• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giant Bomb #13 | Some Asshole Cat

I really liked the MH discussion on the podcast this week. I don't think I've ever heard Dan be so genuinely frustrated with a game before - sure he'll say that something's "stupid" or "a piece of shit" every now and then, but this time I felt he was genuinely ANGRY at the game. You could tell Brad really enjoyed the discussion too. :D

I did too. It'd be cool to have a seperate podcast or some type of video for a group discussion of Monster Hunter. Pull Ian in it somehow too, he seems to be the one that has gotten into the most.

Brad seemed to be really loving that Dan was so angry at the game.

"You can't pause." "You can pause."

"The controls are awful." "They're intentional."

"It's not like Dark Souls." "It's a lot like Dark Souls."

Luke_Wal

I had a dream last night that I was the staff's newest hire in the SF office, and I mentioned offhand that I had never played a Halo game because I never had an Xbox growing up, and Drew freaked out. We started a new video series called Ha-Luke (because my name is Luke and I love bad names). Was quite exciting.

demidar

That exchange was hilarious, especially since the Metal Gear games have awkward as fuck controls.

I had a dream last night that I was the staff's newest hire in the SF office, and I mentioned offhand that I had never played a Halo game because I never had an Xbox growing up, and Drew freaked out. We started a new video series called Ha-Luke (because my name is Luke and I love bad names). Was quite exciting.

As a huge Halo fan......would not watch. :lol

I can barely even stand to watch the entirety of the Extra Life stream. Halo is just not a good game to revisit(besides CE and MP) and especially watch get revisited.

That exchange was hilarious, especially since the Metal Gear games have awkward as fuck controls.

I was thinking this exact thing. As someone who just played both recently I was thinking MGS has way more fucked controls. The only thing I really ever had trouble with in MH was remembering to put away or pull out my weapon.

I was thinking this exact thing. As someone who just played both recently I was thinking MGS has way more fucked controls. The only thing I really ever had trouble with in MH was remembering to put away or pull out my weapon.

We all have blindspots regarding the things we like and the things we don't like but Dan really is terrible at doing this.

danm999

Giant Bomb #13 | Some Asshole Cat

I really liked the MH discussion on the podcast this week. I don't think I've ever heard Dan be so genuinely frustrated with a game before - sure he'll say that something's "stupid" or "a piece of shit" every now and then, but this time I felt he was genuinely ANGRY at the game. You could tell Brad really enjoyed the discussion too. :D

Yeah Dan is usually so enthusiastic and gushing about things it was fun to hear him articulate why he hates the shit out of something. Kind of the same joy I get when I hear Jeff breaks into an uncharacteristic rant about how fucking cool something is.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It's really not like dark souls. The only thing like dark souls is that there is animation priority and stamina management, but the combat and gameplay is very different.

I don't know, I played a lot of MH3U and there's a lot it shares in common with the Souls games' combat. animation priority, roll dodge, combos, heavy/light

those skills absolutely cross over. the tactics are different but if you can wrap your head around one, the other isn't much of an adjustment.

Antiwhippy

I don't know, I played a lot of MH3U and there's a lot it shares in common with the Souls games' combat. animation priority, roll dodge, combos, heavy/light

those skills absolutely cross over. the tactics are different but if you can wrap your head around one, the other isn't much of an adjustment.

That's like saying that all games with ADS are like COD or all cover shooters are like gears of war. At some point stamina based combat with animation priority is way too general of a thing to use to indicate if a person will like one game compared to the other. There is a lot more nuance to the way monster hunter uses animation priority for various attacks that makes learning each weapon more of its own game, whereas dark souls it is a lot more simplified weapon to weapon.

Even how each game approaches the scenario gameplay design is also vastly different.

There are similarities but not enough to assume that one fan can just transition to the other.

Looks like reviewers have got bloodborne

With 40 hours' play in the bank, and standing it against FromSoftware's formidable back catalogue, we can make a clear call on Bloodborne's quality and present our verdict. You'll have to wait until issue 279 for some words with a digit on the end, but if the purpose of the review is to provide a recommendation - or otherwise - then out cover story should hit the mark."

'If you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time."

As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again

I bet funkystudent is delighted to hear it is not 6 hours of gameplay!

That's like saying that all games with ADS are like COD or all cover shooters are like gears of war.

if we lived in a world where methodical animation priority action games were even 1/10th as prevalent as CODs or cover shooters, then it would probably make sense to make those distinctions more clear.

as it stands, we've basically got two major series that are even attempting something like that, even if they go in very different directions.

danm999

Just started Metal Gear Scanlon 3 Ep 4, where Dan says "the gun is good", and Drew, almost immediately as I thought it, mutters under his breath to himself "the penis is evil".

Fucking Zardoz references I love it.

demidar

That's like saying that all games with ADS are like COD or all cover shooters are like gears of war. At some point stamina based combat with animation priority is way too general of a thing to use to indicate if a person will like one game compared to the other. There is a lot more nuance to the way monster hunter uses animation priority for various attacks that makes learning each weapon more of its own game, whereas dark souls it is a lot more simplified weapon to weapon.

Even how each game approaches the scenario gameplay design is also vastly different.

There are similarities but not enough to assume that one fan can just transition to the other.

They're not the same, but they are similar because they use the same core mechanic. Stamina based combat indicates a deliberate design decision to limit player offense and to put an emphasis on knowing when (and where) to attack since attacking is a limited resource. Of course, Monster Hunter takes it a lot further, but I would very much group them the same even if they are in different genre (and only on the point of combat mechanics). Knowledge learned in one does bleed over to the other even if the depth is different.

And FPS with ADS do play similar to each other =_= That's why they're grouped separately from games that are FPS but rely on hip shooting (arena shooters) which informs player movement speed and mobility.

Antiwhippy

if we lived in a world where methodical animation priority action games were even 1/10th as prevalent as CODs or cover shooters, then it would probably make sense to make those distinctions more clear.

as it stands, we've basically got two major series that are even attempting something like that, even if they go in very different directions.

That's true (though it's not like stamina based action games are only relegated to those two series), but the point still stands that you can't just say "animation-priority, stamina-based, GO" and say that each game shares the same principles. You make the distinctions clear when they are clear, and even stuff like lock on and pacing are very distinctive from both games.

Hell, I'd even argue that monster hunter is more about managing animation and timing, while the souls series is more about stamina management. The only real stamina management you need in MonHun is to make sure that your bar is full, or if you're using dual daggers.

BTW, my argument is not that they don't share similarities, it's that they're different enough that you can't expect the entire fanbase of each to overlap, even though they do have quite a bit of overlap.

demidar

There's a strange irony in him getting into monhun but still struggling with the mechanics and controls of the metal gear games.

But at least now that means he'll probably play Peace Walker since it's MGShun.

It's probably because the controls in MonHun are steep but logical, much like controlling a Warthog or other aircraft.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Name and shame.

"Dan what the fuck is with Air Force Gator?"
ZWnR24x.jpg

"Dan, when are you going to watch anime?"

"How do I not look like a dumbass?"

"How do I get into games journalism? Should there be ethics in games journalism?"

"Hire Cara Ellison"

strafer

Name and shame.

"How do I get into games journalism? Should there be ethics in games journalism?"

"Hire Cara Ellison"

Are those legit questions they asked?

Corgi

Banned
I'll put it in spoilers for people who haven't played it yet.

If you tranq the boss at the end of the fight when she's out of the laughing octopus form and just in her plug suit, you'll get a special face camo that's basically just her face after the fight and if you use it in chapter 3, none of the guards or anyone will stop/spot you. You can just walk behind him the entire chapter and there's no consequence for it.

man fuck that mission trying to play it as trenchcoat 'disguise'. For some reason guards can see you when they are a floor below you.

Mission was way easier when I did it in full octocam gear.

Alright I'm on board with everyone agreeing that Dan is just stupid.

Brad did such a good job with this MonHun talk so far. And isn't there a guide in the game? Also, on the subject of "not knowing what X monster is," it's a game about hunting, learning shit. I haven't really gotten into MonHun but his complaints about the game are just wrong.

Bacon

Brad did such a good job with this MonHun talk so far. And isn't there a guide in the game? Also, on the subject of "not knowing what X monster is," it's a game about hunting, learning shit. I haven't really gotten into MonHun but his complaints about the game are just wrong.

Yup everyone is in agreement on that, wrap it up guys, Dan is just stupid for not liking a video game.

Yup everyone is in agreement on that, wrap it up guys, Dan is just stupid for not liking a video game.

Yep, because he was just incorrect about some of his problems with it.

If he finds the combat boring or whatever, fine. But there were some fundamental things that he was just wrong about.

LiK

now now

Ah, maybe I should not post about the podcast until I hear it through. I thought Dan was going the "this is an objectively bad game" route.

That'll teach me to form an opinion before the conversation is finished!

danm999

Yep, because he was just incorrect about some of his problems with it.

If he finds the combat boring or whatever, fine. But there were some fundamental things that he was just wrong about.

Apart from the pause thing which he immediately conceded he was wrong about, which of his four or five other reasons he gave for disliking the game so fundamentally wrong that he's an idiot?

Ah, maybe I should not post about the podcast until I hear it through. I thought Dan was going the "this is an objectively bad game" route.

That'll teach me to form an opinion before the conversation is finished!

I see your confusion. He pretty strongly said he was speaking subjectively once he gave his opinion.

Zaph

Name and shame.

"Hire Cara Ellison"

Young white men have a lot to answer for

I see your confusion. He pretty strongly said he was speaking subjectively once he gave his opinion.

Yeah once he got to the end of it all. I think he also needs to try playing it with Brad and Jason, as there's something to be said about doing group hunting versus playing it on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom