• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Banned
The only thing frustrating about MGS is that Drew is like the most attentive GB member - he takes notes and shit during flight sim tutorials - but he doesn't seem at all interested in giving the MGS series the same kind of respect and attention.

It's still great entertainment and I love the series but it just seems uncharacteristic for Drew, and the series could seemingly be a lot less frustrating for everyone involved if there was a little more effort put in to understanding and working with the game's mechanics.

Look, I just need to see 4 more things before all of you folks moaning about this series end up costing us a good thing:

-The End fight
-
The Ladder
fight
-The Sorrow fight
-
The Boss
fight

Just let me have these 4 things and they can retire the series. No good person should be exposed to the latter half of MGS4 so i'm ok with this.

strafer

Look, I just need to see 4 more things before all of you folks moaning about this series end up costing us a good thing:

-The End fight
-
The Ladder
fight
-The Sorrow fight
-
The Boss
fight

Just let me have these 4 things and they can retire the series. No good person should be exposed to the latter half of MGS4 so i'm ok with this.

crap comment is crap

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jesus christ, this is reaching beyond all the complaints that GB had when the P4 ER was running. This thread and the comments section on the site combined.

Liamc723

"Reading solutions is wayyy out of the question."

No it's not Dan. When you're spending 45 minutes hitting a brick wall that is also being recorded to be provided as paid for entertainment for other viewers, you find the way to progress.

The only thing frustrating about MGS is that Drew is like the most attentive GB member - he takes notes and shit during flight sim tutorials - but he doesn't seem at all interested in giving the MGS series the same kind of respect and attention.

It's still great entertainment and I love the series but it just seems uncharacteristic for Drew, and the series could seemingly be a lot less frustrating for everyone involved if there was a little more effort put in to understanding and working with the game's mechanics.

I feel the same way. Watching him be absorbed with these complicated and technical flight simulators is a joy to watch, but it seems none of that is translating to a more traditional game. A little bit of patience (and using all the resources at your disposal like the CODEC) goes a long way in this game. I feel like The End is going to be the make or break point for the rest of this series.

Imagine if in the next episode
Drew gets knocked out by End's darts and wakes up in that prison cell.

Now that would be hilarious.

I've beaten MGS3 half a dozen times and I had no idea this could happen.

Antiwhippy

Also reaching beyond the complaints of the Deadly premonition ER, which was worse than the P4 ER ones now that I think about it.

I dunno, I just think that it's fine and entertaining for them to discover the game on their own accord, fumbles and all.

"Reading solutions is wayyy out of the question."

No it's not Dan. When you're spending 45 minutes hitting a brick wall that is also being recorded to be provided as paid for entertainment for other viewers, you find the way to progress.

I agree with Dan on this. There's nothing about MGS3 (or any MGS really) that requires looking at a guide to get through the game. They should be aiming for drew to have as much of a similar experience as the average gamer does as possible. And then there's the slippery slope argument that if you use a guide once, what's to stop you from using it twice or more?

Also, could you imagine the backlash if they did use a guide?

LiK

I feel the same way. Watching him be absorbed with these complicated and technical flight simulators is a joy to watch, but it seems none of that is translating to a more traditional game. A little bit of patience (and using all the resources at your disposal like the CODEC) goes a long way in this game. I feel like The End is going to be the make or break point for the rest of this series.

will The End be the end?

Liamc723

I agree with Dan on this. There's nothing about MGS3 (or any MGS really) that requires looking at a guide to get through the game. They should be aiming for drew to have as much of a similar experience as the average gamer does as possible. And then there's the slippery slope argument that if you use a guide once, what's to stop you from using it twice or more?

You're right, there's nothing in this game that needs a guide, but when you're spending over half the episode trying to solve 1 tiny thing, I think it's time to use an outside source. The first 45 minutes are not entertaining whatsoever.

You're right, there's nothing in this game that needs a guide, but when you're spending over half the episode trying to solve 1 tiny thing, I think it's time to use an outside source. The first 45 minutes are not entertaining whatsoever.

I don't really have any issue with that segment. It taught drew to lean on the codec more, it was time used for him to get more used to the controls, and drew now knows to be better about exploring the environment.

you know, the things that people have been whining about for a while now.

Respect and attention? Just because it's MGS3 it deserves some extra level of respect and attention? You guys are making MGS out like it's some sacred cow of gaming. I'm almost glad I'm not invested in the series and the playthrough.

Bacon

Respect and attention it deserves? You guys are making MGS out like it's some sacred cow of gaming. I'm almost glad I'm not invested in the series and the playthrough.

It's so ridiculous, happens everytime GB tries to do a play through of a game, even when the parameters are set at the beginning very clearly explaining that this is going to be Drew's first time experiencing the series and there will be hiccups.

I can see why Jeff wants nothing to do with it anymore

I really look forward to Drew mastering the controls for the MGS games by the end of MGS3, only to have MGS4 actually control like a real game be something that throws him off for 5 episodes.

I'm beginning to wonder if people like the feature or just the game.

Because I'm realizing that, at least recently, I'm seeing a hell of a lot of complaints about episodes being boring.

Could just be my perception. I'm already on record as not being a fan of the feature.

MGS3 is kind of a slow burn compared to the other games. It's pacing gets thrown off a bit by its equivalent of the Tanker mission (the virtuous mission) and then things settle down for a while.

The last 2-3 hours of this game are relentless in their action and entertainment, Drew's like not even close to halfway through this game at this rate.

Patryn

I'm beginning to wonder if people like the feature or just the game.

Because I'm realizing that, at least recently, I'm seeing a hell of a lot of complaints about episodes being boring.

Could just be my perception. I'm already on record as not being a fan of the feature.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yet again people getting way too defensive to critical comments. As long as no one's getting into crazy/personal insult territory, why not just let them have their say and move on?

kershner

Banned
Yeah, I know. I meant to say something like "You make it sound like the deserves some level of respect and attention just because it's MGS3." I was on my phone when I posted that.

I just mean Drew should give the game the same level of attention that he does to other games. I'm not saying MGS3 specifically requires a unique respect because it's a great work or anything (I've never played it but it seems awful, to be honest haha) - just that it's a videogame and like all videogames you need to become familiar and comfortable with the mechanics if you are going to enjoy your time with it. It seems to me like Drew doesn't really care about becoming comfortable with the MGS series - he just wants to get through them.

And again it's only frustrating because Drew seems like the kind of guy who would be totally into figuring this stuff out but instead he's just fighting almost every single mechanic every step of the way through three games now, and his own frustration with the series is really coming through and kind of souring the mood a bit.

Antiwhippy

Yet again people getting way too defensive to critical comments. As long as no one's getting into crazy/personal insult territory, why not just let them have their say and move on?

You're allowed to be critical of critical comments.

It's this crazy cycle, an exchange if you will, that we call "arguments" or "debate".

I'm actually enjoying Metal Gear Scanlon 3, mostly because I love MGS3 above almost any other game, but I do feel this is a sore point for lots of people.

MGS3 is a MUCH slower paced, methodical game compared to MGS1 and 2, which both usher you down critical paths (2 much more so than 1) while MGS3 is all about exploring, experimenting, taking your time.

The problem is, Drew thinks that he needs to get through things as fast as he can, either for a performance sake or because he wants to just get to the next story beat. And it is killing me to see him (and viewers) sour so quickly.

I just hope someday Drew would play Snake Eater by himself, and write up a response then or something. But now, I could easily see them stopping due to outside and internal pressures. Because as terrible as they are, it seems the crew and the crowd would much rather watch them suffer through terrible Demo Discs.

hearing the JUST STOP discussion from 2010, Jeff goes on a tirade on how Square Enix need to stop with the final fantasy versus 13s and the Agitos.

To think that it's 2015 and we're only just now going to get one of those here in the states.

Gosh the complaining has surpassed the levels of the Chrono Trigger ER.

Because no one watched that ER lololol

I did and it was frustrating as hell. Playing an SNES-era RPG, not reading text and dialog, and then complaining about the game not telling you where to go while wandering around being completely lost wasn't fun to watch.

Gestahl

I did and it was frustrating as hell. Playing an SNES-era RPG, not reading text and dialog, and then complaining about the game not telling you where to go while wandering around being completely lost wasn't fun to watch.

Immediately abandoning the flying time ship and complaining about being lost and having nowhere new to go was something special too

I just hope someday Drew would play Snake Eater by himself, and write up a response then or something. But now, I could easily see them stopping due to outside and internal pressures. Because as terrible as they are, it seems the crew and the crowd would much rather watch them suffer through terrible Demo Discs.

I think the demo derby is a more interesting segment because you get to hear some commentary on the old video game scene, mostly from Jeff of course.

I suspect the main point as to why people have problems with MGS is because it's such an enjoyed series, when you see someone smashing their head against a wall for so long, you want to reach into the computer screen and scream at them to go in the right direction.

Unfortunately for those who don't have any sort of preconceived feelings about the series (I've only played MGR), this is also a problem because it feels like there is a lot of dead air with little progress, and there are only so many jokes they can put out while being stuck in an area. Plus sometimes you see what is progression and you get that aching feeling every time they ignore the path forward.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Jeff was basically told how to get the true ending in Persona 4. I think the ER is better for them not getting a bad/normal ending anyway.

LiK

Gosh the complaining has surpassed the levels of the Chrono Trigger ER.

Because no one watched that ER lololol

I enjoyed the CT ER. my only issue was one boss fight. the rest was quite enjoyable.

Jeff was basically told how to get the true ending in Persona 4. I think the ER is better for them not getting a bad/normal ending anyway.

is this true? I thought they knew how to get it themselves. well, the part in the hospital seemed like they were guessing the correct answers.

It's a lot more aggravating when it's such a simple game and the text on the screen can take up like half of what you see.

I still think to this day that it was some high-level trolling from the both of them, i refuse to believe that they would blatantly ignore such obvious prompts spoonfeeding them exactly what they need to do.

Help me remember: was their this much of a critical response in regards to Vinny's half run of DS and Brad's run of Demon's Souls? I don't remember people being this frustrated with them about how they went about things but maybe that's due to frustration being very much part of those games.

yeah but it's an RPG, i don't blame someone from looking at one given how tricky and obtuse RPGs can be.

This is a stealth game that basically includes in-game help from the codecs, there's nothing here that requires looking at a guide to get to the end and achieve the "true" ending.

I think the demo derby is a more interesting segment because you get to hear some commentary on the old video game scene, mostly from Jeff of course.

I worded that terribly, because I have also been enjoying Demo Derby, and as terrible as most of the videos and demos have been, it certainly has been more pleasing and easy to watch.

Waiting for that exciting day when they come across some video that features one of Giant Bomb's family or extended family. Imagine the reaction if they come across Jeff or Dave Lang?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You're allowed to be critical of critical comments.

It's this crazy cycle, an exchange if you will, that we call "arguments" or "debate".

Why the condescension?

I see people complaining about other's voicing their opinions, not actually debating anything they say. You could argue that those opinions are just complaints as well, but at least they're somewhat relevant. Complaints about complaints just tend to shit up the thread, and they seem to roll out every time anyone says anything negative.

I worded that terribly, because I have also been enjoying Demo Derby, and as terrible as most of the videos and demos have been, it certainly has been more pleasing and easy to watch.

Waiting for that exciting day when they come across some video that features one of Giant Bomb's family or extended family. Imagine the reaction if they come across Jeff or Dave Lang?

That last one where the Playstation guy is a Giant Bomb follower was really cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom