• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to sound pithy and I'm not a software developer (so fuck me if I'm wrong), but at a certain point they should just be able to brute force emulators for PS1 and PS2. There's enough power in the fucking thing. Just do it and let people either use their discs and/or talk to the damn publishers and put entire catalogs up for sale.

Like, I kinda get (in a cynical way) how many HD remasters there have been. The last generation dragged on so long I'm sure tons of games were made with some high-res assets. That, and they can do a quick port job and get double dippers.

But 15+year old hardware? Just do it. Build that shit in to the OS FFS.

Seriously. I was able to emulate PS1 games on my PSP for christ sakes. They could realistically create an emulator app on the PS4 and sale games through there. If my PSP can run PS1 games, the ps4 can do ps1 and ps2 easily through brute force.

You can like what you like but something tells me the vaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority of PS4 players don't care about 99,99999999999% of PS1 and PS2 games.

I'm not against BC as it is a cool feature but I can see why a company would invest their money somewhere else instead.

Guess what: the majority of people dont care about anything until you market to them. Who the fuck cares about the new god of war right now? The first trailer they had for it didnt make me care, not until theres more details on it.

Thats Sonys job. They have a whole catalogue of PS1 and PS2 games that they can make money off. Theyre just being pedantic assholes. "Ancient graphics" gtfo out of here, Dead Cells has what you would call "ancient graphics" and yet its more fun than any of the over produced shit youve put out in recent years.

Joeku

You can like what you like but something tells me the vaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority of PS4 players don't care about 99,99999999999% of PS1 and PS2 games.

I'm not against BC as it is a cool feature but I can see why a company would invest their money somewhere else instead.

Xbox is proving that it's kind of worth it if you make a big enough deal about it.

But again, it really shouldn't be a tough sell for them to make emulators of this shit.

And for convenience's sake, I'd rather just pay $5 for THPS2 and be playing it three minutes later than having to download an emulator and pirate the fucking thing cuz my computer doesn't have a disc drive anymore.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Arms will be a game that there's 8,000 threads about how amazing and innovative it is on gaf(Because it's a Nintendo game) for the first week

Arms will be a game that won't even place in the top 10 GAF GOTY list.

Xbox is proving that it's kind of worth it if you make a big enough deal about it.

But again, it really shouldn't be a tough sell for them to make emulators of this shit.

And for convenience's sake, I'd rather just pay $5 for THPS2 and be playing it three minutes later than having to download an emulator and pirate the fucking thing cuz my computer doesn't have a disc drive anymore.

Right. With Xbox its become "preorder this and get the old game for free". Its become "play the original while you wait for the sequel!". It helps put the product in peoples mind. Being able to play Gears of War right before 4 came out was neat.

Hasney

Arms will be a game that there's 8,000 threads about how amazing and innovative it is on gaf(Because it's a Nintendo game) for the first week

Did you accidentally forget to post this when you were talking about ARMS last time and just have it there ready to submit?

Hindl

Both of those will probably happen. 10 loud Nintendo fans doesn't mean gaf as a whole is in love with the game

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Both of those will probably happen. 10 loud Nintendo fans doesn't mean gaf as a whole is in love with the game

No, I think a lot of people will be in love with it

for that one week. Honeymoon phase hits gamers hard and despite a lot of people on gaf acting like they dont buy into the hype, they definitely buy into that first week. Especially if it's first party.

Hindl

No, I think a lot of people will be in love with it

for that one week. Honeymoon phase hits gamers hard and despite a lot of people on gaf acting like they dont buy into the hype, they definitely buy into that first week. Especially if it's first party.

Yeah that's true. Specifically with Arms, the core game is surprisingly fun so that could get people talking about it. But fighting games in general pretty quickly whittle down to the core anyway, and I'm not sure it has the deep mechanics that keep other games going either. We'll see. I also see Splatoon 2 eating its lunch and taking a lot of the userbase even though they're two different types of games

Finally, back home. I don't know if a 5 hour trip from Brighton to Derby was that worth it to see Elton John yesterday, but it was a ton of fun. Exhausted. Time to catch up on BITE before Murder Island and I'll save UPF for tomorrow.
It's been four years since The Last of Us came out. Has it reached the point where everybody hates that game yet?
Everytime I think that I'm about to hate it, I remember the final scene(those notes)and the implications it leaves us with, makes me feel things. Then I remember why it will forever remain a masterpiece, the last act of the game is insane. For me, I'm only there for the story and characters. I can't wait to see where ND is going to take them in Part 2.
Danger Zone is bad.

Eh for the price it's alright. Average as fuck but alright, I had my fun with it.
Just finished Firewatch and wtf at that final act/ending?

I too was disappointed by the ending but I get what they were going for. It could have been executed better BUT the rest of the game is great.
every episode is a great episode
Truth.
Did people like jade Empire? I tried it awhile back but got bored as fuck by it.

I really enjoyed the 9 or so hours I spent with it back in the day but never got around to finishing it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sorry Dan
ysfEix-cXvh1aKCRLqSiqR3GDb1snJsNuO7e3tEqBo-1024x652.jpg

Yeah that's true. Specifically with Arms, the core game is surprisingly fun so that could get people talking about it. But fighting games in general pretty quickly whittle down to the core anyway, and I'm not sure it has the deep mechanics that keep other games going either. We'll see. I also see Splatoon 2 eating its lunch and taking a lot of the userbase even though they're two different types of games

I just dont think it should be 60 dollars with what its launching with as essentially a new IP with a team that's only made one kind of game for years/decades. 40 would be more than fine but I'm sure hte Nintendo clout and waifus will help carry it to sales on the initial week. I just wonder what the tail will be like. As a Switch game will it last compared to Mario Kart or Splatoon? If a rumored Smash Deluxe comes out, that'd also hurt it. I can't see it taking the Gundam crowd in Japan due to a lack of content and no arcade scene.

oti

Banned
Guess what: the majority of people dont care about anything until you market to them. Who the fuck cares about the new god of war right now? The first trailer they had for it didnt make me care, not until theres more details on it.

Thats Sonys job. They have a whole catalogue of PS1 and PS2 games that they can make money off. Theyre just being pedantic assholes. "Ancient graphics" gtfo out of here, Dead Cells has what you would call "ancient graphics" and yet its more fun than any of the over produced shit youve put out in recent years.

That's a terrible comparison.

People bought a PS4 to play PS4 games. Sure, there are some nostalgic games here and there that I'm sure some people would like to see or play again. And then there's the minority that wants full BC. That's fine too, every consumer is different. And Sony has decided to save the cost and go with what the majority wants. A few PS2 for PS4 titles here and there and that's it. I wonder if their PS Now faux-BC is even worth their investment into server structure right now. But that BC is not the real deal and they could always use those servers for other things in the future.

The guy's statement was about Gran Turismo on PS1 and PS2. Yes, those are ancient graphics nowadays and most people wouldn't even think about buying and playing them again when there's a new GT on the horizon. He didn't even talk about BC in general to begin with. So this whole anger over this statement is based on far less than "Sony hates BC and older ganes".

I'd want to see the revenue BC generates before making such a statement. Yes, Jeff and GB like it because of course they do. And it's a super cool feature. But other than CoD and it mostly seems to be a way to get people to pre-order games or get them digitally so they can get all Gears of War titles on top or promotions like that.

Hindl

Sorry Dan

I just dont think it should be 60 dollars with what its launching with as essentially a new IP with a team that's only made one kind of game for years/decades. 40 would be more than fine but I'm sure hte Nintendo clout and waifus will help carry it to sales on the initial week. I just wonder what the tail will be like. As a Switch game will it last compared to Mario Kart or Splatoon? If a rumored Smash Deluxe comes out, that'd also hurt it. I can't see it taking the Gundam crowd in Japan due to a lack of content and no arcade scene.

Yeah I can see your point. I think $40 would've been a great sweet spot. But then I look at 1st party new Nintendo IP, releasing right after E3, releasing in a window where there's not games in general but also where a major Switch game hasn't launched in over a month, and waifus, and Nintendo probably saw a chance to sell at $60. And given the relatively successful Testpunch they're probably right, I expect really good first week-two week sales. But yeah like you I want to see how long it'll last. I'm an admitted big Nintendo fan, but I bet if this were releasing in a more crowded time it would be overlooked, and once other games start coming out again people will stop playing it
What does Major Nelson actually do
He's PR mode Reggie (as opposed to Reggie's actual role of COO of NoA)

derFeef

Man, feels like everyone on GAF is cynical on everything MS does. Exchange their name and every single piece of their news would get hyped up without limits.

Man, feels like everyone on GAF is cynical on everything MS does. Exchange their name and every single piece of their news would get hyped up without limits.

The Xbox One is my main console even though I own'em all. It's mostly just preference(like to party chat with friends/family). For me though, I just want games. Specifically new IPs. I hope they don't disappoint.

TraBuch

Banned
Don Mattrick really did a number.

And honestly, Phil Spencer comes off as really phony to me. Like a shady used car salesman. He talks a big game, but doesn't really seem to come through.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I honestly dont feel one way or the other about what MS does this generation

like they're basically dropped off the race to me. To be fair, the other consoles aren't that far behind to me. I spend 90% of my time on PC this gen

imBask

Banned

like they're basically dropped off the race to me. To be fair, the other consoles aren't that far behind to me. I spend 90% of my time on PC this gen

well there's a chance they are about to mess everything up with the half step garbage and Sony will surely follow them blindly

"If we can't win, everyone loses"

Hasney

Well the cancelled 2 of the 3 things they had that interested me and if I want to use my Windows Store purchases I'll have to reformat my PC. For the third time. I'll be less cynical if they announce something new, it actually comes out and that I'll be able to ensure my next reformat is the last.

derFeef

Don Mattrick really did a number.

And honestly, Phil Spencer comes off as really phony to me. Like a shady used car salesman. He talks a big game, but doesn't really seem to come through.

To me feels like 90% of things he said were made true, or made it through. If MS sticks their weird polocies on top of those things is another story. Like he made the PC game promise true, but the Windows store and everything surrounding it makes it feel worthless. But it it's not.

edit: My school English is escaping me today, sorry.

Tagyhag

It's funny, that's basically what happened to Giant Bomb in general.

Almost a decade ago, they wouldn't be caught dead without a 360, and the only one who really talked about PC games was Dave and sometimes Vinny.

Now, when was the last time you heard them talk about playing on the Xbox?

Wonder how different it'd be if Ryan was still around. Would he have embraced the PC like the others or stuck to the Xbox or maybe moved fully to Sony?

...Wish we could have known :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
and practically everything phil spencer has said has been hot air so far. it just feels like big talk that means nothing until he shows otherwise

oti

Banned

I don't know if I'd agree. People love the BC, they defend the Game Pass service in the thread about that weird article criticising it.
But announcing Phantom Dust when that game didn't really exist? Cancelling Fable after trying to turn it into a service nobody wanted? Cancelling Scalebound after years of development and by that cancelling Platinum's new game, a developer many people here love and that usually delivers high quality games?

It's not difficult to see why people might be vary on Xbox. And that's on them. It'll take time to build up trust again. That's a challenge every company or brand in every industry has to face.

Hindl

Maybe I'm gullible but I think Phil Spencer means well and wants to do everything he says. But Microsoft as a whole doesn't really give a shit about Xbox and higher-ups are always shooting down his ideas as either too much money or a waste of effort. He seems like an earnest guy who's handcuffed by bureaucracy
Hopefully they can at least make it clear when the fucking VR section has ended.
Yeah people rip on Jeff for the whole 2016 conference, but I agree with him for that conference in particular. There was no flow and half the time they'd play one trailer and then start up the next one and I wouldn't realize I was looking at a different game for half the trailer. And the weird VR section in the middle needed someone up there to talk about it.

Aselith

I don't know if I'd agree. People love the BC, they defend the Game Pass service in the thread about that weird article criticising it.
But announcing Phantom Dust when that game didn't really exist? Cancelling Fable after trying to turn it into a service nobody wanted? Cancelling Scalebound after years of development and by that cancelling Platinum's new game, a developer many people here love and that usually delivers high quality games?

It's not difficult to see why people might be vary on Xbox. And that's on them. It'll take time to build up trust again. That's a challenge every company or brand in every industry has to face.

Ehhh maybe 50-50?

oti

Banned
Ehhh maybe 50-50?

Ha, I'm not their biggest fan but people seem to love them. As far as I know I've never really heard bad things about Platinum as a developer from other publishers either. They made Wonderful 101, it tanked horribly and yet they have a solid relationship with Nintendo. I'm sure Platinum has a huge developer network in Japan and the way their deal with MS went must have done thing even worse for them in Japan.

But to go back to the games. I liked Rising and Bayonetta, loved Bayonetta 2, didn't like Wonderful 101 at all.

Curufinwe

Maybe I'm gullible but I think Phil Spencer means well and wants to do everything he says. But Microsoft as a whole doesn't really give a shit about Xbox and higher-ups are always shooting down his ideas as either too much money or a waste of effort. He seems like an earnest guy who's handcuffed by bureaucracy

I mean, it can't be easy to get the kind of investment you need to make great new exclusives. And even if you did, game development takes years.

The big Sony exclusives so far this year apart from Horizon & MLB were all third party - Yakuza, Nioh, Nier, Persona 5. It's hard to complete with that type of external software support when the Xbox brand is dead in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom