• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

The BLACKHOLE QL got uploaded early on GS (probably by mistake, like has happened before)

Catch it while you can.

tumblr_nhdhxu7qfN1r2nk7ro1_400.gif
BLACK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE

edit: game looks pretty bad.

- J - D -

It's always been odd to me that Drew has so much trouble grasping the controls of the MGS series (or even remembering the inputs) when he plays flight/combat sims that feature incredibly dense and complicated control schemes.
Now, one might say that the difference between MGS and something like DCS Warthog is that the controls of one function under a logical basis. but at some point, the user is still asked to learn that logic, no matter how unintuitive it may be.

Maybe he just needs notes.

Zocano

MGS1 controls are the worst out of all of them due to the worse aiming.

This is where it gets weird for me because I think MGS1 is the most palatable because it's so simple. I think because there's so little complexity to it (compared to the other games) that I think it's the easiest to handle.

I prefer MGS1 the rest of the series, actually.

Regardless of how unintuitive the controls of the various Metal Gear games are, I still preferred it to the Splinter Cells of the era. That probably means I'm insane.

valeo

It's always been odd to me that Drew has so much trouble grasping the controls of the MGS series (or even remembering the inputs) when he plays flight/combat sims that feature incredibly dense and complicated control schemes.
Now, one might say that the difference between MGS and something like DCS Warthog is that the controls of one function under a logical basis. but at some point, the user is still asked to learn that logic, no matter how unintuitive it may be.

It's because MGS controls are farking stupid.

Visceir

Lack of interest would be my guess. Doubt he would finish the game if they canceled Metal Gear Scanlon tomorrow.

Fjordson

I love Drew and MGS 1-3 controls aren't perfect, but they're not nearly as bad as he makes them look :lol

Also, why does he always unequip the motion detector?? I used that shit constantly.

This is where it gets weird for me because I think MGS1 is the most palatable because it's so simple. I think because there's so little complexity to it (compared to the other games) that I think it's the easiest to handle.

I prefer MGS1 the rest of the series, actually.

I haven't played MGS1 but I get what you mean. It's one of those games that's able to derive complex gameplay out of a very simple base.

Lack of interest would be my guess. Doubt he would finish the game if they canceled Metal Gear Scanlon tomorrow.

Yeah, I get the sense that he doesn't enjoy MGS very much.

Edit: I thought the motion detector was useless in the jungle but when you get into more man-made environments it's super useful.

I was really disappointed he didn't figure out to use his cigar in the caves for light. Granted, I only learned that because I looked at a strategy guide, but still. was hoping he'd stumble on that because it's a neat little trick.

LiK

I think he does enjoy MGS, more so when he's thinking back on it rather than playing it, but I get the sense that Drew doesn't have an interest in many video games outside of the workplace.

Where are you now?

just got to 50. got a long way to go...

CS_Dan

I've been wanting to guys to do more music stuff since that singstar GOTY video. Did Rock Band ever get played on an UPF or TNT?
Wondering how well that would play out on a live show.

Anyone use the android video buddy app? getting a lot of crashes just watching straight out of the browser. Does the app seem pretty stable?
The only time it crashes for me is resuming after casting a video and disconnecting. I assume there's a null reference in the onResume or something.

Lelcar

My manager he said "do you want to build a snowman?" and and I said yeah, the doctor always wants to get some snow, man.

Good line.

I have no basis for this, but I always assumed it was because after playing so many other shooters with standardized controls (at least to an extent) it's probably really hard to handle a game with a very different control scheme. With flight sims there's no really standardized control scheme to have ingrained, so it's easier to pick up because you're not fighting previous instincts.

Anyone use the android video buddy app? getting a lot of crashes just watching straight out of the browser. Does the app seem pretty stable?

Been having some issues with the Video Buddy app on my Nexus 10 lately. Seems like every time I start a video it starts to play in the background while an error pops up and says "Your device may not be capable of playing this file. Please try selecting a lower quality." But as soon as I restart the video it works fine.

One of the guys from 8-4 on this week's Bombcast sounds a lot like John Drake voice-wise. Really enjoying it so far though, I might have to start listening to the 8-4 podcast.

Myggen

One of the guys from 8-4 on this week's Bombcast sounds a lot like John Drake voice-wise. Really enjoying it so far though, I might have to start listening to the 8-4 podcast.

It's a great podcast. 8-4 and the Bombcast are the only two gaming podcasts still in my podcast rotation. The only downside to the podcast is that it's very dependent on Mark (the guy who talked the most of the two guests) being on for me, I rarely enjoy the episodes he's not on as a host nearly as much. But he's on most episodes, so it's all good.

Grumble. Grumble. Grumble. As someone who is way into amusement parks/roller coasters and video games about them, I lament what has happened to Roller Coaster Tycoon since Chris Sawyer stopped working on them. Basically the series has been a let down since the expansion packs for RCT2. Anyone who wants realism, get NoLimits Roller Coaster 2. It's a resource hog, but actually roller coaster designers use and love that series. And with scripting, you can make your own flat-rides or visual effects for you rides (like splashes of water, lights, etc.). You can build a highly detailed theme park that you can walk around in that completely destroys anything RCT is capable of.

http://nolimitscoaster.com/ (Note, you can also buy it on Steam, which has Steam Workshop support so you can download community made roller coasters)
http://nolimitscoaster.de/
http://nolimits-exchange.com/ (the best community site)

Sorry, I get VERY passionate about this stuff. I was excited when the did NL2 on UPF, but then quickly realized it was not going to go well. This is more of a simulation program than a game that times weeks if not months to get used to. I just download the things people make and that is satisfying enough for me (as I have hope at making something good). Oh, apparently it's getting 3D and VR support soon!

I'm really surprised no one has made a good RCT clone yet. There's been plenty for games like Sim City and various other management games. I might just have to get RCT2 off gog.

Yep, I concur with No Limits. Also endorsed by John Wardley, the UK's Miyamoto of ride design.

He's also former stunt-man/coordinator of James Bond movies.

Also:

"If you thought the original NoLimits was good, you will find NoLimits 2 amazing! The ease of creating smooth track layouts, the realism of the simulations, and the ability to add special track- and scenic-elements has taken coaster design to a whole new level. I strongly recommend anyone who enjoys riding and designing roller coasters to try it."
- John Wardley

Brad Shoemaker ‏@bradshoemaker 2m2 minutes ago

Not sure how long I'll end up sticking with it, but I played MH4 straight through that five-hour flight and I never do that with anything.

yes yes yes yes

brad finally using his powers of obsession for good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom