• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

TLG and Horizon were both announced at E3 2015, plus there was an extensive game play demo of Uncharted 4. Even without FF7 and Shenmue Sony's E3 was fantastic.

They also had the announcement of Hitman, which turned out to be pretty good.
I didn't mention TLG or Horizon because Sony did those right. So without FF7 and Shenmue you get for Sony E3 2015:
TLG
Horizon
Uncharted 4 demo
Hitman
SFV news
more NMS
Destiny stuff
Morpheus

So new IP from Guerilla, new Hitman, and the latest updates for popular franchises like Hitman, SF, Destiny, and Uncharted, and then the TLG reveal. That's a good/great conference, could possibly be amazing if you're a huge TLG fan. But if you aren't, then this is a good/great conference. It's nowhere close to being the greatest conference ever, which is what people are calling it based on the additional announcement of two games that again, still barely seem like they're in production. That's the point. Sony consistently pushes their good/great conferences into a "Best ever" tier by announcing games that are barely games at that point. If you like those announcements more power to you. But that doesn't mean everyone is on board for it.

It's 2017

most kids are nerdy ass nerds.

Nerds in the sense they have marvel stickers on the back of their macbooks.

The idea of the family computer that everyone had in the late 90's,- early 00's seems dead and that was the gateway. I dont know how new people get into that scene now.

Zornack

I didn't mention TLG or Horizon because Sony did those right. So without FF7 and Shenmue you get for Sony E3 2015:
TLG
Horizon
Uncharted 4 demo
Hitman
SFV news
more NMS
Destiny stuff
Morpheus

So new IP from Guerilla, new Hitman, and the latest updates for popular franchises like Hitman, SF, Destiny, and Uncharted, and then the TLG reveal. That's a good/great conference, could possibly be great if you're a huge TLG fan. But if you aren't, then this is a good/great conference. It's nowhere close to being the greatest conference ever, which is what people are calling it based on the additional announcement of two games that again, still barely seem like they're in production.

Two games which people have dreamed about and all but written off, three if you count TLG. Great conference + dream games = best conference ever. Yeah if someone doesn't care about those games but loves say Zelda and Mario then of course they'll disagree and prefer maybe the Twilight Princess one.

But if not Sony's E3 2015 then which conference is the best of all time?

daveo42

Banned
If the article was about volume of games shown, then he'd be wrong. But its about Sony blowing their game load years before we'll ever see these games release. So many of their games are getting debuted 2-3 years before they come out, which lets you get excited for the game, but then you can expect to see it every conference in the future till release. Or you get people questioning if we'll get anything new. Look at KH and FFVIIR as specific examples in recent years that were announced with trailers and then disappeared with no solid release window and are probably still 1-2 years off.

oti

Banned
Competition is always there, but I'm talking about degrees of intensity. I thought the PS4 Pro was emblematic of the hunger not being there for Sony. The messaging was lazy and the support was shaky and they coasted.

"degree of intensity" is too wishy-washy for me. :p
There's still competition happening, day in and day out. Competition only stops when there is no competition. MS hasn't exited the market so competition is alive and well.

Does a company invest less if they're #1? Sure. That's the goal after all. Invest heavily at the beginning, gain market share, generate revenue, lower the costs. That's healthy business. Invest too little though and you'll pay the price. I don't see that happening at all with Sony though. They know Playstation is their most popular brand, CEO Hirai was the former head of Playstation as well and knows the games business. It's important for Sony proper and it's handled that way.

The funny thing about competition in general is, that it has changed. It's not only about competing for a consumer's momey but also for their time. In that way Sony does not only compete with MS or Nintendo but with every other media company out there.

So, don't worry. There is competition. It's fine.

The Last Guardian is one of those games in which the mere act of finishing it means you love it.

The pacing is such that you would've quit long ago if you didn't enjoy the mechanics and atmosphere.

Zornack

oh my god how many years are they going to say "e3 is trying to figure out what it'll be!!!"

It's a series of hype conferences where they announce some new shit and then show some of it to people.

- J - D -

"degree of intensity" is too wishy-washy for me. :p
There's still competition happening, day in and day out. Competition only stops when there is no competition. MS hasn't exited the market so competition is alive and well.

Does a company invest less if they're #1? Sure. That's the goal after all. Invest heavily at the beginning, gain market share, generate revenue, lower the costs. That's healthy business. Invest too little though and you'll pay the price. I don't see that happening at all with Sony though. They know Playstation is their most popular brand, CEO Hirai was the former head of Playstation as well and knows the games business. It's important for Sony proper and it's handled that way.

The funny thing about competition in general is, that it has changed. It's not only about competing for a consumer's momey but also for their time. In that way Sony does not only compete with MS or Nintendo but with every other media company out there.

So, don't worry. There is competition. It's fine.

Are you disagreeing with me or agreeing? I can't tell.

Tracygill

Scorpio will be 399. Thats a decent price for what it is.

And its 2017. No one but nerdy ass nerds buy desktop PC's let alone build gaming PCs.
The PC platform is more popular and mainstream in China and Europe than in the United States.

superdata-year-in-revfgubx.png

XFEiWT8.png

daveo42

Banned
oh my god how many years are they going to say "e3 is trying to figure out what it'll be!!!"

It's a series of hype conferences where they announce some new shit and then show some of it to people.

It's way more about when will publishers and developers go the Nintendo route of just releasing a video instead of holding a briefing live and the show floor becomes just like another PAX. Technically, the show floor itself is nearly there as is and all the new stuff is held behind closed doors. At some point the expense to show up and put on a big production is outweighed by smaller industry only events that happen during the year.

- J - D -

Depends on how you look at things, I guess. ☺️
When it comes to the PS4 Pro, if MS had released a similar upgrade in 2016, it would have been the same, most likely.

The hardware would've been the same, but not the messaging. There's no way. I mean, no one would say that how Sony pitched and marketed the PS4 Pro was the best way to go about it.

Zornack

It's way more about when will publishers and developers go the Nintendo route of just releasing a video instead of holding a briefing live and the show floor becomes just like another PAX. Technically, the show floor itself is nearly there as is and all the new stuff is held behind closed doors. At some point the expense to show up and put on a big production is outweighed by smaller industry only events that happen during the year.

Nintendo only changed their routine after their console completely flopped in the regions E3 is relevant in. I don't see Sony or Microsoft doing the same.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know you'd think with the idea of 4 close friends that aren't interchangeable in FFXV and lots of running/driving that you cant do ANYTHING during

you'd think they would talk more

Hindl

I don't ever see MS or Sony moving toward the Nintendo direct route. Well, ever is a strong word, but I just don't think it'll benefit them the same way it does for Nintendo. Sony and MS, despite their occasional missteps, are pretty good at consistently putting on a quality stage show. Nintendo isn't, so they just decided to stop trying

oti

Banned
The hardware would've been the same, but not the messaging. There's no way. I mean, no one would say that how Sony pitched and marketed the PS4 Pro was the best way to go about it.

The messaging? Sure. I don't really remember what the issue was though. I remember when Phil Spencer said "don't get Scorpio if you don't have a 4K TV" but they've moved back on that. And once Scorpio is out nobody will care. I don't think the initial messaging for these boxes is that important. They're beefed up version of what we already have after all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wow, that was a horrible song. I'm really glad I don't pay attention to music now a days, because every time I hear it, it's absolute garbage

Personally I am putting my money on "Xbox 6" because of the teraflops and because 6 is a bigger number then 4 and in 2 years its still bigger then 5.

daveo42

Banned
Modern Green Day songs suck and their inclusion on a Kidz Bop album highlights that.

I don't ever see MS or Sony moving toward the Nintendo direct route. Well, ever is a strong word, but I just don't think it'll benefit them the same way it does for Nintendo. Sony and MS, despite their occasional missteps, are pretty good at consistently putting on a quality stage show. Nintendo isn't, so they just decided to stop trying

They may still host a show, but will it be at E3 if it becomes another PAX-style event? As well, Sony seems to be hosting less of a show each year and "let the games speak for themselves" and do more of their heavy stage shows at PSX or other events during the year. Idk, I can see both of them slowly backing out and either doing their own events or moving towards pre-cut content for their releases.

And E3 is totally becoming another PAX conference.

Curufinwe

Sweet double whammy of GB East and West railing on physical media... Thanks Abby and Alex.

I went digital with some PS4 stuff, but with two people using two PS4s in the house and the 20% off at Amazon & Best Buy, it's much easier and cheaper to go physical for most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom