• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Wait. Don't you get those secret frequencies by reading some of them off objects in the environment throughout the game? I remember calling one off a door in the lab I think.

Kelas

Alright, now I see why the game tells you a ridiculous amount of times that this is a sneaking mission and it might be a good idea to consider sneaking.

Edit: This is like the area of the game where it punishes you for not playing it in said sneaky fashion. At this point he should have more than a dozen animals (easy to find by pinging with the radar, though the several day gaps in play kinda negate collecting them ahead of time), and be crouching/crawling his way past enemies (also detectable with radar), or into positions to take them out silently. A seeming lack of situational awareness is not helping him either. He really doesn't survey areas all that well, nor practice caution when moving out of cover. These are observations not complaints.

Edit: Alright that was just a rough patch, but he would find the two radars really helpful. Like, why not use them.

Wunder

Alright, now I see why the game tells you a ridiculous amount of times that this is a sneaking mission and it might be a good idea to consider sneaking.

Edit: This is like the area of the game where it punishes you for not playing it in said sneaky fashion. At this point he should have more than a dozen animals (easy to find by pinging with the radar, though the several day gaps in play kinda negate collecting them ahead of time), and be crouching/crawling his way past enemies (also detectable with radar), or into positions to take them out silently. A seeming lack of situational awareness is not helping him either. He really doesn't survey areas all that well, nor practice caution when moving out of cover. These are observations not complaints.

I always found stuff like that to be really difficult and one of the main reasons I dislike 'hardcore' stealth games that make it so you almost instantly fail if you are caught. It raises the tension so high that I am paralyzed and am unsure of exactly what to do. The patrol patterns and vision cone stuff can get really confusing too and pretty frustrating, so I don't mind that Drew at least tried to stealth around and then eventually gave up and started blasting

jgminto

Wait. Don't you get those secret frequencies by reading some of them off objects in the environment throughout the game? I remember calling one off a door in the lab I think.
I think you might get some if you interrogate guards, though that might just be the ones that shut off alerts.

what game did they finally introduce crouch walking in? PW?
4 was the first (and only before V) where you can both crouch walk and crawl. PW had crouch walking but you can't crawl.

Kelas

I always found stuff like that to be really difficult and one of the main reasons I dislike 'hardcore' stealth games that make it so you almost instantly fail if you are caught. It raises the tension so high that I am paralyzed and am unsure of exactly what to do. The patrol patterns and vision cone stuff can get really confusing too and pretty frustrating, so I don't mind that Drew at least tried to stealth around and then eventually gave up and started blasting

It's not quite like that in mgs3 though. Staying hidden is relatively simple, and getting caught isn't the end of the world. I'm not suggesting someone sneak past every guard, especially in areas where patrols overlap and you could easily get caught out. I'm suggesting an alternative to setting off an alert in every area/encounter. Stay hidden and pop dudes in the head.

I think you might get some if you interrogate guards, though that might just be the ones that shut off alerts.

Oh that's it. Yeah, I was interrogating dudes to get access to a door, and instead got a frequency for healing.

This is the greatest video series of all time

also I will be putting the emcee don't be a jerk post back in the next OT. I feel like it is needed again.

No need to call people fucking idiots.

Haunted

Helldivers is by the Magicka people? That kinda makes it more disappointing.

Not sure how friendly fire and a higher difficulty increase the fun factor for this one. As Brad said, half of the fun of Magicka's cool magic system was experimenting and blowing up your friends - but that only worked because you were not punished for it by expending resources to respawn or having to restart and replay extended stretches of the game.

Some of the design decisions seem to run counter to each other. oh well

Rapstah

Was any part of Magicka except maybe the basic ideas of how the magic system worked designed well at all? I never liked it at all.

Kelas

I found the button configuration made casting spells too complicated, but it otherwise seemed like a cool game. I just couldn't progress very far in it.

I get some of the frustration watching Drew fumble a bit through MGScanlon. This is a game I probably spent like 100+ hours playing so it's a bit like watching someone trying to eat spaghetti right out of the box. You just...want to point out all the things they are doing wrong.

Still I love it. Drew will pick it up eventually. It's also the fact that they're playing it piecemeal on different days and commentating at the same time. His method of defeating Ocelot was certainly very unique hahahaha.

Kelas

Alright I'm subscribing to altf1 for this season. If mercedes just win everything again I'll probably lose interest for another year.

I never understand why people get mad at watching people play games. You watch people play games to enjoy their experience with the game. With blind playthroughs there can be both good or bad moments.

I never understand why people get mad at watching people play games. You watch people play games to enjoy their experience with the game. With blind playthroughs there can be both good or bad moments.

NO YOU SEE THEY HAVE TO DO IT MY WAY

THEY'RE DOING IT WRONG

GRRRRRRR

Juss kidding. This episode was pretty great.
Drew beating Ocelot with grenades. Then getting tricked into fighting the Pain.

And then there's the comedy of errors with the damned electric fences. The 'I'm going to do this properly' and instant alert. Destroying the food shack and snakes stomach rumbling on queue. That dick stab.

It had alot of golden moments.

danm999

I never understand why people get mad at watching people play games.

It's a loose principle, but basically this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCU3K6l95Xw

Some people who are better/more experienced at something than other people have absolutely zero empathy or patience when engaging with people who aren't at their skill level.

They might even forget most of us got to learn our way around games and experience them without cameras pointed at us scrutinising the fuck out of everything.

With all this killing I can't wait to see that part especially because I've never seen that part like that

I've been through...a long one of those. It was ruthless. And boy..from some of Drews responses to Dans questions near the end, it seems that....the End might be the End of Drew.(Backtracking if he fails, having to traverse a few areas in order to fight the End, not being able to 'rush' through him.)

Unless of course next episode...he ends the End.

Some people who are better/more experienced at something than other people have absolutely zero empathy or patience when engaging with people who aren't at their skill level.

They might even forget most of us got to learn our way around games and experience them without cameras pointed at us scrutinising the fuck out of everything.

I don't know about zero empathy or patience...for me at least it's akin to the frustration of watching your kid fuck up something that you know like the back of your hand and wanting desperately to just tell them what to do. It's like the urge Dan feels to say stuff that he vocalizes through exasperated groans and grunts.

There were several times in the beginning of this episode where Drew was running around with low or zero stamina that I wanted to tell him to eat something like I'm his mom.

AngryMoth

Lots of hilarious moments throughout the latest MGS video, although I do get the feeling Drew isn't really enjoying it very much which makes it a little uncomfortable at times.

Scizzy

Man, I must be terrible at MGS games because everyone here is talking about how bad Drew is at them . . . and he's way better than me.

Drew's always had issues understanding that many of the moves in the MGS games are movement specific, like grabbing an enemy from behind and going straight from standing to prone.

To use automobile terms (since the duder loves F1), snake works in gears. he's assuming that all moves in MGS are automatic when it really is a manual tranmish, yo.

Kelas

So klepek didn't secure the rights to dumptruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom