• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Unpopular opinion time: I will be happy when Metal Gear Scanlon is over, just so this thread will no longer be 50 percent discussion of Metal Gear.

Crazy Admission Time: I have only seen half an episode of the series. It's not something that really has interested me.

Unpopular opinion time: I will be happy when Metal Gear Scanlon is over, just so this thread will no longer be 50 percent discussion of Metal Gear.

Crazy Admission Time: I have only seen half an episode of the series. It's not something that really has interested me.

Watch it. You will understand why it's hot.

I was listening to some old podcasts around the time Vinny was leaving. It was interesting to hear him talk about how he was hoping that he and Alex would have time to do more projects, longer term projects and such. Right now all they're doing seems to be Unfinished with a few exceptions; I wonder if something is in the works.

To be honest, I think they need to get a third person at GBE, because hearing the same duo over and over is a little boring.

No worries, some good questions.

I'll speak to my role, since, you know... it's mine. I'm head of video for Giant Bomb. Where Jeff is head of editorial, I'm head of video. We both report into the same boss. That means for my part in CBS Interactive, I'm responsible for all our video production. That's costs, technology, archiving, how we're spending man hours, etc. Luckily, I have fantastic producers like Drew and Jason that make my job a lot easier. Being in content is not actually my main responsibility. Making sure there is video content on the site is. I think that's important to remember.

What is my week like? Currently, a lot of it is navigating this studio build and laying the foundation for more content here. Currently we have a lot of issues, from actual studio space, budget, and getting network access. All of these things need solutions. From putting holes in a wall to asking IT to allow access to Xbox Live, everything requires meetings and time. We're still working on getting air conditioning in the studio. The lights went up yesterday.

So Monday, I come in and go through data and emails. If I can I'll usually start playing a game to QL I will. Let's take an actual week. So I'm playing Castle in the Darkness prepping for a QL. Then I jump into Lisa. At about 1:30 there's a meeting with my boss to go over video and whatnot. At 2:00 there's a meeting with Drew and Jason to go over the week in production. I'll play some more to prep. That week happened to be the week our quarterly budget was due, so I probably spent more time working on that.

Tuesday we recorded Castle in the Darkness, Grow Home, and Lisa. Had a meeting from 4-5, probably did more studio crap after that.

Wednesday start prepping Supreme and Darkness Assault. Spent a long time trying to find where Darkness Assault saves, I remember that. Couldn't find it so I had to replay some stuff in the studio. Had a Wednesday meeting 1-2pm. Then I meet with Drew every Wednesday to see how he's doing over there. Not sure where the rest of the day went, but making those quarterly budgets eat up a lot of time.

Thursday we recorded Supreme, there's a weekly meeting with the whole team, and I think I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out why the colorspace on our videos was mismatching. I think I also tried to rig a better baffling solution that week in the studio. Got a new capture device as well. Figure out why one of our capture machines wouldn't record 4 channels of audio (kind of...).

Friday we recorded Darkness Assault and Sunless Sea. Did some other stuff. Can't remember, I actually have to run. Giant Bomb East is not an island. So let me move on.

If corporate is concerned with where their money is spent, I have never heard it. Actually, you're maybe the first person to question my work ethic in my 15 years of doing this. Not offended by it. I can see how a lot of what happens doesn't make it to the public.

We don't have the money to hire someone else to build the studio. That's the short answer and actual one. Who is going to build it? Same reason we don't have someone else to record and post the videos. Or clean the studio. Or fix the 135 problems we run into a day that go into doing content. Everything costs money and we need to stay profitable.

Ok, really have to run! Hopefully, this answers some of your questions! If not, let me know. Happy to share.

--Vinny

Things are happening, It is just a matter of when

Megasoum

Banned

You should have seen the Canadian Deals thread before they split off the Amibo discussion...ugh

They're not gonna Metal Gear Scanlon MGS5, are they?

They don't tend to do ERs/Let's Plays of current games so i don't see them touching MGSV outside of a QL.

Maybe in a few years, when it's not a new game and they wouldn't be impacting sales in a negative way then perhaps we could see it happen.

Zaph

Silver lining time: It still beats the constant anime gifs during the other 50 percent.

I hope they do Peace Walker so that I can no longer feel the need to play it.

i hope they don't. the best thing about it is the mother base stuff and that's not the most exciting thing to watch. Plus, just listen to the tapes in the main menu for Ground Zeroes, it pretty much covers anything you need to know from PW.

PW is metal gear lite with bullet sponge bosses that take for fucking ever to kill because they're designed to be taken down by 4 people at once. Oh, and the story is shitty shitty shitty anime shitty, even for a MGS game.

- J - D -

i hope they don't. the best thing about it is the mother base stuff and that's not the most exciting thing to watch. Plus, just listen to the tapes in the main menu for Ground Zeroes, it pretty much covers anything you need to know from PW.

PW is metal gear lite with bullet sponge bosses that take for fucking ever to kill because they're designed to be taken down by 4 people at once. Oh, and the story is shitty shitty shitty anime shitty, even for a MGS game.

This was what I've heard most of this game, and it's why I've avoided it for so long. That and I haven't had a PSP for a while now.

But at least if Dan/Drew did a Peace Walker series, then we'd at least get Dan/Drew to laugh over it.

Zebetite

Banned
They don't tend to do ERs/Let's Plays of current games so i don't see them touching MGSV outside of a QL.

Maybe in a few years, when it's not a new game and they wouldn't be impacting sales in a negative way then perhaps we could see it happen.

My gut tells me that as soon as Drew has done his time with the older Metal Gears, he'll be getting around to playing MGS5 in his own time rather than waiting around for a couple of years so he can do a video of it. It goes without saying Dan will have finished that game within a week of its release.

My gut tells me that as soon as Drew has done his time with the older Metal Gears, he'll be getting around to playing MGS5 in his own time rather than waiting around for a couple of years so he can do a video of it. It goes without saying Dan will have finished that game within a week of its release.
Yeah, I wonder how they'll handle the review for it, assuming they do review it.
Silver lining time: It still beats the constant anime gifs during the other 50 percent.
Such remarks cannot go unpunished.

JFH5rtK.gif

Myggen

Jeff said a long while ago that they wouldn't do playthroughs of newish games anymore, so no chance of MGSV.

Yeah, I wonder how they'll handle the review for it, assuming they do review it.

Dan will review it, and he will give it 5 stars.

mattp

I was listening to some old podcasts around the time Vinny was leaving. It was interesting to hear him talk about how he was hoping that he and Alex would have time to do more projects, longer term projects and such. Right now all they're doing seems to be Unfinished with a few exceptions; I wonder if something is in the works.

To be honest, I think they need to get a third person at GBE, because hearing the same duo over and over is a little boring.

their studio isn't even finished yet
give them a chance

Dan sees a barrel:
OH MY GOD PLEASE PUSH THAT BARREL YES, THAT BARREL
Drew pushes the barrel, chuckles slightly. Dan:
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCKKKKK YOU HAHAHA THAT WAS THE COOLEST SHIT EVER HAHAHAHA THAT WAS SO FUCKING COOL HAHAHAHAHA WHEEEWW THAT WAS REALLY COOL HAHAHAHA MAN I CANT BELIEVE HOW COOL THAT WAS

Dan sees a barrel:
OH MY GOD PLEASE PUSH THAT BARREL YES, THAT BARREL
Drew pushes the barrel, chuckles slightly. Dan:
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCKKKKK YOU HAHAHA THAT WAS THE COOLEST SHIT EVER HAHAHAHA THAT WAS SO FUCKING COOL HAHAHAHAHA WHEEEWW THAT WAS REALLY COOL HAHAHAHA MAN I CANT BELIEVE HOW COOL THAT WAS

Lol that pretty much sums up the last episode.

Myggen

Oh nice, another MGScanlon tomorrow! There really should be a way to view the schedule on mobile, I feel left in the dark without a PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom