• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtar86

Did GB ever have that? Or am I forgetting something here. I just don't think there's enough interesting stuff happening in the industry to justify that unless E3 or something similar is happening.
Scoops and the wolf. I guess that was only two days a week though and not daily.

hamchan

So I've been listening to that Adventure Zone D&D podcast and it's fantastic. Speaking as someone who has no experience with D&D, it's amazing how much more enjoyable a game of D&D is with a good DM, and Griffin McElroy is a DAMN good one. Absolutely hilarious. I especially love all the voices he does for the different characters. Thanks to the people that recommended it to me a few days ago.

"He sounds like Kelsey Grammar, and he looks like Common. He is one hell of a goblin."

Me too. It's great. I'm happy that GB did D&D now, since it led to me trying Adventure Zone. Yeemick, Klarg and Black Spider are freaking hilarious characters. I was dying of laughter in the mushroom section too.

The THAC guys (famous for Marble Hornets) have a great DnD video series called We're on a Quest. The key is the DM, Noah, who has his shit together and does a lot of good voices and character work while keeping the game flowing nicely.
Weird. I randomly started watching Marble Hornets for the first time last night. Are they still doing amateur horror stuff?

sueil

Turn's out Rorie wasn't on UPF because Drew was practicing his CQC and broke both Rorie's legs. HR isn't going to be happy.

Jintor

Me too. It's great. I'm happy that GB did D&D now, since it led to me trying Adventure Zone. Yeemick, Klarg and Black Spider are freaking hilarious characters. I was dying of laughter in the mushroom section too.

Not sure if you're up to it yet but I was really into the bard they ran into in the elevator. What a guy.

Myggen

Scoops and the wolf. I guess that was only two days a week though and not daily.

Oh, right. Two days a week is alright, but even then they struggled finding enough news from time to time.

That said, I've enjoyed the parts of the Kinda Funny GDC stream I've sees.

TraBuch

Banned
Not through the entire thing yet, but I think Magic Brian
AKA the Black Spider
is my favorite character so far.

jtar86

Oh, right. Two days a week is alright, but even then they struggled finding enough news from time to time.

That said, I've enjoyed the parts of the Kinda Funny GDC stream I've sees.
Yeah I think the reason I works so well for Colin and Greg is because they talk about games and just random stuff thats interesting. Plus those guys could talk about anything for hours.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is there a big difference quality wise between "High" and "HD"? I never really thought about it, but I suddenly have a limited download volume and since I mainly play on my PC (where everything is digital) I need to economize. I would guess for games like The Escapists it doesn't really matter, right?

Stupid new dorm :/

Jothel

Is there a big difference quality wise between "High" and "HD"? I never really thought about it, but I suddenly have a limited download volume and since I mainly play on my PC (where everything is digital) I need to economize. I would guess for games like The Escapists it doesn't really matter, right?

Stupid new dorm :/
Just go on high and don't full screen I guess, 'swhat I used to do

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Just go on high and don't full screen I guess, 'swhat I used to do

Hmmm...I guess that's okay I usually don't watch fullscreen anway.
It's a strange way of life I have to live now. I download every video I watch in case I want to rewatch it later. Spent an hour yesterday to figure out a way to download Youtube videos without clicking on them (essentially downloading them twice) and ended up installing Pale Moon.

My life is now measured in MB.

Drew is fucked in this game since you can't spam rations which is his main thing. Life Med is way more rare.

Mhm. At the same time he's been a bit more cautious...kinda....yeah he's fucked.

Still, he did some great stuff this episode that I didn't expect him to do. He definitely seems to be getting the hang of the controls now!

jgminto

Oh dear, Drew missed the thermal goggles the second time (they were in the locker in Sokolov's room). They're easily the best equipment in the game, make the majority of the boss battles easier and are the best way to track soldiers in the jungle.

Oh dear, Drew missed the thermal goggles the second time (they were in the locker in Sokolov's room). They're easily the best equipment in the game, make the majority of the boss battles easier and are the best way to track soldiers in the jungle.

Shhh. This will only make The End that much better. DAN DON'T TELL HIM.

Noaloha

So I've been listening to that Adventure Zone D&D podcast and it's fantastic. Speaking as someone who has no experience with D&D, it's amazing how much more enjoyable a game of D&D is with a good DM, and Griffin McElroy is a DAMN good one. Absolutely hilarious. I especially love all the voices he does for the different characters. Thanks to the people that recommended it to me a few days ago.

"He sounds like Kelsey Grammar, and he looks like Common. He is one hell of a goblin."
You're absolutely right about the DM being key. Being able to take the players' ideas and immediately go along with it is so important to maintaining the flow. Strips out all of the rules-heavy baggage of the game, hides it behind the DM's screen and leaves the players to get on with Doing Cool Shit. The players don't need to know the rules even, they just explain what they want to do and a good DM will, improvising as necessary and without skipping a beat, tell them what to roll.

Once you're done with TAZ (or rather, caught up and are left with the rest of us, waiting for the latest episode) you might want to try the Acquisitions Incorporated series; it's Mike and Jerry from Penny Arcade with Scott Kurtz from PVP as players (Mike's never played), being DMed by Chris Perkins, the once lead designer on D&D. Suffice to say, the guy's a good DM who knows his shit. There's a brief session early on where another DM steps in and it's fascinating to see how this other guy's differing DM style clashes with the group. Where Perkins is a "I want you all to have fun" DM, the brief stand-in is a "I want to make you guys bleed" DM.

The audio quality of the podcast starts off rough, being just a phone on the table, with little if any editing. I don't think any of the crew involved expected it to run for eight seasons or feature as a prominent main stage PAX event. I think it was initially just a single one-off promo podcast for D&D 4th Edition. Comedy-wise, it never reaches the heights of TAZ, and I'm not sure anything will, the McElroys' chemistry and comedic improv talent is too strong, but the Acquisitions stuff certainly has plenty of funny moments. The live shows from PAX are a unique spectacle for sure.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
"This isn't america"

confirmation that the boss really is channeling bowie

AngryMoth

I am currently watching Patrick fighting fools idol. He has his serious face on, I am
eagerly anticipating the salt when she revives :D.
edit: didn't quite go as I expected

kiyomi

I love Dan, but he really needs to shut up and let Drew play the way he wants.

Pretty much. It's gotten Drew into bad habits of just relying on Dan to do most of the thought for him. Plus Dan just likes to kill or shoot everything and everyone, which is a playstyle for losers.

sjack

Banned
Pretty much. It's gotten Drew into bad habits of just relying on Dan to do most of the thought for him. Plus Dan just likes to kill or shoot everything and everyone, which is a playstyle for losers.

I can't wait for him to explain Drew how much he's fucked him when they get to the sorrow

I don't see how that's possible, considering Dan's a cool guy doing cool guy things.

kiyomi

On the High/HD thing, I always find HD to look super nice for their studio stuff, but when watching recorded gameplay I don't notice too much difference. Guess that's a compression/capture thing. Usually just go HD for the "best experience possible"

I can't wait for him to explain Drew how much he's fucked him when they get to the sorrow

I haven't finished this game yet so I don't know what that means. Drew is actually catching up to me so I should go and finish it

NumberThree said:
I don't see how that's possible, considering Dan's a cool guy doing cool guy things.

He's so cool I can't even recognise his coolguyness

Aerobatics

Neo Member
"see he said "oh you're pretty good" and he says that all the time in the series so it's like he learns it from big boss cool little callback"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom