• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some amazing moments happening here but I kinda wish they had researched/established characters ahead of time.

Almost two hours in and they haven't even really started.

Mr. F

Banned
Jesus, that's crazy. Does every game of D&D share the same main objective, or is it always made up by the role that Rorie is playing?

Goals can vary depending on the campaign the DM sets up for the game.

Edit; if people are new/into this and are familiar with MBMBaM, the McElroy brothers do a pretty entertaining/funny D&D podcast with their Dad called The Adventure Zone. Clearly explained and moves along at a good pace.

Jesus, that's crazy. Does every game of D&D share the same main objective, or is it always made up by the role that Rorie is playing?

There is no real main objective, D&D is just a ruleset to play within that universe. Within that ruleset you can do anything, go on any adventures or play through any situations the GM can imagine.

Kurdel

Banned

There are set books and adventures, or Rorie as the DM can make it up. I prefer using books, because the loot is balanced and the story is paced in a way thay is predictable like a video game.

In their adventure, their goal will be to locate the Wave Echo Cavern, and defeat Black Spider. They will go through a Goblin cave, an abandonned manor, ruins of a village and a giant dungeon.

I DMed the Starter Set adventure, and it is really fun!

kvk1

That mailbag was something else.

9Gqbgfq.jpg

There are some amazing moments happening here but I kinda wish they had researched/established characters ahead of time.

Almost two hours in and they haven't even really started.

Yeah it's been pretty dry so far. The problem with these unplugged streams is that so much of it is taken up by learning the rules. By the time it gains momentum, it's over.

This whole set up is why I can't get into this kind of game.

I really hope they split this up between the character creation and actual game start when it's uploaded later.

However Dan learning what a "ship" is magical.

Xater

Anecdotally, D&D is much easier to get into.

Yeah this what my quick research is telling me as well. On my Amazon wish list the player handbook goes. I imagine with online tools available these days finding a Skype group can't be that hard.

This whole set up is why I can't get into this kind of game.

I really hope they split this up between the character creation and actual game start when it's uploaded later.

I love all the set up. Creating characters is fun, that's why I am always disappointed when an RPG doesn't give me lots of options.

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah, they would have been far better served setting this up beforehand considering how infrequent Unplugged can be.

i mean

the set up is part of the game

you know about their characters and shit

its like the first part of a movie where you just introduce things

next episode theyll fight a dragon or some shit

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Brad will spend 10 turns sneaking up to the dragon while all around him perish

A movie doesn't take two hours of set up.

They could have done all of this beforehand and explained their characters' backstories and rolls, and started the game.

I don't want to watch them do test fights either. I'd like to see them get into the game for real.

Myggen

Seems like they'll finish the rest of the character creation off stream. But the character creation is a huge part of D&D, and part of the learning process for the people who haven't played the game. I think it's perfectly fine to include that on the screen, the same way they did on Pathfinder. And they would've had to done this either way, so why not record it? It's not like we're getting this instead of a stream of the "action part" of D&D.

Well, a D&D game, especially with inexperienced players, will take a LOT more time than your average movie, so if you go by percentages of the running time of both a movie and a D&D game... ;)

Xater

Seems like they'll finish the rest of the character creation off stream. But the character creation is a huge part of D&D, and part of the learning process for the people who haven't played the game. I think it's perfectly fine to include that on the screen, the same way they did on Pathfinder.

Yeah, I already learned some stuff about this edition so I liked it.

daydream

Banned

They could have done all of this beforehand and explained their characters' backstories and rolls, and started the game.

I don't want to watch them do test fights either. I'd like to see them get into the game for real.

They would have had to take some time out of their day to do it either way, so why not record it? Rorie gave a heads-up at the beginning that they likely will only do character creation today so I'm not sure why you kept watching if it bothers you that much.

They would have had to take some time out of their day to do it either way, so why not record it? Rorie gave a heads-up at the beginning that they likely will only do character creation today so I'm not sure why you kept watching if it bothers you that much.

Probably because I got in on the video an hour after they had started and hadn't seen that announcement anywhere.

i mean the game can take a long time too

especially with new people so when looking at 2 hours out of ten or something yeah i think the first fifth being actually pretty good compared to most movies

Lelcar

I see surprised reactions. Everyone must have missed it when Rorie said that this episode would be purely character set-up at the top of the show.

Zaph

i mean

the set up is part of the game

you know about their characters and shit

its like the first part of a movie where you just introduce things

next episode theyll fight a dragon or some shit

I appreciate that, but with GB you never know if you're getting 2 episodes of a feature or 20.

I don't mind the setup if they keep the characters around for more than one dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom