• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Just got my Persona 5 and Nier Automata CDs and uploaded them to Google Play, so going through them and adding the songs I like outside the game and just listening to as I go. Persona 5, mostly added the vocal tracks and a couple of others but my god, I new I loved the Nier Automata soundtrack as I was playing, but 10 tracks in and I've added them all to the playlist so far.

It's also got the chiptune hacking versions of the songs on the CD. This fucking rocks.

Eh to be fair didn't dan pretty much do the same thing with Xcom 2?

But XCOM 2 was a goddamn mess, for everyone. That was just a really glitchy game, and super poorly optimized. I don't know how it is now but I'm pretty sure that even weeks after release it was still not in a great state. I've heard of some glitches in Prey and experienced a few myself, but I haven't heard of anyone else encountering game-stopping bugs. In that case, couldn't you at least wait a week or two to see if a patch resolves it? Maybe it's anti-Bethesda sentiment, idk, but punishing Arkane for that and giving a 4.0 to a game that might have scored a 7-8 after patch is just... so short-sighted. Who does that serve?

Catvoca

Banned
"Why do people keep giving these Bethesda games a pass for having so many bugs?"

*reviewer gives Prey a low score because of bugs*

"Awful review, it's completely ridiculous!"

Review scores are dumb.

The weird part comes from the fact that it's a rare bug that Arkane already had a working beta patch up for (that's a thing on Steam) before the review came out, which the reviewer apparently didn't know about, though he knew a patch was coming.

Like, if the game honestly can't be completed, then give it a 0 or an Incomplete or something, don't half-ass it by saying "well, 4, that communicates great game that had a rare endgame bug." If you're making this out to be a big grand stand against bugs in games to warn consumers, then... great, except you already know that the fix is around the corner, so by the time the majority of the people you warned away from the game would have reached that point it might have already been fixed anyway, and now your review is of a version of the game that no longer exists. It doesn't help that the PC version is easily the best version right now and seems to be what the game was designed for, so trying to tell people that they should avoid that version based on a rare unlucky occurrence that's already going to be eliminated feels more misleading.

also Stapleton reviewed Fallout 4 and gave it a 9.5 and said he encountered multiple quest breaking bugs but ehhh that doesn't slow down the experience

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"Why do people keep giving these Bethesda games a pass for having so many bugs?"

Review scores are dumb.

The difference the average Bethesda game is full of game breaking bugs across every corner and reviews rarely even mention it. The IGN review of Prey had ONE game breaking bug and they decided that was enough to ruin the entire game.

Alternatively, Little Nightmares has an 8.8 on IGN when I cna't even launch the game and several others cant because the PC port is utterly fucked for several people.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm not saying he should give the game a 9 and write "I'll probably stay good though" but a 4 seems incredibly arbitrary. Just publish the text without a score.

Review scores are dumb.

It's oversimplifying, but it is silly that this conversation is only happening because there's a number attached to greater context. Subjective scores (especially ones that people use as recommendations) are really dumb.

Curufinwe

I'd give IGN the benefit of the doubt but Stapleton is a total wacko. He actually thinks Death Stranding only has a 50/50 chance at best of being released.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People are actually saying Shenmue is the best Sega game on gaming side
2665537-jeff+laughed.gif

hamchan

Was the term "immersive sim" for the genre coined really recently or something?

Because I only heard it used the first time in the past week on podcasts.

I've been playing this genre for like 20 years now and never used that term.

"Immersive sim" just makes me think of Rollercoaster Tycoon or flight simulators.

"Immersive sim" just makes me think of Rollercoaster Tycoon or flight simulators.

It's kinda weird/funny after years of some push back against the word "immersion" as a game descriptor.

Xater

People are actually saying Shenmue is the best Sega game on gaming side
2665537-jeff+laughed.gif

😂

Those fools.

The term has been around for a long time, people just recently started using it instead of Deus Ex or System Shock clone.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hitman's episodic release plans + online only drm + no disc release on consoles for almost a year = knee-capping themselves.

I don't know how many others share my sentiment but these things prevented me from ever buying the game. I had no interest in preordering their early access experiment and online only single player bullshit, then by the time those were no longer an issue it felt like there was so much missed content from the elusive targets that I lost interest. Also mostly I just hate stealth game in general.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So you wouldn't have bought it anyway?

If it weren't for the online save thing when people were most excited about the game and if the game were actually finished, I probably would have bought it. I definitely would have when it was on sale for like $15 bucks at Gamestop. I think they fixed the offline saves shortly after that too.

StoveOven

Banned
Fuck, I just saw this IO news and got really pissed. I hope they get picked up by a company that's not shit instead of just closing down. That studio is too damn talented to go out of business.

I don't know how many others share my sentiment but these things prevented me from ever buying the game. I had no interest in preordering their early access experiment and online only single player bullshit, then by the time those were no longer an issue it felt like there was so much missed content from the elusive targets that I lost interest. Also mostly I just hate stealth game in general.

That's largely where I'm at too. Waited until they finally announced proper offline play. Bought the starter thing from a PSN sale in December. 2017 quickly filled with great new stuff and I have almost no care to even boot Hitman nonetheless add any more money to it.

strafer

LiS spoilers
Didn't she die? I don't believe there was a way to save her.

According to the Wiki.

Victoria' last appearance depends on the ending you choose :

Max sacrifices Chloe :

She will appear along with Max, Joyce, David and other Blackwell students and mourn over Chloe at the cemetery.

Max chooses to sacrifice Arcadia Bay and save Chloe :

Victoria won't be seen as she presumably dies during the storm.

The gods are punishing a genre for the arrogance of calling itself a title as awful as immersive sims.

It's not new, but I don't know why it has become such a popular term recently. Especially when people are applying to things like Bioshock where it fits poorly.

I'd give Prey a 4 because the jump scare
where you have to calibrate the touch screen
is the only thing in my life that's ever made me react to something as though I'm Klepek watching a horror movie trailer for clicks.

Though there's always been a huge issue with how review sites treat glitches in games. Maybe they should have thought about standardising how bugs affect scores when the New Vegas business went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom