• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

klonere

Banned
Hello friends, just got activated, been lurking in this thread for quite a while, got into the site about November of 2013. The GoTY discussions that year hooked me on the whole thing. I was one of those people who mainly listened to the Bombcast and rarely dabbled in the video side - so I thought Alex was Alexis for all of the GoTY stuff.

I know people like to do a top 5 duder ranking on first post (or I am crazy?) but since I kinda like them all pretty much equally I'll just mention my favorite videos.

1. Velvet Sundown (both videos): The best part about GB is that improv comedy sensibility they all seem to be able to dip into. Giving Vinny charge of a role play sandbox made around 3 and a bit hours of content constantly incredible.

2. Ubisoft E3 Press Conference: WEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD

3. MGScanlon: Specifically the last two episodes of MGS2. I don't know if there is a piece of media that can match the insanity and elict the range of reactions the ending of MGS2 does.

4. Jason's GoTY 2014 video: I'm Jeff Gerstmann and I hate video games.

5. Powerbombcast: The original reason I went premium. I never even followed wrestling as a kid given that getting WWE in Ireland required pretty a expensive satellite subscription. I had the barest recollection of the Rock and Stone Cold through the rough PS1 games. Yet listening to the Pbcast I just had to see for myself. And now I am a complete "smark" as Dan would say. Wrestling is some carny ass shit.

Finally I had an idea for a series that would probably never happen but would be amazing:
Someone should make Dan watch through the original Neon Genesis Evangelion run, just tell him its the anime equivalent of MGS2, weird sexual shit, stock footage and complete disregard for the viewer!

EDIT: Oh yeah Q & A panels suck

Volotaire

Hello friends, just got activated, been lurking in this thread for quite a while, got into the site about November of 2013. The GoTY discussions that year hooked me on the whole thing. I was one of those people who mainly listened to the Bombcast and rarely dabbled in the video side - so I thought Alex was Alexis for all of the GoTY stuff.

I know people like to do a top 5 duder ranking on first post (or I am crazy?) but since I kinda like them all pretty much equally I'll just mention my favorite videos.

1. Velvet Sundown (both videos): The best part about GB is that improv comedy sensibility they all seem to be able to dip into. Giving Vinny charge of a role play sandbox made around 3 and a bit hours of content constantly incredible.

2. Ubisoft E3 Press Conference: WEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD

3. MGScanlon: Specifically the last two episodes of MGS2. I don't know if there is a piece of media that can match the insanity and elict the range of reactions the ending of MGS2 does.

4. Jason's GoTY 2014 video: I'm Jeff Gerstmann and I hate video games.

5. Powerbombcast: The original reason I went premium. I never even followed wrestling as a kid given that getting WWE in Ireland required pretty a expensive satellite subscription. I had the barest recollection of the Rock and Stone Cold through the rough PS1 games. Yet listening to the Pbcast I just had to see for myself. And now I am a complete "smark" as Dan would say. Wrestling is some carny ass shit.

Finally I had an idea for a series that would probably never happen but would be amazing:
Someone should make Dan watch through the original Neon Genesis Evangelion run, just tell him its the anime equivalent of MGS2, weird sexual shit, stock footage and complete disregard for the viewer!

EDIT: Oh yeah Q & A panels suck

Welcome! Some great choices.

Mandatory Question: Who is your favourite GB Gaf Poster?

B_lUGYgVEAEeck6.jpg

Some @GameOverGreggy jabroni is talking shit about me at #PAXAMANIA. Bong Boy will SMOKE YOU at PAX Prime, son!

Well he already talked to every single video production guys working at CBSi so I'm sure it's gonna go on the sites this week.

I'm not concerned about the "when", just the "that it gets done". I still bug Greg about getting the complete archive of his Oblivion playthrough stream every couple of years or so.

WE HAVE TO PRESERVE THIS MAGIC

strafer

I'm not concerned about the "when", just the "that it gets done". I still bug Greg about getting the complete archive of his Oblivion playthrough stream every couple of years or so.

That would be amazing.

I wanna see that playthorught.

It has always really bugged me that this isn't available because at the time I think it was only for GameSpot subscribers or something so I never got to see the whole thing (because who subscribed to GameSpot in 2006?). I hope it still actually exists somewhere.

Myggen

There's so much good Gamespot stuff lost to time from that era because of Gamespot being absolutely terrible at preserving their own content. Case in point: People have found tons of The Hotspot episodes from the Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny/Rich era by just trying different URLs, so they're obviously still on a server somewhere, but none of that stuff can be found on the actual website itself.

strafer

There's so much good Gamespot stuff lost to time from that era because of Gamespot being absolutely terrible at preserving their own content. Case in point: People have found tons of The Hotspot episodes from the Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny/Rich era by just trying different URLs, so they're obviously still on a server somewhere, but none of that stuff can be found on the actual website itself.

Is it worth it though...the quality must be terrible...did they do HD back then?

Zaph

Yup. Lots of fantastic Jeff/Ryan content lost.

Is it worth it though...the quality must be terrible...did they do HD back then?

Not HD, but Gamespot always had really high-end video equipment (for the time) so it's all completely watchable.

repeater

I'm sure this is in the thread somewhere, so for doing this, but was the PAX panel from the other day archived (unofficially I guess?) somewhere?

I hope it still actually exists somewhere.

Greg told me that it's on some kind of tape somewhere, if I remember rightly he said Jeff might even have copies. This was like three years ago lol.

Speaking of the Unarchived People, I think you need to speak to this man about the "Making the Sausage" Video Thing...

https://twitter.com/Alex_R_Smith/status/574250334077513728

‏@Alex_R_Smith
@Fattony12000 I shot it on Gamespot's stuff so they'll be handling getting it on the site
5:27 PM - 8 Mar 2015

https://twitter.com/Alex_R_Smith/status/574622589940862976

11005271_1576206882632045_1796522714_n.jpg

Lijik

Im watching the 404ing panel since I missed most of it last night, and that Mario bootleg they played is particuarly amazing because its a bootleg of a bootleg. The original game is Squirrel King, an unlicensed Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers clone

If I remember right about halfway into the Mario World hack they just gave up on changing the graphics and level design, so you're just playing through Squirrel King as Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom