• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Scorpio could be $200. If it doesn't have good exclusive games no one will give a shit

200? Nah. People would buy that. 200 is too good of a price. It's absolutely horrendous business wise though. Might as well throw money out the window.

Hindl

That is not true at all. Exclusives help, Yes, but The main drivers for this generation have been Multiplatform games that have been on both platforms (Destiny, GTA V, FIFA, Call Of Duty, Madden, Battlefield, Division). If you can have a cheap console and say the those games look best on our platform, people will care.
200? Nah. People would buy that. 200 is too good of a price. It's absolutely horrendous business wise though. Might as well throw money out the window.
Ok $200 was an exaggeration. But undercutting the Pro isn't going to be enough. If this was the beginning of the gen I'd agree. But at this point Sony is firmly entrenched as the dominant place to play console games, exclusives or multiplatform. Anyone looking for a console will probably go for whatever their friends have, which odds say is a PS4. Sony also has all of those marketing deals for third parties and I don't see MS being able to cut into it when Sony has really positioned themselves in the market. Also, Scorpio/PS4 Pro are niche products for enthusiasts, the general crowd isn't going to care if the Scorpio looks nice, they'll just get the XB1 S. Especially since a lot of people don't have 4K TVs anyway

Mods changed the title too it was originally something like "Waypoint's poorly researched article"

Gonna be fascinating to see how MS actually positions the Scorpio.

Being the most expensive and most powerful hasn't been a recipe for success yet.

Even if they go for 399 Sony will undercut them and PS4 pro will be 349 and PS4 standard will be at least 299 if not lower, ala 279. (249 seems too much, it took ages and the cheapest super slim PS3 last gen to hit those prices)

PS4 was just a super rare case where the most powerful console was also the cheapest and power probably played a very small part in its success. MS going all in on POWER!!! just seems like a weird bet.

And yeah. They need fresh 1th party exclusives. MS can always toss money around 3rd parties and get some attention but in the end Titanfall, Tomb Raider and Dead Rising hurt those franchises more then anything. MS needs to invest in first party. They need a new hotness on the level of Gears of War. They need to take one of their A teams and tell them to make something new.

Also gonna be interesting to see how they treat the current XB1 from here on out. Scorpio already feels a bit like a stealth replacement. I guess its gonna depend on sales I guess.

imBask

Banned
i'm still hoping for MS to completely fumble the Scorpio presentation and get undercut by Sony by $50 a day later

not because I hate MS or like Sony, but because I really love me a good old fashion E3 hot-mess

Hindl

i'm still hoping for MS to completely fumble the Scorpio presentation and get undercut by Sony by $50 a day later

not because I hate MS or like Sony, but because I really love me a good old fashion E3 hot-mess

I'm not sure they'll fumble Scorpio, but I think Sony will definitely undercut it. That totally fits with Sony's MO in recent E3s. It's the type of ruthlessness that I like. Hell, I'd say Sony cut the PS4 Pro to $350 even if the Scorpio comes in at $500

I want MS to succeed. I am rooting for them because there's nothing more I love than some good ass competition. I want MS to get that jab and I want Sony to jab right back which is all beneficial to us consumers in the end. Nintendo doesn't give a fuck because they do their own thing, which is also great.

robotrock

Banned

This wouldn't be a hot mess, it would just be boring.

I want MS to succeed. I am rooting for them because there's nothing more I love than some good ass competition. I want MS to get that jab and I want Sony to jab right back which is all beneficial to us consumers. Nintendo doesn't give a fuck because they do their own thing, which is great.

Yeah totally. I don't own an Xbox One and will probably never buy a Scorpio but I definitely want them to succeed for the sake of competition.

PS4 price drop will probably happen in a few months.

I bet we see it in time for Destiny 2.

Sony has never done price cuts at E3. Doesnt really make sense to cut the price in the dead of summer. Do it when games are back out.

imBask

Banned
Sony had a Kickstarter project on stage. And a game that'll never ever come out on that same stage

This is one of the only time I will defend Patrick Klepek and Waypoint, it's spot on

oti

Banned
Same. Cutthroat competition is better than what we have now.

What do you think would be different if there wasn't a clear winner? Sony is still developing a ton of exclusive games out of their studios, MS is still paying a ton of money for deals.

I'm always amused by what people perceive as competition. Competition doesn't just stop or dissappear. It's always there. Even now.

Curufinwe

Same. Cutthroat competition is better than what we have now.

One company being in the lead doesn't mean there isn't cutthroat competition. It just means consumers made their choice.

No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

One company being in the lead doesn't mean there isn't cutthroat competition. It just means consumers made their choice.

There is but it isn't as intense. We need it to be intense, like it's on fire or someshit. At the moment people talk about playing Xbox One games on PC more than Xbox One.

e: Just to clarify, MS's console should have more weight and sway people. If it does that then Sony would be doing even more to sway people so it's like this back and forth thing of trying to please the consumer as much as possible.

imBask

Banned
.eJwNy0EKwjAQAMC_5ODNZJPNdrOFIor_KDWJFpGk2CgF8e869_mo1_OhejW3tqy9MWuspeXS9Lbp6yWmoktu5m2a1bAXY4M46AhHDtZxcD6wRRAa0aO3jNR5ZC_EHbmx6PtyO9R54AkkMTPEmDEFSyGDTJSA_hcj7GoeSM4ncnJU3x9zACjN.ABCqCL95o0T2rTqIO0GIb9OXV6g

Another Xbox, another halo

- J - D -

What do you think would be different if there wasn't a clear winner? Sony is still developing a ton of exclusive games out of their studios, MS is still paying a ton of money for deals.

I'm always amused by what people perceive as competition. Competition doesn't just stop or dissappear. It's always there. Even now.

Competition is always there, but I'm talking about degrees of intensity. I thought the PS4 Pro was emblematic of the hunger not being there for Sony. The messaging was lazy and the support was shaky and they coasted.

pizzacat

Banned
If it wasn't for Japanese devs being stubborn I wouldn't have a ps4

Let it be Sony or MS

The ones on top always fucking sucks

Who the fuck makes a ost exclusive to its console? Or patches? Even for a certain amount of time it's so dumb, ms or sony

Exclusivity is a business sure, but the posters in this forum that talk highly of it and are like "OH THIS IS A BIG GET FOR SO AND SO" are fucking weirdos, it's literally a negative for people who play games

Not to mention everyone having a sub a to play online now lol and sometimes they up the price and give no actual reason why lul

Hindl

A spot on example of why facts matter more than feelings.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373448&page=1

msoftally2jqv.png

sonyallr4syn.png
That completely misses the point of the article. Bulk stats like that are worthless because it's propped up by Sony announcing stuff like Bound, Knack, Infamous, etc. That article is talking about the showstoppers that Sony has announced recently that are all barely past the conceptual stage.

To drive the point home, take FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 out of Sony's E3 2015 conference. That conference is now good, not "Year of Dreams" "Best conference ever". And that's the point. Sony consistently makes these massive fan wet dream announcements to take their (already good) press conferences over the top and get lavished with praise, even though those games barely exist. It's fine, E3 is all about the marketing, but it's also fair to call that tactic out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I still dont understand the appeal of the Scorpio

Going by its components, that things not going to be much cheaper than a good PC that can play all that shit and more. If you're someone who cares about 'constantly upgrading your console' guess what? They got one of those. It's called a personal computer. And it doesnt charge you to matchmake on it

Hindl

Going by its components, that things not going to be much cheaper than a good PC that can play all that shit and more. If you're someone who cares about 'constantly upgrading your console' guess what? They got one of those. It's called a personal computer. And it doesnt charge you to matchmake on it
PCs still make people feel weird for some reason. Like that's too 'high-tech' or something. Plus most of them probably already have a laptop that they like just fine

Zornack

That completely misses the point of the article. Bulk stats like that are worthless because it's propped up by Sony announcing stuff like Bound, Knack, Infamous, etc. That article is talking about the showstoppers that Sony has announced recently that are all barely past the conceptual stage.

To drive the point home, take FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 out of Sony's E3 2015 conference. That conference is now good, not "Year of Dreams" "Best conference ever". And that's the point. Sony consistently makes these massive fan wet dream announcements to take their (already good) press conferences over the top and get lavished with praise, even though those games barely exist. It's fine, E3 is all about the marketing, but it's also fair to call that tactic out.

TLG and Horizon were both announced at E3 2015, plus there was an extensive game play demo of Uncharted 4. Even without FF7 and Shenmue Sony's E3 was fantastic.

They also had the announcement of Hitman, which I hear turned out to be pretty good.

Scorpio will be 399. Thats a decent price for what it is.

And its 2017. No one but nerdy ass nerds buy desktop PC's let alone build gaming PCs.

Tagyhag

No cool person cares about the power of their gaming system.

If someone buys a Scorpio because it's more powerful then they're a nerd. Same for the Pro.

WE ALL NERDS UP IN HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom