• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Also, just read the Jeff article and despite his lack of faith I am still burning the candle of hope that Fallout 4 is coming in November.

I swear to god that I read somewhere that Bethesda was planning on having the shortest announce to release window for their next game, and given that there was less than a year between announce and release of Skyrim, I feel like 3-4 months would work.

I would be absolutely shocked if Fallout 4 came out this year if they're revealing it at E3. But you never know, I suppose.

Gawping at Eva's tits actually leads to one of the greatest character development moments in the game.

All the way through the game, you press R1 to gawp at her tits and Snake is constantly checking her out. However, during the Shagohad battle when you're on the bike and it's rushing towards you as you make you last stand, you can press R1 and Snake is looking into her eyes for the first time. He's falling in love with her, and he's seeing her as a person as opposed to a sexual object.

OK, but like, he's still an asshole

Jothel

Gaf help me, the guy on the train next to me has been playing the same 3DS game the entire time and I've no idea what it is, the entire game seems to take place on a grid, an isometric view at that, the bottom screen has stats with the character on the left hand side, what is this game?

Patryn

Please prepare for the most amazing shitshow on the planet if they hire a male.

Given some of the more troubling elements of the GB fanbase, there will be an equally as bad reaction to a woman.

There's literally no way to win. We just have to get past it, and it'll all calm down in a couple months.

erawsd

Given some of the more troubling elements of the GB fanbase, there will be an equally as bad reaction to a woman.

There's literally no way to win. We just have to get past it, and it'll all calm down in a couple months.

Yeah, Im sure itll be a mess no matter who gets hired. I dont even think the gb community will be the ones stirring the shit, I bet the GG folks will be all over it.

Scizzy

On another topic, I had a sobering thought this morning: I'm seeing people talk about Rab and Cara, and I realized that I'm dreading when they announce the next hire. That's going to be a dark time for Giant Bomb, and I really hope they're better prepared for the controversy and attacks that are going to follow.

I love Giant Bomb and I'll be a fan regardless, but if they add another white male to the staff they'll deserve the same criticism they got last time.

strafer

Gawping at Eva's tits actually leads to one of the greatest character development moments in the game.

All the way through the game, you press R1 to gawp at her tits and Snake is constantly checking her out. However, during the Shagohad battle when you're on the bike and it's rushing towards you as you make you last stand, you can press R1 and Snake is looking into her eyes for the first time. He's falling in love with her, and he's seeing her as a person as opposed to a sexual object.

I the player still looked at them though, does that make a pig?

Bacon

I love Giant Bomb and I'll be a fan regardless, but if they add another white male to the staff they'll deserve the same criticism they got last time.

Probably, yeah. They could use diversity and Gbeast is probably the best place for a non white male to jump in.

kershner

Banned
Probably, yeah. They could use diversity and Gbeast is probably the best place for a non white male to jump in.

I think whichever office Dan is in is the office that could use diversity the most. I love Dan but the typical 'straight white dude/everything is great' perspective is just pretty uninteresting these days, especially considering we kind of already have that like ten times over at GB.

Zaph

Alex and Vinny are such easy going and friendly dudes that I'm sure they could make almost any new hire work. They just need that third chair ASAP

Scizzy

I think whichever office Dan is in is the office that could use diversity the most. I love Dan but the typical 'straight white dude/everything is great' perspective is just pretty uninteresting these days, especially considering we kind of already have that like ten times over at GB.

I think Brad is really good at kind of gently prodding Dan to see the world from a wider perspective, if even for a moment. Dan only realizing the true nature of North Korea when he learned that it lacked even a single McDonalds on the last Bombcast was a great example. And Dan is so good-natured that he only really bugs me on the rare occasions when he mocks people who are passionate about issues that seem unimportant to him. Also, last night, when he wrote on Twitter about how awesome he thought Man on Fire was. I like movies where good guys shoot bad guys (saw John Wick this past weekend, it was awesome), but MoF was vile.

kershner

Banned
I think Brad is really good at kind of gently prodding Dan to see the world from a wider perspective, if even for a moment. Dan only realizing the true nature of North Korea when he learned that it lacked even a single McDonalds on the last Bombcast was a great example. And Dan is so good-natured that he only really bugs me on the rare occasions when he mocks people who are passionate about issues that seem unimportant to him. Also, last night, when he wrote on Twitter about how awesome he thought Man on Fire was. I like movies where good guys shoot bad guys (saw John Wick this past weekend, it was awesome), but MoF was vile.

Honestly I'm not worried about Dan. He's demonstrated with his comments on GB and stuff like Danswers that he is receptive to stuff like this - recognizing his privileged and all that. I think it will be a huge boon for everyone involved to have Dan (and the others) incorporate a new and different perspective in the mix.

He's such an enthusiastic and - dare I say it - open minded guy that I think having a more marginalized viewpoint in the conversation with him would be delightful.

You're right, everything isn't great and GB should really mirror that through their video-game quicklooks more often.

Always felt like we need more depressed people. Someone I can relate to. Like, Alex!

But seriously, let's make things interesting, every white dude should just quit or kill themselves. You're white, you're uninteresting, so what's the point?

They should hire female versions of themselves and they all should be Asian, Hispanic and black. And Alex. He'll stay.

It'll undoubtly (unless you're a racist) make GB THE best video-game website.

Bacon

You're right, everything isn't great and GB should really mirror that through their video-game quicklooks more often.

Always felt like we need more depressed people. Someone I can relate to. Like, Alex!

But seriously, let's make things interesting, every white dude should just quit or kill themselves. You're white, you're uninteresting, so what's the point?

They should hire female versions of themselves and they all should be Asian, Hispanic and black. And Alex. He'll stay.

What are you saying here?

FStop7

Banned

gator detected

That was just an example. Throughout MG Scanlon, Dan's delayed actual gameplay to show off the Kojima's pervy easter eggs, and Drew cringes every time. For good reason. The stuff was cringeworthy when the games were first released and even more so now. Dan's obviously self-aware, he called out the need for other perspectives as why they bring in a variety of guests to Danswers... but wasting time on the Kojima perv stuff and cackling away at it as if it's actually funny and the "cool normal guys" act... it's self-defeating and kinda gross.

Are you implying that a negative reaction from people who are burnt out on homogeny is equivalent to the negative reaction of a bunch of bigots?

What are you saying here?

That I'm depressed.

And

That they should hire whoever the fuck they want, think is good for the job and will fit in. If a girl fits that description (Cara please!) then awesome!

I would love it for them to steal Murray and have Cara or Samantha join. But only they know what would work out for the best. They have to take into account so many things. We don't even know what they're looking for. Maybe they want a writer? I dunno!

Jeff is pretty good at hiring peeps that fit in with them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Patrick had a hell of a learning curve, though. I didn't like him that much in the beginning but he definitely became a legit bomber before the end.

the transitions for Dan and Jason seem so much more smooth in comparison.

KingKong

That was just an example. Throughout the MG Scanlon Dan's delayed actual gameplay to show off the Kojima's pervy easter eggs, and Drew cringes every time. For good reason. The stuff was cringeworthy when the games were first released and even more so now. Dan's obviously self-aware, he called out the need for other perspectives as why they bring in a variety of guests to Danswers... but wasting time on the Kojima perv stuff and cackling away at it as if it's actually funny and the "cool normal guys" act... it's self-defeating and kinda gross.

Perv stuff? Its all straight out of the action movies Kojima
rips off
takes his inspiration from

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
He was on the video podcast at g4 with sessler that I can't remember the name of.

I didn't like him on the bombcast at first because he tended to go on and on. I never understood the outright hated of him, and he eventually became one of my favourite duders.

LiK

Did Patrick do a lot of camerawork pre-bomb?

not really on his own, altho he did a lot of on-camera stuff with 1Up show and G4. when he went to GB, that's when he had to produce his own video features especially when he moved back to Chicago.

dogflaps

Banned
Patrick had a hell of a learning curve, though. I didn't like him that much in the beginning but he definitely became a legit bomber before the end.

the transitions for Dan and Jason seem so much more smooth in comparison.

I don't get involved in the GB community a whole bunch but it has been clear to me that Patrick faced alot of negativity and hate during his time at GB. He talked about this himself often. Dan also seems to be getting a lot of flak. Personally, I like them both but whilst I honestly couldn't fault Patrick, I do find myself getting annoyed with Dan's unbelievable ignorance (McDonalds in North Korea? Really???).

Regardless of how I feel, do you think every new hire is going to get a hard time at GB? What were people's reasons for disliking Patrick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom