• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scizzy

I've really become to dislike Dan and any quicklook or vid he's in. Do any of you think Jeff feels the same way? He always sounds annoyed when he's doing something with Dan.

Not that I wish upon Dan to lose his job but I don't feel like he fits in with the rest.

I heard that the tension between Jeff and Dan is getting so bad that Rorie will probably fire Jeff soon and promote Alexis into his place.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
As a fan of Alien I definitely agree with that OP. Sorry, and I love Dan.

I'm kinda with OP on that one, the last thing Alien Isolation needed was some hand holding.

i can't say i disagree with the overall message of that thread, though -- AAA games are way too handhold-y these day

I just thought it was funny that a GB Quick Look was apparently the reason to make that thread, I atleast sympathize with the OP.

inky

I've really become to dislike Dan and any quicklook or vid he's in.

Dan is the reason I hardly visit the site or this thread anymore. Really can't stand him. I even skip segments of the bombcast if he is saying something stupid or brings up wrestling. And that was my favorite content.
Most of all I miss Ryan as well =(

The "look how dumb I am" act bothers me a lot. I know a guy like that irl, and it's pretty much just so people never expect anything from him and never ask him to do anything, and not that he's really dumb at all. And it sucks because he can be an enthusiastic guy about some subjects, which could be a nice contrast to Jeff's (hilarious) cynicism.

As for your second point, I have no opinion about that, so that's why I cut it from the quote.

Dan can be hit or miss for me but he's bringing some high energy that I think GB has needed. They need someone to be way to excited and that's Dan's middle name.

Dan and the rest of the crew essentially had the same opinion about BoI: Rebirth. They hated it because it didn't hold your hand and tell you what the items did.

edit: also dan's great, you're all insane.

MGS4 only utilized it's improvements for two short chapters in the beginning. After that it's basically cutscenes.

MGS3 is more methodical and rewarding game with perfect pacing and incredible gameplay depth. It may require more patience and tolerance for complex and dated control schemes but MGS4 didn't even manage to get close to it.

I'd rather follow that dude around Eastern Europe than use a lot of the dumb systems in MGS3. It's not really deep, it's just obnoxious as Drew said, of course he says that a lot about MGS. It's my favourite game series but I could just never get behind Snake Eater. Hating the jungle setting doesn't help either.

I'd rather follow that dude around Eastern Europe than use a lot of the dumb systems in MGS3. It's not really deep, it's just obnoxious as Drew said, of course he says that a lot about MGS. It's my favourite game series but I could just never get behind Snake Eater. Hating the jungle setting doesn't help either.

The only time I felt frustrated with the heal system in MGS3 was when I would have to heal myself every time I started
the first volgin fight over again.
It never really felt too obtrusive or obnoxious to me.

I was frustrated with the controls at first as well, but honestly, after playing a bit of MGS4, I'd rather use MGS3 controls that have to aim with an analog stick deadzone the size of the fucking sun like you do in MGS4.

Edit: Going from silky smooth (except from when Volgin or the Fury are on screen) 60 FPS MGS3 HD to choppy "you might get 60 FPS in some interiors and 20 elsewhere" MGS4 kind of sucked, too.

Edit 2: I just started watching Part 3 and Dan's making Drew go back for the thermals! I beat the game without 'em and Drew can too!

Myggen

Dan and the rest of the crew essentially had the same opinion about BoI: Rebirth. They hated it because it didn't hold your hand and tell you what the items did.

edit: also dan's great, you're all insane.

The vast majority of this thread agrees with your last statement.

Also, is it true that they all hated BoI because it didn't tell you what the items did? I never got that impression, and neither Jeff nor Brad had any problem with that in the recent Unfininished of that new roguelike

Lelcar

I don't understand this concept of publicly saying that you dislike someone or making fun of someone when said person can read these comments. You're not even talking behind someone's back. You wouldn't yell this stuff out in a mall or at a workplace when the same person can hear you. That seems like bullying to me. I've just never understood this notion of throwing respect and etiquette out the window just because you're posting on a forum instead of talking in real life. I know that Giant Bomb is almost more of a TV channel than a website, but these are real people and not characters that we're commenting on.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just too Canadian.

I don't understand this concept of publicly saying that you dislike someone or making fun of someone when said person can read these comments. You're not even talking behind someone's back. You wouldn't yell this stuff out in a mall or at a workplace when the same person can hear you. That seems like bullying to me. I've just never understood this notion of throwing respect and etiquette out the window just because you're posting on a forum instead of talking in real life. I know that Giant Bomb is almost more of a TV channel than a website, but these are real people and not characters that we're commenting on.
Well said.

Bacon

This made me laugh. Good points though!

mattp

it's more that some people on this forum are, to put it bluntly, socially inept fucking nerds and/or assholes

Alright guys i am going to sit down and try to make this next OT. I might need help with the fancy pictures. I don't have the skills to do that.

I will be looking at Coldmans OT for inspiration.

The vast majority of this thread agrees with your last statement.

Also, is it true that they all hated BoI because it didn't tell you what the items did? I never got that impression, and neither Jeff nor Brad had any problem with that in the recent Unfininished of that new roguelike

This was during GOTY discussion, I can't give you a timestamp or anything unfortunately.

All I remember about Jeff hating it was that he hated the four-direction shooting, but Dan definitely was making the case that he disliked it because the items didn't tell you what they did, and he didn't want to pick something up that ruined his game and made him start over or something. I also remember someone saying something about how there was no progression or unlocks when you picked up items, and Patrick was essentially defending against all of those arguments by saying "Well, yeah, that's the point of the game."

This was during GOTY discussion, I can't give you a timestamp or anything unfortunately.

All I remember about Jeff hating it was that he hated the four-direction shooting, but Dan definitely was making the case that he disliked it because the items didn't tell you what they did, and he didn't want to pick something up that ruined his game and made him start over or something. I also remember someone saying something about how there was no progression or unlocks when you picked up items, and Patrick was essentially defending against all of those arguments by saying "Well, yeah, that's the point of the game."

Yeah, the BoI argument was frustrating. I can empathize with them not debating over a game because they haven't played it, but it's almost more painful to hear them try and debate a game solely because they've played it for a little bit. Especially a game like that.

The only time I felt frustrated with the heal system in MGS3 was when I would have to heal myself every time I started
the first volgin fight over again.
It never really felt too obtrusive or obnoxious to me.

I was frustrated with the controls at first as well, but honestly, after playing a bit of MGS4, I'd rather use MGS3 controls that have to aim with an analog stick deadzone the size of the fucking sun like you do in MGS4.

Edit: Going from silky smooth (except from when Volgin or the Fury are on screen) 60 FPS MGS3 HD to choppy "you might get 60 FPS in some interiors and 20 elsewhere" MGS4 kind of sucked, too.

Edit 2: I just started watching Part 3 and Dan's making Drew go back for the thermals! I beat the game without 'em and Drew can too!
The aiming is another thing I hate about MGS3. The first person stuff isn't accurate and with no laser sight fron MGS2 or the over the shoulder and reticule of MGS4, I really hate it. I mean, I still like the game. It's Metal Gear and I enjoy it enough to get the Foxhound rank twice but seeing Drew get frustrated with the same stuff that I did brings back memories.

Because pretty much all of GB's content is straight personality based. Usually there's some divide between the work of a (semi) public figure and their actual person, but with GB content it's pretty much just "do you find these dudes funny/personable/entertaining" or not. It's a video game website of like 7 people that has a fanbase that's sprawled across GAF, SA, their own forums, hell even /v/ tends like to GB far more than any other game site. Obviously lines can (and do) get crossed, but having discussion threads for their content be nothing but sycophantic, and if you don't like it just leave, I think would serve no purpose.

mattp

"Don't be mean to Dan, he's a real person, you socially inept fucking nerd asshole" ?

i'm not the one saying shitty things about strangers(when i KNOW they are going to see it, no less) because they have different opinions than i do

i'm the one calling people assholes, because they're being assholes

good post. I know I've been guilty of stating opinions that, while not vitriolic or mean, were probably needless in the grand scheme of things. There's really no point in making opinions like that public. They serve no good, and have the potential to hurt someone.

Lelcar

Because pretty much all of GB's content is straight personality based. Usually there's some divide between the work of a (semi) public figure and their actual person, but with GB content it's pretty much just "do you find these dudes funny/personable/entertaining" or not. It's a video game website of like 7 people that has a fanbase that's sprawled across GAF, SA, their own forums, hell even /v/ tends like to GB far more than any other game site. Obviously lines can (and do) get crossed, but having discussion threads for their content be nothing but sycophantic, and if you don't like it just leave, I think would serve no purpose.

I know what GB is, I've been a fan since its inception. There's a big difference between criticizing someone's work and berating someone. Saying Brad is bad at games or disagreeing with opinions is par for the course and is the whole point of discussion in this industry. Saying that you hate someone or that they're terrible or fat is just rude, accelerated by the fact that this forum or social networking isn't a private conversation between friends, it's public. You missed the point.

The aiming is another thing I hate about MGS3. The first person stuff isn't accurate and with no laser sight fron MGS2 or the over the shoulder and reticule of MGS4, I really hate it. I mean, I still like the game. It's Metal Gear and I enjoy it enough to get the Foxhound rank twice but seeing Drew get frustrated with the same stuff that I did brings back memories.

Once I learned that L1 locks onto enemies it got a lot easier if I had to actually shoot people up. First person was fine enough when I had to be accurate when I was sneaking around, so I didn't get too frustrated with it. It also took me forever to unlearn aiming with the right stick, because using the right stick is WAY TOO SLOW.

The thing is, you kind of learn the game's rules as you go along and you accept that those are the rules. It's confusing, but it's consistent. Drew seems to be getting frustrated at the rules of the game.

Like, I notice now that he's hungry and running low on food. I pretty much killed every croc in that swamp and carried them throughout most of the game until you get to the point where it's just throwing instant noodles and rations at you.

I'd buy MH4 in a heartbeat if it was on literally anything but 3DS.

there isn't a platform out there that hurts my eyes and wrists more to use than the 3DS

old people problems

G-Pink

There's ALWAYS a disconnect between someone's work, and them as a person. And there's plenty of ways to approach valid criticisms of someone's work in a constructive, non-personal way. If someone can't find that disconnect between person and content, they are more than able to step back, re-evaluate the content of their criticism, and approach from another, better angle. If they cannot, and must resort to personal attacks or debasing of a person's personality or character, they have no place here.

Myggen

Based on the end of that monster hunter video we're one step closer a recurring monster hunter series.

It seems like a perfect game for Brad if he can get into the combat.

Also, people need to chill the fuck out in this thread right now. This is what happens when I'm away for a couple of days.

ArjanN

I've really become to dislike Dan and any quicklook or vid he's in. Do any of you think Jeff feels the same way? He always sounds annoyed when he's doing something with Dan.

Not that I wish upon Dan to lose his job but I don't feel like he fits in with the rest.

No offense, but that's just you being bad at reading the tone of a conversation.

I find it odd how often people keep thinking people at Giant Bomb have some sort of legit issue with each other when it's all very obviously just playful banter.

Megasoum

Banned
Dave Snider
‏@enemykite
Even though I’m listed on the panel for the Dadcast at PAX this year I have to skip. @nsolis is due with our second kid on March 20.

Dave Snider
‏@enemykite
Sorry I won’t be able to hang with everyone, but this is kind of the best reason to not attend PAX :)

Brashnir

i'm not the one saying shitty things about strangers(when i KNOW they are going to see it, no less) because they have different opinions than i do

i'm the one calling people assholes, because they're being assholes

You are saying shitty things about strangers who you know are going to see it.

Breaking brad demon's souls is maybe my favourite series they've done. A lot of what made it great was brad failing a lot and how he took his losses.

I remember also voicing my opinion of the good and bad things he was doing. It's not like I wanted him to change the way he was playing, it's just part of the fun of following and discussing the series as it unfolded. People need to stop being so defensive.

I think Vinny was a lot cheekier about being a 'guide' to Brad. Sometimes feigning ignorance, sometimes giving genuine tips in the guise of a joke, sometimes outright tricking Brad in to doing dumb things.

Dan forgets way too many things, and over-stresses about other things that he should just outright tell Drew. Dan just needs to relax, help out Drew when he really needs it, and just leave him to his devices. The way Dan 'hints' at 'oh should I tell you...' I think is just stressing Drew out more.

Corgi

Banned
Dave Snider
‏@enemykite
Even though I’m listed on the panel for the Dadcast at PAX this year I have to skip. @nsolis is due with our second kid on March 20.

Dave Snider
‏@enemykite
Sorry I won’t be able to hang with everyone, but this is kind of the best reason to not attend PAX :)

man its been ages since a Tested Dadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom