• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was that moment where Brad was checking his phone, Rorie did that "Can I try?" thing that we all did as kids, and then Brad said no. Poor Rorie.

Brad keeps talking about parkour in Dying Light. Does it actually have something resembling a parkour system or just climbing up walls that Brad keeps doing?

Myggen

Brad keeps talking about parkour in Dying Light. Does it actually have something resembling a parkour system or just climbing up walls that Brad keeps doing?

It's basically scaling walls and such from what I've seen. Even though it's probably not "parkour" in the same way as in say Mirror's Edge, it's an okay term to use when describing the faster and more vertical movement in that game.

It's basically scaling walls and such from what I've seen. Even though it's probably not "parkour" in the same way as in say Mirror's Edge, it's an okay term to use when describing the faster and more vertical movement in that game.

I don't know, personally I'd be really disappointed if someone described a game as having a parkour system and it didn't have stuff like sliding/rolling under low obstacles or wall running/jumping.

Rorie's inability to pay attention to just one thing is also what makes him so funny in videos.

And the fact that he managed to mess up every single reference he makes, even if it's mean to be informative rather than humorous. It kind of reminds me of Senor Cardgage from Homestar Runner, where what he says is an incomprehensible combination of multiple things.

inky

Naw. Rorie was mentally absent while Brad did his usual "talk about all this stuff but show none of it" routine.

Yea, it wasn't great. I almost closed it when Brad (almost) refused to craft a weapon because he was saving materials for his personal play-through. Or at least it seemed to me that was the reason, which is a puzzling decision when you are videogame site showing the game to your audience. Usually I appreciate Brad wanting to keep things tight in-game (like when he wouldn't abandon his horse in RDR unless he could hitch it to a post- which shows a bit of love towards the game and commitment to his playthrough), but that thing of explaining the mechanics while running around in a small circle without actually doing anything makes the video content kind of boring and pointless imo.

That's why I prefer when Brad has played the game for a good chunk of time beforehand so he isn't making those decisions on the spot and actually knows what he wants to show you and gets there.

Rorie is meh. Not a fan.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly i think the funniest thing about the Mario party 3 video was the game constantly shitting on Jeff, it all culminated in the famous 1 1 dice roll. Dan's trolling was also pretty damn good, i wish we could have a video series of Dan taunting Brad while he plays something because that would be cool.

demidar

Honestly i think the funniest thing about the Mario party 3 video was the game constantly shitting on Jeff, it all culminated in the famous 1 1 dice roll. Dan's trolling was also pretty damn good, i wish we could have a video series of Dan taunting Brad while he plays something because that would be cool.

Mario Party 3 can think. And it can feel.

Guys I have a Japan question: When Japanese games use the word "climax" are they aware of the sexual connotations of the word in English or is it just a weird translation thing?

demidar

Guys I have a Japan question: When Japanese games use the word "climax" are they aware of the sexual connotations of the word in English or is it just a weird translation thing?

Probably not. Climax has non-sexy uses as well, and I can't think of a synonym that has the same pizazz as climax.

Except in Bayonetta's case. I'm 99% sure they were aware of it.

so1337

Sounds like you enjoyed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ue7LdaBZOw#t=0m12s
Yea, it wasn't great. I almost closed it when Brad (almost) refused to craft a weapon because he was saving materials for his personal play-through. Or at least it seemed to me that was the reason, which is a puzzling decision when you are videogame site showing the game to your audience. Usually I appreciate Brad wanting to keep things tight in-game (like when he wouldn't abandon his horse in RDR unless he could hitch it to a post- which shows a bit of love towards the game and commitment to his playthrough), but that thing of explaining the mechanics while running around in a small circle without actually doing anything makes the video content kind of boring and pointless imo.

That's why I prefer when Brad has played the game for a good chunk of time beforehand so he isn't making those decisions on the spot and actually knows what he wants to show you and gets there.

Rorie is meh. Not a fan.
YES! Exactly! Stop doing that, Brad.
Rorie's inability to pay attention to just one thing is also what makes him so funny in videos.
I like Rorie but Brad needs someone to remind him to fucking play the game (like Jeff).
Rorie is audience surrogate, bless his soul.
Rorie is too busy thinking about how much he hates macs.

Probably not. Climax has non-sexy uses as well, and I can't think of a synonym that has the same pizazz as climax.

Except in Bayonetta's case. I'm 99% sure they were aware of it.

Especially in fiction. It's usually a build up to action or conflict. Everything (suspense, tension, etc.) ramps up until that moment. It's often known as the turning point in a story. Some movies have multiple climaxes. For example, in The Empire Strikes Back, the big battle scene happens at the beginning of the moment following a very quick build-up of. Though the true climatic scene of the movie is the show down between Luke and Vader in which the audience (in 1980 at least) is left stunned.

Why do I have a bunch of non-staffer GB profiles automatically followed on my GB account? I had this account for years but just noticed this.

strafer

dat Premium content

p2k5Mad.png

Especially in fiction. It's usually a build up to action or conflict. Everything (suspense, tension, etc.) ramps up until that moment. It's often known as the turning point in a story. Some movies have multiple climaxes. For example, in The Empire Strikes Back, the big battle scene happens at the beginning of the moment following a very quick build-up of. Though the true climatic scene of the movie is the show down between Luke and Vader in which the audience (in 1980 at least) is left stunned.
Oh sure, there are plenty of non-sexual contexts to use the word, but it seems like when Japan uses it with games there tends to be sexy anime ladies involved (Dengeki Bunko being the thing that got me wondering)

so UPF has to open with Paul sitting in the host chair right

I don't know if he smokes cigars, but it feels like he probably should be doing that. "Welcome to a bunch of grown men playing video games on a Friday night. We're going to sit here, drink beer, and wonder where our lives went wrong."

Fjordson

I don't know if he smokes cigars, but it feels like he probably should be doing that. "Welcome to a bunch of grown men playing video games on a Friday night. We're going to sit here, drink beer, and wonder where our lives went wrong."
"Time to watch a bunch of idiots play some stupid stuff".

Liamc723

Not sure if this is too much of a personal question or not, but do we know if Dan is close to his mum, or something happened there?

Because I don't think I've ever heard Dan mention her once.

Not sure if this is too much of a personal question or not, but do we know if Dan is close to his mum, or something happened there?

Because I don't think I've ever heard Dan mention her once.

He's talked about her a few times, but I think he's closer to his dad. He mentioned that his mom drank with Swery at a bar. Having divorced parents is always a bit awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom