

Zaph

Pat Baer goes over the Paxamania card here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSVxZIW4850

Match 1 is an "Invitational." 8 new-comers against each other for an invitation to the actual Royal Rumble.

Match 2 is "Grudge Match" between Samantha Kalman and Dr. Tracksuit, which was instigated at PAX South.

Then the Main Event is Dan vs Alex for the championship.

Sounds like the Rumble will probably be a PAX Prime thing and Paxamania is PAX East.

That sounds like a potentially great format. Lots of time for trash talking, promo cutting and grand entrances.

Someone get Dan some pyro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom