• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get involved in the GB community a whole bunch but it has been clear to me that Patrick faced alot of negativity and hate during his time at GB. He talked about this himself often. Dan also seems to be getting a lot of flak. Personally, I like them both but whilst I honestly couldn't fault Patrick, I do find myself getting annoyed with Dan's unbelievable ignorance (McDonalds in North Korea? Really???).

Regardless of how I feel, do you think every new hire is going to get a hard time at GB? What were people's reasons for disliking Patrick?

He was pretty bad on the podcasts, where he had a tendency to talk over people and go off on tangents that seemed like a bit much at times. Those were my issues with him in the beginning but he definitely got much better at avoiding those things with time.

LiK

I don't get involved in the GB community a whole bunch but it has been clear to me that Patrick faced alot of negativity and hate during his time at GB. He talked about this himself often. Dan also seems to be getting a lot of flak. Personally, I like them both but whilst I honestly couldn't fault Patrick, I do find myself getting annoyed with Dan's unbelievable ignorance (McDonalds in North Korea? Really???).

Regardless of how I feel, do you think every new hire is going to get a hard time at GB? What were people's reasons for disliking Patrick?

GB fans are a fickle bunch. If they don't feel the new members fit in perfectly, the new members get a lot of shit. I was totally fine with Patrick, tbh. Enjoyed all his work on 1Up and G4 so I was used to how he talked and wrote his articles. But man, some people really hated Tricky to the point where they would shit on him every chance they could get.

You know what's annoying? I really wanted to continue to follow Patrick, but his solo videos on youtube are just dull. He was really interesting when sharing his views in a discussion setting.

I have an aversion to Kotaku so don't tell me to go over there.

Lelcar

Vinny and Alex are definitely my favorite QL team right now. It's just the right amount of prep work, chemistry and humor that really hits the spot. There's no combination of SF duders that I like more at the moment. It would be a Jeff x ____ combo though.

It's interesting, every QL has a different tone depending on who is leading it. Dan usually treats a QL like a serious review of the game. Brad is almost always starts a QL cold with zero prep. Anyway, I like the Vinny x Alex formula and Jason needs to be thrown into the mix more often!

Patrick had a hell of a learning curve, though. I didn't like him that much in the beginning but he definitely became a legit bomber before the end.

the transitions for Dan and Jason seem so much more smooth in comparison.

Indeed.

I still say the moment he started to grow his beard/mustache was when he ended up in that territory (although he had gotten a broken collarbone out of it IIRC).

I guess Dan's crazy plus his on camera experience and Jason's off-camera/production and on camera experience (like his streams etc) did make it easier for them to fit in.

Zaph

You know what's annoying? I really wanted to continue to follow Patrick, but his solo videos on youtube are just dull. He was really interesting when sharing his views in a discussion setting.

He's got that whole NPR/TAL thing going, which is great when it's about heavier or more delicate topics, but for me it just seems far too overwrought for video games.

I love games, but... they've got a long way to go.

LiK

that's fine, there are some video features on GB i'm not into at all either.

He's got that whole NPR/TAL thing going, which is great when it's about heavier or more delicate topics, but for me it just seems far too overwrought for video games.

I love games, but... they've got a long way to go.

I don't have an issue with discussing those sort of things. There is always room for nuanced discussion, even with games. I just don't Patrick is the one to do it.

There's more chance of Leigh Alexander joining Giant Bomb than Robert Florence.

Speaking of Leigh, Dan's friend Nikki on Danswers reminded me of Leigh except actually self-aware (and I like Leigh, don't get me wrong).

Patryn

If it wasn't for Patrick, we wouldn't have gotten some of the best Yoshi rants from Jeff. Bless you Patrick.

Thus far the best era for Bombcasts were Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, Brad and Patrick.

And it worked because of the mesh of all the personalities.

santeesioux

Speaking of Leigh, Dan's friend Nikki on Danswers reminded me of Leigh except actually self-aware (and I like Leigh, don't get me wrong).

Think of how much controversy there was when they hired Dan and Jason, now quadruple that with Leigh Alexander.

Megasoum

Banned

Well that's not a nice thing to say about Nikki

Also I'm pretty sure that Leigh has openly shat on GB on multiple occasion in the past so there's no way that this is happening.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
These cops are not being responsible!
It's all part of the balance

B_1tu1iUgAAAiRP.png:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom