• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
There was a link to one of Evilore's post regarding Gies some pages back. Try to find it. Gies is an asshole and is incompetent at his job.

Found it. Thanks.

A lot of people dislike him for being a very outspoken progressive voice, but that's mostly the gamergate crowd and not why he's disliked on GAF. He's disliked here mostly for being a pretty terrible writer, and for being perceived as a corporate shill (his ramblings about Sim City is probably the most infamous example).

He should also delete his Twitter account because he keeps saying dumb shit there, stuff like this whole fiasco.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sorry to derail the thread momentarily.

I don't know why people give him crap for this. I was just as excited. I don't like the idea that games writers can't get excited for games

the Skyrim thing? yeah I never understood that either. I figure the people complaining about someone getting excited to play a game for their job are the same ones who just want to know how many graphics the game has and a nice chart that shows the gameplay per dollar value.

Myggen

I don't know why people give him crap for this. I was just as excited. I don't like the idea that games writers can't get excited for games

Yeah, I've always hated when that gif is brought up to prove some point. People in the enthusiast press are supposed to be fans of the medium they're covering, and Justin's obviously a huge fan of that series. Sure he looks a bit silly, but I have absolutely no problem with it. He's just a huge nerd like the rest of us. People still post that gif here on gaf every time he's mentioned in a thread.

Why does Arthur Gies get so much hate? I've never actively followed the man or his work. When I see people get outraged it's usually over a harmless opinion of his. Is there something else I'm missing?
Kind of said already, but he behaves like a bit of a jerk, especially on Twitter.
Please no Artie Gies talk. I'd rather you talk about anime.
Evangelion's ending - worst or greatest?

TraBuch

Banned
Hey Dan, if you're reading this, what should I get from Taco Bell? I've never been there. I hate beans, tomatoes, and sour cream.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Skyrim Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT65jPiDFiE

That is even more ridiculous looking back on it

I really like Justin McElroy. This is hilarious. I think he'd think so too.

(I don't think Gies is the super villain he's commonly made out to be on here. He's very loudly wrong every now and then, but it seems like his general, I don't know, ethos comes from a fairly well-intentioned, humanist place. Like, yeah, there's some cringe, but he seems fundamentally decent.)

JambiBum

I hope either side does a quicklook of Frozen Cortex. It's the turn based strategy future sports game that the site had a ten minute trailer of last year. It just now exited early access into full release and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Brashnir

I hope either side does a quicklook of Frozen Cortex. It's the turn based strategy future sports game that the site had a ten minute trailer of last year. It just now exited early access into full release and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Turn Based sports? So is it like Blood Bowl?

Zaph

Frozen Synapse was awesome but tough as hell. Wonder if they'll tone this one down a bit?

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
Hey Dan, if you're reading this, what should I get from Taco Bell? I've never been there. I hate beans, tomatoes, and sour cream.

I hate tomatoes and I've never tried sour cream. Get a chicken quesadilla with fire sauce, the new Steak Stack thingy, a chili cheese burrito, a Mexican pizza (no tomatoes), a beefy cheddar crunchwrap slider, the triple layer nachos, or any combination of those.

JambiBum

Frozen Synapse was awesome but tough as hell. Wonder if they'll tone this one down a bit?

I've been playing it quite a bit just today and while the AI is difficult it isn't impossible. The game has a bunch of options you can choose from. There's a sudden death arena ladder, season, and leagues for just single player. Multi you can do standard VS, custom ruleset VS, and there are leagues you can join. Plus there are a lot of options for customizing your teams. My only real negative about it is that the announcers aren't voiced. There are three of them that talk to each other through text boxes. They're funny but I think if they were voiced it would be better. Though that would make it more difficult to include the players' names in the dialogue.

Myggen

I need to stop reading comments on videos like this one over at Gamespot. Mentioning that skimpy armor for female characters is something that should maybe not be a thing is enough to send a lot of people into a raging rant, I guess.

TraBuch

Banned
I hate tomatoes and I've never tried sour cream. Get a chicken quesadilla with fire sauce, the new Steak Stack thingy, a chili cheese burrito, a Mexican pizza (no tomatoes), a beefy cheddar crunchwrap slider, the triple layer nachos, or any combination of those.
Hm. The steak stack and beefy cheddar crunch wrap sound like they'd be right up my alley. Hell, might just order all of it and see what I really like for future reference. Thanks.

Myggen

This guy was actually on Idle Thumbs a couple of weeks ago. I enjoy the thumbs, but never before have I reflexively swiped to delete a podcast merely at the sound of a voice.

Justin McElroy has also been on every GB E3 Panel, I think. I really like that guy, but get why he might be polarizing.

I do. Well, tomato sauce is fine, but eating sliced or whole tomatoes...no.

I HATE raw tomatoes. cook them or make a sauce out of them, please.

re: Evangelion - I mean the only valid answer is that the ending is both the worst and the best. it's terrible but it's kind of amazing? and they tried to fix it but the fixes also introduce problems?

I guess growing up playing X-COM kind of broke me because turn-based tactics games are one of the only game types that I'm actually pretty good at

Myggen

Any idea if there is information on the crew's current PC specs? Doing a full build and was curious what Jeff and Brad have.

Aside from Jeff buying a 980 recently, I don't think we know anything about that. Dan recently bought a pretty powerful machine though.

Seventy70

I really wish Jeff Green would join GBEast, but that's probably not going to happen. He would be a perfect fit and Vinny + Jeff Green would be great. He already does Dark Souls streaming and people really enjoy that.

Only problem would be getting the Jeffs mixed up.

Any idea if there is information on the crew's current PC specs? Doing a full build and was curious what Jeff and Brad have.

Jeff and Dan have GTX 980's and I believe Brad has a GTX 670 (Either he has it or that's what their office QL PC has, can't remember which.) Not sure what CPU's or other parts they have though.

Brashnir

I really wish Jeff Green would join GBEast, but that's probably not going to happen. He would be a perfect fit and Vinny + Jeff Green would be great. He already does Dark Souls streaming and people really enjoy that.

Only problem would be getting the Jeffs mixed up.

Jeff Green lives in GBWest land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom