• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaaand already Drew spends 6 minutes listening to Codec.

Man, fuck those people complaining about not using the codec enough. That shit was boring.
The difference with MGS3 is that just about all of the stuff that Drew would like, the tech and weapon nerdery, the Cold War trivia and zanyness of the support team, it's all in the codec. He's just not calling the right folks at the right times.

Like in this latest episode at the end,
calling SIGINT reveals that Granin knew Huey Emmerich, OTACON's father, and SIGINT lambastes the concept of Metal Gear as well

Haunted

Controlling two people in hotline miami 2 seems terrible.
I'm not sure if it's the worst or the best yet. Clever design, fits the atmosphere and gives them a unique flavour. The downside is that they're harder to control with a bit of AI bs.

Might be the best character if you just want to go ham.

- J - D -

"I do like this game but I feel like I'm getting in the way of me playing it. And that's frustrating."

Probably the most honest appraisal of MGScanlon, from the man himself. But it's fine. Every GB endurance run had episodes like today's MGScanlon. Like when Brad/Ryan was stuck on the hallway girl boss in Deadly Premonition, or the times when Jeff could barely contain his disdain whenever Vinny failed to get a preemptive hit on an enemy in Persona 4.

It's frustrating, but it'll feel more rewarding for it when Drew/Dan come through on the other side and are total bosses at the game.

Also, bless Jason for his patience. Don't know how he does it.

Wunder

Aaaaa

why does drew not equip the life medicine in a boss fight with low hp but he's fine to use like TWO against shitty guards?!

FEARRRRRRRRRRR

jgminto

Aaaaa

why does drew not equip the life medicine in a boss fight with low hp but he's fine to use like TWO against shitty guards?!
Dan told him they were rare this episode which I think made him not want to use them. Which they are but the bosses are the best time to use them.

Wunder

Dan told him they were rare this episode which I think made him not want to use them. Which they are but the bosses are the best time to use them.

Yeah, if there's any time to use it, it'd be during an inescapable prolonged fight. I was wondering why he just popped two of 'em during a random encounter, but whatever.

LegoArmo

Metal Gear Scanlon 3 is proof of what I knew all along. The third game in the series is boring as shit, and by far the worst of the 4 main games.

All those people who tried to tell me otherwise were drunk.

Jintor

I think another issue is that Dan isn't playing MGS3 along side this like he did with MGS1.

He is, isn't he? I thought he mentioned something about it.

It's the monster hunter of giantbomb videos.

Dan complaining about MonHun was pretty great. Not because I have any affection for MonHun (haven't played it yet), but almost everything he said applies to Metal Gear and you can see it because Drew is playing it right in front of it as Dan froths as the mouth

Metal Gear Scanlon 3 is proof of what I knew all along. The third game in the series is boring as shit, and by far the worst of the 4 main games.

People just remember the beginning and end of the game and forget that most of MGS3 isn't that great.

hamchan

Drew playing can make every game in the series look the worst. Maybe it's just a bad game series overall.

Window

lol drew's gotta stop blaming the game

I enjoy watching these videos, essentially the process of discovery of the game mechanics but MGS3 has been not been as enjoyable so far. There's a lot to explore but they don't. In the cases they do they forget what they learned shortly after (I understand that long breaks between episodes certainly don't help). I think Dan's hazy memory isn't helping either. Forgetting that you cannot CQC after the game explicitly tells you can't was pretty frustrating (or not using the map either). I don't expect mastery of these games (I'm pretty mediocre at them myself) but I do expect some understanding of how the game mechanics work after having played >20 odd ours of the series. I was kinda surprised Drew didn't know how the tranquillizer worked until the previous episode. Despite all this, I keep watching so they must doing something right I guess.

what if I sad that the lab part of that game is maybe my favorite?

man, actually anything BUT the big cinematic stuff is probably my favorite in that one. such a fun game to be let loose in

Valtýr

it's not only the best in the series but one of the best games ever made.

klonere

Banned

Watching a slightly better version of DSP is not the best way to show off MGS3 I think. There's just so much more you can do in MGS3 than the other games (MGS4 doesn't count because there are two chapters where you use all the tools available to you). Sadly the nature of MGScanlon doesn't lend itself to showing off how good the game can be.

Love you Drew.

LegoArmo

I'm not talking about how Drew plays it. I've played it myself and stopped because it felt like a boring chore.

Watching Metal Gear Scanlon just to see how the story goes with a bit of Dan and Drew commentary.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I just got myself a premium account. Hooray. Now off watching Metal Gear Scanlon forever.

HOW ABOUT JUST GO FORWARD AND PAST THIS FUCKING SECTION ALREADY GODDAMNIT YOU DONT NEED TO CQC ANYONE THIS IS SO FUCKING DUMB WHY ARE YOU SO DUMB DREW

The cabin area itself might take a long time. I remember getting caught through windows a bunch in that part. And while the entire cabin area is optional, I can't see Dan letting Drew go through MGS3 without the
M63 which makes Snake scream like Rambo.

what did you all expect when there was like a week between episodes? This always happens.

There's a reason that the last few episodes of the MGS2 run were so good: he pretty much played almost all of them in one sitting. I keep saying that they need to do this for these games to stick, or to make drew do a couple of warmup laps with the VR missions so he can remember some of the basics before getting back into the game.

I totally enjoyed this episode, btw, and it does look like drew is making an effort to understand how MGS3 works so he deserves some credit for that.

LiK

what did you all expect when there was like a week between episodes? This always happens.

There's a reason that the last few episodes of the MGS2 run were so good: he pretty much played almost all of them in one sitting. I keep saying that they need to do this for these games to stick, or to make drew do a couple of warmup laps with the VR missions so he can remember some of the basics before getting back into the game.

I totally enjoyed this episode, btw, and it does look like drew is making an effort to understand how MGS3 works so he deserves some credit for that.

exactly, they should be playing this every day or every other day. the controls can be hard to remember for extended breaks.

Volotaire

Haha I never used the thermal goggles in
The Fear.
It took a while until I defeated him. I also had no clue about the tricking him by using your won food and such. Brilliant.

All of this could have been avoided if Drew stopped running around the same part of the building over and over and actually looked at the other side for 1 second to see another set of stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom