• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

It's a lot of them making references to how things aren't so great in this country right now and the others saying "yuuuuuuuuppppp", laughing loudly, and then talking about what they are going to "dunk on" that episode.

(There are good moments for sure though. Mostly the question bucket).

The Destiny conversation that happened about a week ago or so was one of the best I've ever heard around that game.

And then Phil Kollar(?) came on to drop truths about new games media vs old games media that would make GB uncomfortable.

The pods are great when they dive into stuff.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The Destiny conversation that happened about a week ago or so was one of the best I've ever heard around that game.

And then Phil Kollar(?) came on to drop truths about new games media vs old games media that would make GB uncomfortable.

What did the conversation about old/new media sound like?

The heck with the thread title. I must've missed a video, lol

29LR0mX.png

oti

Banned

What did he say?

The jist was that traditional games media doesn't understand streamers. It was a statement, not an argument. Came up in discussion about PUBG.

eh

I don't think GB has an issue against streamers? If anything it seems like GB is the one that preaches about how video media and streamers are essentially the future.

Joeku

There was an undercurrent of facing their declining relevancy as things like Youtube's algorithms catapult, at times, either any old thing or a particularly and weirdly specific things to the top and they (read: old games media) are often markedly unaware of who and what are actually popular.

Edit: and as far as that actually relates to GB, there's no way an extended conversation about that would go on on the Bombcast today. It would be a "yeah, streaming/youtube is the future" and then they'd continue on to the next topic in their (well, also my) bubble.

Wunder

eh

I don't think GB has an issue against streamers? If anything it seems like GB is the one that preaches about how video media and streamers are essentially the future.

Really? I feel like they rail against YouTubers and Twitch streamers and mock the worst ones for their shtick.

There was an undercurrent of facing their declining relevancy as things like Youtube's algorithms catapult, at times, either any old thing or a particularly and weirdly specific to the top and they (read: old games media) are often markedly unaware of who and what are actually popular.

I think that's true re: what's popular, because I was shocked to hear them express surprise for PUBG's success. Obviously Survival games aren't new but neither are Battle Royale games. Stuff like H1Z1 and The Culling have been around for ages, along with Rust, DayZ and Ark in the survival/BR category

hamchan

Tender Loving Care is hilarious. Just the notion that John Hurt, one of the best actors of his generation, is acting in this stupid thing is funny.

Joeku

I think that's true re: what's popular, because I was shocked to hear them express surprise for PUBG's success. Obviously Survival games aren't new but neither are Battle Royale games. Stuff like H1Z1 and The Culling have been around for ages, along with Rust, DayZ and Ark in the survival/BR category

Even 2016's Destiny, The Division, has a mode like that now and has for a little while, and they seem pretty unaware of that too.

I swear Killing Floor 2 runs weird. Im playing on a 970 and 6600k with near max settings, and I get frame drops out of combat, yet when shit is actually hitting the fan, the fps is stable. Hmmmm

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It seems strange to equate that to GB, who are in fact streamers but are not dependent upon youtube's capricious algorithms and monetisation//copyright practices.

oti

Banned
It seems strange to equate that to GB, who are in fact streamers but are not dependent upon youtube's capricious algorithms and monetisation//copyright practices.

GB gets the benefits without having to play the stupid Youtuber/Streamer game. No dumb thumbnails, no dumb "5 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT ZELDA" crap, no lowering your standards in order to appeal to kids. GB is just removed of all of that stuff because of their subscription model and because they've been using it that long. They have proven in the past that a sub is worth the money and cultivated a following because of that.

Also the fact that GB reviews are more about offering viewers something to read if they want instead of being big money makers makes it obvious that GB is not playing the same game as "old games media" anyway. The last time GB was relevant in that sense must've been Microsoft's DRM 180 when the site crashed.

kiguel182

Personally, the idea of just trying to follow what's popular seems dumb. Every outlet should have their own voice and differentiate themselves instead of trying to be like whatever streamer is popular.

I think the audiences for those streamers and more traditional websites is different and that's okay. Not everyone should cater to the same people.

Joeku

Personally, the idea of just trying to follow what's popular seems dumb. Every outlet should have their own voice and differentiate themselves instead of trying to be like whatever streamer is popular.

I think the audiences for those streamers and more traditional websites is different and that's okay. Not everyone should cater to the same people.

I really don't think anyone is arguing for GB to start screaming on twitch while a sponsor and sub ticker scrolls along the bottom of the screen. There is no "catch up" they can do in that sense and the site has been well served by how long its core staff has been doing this.

I can't deny it's been getting a little dry recently, though, especially on the west coast. UPF has become a second monitor thing for me. It hope the new hire spices it up some.

kiguel182

I don't mind having their content in a second monitor. I love it actually.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like other stuff but having UPF on while I'm working (which is what I'm doing now actually) it's pretty great.

oti

Banned
Did any of the guys actually finish the new Pokemon games? They talked about it briefly and if I'm not mistaken they liked it. But that's all.

Not sure but is that really needed anyway? If you've played the first 2h of any Pokémon game you've played all of them.

I wish they'd reboot the series like they did with BOTW. I hate the random encounters for instance.

Did any of the guys actually finish the new Pokemon games? They talked about it briefly and if I'm not mistaken they liked it. But that's all.

Ok, I'm not sure myself, but man... Rorie is the RPG editor for Giant Bomb and he was absorbed into WoW years ago. We're lucky if they even know a specific RPG exists, let alone have them play any of it.

Zelda and Shadow of Mordor will be this year's RPGs for GB. (Alex suffers the dubious honour of experiencing P5 by proxy, being completely unable to champion it for end-of-year awards.) Also Nioh, which Jason alone will remember.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Finally beat Witcher 3 (59hrs and 32min), and now on to the DLC.....

60 hours? So you just mainlined it I then?

Not sure but is that really needed anyway? If you've played the first 2h of any Pokémon game you've played all of them.

I wish they'd reboot the series like they did with BOTW. I hate the random encounters for instance.

The next game HAS to be on the Switch right? Right? R...right?

kiguel182

I wish they did a Pokemon feature. Have them all play pokemon (plus guests) then we see some matches!

Pokemon Sun was great, alt ought I haven't beaten the Pokemon League yet. But the formula was tweaked more than usually and it totally holds up.

Tubobutts

Finally beat Witcher 3 (59hrs and 32min), and now on to the DLC.....
That's why I'll never finish The Witcher. I currently have 50+ hours in Yakuza 0 and I'm only about 3/4 done with the story.

I did already purchase the Witcher DLCs
For the real life Gwent cards
just in case I ever have a spare 200 hours.

Valtýr

It's a lot of them making references to how things aren't so great in this country right now and the others saying "yuuuuuuuuppppp", laughing loudly, and then talking about what they are going to "dunk on" that episode.

(There are good moments for sure though. Mostly the question bucket).

This isn't accurate in the slightest, btw. Waypoint Radio is great.

Mr. F

Banned

GB's had kind of a weird time having their finger on the pulse in the stretches that they don't have a dedicated news person. It used to be a lot more egregious with the news portion of the podcast consisting of Brad pretty much googling things as they discussed them, but it does still feel like it boils down to 'I think I heard XYZ somewhere' more often than not. Beastcast is a bit better in this regard (and it helps they have corrections).

Strax

I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on video games in general and this post was the first time I've heard of The Culling and I didn't hear anybody talk about BR in other games until after PUBG became big.

Wunder

GB's had kind of a weird time having their finger on the pulse in the stretches that they don't have a dedicated news person. It used to be a lot more egregious with the news portion of the podcast consisting of Brad pretty much googling things as they discussed them, but it does still feel like it boils down to 'I think I heard XYZ somewhere' more often than not. Beastcast is a bit better in this regard (and it helps they have corrections).

Yeah it's surprising sometimes how I can assume they must have heard and/or talked about an issue already but when it comes to the podcast/UPF they have barely heard of it or are informed by chat or something. Can't really think of any specific examples though

I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on video games in general and this post was the first time I've heard of The Culling and did hear anybody talk about BR in other games until after PUBG became big.

Maybe it's just the streamers I watch then. PUBG is the first BR game I've actually bought but I've watched/seen from the sidelines all the different variations of Arma/DayZ come and go for years at this point. They even had an Unfinished of The Culling so its not like they haven't covered stuff like this in the past. It's also kind of the same problem with MOBAs in that it has an extremely deep sub-genre/community so at some point it's a lot easier to just tune that stuff out but you end up at a point where you don't really have a good grasp on that game/franchise/genre anymore if you eventually do decide to jump in

Xater

I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on video games in general and this post was the first time I've heard of The Culling and I didn't hear anybody talk about BR in other games until after PUBG became big.

Well I guess your assumption is wrong then.

The BR mods for ARMA were big.Streamers immediately latched on to any game that tried to make that mod it's own game. None of them really seems to have hit the mark though like PUBG.

They just missed out in an easy trophy by doing the exact opposite of what you're supposed to.

There goes their 100% complete run.
I saw the trophy existed a while after I did that section. Then
there was a situation that sounded like a second chance at it, so I waited around for ages to get the trophy...but it didn't work!

Valtýr;234069695 said:
This isn't accurate in the slightest, btw. Waypoint Radio is great.

I mostly like the show. They are more like the Beastcast in the games they discuss than the Bombcast which is always a plus in my eyes. I don't even mind the Bastion fucks stuff. But the "Whoo hoo oh boy yup" stuff gets harder to ignore each episode.

And like I said, question bucket is great.

Strax

Well I guess your assumption is wrong then.

The BR mods for ARMA were big.Streamers immediately latched on to any game that tried to make that mod it's own game. None of them really seems to have hit the mark though like PUBG.

My assumption on my good grasp on video games is wrong?

We sometimes talk about GB being in a bubble but after some googling I think anybody claiming BR modes were big prior to PUBG are caught up in some hype or live in a bubble.

Just read the comments for the Beast in the East episode. I wish someone could go to the office, sit down, and show Dan how to lock on and evade.

Mupod

Just read the comments for the Beast in the East episode. I wish someone could go to the office, sit down, and show Dan how to lock on and evade.

I'm going to keep posting about Beast style ground grabs until he finds it. Obviously haven't watched this episode yet. I was quite happy when he accidentally found the spinning throw heat attack last time but I generally expect him to forget everything week by week.

Xater

My assumption on my good grasp on video games is wrong?

We sometimes talk about GB being in a bubble but after some googling I think anybody claiming BR modes were big prior to PUBG are caught up in some hype or live in a bubble.

Sure, if you want to believe the success of Battlegrounds just came out of nowhere.

If anything, the reverse should happen. Waypoint needs to analyse Tender Loving Care... I need to know what it all is supposed to mean.

Like, it really seems that old FMV games are just completely inscrutable. TLC, Phantasmagoria, that comic book one; I don't know how any of them ever got made. They're several orders of magnitude more bonkers than an average adventure game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom