• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan, i hear you like the zelda nintendo games. As a preview of things to come, i suggest you and/or others at the giant bomb website checkout Oceanhorn now that it's on Steam. It's a great way to get nintendo fans accustomed to seeing their beloved franchises on new nintendo platforms

KingKong

I can only accept Jeff's hatred on Chipotle if he told me that Moe's was the better alternative.

Because Moe's is the better alternative.

Jeff is the last person whose food opinions you should be listening to. Well, maybe Dan is the last person

daydream

Banned
I thought SXSW was just a film festival. It sounded pretty cool in the past, what happened?

And why is Brad getting ruddsy over a Vinny quote?

So many questions this evening.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going laugh my ass off if they wait like two days to record the new MGS Scanlon, i wonder if Dan was aiming for that or the other easter egg.

I thought SXSW was just a film festival. It sounded pretty cool in the past, what happened?.

it WAS a music festival, and then it turned into a multimedia thing, and then a bunch of corporations and people with young money appropriated it and made it bad.

edit: http://digiday.com/social/why-the-ad-world-flocks-to-sxsw/

The indie cred of the festival, as long-timers will grumble over Lone Stars and chalupas, is gone forever. The marketing people have run amok. It has become nothing more than a string of parties with long lines to the men’s room

Matt Szymczyck, CEO and founder of augmented-reality software shop Zugara, was less diplomatic, describing the whole thing as “a massive agency and wannabe-startup circle jerk.”

Agencies have bought into SXSW in a big way. AKQA is growing its presence there this year, sending about 20 of its staffers. Brooklyn-based agency Huge, meanwhile, is sending almost 50. Agencies of all stripes will be roaming the convention center and (more likely) the bars surrounding it, where parties happen seemingly around the clock. Inamoto estimated the number of attendees from the advertising and marketing world has grown tenfold since 2009. Brands are out in force, ranging from top sponsors like Pepsi and Chevrolet to MasterCard, Lowe’s and dozens others. One agency CEO fretted weeks ago that he needed to call contacts at startups in order to get clients into hot parties like the one thrown by Tumblr and The Barbarian Group that boasts not one but two stages with bands. “I had to get 20 clients on VIP lists at every party,” the agency chief complained.

BearPawB

Banned
I thought SXSW was just a film festival. It sounded pretty cool in the past, what happened?

SXSW is a film/music/culture festival. It is cool, but seems to have gotten a little too big.

Wtf is Moe's, and why is Brad so angry at Vinny talking about space?

Moe_sSouthwestGrill.jpg

People were mad at brad after the homeworld quicklook. vinny referenced it in the starships video. And I am not sure Brad realized it was Vinny who was the origin of said quote

I'm not! Talking about the people in the Homeworld comments Vinny was riffing on.

Well yeah, i think we can all agree that they are awful

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year

I'm not! Talking about the people in the Homeworld comments Vinny was riffing on.

Edit: Jesus y'all I said people, how do you get Vinny out of that DOES NOBODY READ ANYMORE

daydream

Banned
it WAS a music festival, and then it turned into a multimedia thing, and then a bunch of corporations and people with young money appropriated it and made it bad.

SXSW is a film/music/culture festival. It is cool, but seems to have gotten a little too big.

That's a shame, some cool stuff came out of that in the past. Oh well.

Ah, that clears it up. Never read the comments, Brad!
I know you're pretty much obligated to so I don't envy you one bit on that part.

Zaph

Edit: Jesus y'all I said people, how do you get Vinny out of that DOES NOBODY READ ANYMORE

We thought vinny was finally exacting revenge for the volgarr joke

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
SXSW had a sick Street Fighter 4 invitational this weekend, so that's allright with me.

To be fair, the post directly refered to Vinny's quote.

It's your fault Brad, Giant Bomb is the source of the death of reading with it's primarily audio and video based content.

tchocky

I gotta say, Brad handles frustration in Breaking Brad better than Drew does in MGScanlon3.

In one of the videos Drew did say MGS stresses him out and when he is at home he does not like to play games that are stressful. Brad on the other hand does like to play difficult games and overcome them.

daydream

Banned
I gotta say, Brad handles frustration in Breaking Brad better than Drew does in MGScanlon3.

BB is so much more entertaining. That's why we need BB and not MGScanlon. Drew can be on Demo Derby and revive Flight Club.

3D World, Dark Forces, Zelda II, Punch-Out - surely one of these games will inspire Brad to step on the Premium scene again at some point. :(

brad hates everyone confirmed

except the peegs

kvk1

Maybe they should change Metal Gear Scanlon to "Destructing Drew" or something.

That way everyone is happy.

I'm still loving the series, personally. The frustration is a part of it.

It only makes the eventual end that much sweeter.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
SXSW is entirely too large and completely run by sponsors. It's still pretty much the best thing to be able to walk downtown and see tons of free great music.

Brad figured out the logic of those games while playing them.

Drew still can't consistently choke out a guard 3 games in.

Drew's a really smart dude so it's rough to see him not have a firm handle on how the series plays by now. While the jump from MGS1->MGS2 is substantial, the jump from MGS2->MGS3 is more of a small leap comparably. The problem is that I don't get the sense that he walked away from MGS1 with a firm understanding of how that game worked and then he seemed to taken in even less of MGS2 when compared to MGS1. So he's now in MGS3 with a dangerously loose understanding of how the MGS mechanics work, in a game that anticipates that the player is familiar with how these games function before coming into it.

The battle with The End asks that the player have a fundamental understanding of MGS3's many systems and mechanics when coming into it so I really fear this is going to get real rough, real soon. I look forward to what is more than likely going to be Breaking Drew: MGS3

Jex

I've loved the bast two Metal Gear Scanlons but, honestly, this particular series has been almost unwatchable. Watching someone play a game badly and get frustrated is not entertaining, nor is Dan giving advice that really hurts Drew's gameplay (Shoot everyone rather than tranquillize, 75% = 1/4 being spotted etc). This isn't Dan's fault in so much as he hasn't played MGS3 nearly as many times as MGS 1 and MGS 2. It does, however, lead to frustration.

It doesn't feel authentic, either. I can't imagine that Drew would be approaching or tackling the game in this manner at his own leisure off camera. You really need an hour or so of just messing around with all the systems before you can proceed effectively in the game and instead of doing that they've just been brute-forcing the way through the game without learning why it's fun to play.

I don't know if Drew needs to practice outside of the videos or just play slower. Or something.

I also agree with those who feel that Drew never really got to grips with MGS' core mechanics from the original game, in terms of movement and combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom