• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows that slowly creeping past guards without them knowing you were ever there is the only cool guy playstyle for cool guys.

The way God intended.

sjack

Banned
"This isn't america"

confirmation that the boss really is channeling bowie

2707608-1098072513-5KcmM.jpg

Why did my membership have to lapse as soon as MGS came back?! Now I'll have to wait a couple weeks to catch up. Hopefully I'll have more than one episode to catch up on.

Jintor

Dunno, it wad pretty straightforward to me and it ties in well with the alternate history angle the game is going for

What I mainly mean is that they repeat the same thing like four times and talk excruciatingly slowly while stills drift in and out of the screen

I love Dan, but he really needs to shut up and let Drew play the way he wants.
Yeah, I found it a bit frustrating to watch Dan interrupt and ask Drew to do something.
I get it, you want to show him (& us) the funny stuff, but do a post-playthrough run around or Youtube watch like with the MGS2 trailers.

I'd rather just see Drew play and the both of them have fun experiencing it together.

LiK

Yeah, I found it a bit frustrating to watch Dan interrupt and ask Drew to do something.
I get it, you want to show him (& us) the funny stuff, but do a post-playthrough run around or Youtube watch like with the MGS2 trailers.

I'd rather just see Drew play and the both of them have fun experiencing it together.

sounds like Dan is breaking his own rule of not telling Drew what to do until asked.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/5/57577/2707608-1098072513-5KcmM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

oh wow

I actually saw this before but had forgotten about it. I really wouldn't be surprised if any of those were actually intentional.

[quote="Zeouterlimits, post: 154392178"]Yeah, I found it a bit frustrating to watch Dan interrupt and ask Drew to do something.

I'd rather just see Drew play and the both of them have fun experiencing it together.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind him pointing things out now and again. He just needs to dial it back a little, and highlight only the really good/interesting stuff. I'm glad he mentioned the "pretty good" thing because that went over my head when I played it.

Jintor

The same..?

Seriously though, that kinda drove me nuts in the Persona ER, where every crucial bit of information is repeated at least 3 times in case you're an idiot.

Sad thing is that it's probably often required

Especially in Metal Gear where you can write out a plot summary and still get lost

Still there's no excuse for SNEAKING MISSION SNEAKING MISSION STEALTH MISSION DON'T GET SPOTTED ON THIS SNEAKING MISSION SNAKE

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The same..?

Seriously though, that kinda drove me nuts in the Persona ER, where every crucial bit of information is repeated at least 3 times in case you're an idiot.

That was my experience with devil survivor ds. Conversations were already an annoyance to tap through, but then add to that a lot of unnecessary explanation and retreading of very simple information.

The irony about them constantly restating the premise of the mission and summarizing the game's events over and over again is that when some real narrative bombs drop later on they just kinda spit them out once and hope you were paying attention because that's that.

kiyomi

"weapons are OSP"
"so i'll have to find my own equipment"
"thats right snake"

>5 minutes later

"i'm supposed to survive without equipment?! what kind of a mission is this"
"snake its a sneaking mission"

sjack

Banned

If there's one thing that I like about the Bombcrew that's lacking in Dan is their restraint and "less is more" approach to their commentary and humour with their content. Dan really suffers from "captain obvious" syndrome and inability to dial it down. Even Vinny is subtle compared to Dan.

LiK

the weird thing about these repeated lines is that when i'm playing the game, I don't really notice them. not sure why.

Jintor

Eva/Ocelot fight club was way cooler than I remembered

Yeah I'm gonna have to really agree with everyone... Dan, you gotta get better at remembering when to just let Drew explore...

Patryn

The same..?

Are you talking same scene or later on?

I suspect games repeat things often because they have no idea how people are experiencing them.

For movies, you can assume that people are watching straight through. For TV, you assume that people are watching at least a full episode straight through, but have no knowledge about how far apart they watch episodes.

For games, depending on the saving structure, they have no idea how a player will break things up. For one player, two scenes may only be five minutes apart. For another player, maybe they save after one scene and only pick the game back up a month later.

I suspect that's why games do a lot of plot reinforcement.

Jintor

Well, Drew plays like two hours once every week or two, so he actually does forget some things. Like the woman in the helicopter at the end of the virtuous mission, he completely forgot about her.

sjack

Banned
Well, Drew plays like two hours once every week or two, so he actually does forget some things. Like the woman in the helicopter at the end of the virtuous mission, he completely forgot about her.

Nah, he just can't put two and two together because of her disguie

Gah, I seriously just played Snake Eater HD a few months ago, and Metal Gear Scanlon is making me want to play it again!

It might be the most perfect game.

Wait guys there's life medicine in MGS3?

like you can take something to restore your health?

everything has changed.

edit: oh my god the throwing snakes thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom