• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
F3uELwc.jpg

or some hipster ass shirt
v3sJbzVl.jpg

Kirlia

Banned
Am I the only one who would buy the Metal Gear Dan/Drew T-shirt? The off-center faces are a little annoying, but I still really like the shirt.

...it's not because Drew is on it or anything...

(expects avatar quote)

Myggen

I was just reading about what happened to Gametrailers after Defy Media bought them, and both that story and what happened to Joystiq shows what an incredible deal GB got when CBSi bought them. To be able to be editorially independent and keep all your staff, I wouldn't be surprised if GB is the last more "traditional" games media site that get a deal like that.

I was just reading about what happened to Gametrailers after Defy Media bought them, and both that story and what happened to Joystiq shows what an incredible deal GB got when CBSi bought them. To be able to be editorially independent and keep all your staff, I wouldn't be surprised if GB is the last more "traditional" games media site that get a deal like that.

GB wasn't already owned by a media conglomerate when CBSI bought them, I imagine that gave them much more room to negotiate the terms of the sale.

Lelcar

Totally. And I think that's what was most important to Jeff. The whole point of his site, really. If the deal was anything less, then GB would still be at Whiskey Media. Or closed down.

chogidogs

I think freedom is the most important thing over there. Watching Eye of Rykert and that behind the scenes video just clearly gives you the impression than Dan has more freedom pitching ideas he wants to do and Jason has the budget to do awesome things. Genuinely happy for those guys. Moving across the country ain't no joke and I'm happy it working out for those guys.

Myggen

GB wasn't already owned by a media conglomerate when CBSI bought them, I imagine that gave them much more room to negotiate the terms of the sale.

True enough, but it's still pretty amazing that they managed to stay that unchanged. Jeff has talked about struggling to get resources in the start, and it sounds like he was close to giving up at one point, but still.

That SOPA Wikipedia video is fricken great! Man, that's one of the stupidest/greatest things I've seen in a long time. As much as I hate call-ins, this was great. I wish they would do another one of these, but I have no idea how they would do it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Dave should fly to new york for a week and record non stop random pc games with vinny and alex/

Zaph

It was pretty incredible when you consider how many outlets have been shutdown or 'restructured' in the past few years. Jeff's made it clear multiple times that was almost entirely down to the subscriber base. When paying customers are involved, there's only so much bullshit they can do before the product itself isn't what people signed up for.

In those other cases the parent company has free reign to do whatever they want because the only real customers are the advertisers. The readers are just a metric on Chartbeat.

The internet would be a lot better if people just paid for shit.

I still worry for gamespot
They seem to be doing fine, even hiring people.

Kinda brutal when you think about it though, they fired a bunch of senior OG staff only to hire cheaper, younger alternatives not too long after.

Myggen

It was pretty incredible when you consider how many outlets have been shutdown or 'restructured' in the past few years. Jeff's made it clear multiple times that was almost entirely down to the subscriber base. When paying customers are involved, there's only so much bullshit they can do before the product itself isn't what people signed up for.

In those other cases the parent company has free reign to do whatever they want because the only real customers are the advertisers. The readers are just a metric on Chartbeat.

The internet would be a lot better if people just paid for shit.

Yeah, as long as the subscription base keeps rising, I have to imagine that it's a pretty solid card to play every time a suit tries to tell them what to do creatively.

If people want to see how the subscription model was first received by the community, I recommend reading some of the comments on the first part of the Daggerfall Random PC Game, which was the first "Quick Look style video" behind a paywall.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Why on earth would Dan have a shot at Alex' title at PAX? Fucking Bullshit.

Samantha is getting robbed. AGAIN!

Fevaweva

That SOPA Wikipedia video is fricken great! Man, that's one of the stupidest/greatest things I've seen in a long time. As much as I hate call-ins, this was great. I wish they would do another one of these, but I have no idea how they would do it.

One of two times I was actually able to interact with the Giant Bomb crew was on that stream.

Good times.

Lelcar

Dave should fly to new york for a week and record non stop random pc games with vinny and alex/

I would triple my subscription for this. They can keep my credit card forever if it meant more random PC games with Dave and Vinny.

Phantasmagoria is the best feature on the site.

Frith

True

This is grade A nepotism bullshit

Dan has proven nothing. neither gimmick or in the ring has earned him a title shot. An also ran with a big mouth.

Samantha is the people's champion

Alex needs to stay undefeated till she gets her chance.

(I'm as assuming that this is all part of the plan)

Xater

If you know anything about wrestling you'd know that by the end of Paxamania the title match might be a triple threat match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom