• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Thought this was a pretty honest answer from Jeff regarding gaming sites more and more turning into "entertainment sites":

shojojusticewarriors asked:How do you feel about Joystiq getting shut down?
Joystiq seems like it was one of the last solid places for getting a “pure” news feed. They didn’t appear to waste time with a lot of non-gaming stories. Of course, you see all these other game news sites getting into movie trailers and other crap like that, which always looks like a cheap growth/survival tactic to me. So maybe Joystiq could have been bigger and more resilient if they had embraced more of that junk. I don’t really know what the circumstances were. Maybe AOL was just tired of being in the video game news business.

(Of course, we’re not without our own off-topic coverage, but I at least like to think that we handle non-game stuff in a more interesting way than sucking traffic out of whatever “hot” pop culture thing is happening at any given time.)

I think Polygon is especially poor in this regard. I remember Ben Kuchera saying that his Game of Thrones recaps were some of the most popular stuff on the site, so I guess people want even more GoT recaps? They now hired their own entertainment editor, so one can at least hope they're gonna start doing more interesting stuff than posting the latest Avengers trailer.

You can even see Gamespot starting to do some of this stuff, they've posted some movie trailers under an "Entertainment" label.

Xater

Having Entertainment news on a video game site is always weird to me. That's not why I visit those sites. To me it is just added clutter. also you don't see movie websites adding video game news.

The Run GFB storyline is more interesting than anything in WWE right now.

Almost every major indie books better than WWE. Expand your horizon man.

Run GFB shirts are the video game industry equivalent of Bullet Club shirts back when they were cool (ie a year ago).

They are still kinda cool, but just because the design is dumb in the right way.

PS: I even saw at least one Bullet Club shirt at the wXw show yesterday.

Thought this was a pretty honest answer from Jeff regarding gaming sites more and more turning into "entertainment sites":

I think Polygon is especially poor in this regard. I remember Ben Kuchera saying that his Game of Thrones recaps were some of the most popular stuff on the site, so I guess people want even more GoT recaps? They now hired their own entertainment editor, so one can at least hope they're gonna start doing more interesting stuff than posting the latest Avengers trailer.

You can even see Gamespot starting to do some of this stuff, they've posted some movie trailers under an "Entertainment" label.

It's an inevitability. You just can't be a 3ews (reviews, previews, and news) site anymore. You got to have a personality driven content like Giant Bomb in order to survive this harsh post-Pewdiepie world.

I always found it fascinating how Jeff saw all this happening before LPs even became a thing. Well...Technically the term LP predates GB by a year but you get my point.

Xater

It's an inevitability. You just can't be a 3ews (reviews, previews, and news) site anymore. You got to have a personality driven content like Giant Bomb in order to survive this harsh post-Pewdiepie world.

I always found it fascinating how Jeff saw all this happening before LPs even became a thing. Well...Technically the term LP predates GB by a year but you get my point.

Well Jeff is a smart guy when it comes to this stuff.

danm999

Just catching up on Metal Gear Scanlon, and Drew continues to make chuckle;

"The members of Cobra are all named after an emotion that represents them".

"One of them felt bees".

It's one thing to see it coming (which most sites didn't), but Jeff was also able to actually execute on that foresight. Not everybody has the personality that lends itself to the type of content that was necessary to survive, but he did, and the sort of people he hired/followed him from GameSpot did too.

In a way, getting canned from GameSpot might have been a blessing in disguise. Without the freedom he had to experiment the way they did in Giant Bomb's early run (for example; I can't imagine if he stayed on as editor at GameSpot he'd be allowed to devote several hours of his morning playing Persona 4 with Vinny for an Endurance Run), they all might have been out of the industry entirely by 2015 through either the sites they were associated with buckling, or them losing interest in video games coverage as individuals.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
He should check out giant bomb dot com, they've got some cool internet videos he'd enjoy.

tchocky

It's one thing to see it coming (which most sites didn't), but Jeff was also able to actually execute on that foresight. Not everybody has the personality that lends itself to the type of content that was necessary to survive, but he did, and the sort of people he hired/followed him from GameSpot did too.

In a way, getting canned from GameSpot might have been a blessing in disguise. Without the freedom he had to experiment the way they did in Giant Bomb's early run (for example; I can't imagine if he stayed on as editor at GameSpot he'd be allowed to devote several hours of his morning playing Persona 4 with Vinny for an Endurance Run), they all might have been out of the industry entirely by 2015 through either the sites they were associated with buckling, or them losing interest in video games coverage as individuals.

I think a lot of game journalists at the time probably saw it coming but were not in a position to change. As you said it is easier to start a new site focusing on a new style than changing something like gamespot or ign where you have to convince people higher up to change. I also think GB turned out the way it did because they simply didn't have the manpower to do it the old way. It is similar to an indie dev like Steve Gaynor, he made Gone Home without npcs not because he thought that was the future but because he didn't have the staff to do it and it led to a game different to everything else.

Paxamania was great. Making the game itself secondary to the wresting bullshit surrounding it makes for a much more entertaining show than the Rumbles have been. Also an amazing performance from Greg Miller, I was really impressed.

Watched the GB panel as well. I generally haven't had a problem with the QA sections of these things. I didn't really hate this one either. But if you've been annoyed with them in the past then you should probably skip this one because you'll literally die.

I think there's a certain value to that kind of stuff. I'm definitely not looking to gaming sites for my TV news and reviews or anything, there are plenty of better and more dedicated places for that stuff (Vulture, Hitfix, etc.)

When it's a personality-based site like Giant Bomb that i've been following for a while, though, I enjoy hearing them talk about stuff other than video games. I like hearing them talk about TV shows and movies they're into. I already know they like games, but finding out what other interests they have in common with me allows me to relate to them more. But it's also not like I want Alex to start reviewing episodes of Justified or something, I just think its really cool to read his tweets about episodes as they air sometimes.

I really don't know anything about the Polygon guys though, so i'm probably not going to feel the same way about their coverage of non-gaming stuff

Just catching up on Metal Gear Scanlon, and Drew continues to make chuckle;

"The members of Cobra are all named after an emotion that represents them".

"One of them felt bees".

Just caught up last night myself. Man dI'd people over exaggerate drew getting annoyed. It wasn't that bad at all. He was far more upset during Mario party lol.

The Jason and Brad video made me end up getting Monster Hunter. Already put about 20 hours into it and I'm really enjoying it. So far I've only had trouble with the big ass spider in the second hub area, took me near the entire time limit to take it down. I also had to look up a tutorial video on capturing a monster because I was screwing it up somehow.

danm999

Just caught up last night myself. Man dI'd people over exaggerate drew getting annoyed. It wasn't that bad at all. He was far more upset during Mario party lol.

He was furious at Mario Party.

I tend to take a lot of community reaction with a healthy dose of skepticism. When Jeff/Brad had their "left trigger right trigger shooter" debate last year, I read a thread on the GB Forums where most of the reactions made it seem like one of them was going to murder the other.

He was furious at Mario Party.

I tend to take a lot of community reaction with a healthy dose of skepticism. When Jeff/Brad had their "left trigger right trigger shooter" debate last year, I read a thread on the GB Forums where most of the reactions made it seem like one of them was going to murder the other.

Why is papa Jeff and uncle Brad fighting

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
There's no issue with streaming movies.

HJ1t77L.png

komplanen

I'm watching completely unrelated YouTube tutorial and this guy just introduced himself as "Head Wiz of Dragon Rider Network" completely poker faced.

Now I am thinken of Dave :-(

The Jason and Brad video made me end up getting Monster Hunter. Already put about 20 hours into it and I'm really enjoying it. So far I've only had trouble with the big ass spider in the second hub area, took me near the entire time limit to take it down. I also had to look up a tutorial video on capturing a monster because I was screwing it up somehow.

Keep at it. The magic of Monster Hunter isn't just about getting loot and making sick armour and weapons out of the monster you hunt. The real magic lies in your skills improving with each quest. You'll soon be able to cut the time to kill that spider and then cut it again.

Keep at it. The magic of Monster Hunter isn't just about getting loot and making sick armour and weapons out of the monster you hunt. The real magic lies in your skills improving with each quest. You'll soon be able to cut the time to kill that spider and then cut it again.

Oh, I'm definitely hooked. My only complaint so far is I think the mounting or jumping attack is almost, dare I say, too easy. It seems like as I go further monsters take more jump attacks to knock them down, but with the amount of small ledges to run and jump on it seems like everything is based around this mechanic so far.

one of the things I liked about MH3 when I played it was that it never seemed particularly hard, meaning, you could play it without being great, but it rewarded you for getting better and playing better. smart difficulty curve.

Xater

one of the things I liked about MH3 when I played it was that it never seemed particularly hard, meaning, you could play it without being great, but it rewarded you for getting better and playing better. smart difficulty curve.

Yeah it's the kinda game where you level up not your character. You get better at everything over tim so once you go back to hunt a specific monster for a part you are so much better at it than the first time around.

I really wan to play Monster unter again with MH4 but I really don#t want to buy a 3DS again. I already had 3 different versions and that would be my fourth one...

Does anyone know if the Bunch of Dads panel was recorded or will come out as a podcast or anything?

Edit: I'm also really interested in that game Vinny brought up on the GB panel (12 minutes), but as far as I can tell it's near impossible to find anything on it because every game imaginable apparently had previews of 12 minutes of gameplay.

LiK

Good lord, watching the GB P4 ER and I can't believe some of my favorite scenes in P4G isn't in OG P4. Kinda shocked how well they were implemented into Golden.

danm999

Good lord, watching the GB P4 ER and I can't believe some of my favorite scenes in P4G isn't in OG P4. Kinda shocked how well they were implemented into Golden.

As I found out last week, P4G is much better at holding Charlie's feet to the fire for being a human petri dish for STD's.

Zaph

Does anyone know if the Bunch of Dads panel was recorded or will come out as a podcast or anything?

Edit: I'm also really interested in that game Vinny brought up on the GB panel (12 minutes), but as far as I can tell it's near impossible to find anything on it because every game imaginable apparently had previews of 12 minutes of gameplay.

Bunch Of Dads is tomorrow.

Twelve Minutes: https://twitter.com/12minutesgame http://www.sidequesting.com/2015/03/twelve-minutes/

Oh, I'm definitely hooked. My only complaint so far is I think the mounting or jumping attack is almost, dare I say, too easy. It seems like as I go further monsters take more jump attacks to knock them down, but with the amount of small ledges to run and jump on it seems like everything is based around this mechanic so far.

Mounting serves two purposes when solo: Stopping a monster in its tracks so you can wail on it and prematurely ending a monster's rage mode. It may seem that it's imperative that you do jumping attacks and that the game gives you plenty of opportunities to do them but they aren't completely necessary IMO. I usually do one or two mounts on a large monster per quest but that's pretty much it. If I find that I'm doing a decent amount of damage to a monster then I would withhold setting up a mount if it takes too much effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom