• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

I've been thinking about selling my Gamecube copy of Twilight Princess... I should probably do that at some point.

I would do it before there is a hint of a chance of a remake of a 3DS version. That would reduce the demand for GC versions (ever so slightly though).

I would do it before there is a hint of a chance of a remake of a 3DS version. That would reduce the demand for GC versions (ever so slightly though).
Doubt we'd see a remake for anything that isn't a Wii U. that Donkey Kong wii port to 3ds ended up being a grimey looking port with half of the framerate from the Wii version. Xenoblade is on even better tech and it's still kinda rough looking, too.

The only other zelda game i could see coming from to the 3ds before the 4DSU launches is probably something using the TLBW engine since they've already got the tech in place and the last times they assembled tech specifically for a Zelda portable game (Phantom Hourglass, OoT 3D) they leveraged that investment into a followup (Spirit Tracks, MM3D).

Okay, so I warmed up quite a bit on Twilight Princess the second time I played through it. The dungeon design is really awesome.

That said, when that assuredly bogus rumor about a N3DS port was around, all I could think about was how horrific the textures would look.

LiK

Okay, so I warmed up quite a bit on Twilight Princess the second time I played through it. The dungeon design is really awesome.

That said, when that assuredly bogus rumor about a N3DS port was around, all I could think about was how horrific the textures would look.

I have both versions of TP and only watched the opening scene to compare to 4:3 to widescreen, lol. i'll probably boot up the GC version cuz I don't feel like playing waggle with it.

Volotaire

Doubt we'd see a remake for anything that isn't a Wii U. that Donkey Kong wii port to 3ds ended up being a grimey looking port with half of the framerate from the Wii version.

The only other zelda game i could see coming from to the 3ds before the 4DSU launches is probably something using the TLBW engine since they've already got the tech in place and the last times they assembled tech specifically for a Zelda portable game (Phantom Hourglass, OoT 3D) they leveraged that investment into a followup (Spirit Tracks, MM3D).

True, it would be a technical nightmare. it's just that posters seem to think that TP is the enxt port for N3DS.

I think they would port the Wii version of TP instead to the Wii U's eShop and leave it at that with fixed compatibility with Gamepad controls.

A Twilight Princess port-remake needs real work to look good in 201X. Game design improvements, all you need is to fix the intro and rejigger treasure chest prizes or give a larger wallet. I'd sooner see a fixed Skyward Sword. There's a great game hidden in there, I just know it.

Myggen

2727982-box.gif

I can't unsee this after the QL.

Megasoum

Banned
Huh okay, that sounds interesting.

I think I want to get a 3DS, mainly for the 3 Zelda games on the system.

Yeah I have the zelda 3DSXL with ALBW, Ocarina and soon Majora.... Pretty much all I played on it lol (I have Luigi's Mansion and 3DLand too but haven'T played them too much)...

It's basically a Zelda machine for me lol

Zebetite

Banned
I have both versions of TP and only watched the opening scene to compare to 4:3 to widescreen, lol. i'll probably boot up the GC version cuz I don't feel like playing waggle with it.

It's kind of amazing how much better I enjoy the game on a Gamecube controller. Mechanically, it becomes kinda like Wind Waker but with way more (and better) dungeon content. I'd even go so far as to say Twilight Princess has the best overall roster of dungeons since LTTP.

In the end, the Wii controls kinda distracted from everything that was good about that game and replaced it with disappointment that the controller wasnt as revolutionary an addition as it had been hyped up to be. And then when they finally delivered on that promise with Skyward Sword, it just so happened to be attached to a kinda bad Zelda game.

Chuck

Still without luck
Dude! Why the hell don't they realize that removing part of the resolution directly allows the game to look better?!

"Potentially"?? ffs

A Twilight Princess port-remake needs real work to look good in 201X. Game design improvements, all you need is to fix the intro and rejigger treasure chest prizes or give a larger wallet. I'd sooner see a fixed Skyward Sword. There's a great game hidden in there, I just know it.

You know how you could fix the very obvious flaw that Wind Waker had near the end, with that filler-ass filler of the triforce pieces?

well, with Skyward Sword what you have is essentially a 15-20 hour version of that very same problem in the back half of the game. Someone at Nintendo got some great ideas for how to reuse their 3 major environments and that person must've had something on Aonuma because that shit became way too long by the end of it all, including shit like making you fight the same major setpiece boss at least three times in that game with not much changing between each fight.

It's not going to take something like streamlining the water temple or making the triforce quest tighter that's going to fix SS. It's a major revamping of that stuff that happens when the game goes full Okami on your ass that they would need to fix, and i'm not sure they would be willing to make the cuts/changes necessary.

TraBuch

Banned
It's too bad that Lisa quick look didn't go for about another five hours. There's a part in this game that Alex would've absolutely fucking loved.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm happy to hear both Dan and Brad recognize the greatness that is ALBW. "Best Zelda game in a decade" indeed. It's a masterpiece.

I definitely enjoyed ALBW but perhaps not as much as people who really lauded it, some of the praise of it, from Giant Bomb included didn't hit home for me.
It was very good. It could have been better.

Megasoum

Banned
I definitely enjoyed ALBW but perhaps not as much as people who really lauded it, some of the praise of it, from Giant Bomb included didn't hit home for me.
It was very good. It could have been better.

Yeah I think it was an all right Zelda game that became great because of the LTTP Nostalgia, nothing more.

Fireblend

Banned
Minish Cap is brilliant. I made a LTTP thread about it after I beat it last month. I really didn't mind it being somewhat short; 6 dungeons isn't that bad, and it's got some pretty decent sidequests.

Having to track down all the figurines to grab the last heart piece is bullshit though.

Liamc723

Yeah I have the zelda 3DSXL with ALBW, Ocarina and soon Majora.... Pretty much all I played on it lol (I have Luigi's Mansion and 3DLand too but haven'T played them too much)...

It's basically a Zelda machine for me lol

The fact that I've never played Ocarina Of Time or Majora's Mask before makes it even more enticing haha, I think I'll buy one with my next bit of student loan.

and SD cards are cheap as hell so I mean unless you plan on trading your games back in, having all your games on one card is the best thing

You know how you could fix the very obvious flaw that Wind Waker had near the end, with that filler-ass filler of the triforce pieces?

well, with Skyward Sword what you have is essentially a 15-20 hour version of that very same problem in the back half of the game. Someone at Nintendo got some great ideas for how to reuse their 3 major environments and that person must've had something on Aonuma because that shit became way too long by the end of it all, including shit like making you fight the same major setpiece boss at least three times in that game with not much changing between each fight.

It's not going to take something like streamlining the water temple or making the triforce quest tighter that's going to fix SS. It's a major revamping of that stuff that happens when the game goes full Okami on your ass that they would need to fix, and i'm not sure they would be willing to make the cuts/changes necessary.

Even though I agree all you've said, I hold there's enough good to be mined from Skyward Sword that it's worth considering. In its current state I classify it as a heavily flawed game, not a bad game. Many of those flaws were overshadowed by the louder criticism of motion controls.

That crossbuy Mario vs Donkey Kong game is out exactly one month from now (in Europe). I plan on buying it digitally purely to say to Nintendo, "DO MORE CROSSBUY THINGS PLEASE".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom