• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

imBask

Banned
VR is amazing tech.

Awful software.

It needed a Mario 64 to justify the tech.

Amazing tech doesn't make half the people who use it feel like trash for hours tho

and also amazing tech doesn't reach anyone at that pricepoint, and software doesn't get made when nobody owns the tech

Hasney

Amazing tech doesn't make half the people who use it feel like trash for hours tho

and also amazing tech doesn't reach anyone at that pricepoint, and software doesn't get made when nobody owns the tech

I thought I was invincible considering I was fine with Driveclub. Travkmania Turbo did weird things to me though.

That Playroom game actually wasn't a bad little mini-showcase for VR.

maxresdefault.jpg
It definitely was the best thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Obviously other people and metacritic probably disagree with me but so far nothing in 2017 has touched me as much as 2016

that three way combo of Titanfall 2, Overwatch and Doom
😚

TraBuch

Banned
Obviously other people and metacritic probably disagree with me but so far nothing in 2017 has touched me as much as 2016

that three way combo of Titanfall 2, Overwatch and Doom
😚
Just wait until The New Colossus has a surprise 2017 release.

jbug617

Banned
Best part of the Giantbomb watching the Sony Conference last year was Boyes and Dan's discussion on why he didn't like the conference.

yami4ct

Not really. It's only started.
I would expect VR from both Sony and MS.

Sony will give it a token 'yeah we're still doing this' vita like 5 minute trailer with maybe 3 bad looking indie games.

Microsoft will mention that Scorpio can do it but not focus on it.

Ubisoft will have 1-2 really weird looking VR games.

Tech is dead dead overall.

Bethesda will be showing Fallout 4 VR, so that could be cool.

It's far from dead. Apple just announced their VR initiative. Would love more big-publisher support but there are indie games coming out all the time, including some really awesome stuff.

yami4ct

Bethesda will be showing Fallout 4 VR, so that could be cool.

It's far from dead. Apple just announced their VR initiative. Would love more big-publisher support but there are indie games coming out all the time, including some really awesome stuff.

Mobile VR still has a chance, but it'll end up being a gimmick packed in with phones that most people use, get sick once off of bad software and never touch again.

Core VR is going nowhere.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm kind of curious about Assassin's Creed but the fact that they're going back to the boat stuff makes me not as much.

Loved Syndicate. Probably my 2nd favorite AC behind 2.

Sony will give it a token 'yeah we're still doing this' vita like 5 minute trailer with maybe 3 bad looking indie games.

Microsoft will mention that Scorpio can do it but not focus on it.

Ubisoft will have 1-2 really weird looking VR games.

Tech is dead dead overall.

Yeah no the tech isn't dead at all. Keep in mind that Valve is developing three games for it, Bethesda is making a Fallout 4 version that can run on it, some of the most exciting titles like Budget Cuts haven't come out yet. Even outside of gaming, the simulation company I work at just ordered 10 headsets for a massive contract based around VR. Google is behind it, Apple just dedicated time to it in their press conference, companies like Nvidia are doing lots of research into stuff like foveated rendering, companies like intel, Samsung, Microsoft are all looking to release headsets.

Just because the hardware is new and still expensive doesn't mean it's dead. A lot of shortcomings of the hardware is still being ironed out, like fov and resolution issues, lack of wireless capability, full body tracking solutions, refresh rate, eye tracking, inside out vs external tracking. The hardware is new and still very much in the early adopter stage.

Yeah no the tech isn't dead at all. Keep in mind that Valve is developing three games for it, Bethesda is making a Fallout 4 version that can run on it, some of the most exciting titles like Budget Cuts haven't come out yet. Even outside of gaming, the simulation company I work at just ordered 10 headsets for a massive contract based around VR. Google is behind it, Apple just dedicated time to it in their press conference, companies like Nvidia are doing lots of research into stuff like foveated rendering, companies like intel, Samsung, Microsoft are all looking to release headsets.

Just because the hardware is new and still expensive doesn't mean it's dead.

Not to mention the fact that wireless PC VR is coming this year, with foveated rendering and VR-optimized displays rolling out next year. Next gen of VR headsets are going to fucking incredible.

Hindl

Even if VR continues to limp into nothingness as another gaming fad, it'll live on in enterprise. The potential it has to change architecture, medicine, and other fields is massive. I expect VR to go down the HoloLens route and mostly be marketed for big corporations, not fans

yami4ct

Even if VR continues to limp into nothingness as another gaming fad, it'll live on in enterprise. The potential it has to change architecture, medicine, and other fields is massive. I expect VR to go down the HoloLens route and mostly be marketed for big corporations, not fans

Sure, but I think the product that really takes off on that end is going to be a version of the AR tech and not VR. Good AR can theoretically accomplish both AR and VR tasks and is much more fitting for those scenarios.

TraBuch

Banned
On the one hand, Tales from the Borderlands 2 has allegedly leaked and fuck yeah that first game was fantastic. In the other hand, apparently most of the people that worked in the first game have moved on to other studios?

Hm. I'm not sure if I'm excited or not.

yami4ct

On the one hand, Tales from the Borderlands 2 has allegedly leaked and fuck yeah that first game was fantastic. In the other hand, apparently most of the people that worked in the first game have moved on to other studios?

Hm. I'm not sure if I'm excited or not.

I don't think it was most. It was 1-2 directors and a writer I think? Still concerning, but not to the point where I'd write off a season 2 at all yet.

Hasney

I'm kind of curious about Assassin's Creed but the fact that they're going back to the boat stuff makes me not as much.

Loved Syndicate. Probably my 2nd favorite AC behind 2.

I still need to play Syndicate, but I've only ever liked Brotherhood and Black Flag so I'm not sure.

I don't think Ubi gets that it's not boat stuff people liked about Black Flag but Pirate stuff.

I still need to play Syndicate, but I've only ever liked Brotherhood and Black Flag so I'm not sure.

I don't think Ubi gets that it's not boat stuff people liked about Black Flag but Pirate stuff.

There needs to be more pirate games. Bring back that cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean game! I want a fantasy pirates game, where like krakens and sirens and all that is real.

Ugh, out of all the days this month, I have to report for jury duty next monday. Right in the middle of when the press conferences are gonna be, god dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom