• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

BTA

I guess it's the "lying" part that I've always been torn on. Like, a massive fuck-up? Absolutely. They set incorrect expectations with their grand visions of the game and the sheepish / teasing "well... maybe... I don't want to say" stuff regarding specific features, and they failed to dispel those notions in the lead up to launch. It's a perfect example of why it's important for gaming storefronts to offer refunds, and people who went that route (when available) were entirely justified in doing so.

Still, it never read as malicious to me. I've never bought the "Scheming Sean" narrative that they intentionally misrepresented the game to get more sales; it really seemed to me that they simply got in over their heads, which is why I'm willing to forgive as long as they make good (which they appear to be).

Edit: I still don't understand why Sony would back them so heavily but not assign some marketing person to the team to reign in the messaging.

Oh, yeah, to be clear- I totally don't think they were outright malicious or scheming or deserved even a small percentage of the weird hate campaign that erupted after the game released.

I am just as confused as to why Sony seemingly didn't try to keep things under control, despite a lot of the promotional stuff that people bought into without looking into the game more being at Sony events, and then threw them under the bus.

isDft0D.png

Since we're speaking of GOTY, does it feel like no else besides Jeff finished Horizon, and everyone else has expressed some variation of "I stopped playing after a while".

I tried really hard to get into horizon. I played a good solid 6 hours and never clicked with me

They set incorrect expectations [...] and they failed to dispel those notions in the lead up to launch.

That's called lying. You don't get to hide behind "we were out of our depth" when you're charging 60 bucks and you've got Sony behind you. I don't know or care if it's a result or malice or incompetence. But let's just call it what it is.

pizzacat

Banned
the way some people acted because they didnt get exactly what they wanted from nms was super disgusting and anyone who wants to justify that is a pos

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
the way some people acted because they didnt get exactly what they wanted from nms was super disgusting and anyone who wants to justify that is a pos

"Man, this game is super disappointing, what the fuck?" - Okay
"Man, the developers deserve to die, I'm gonna walk to their studio to see if they are still working on the game" - Not gonna

no one here is justifying that. "They lied" and "some people reacted like garbage humans" are not mutually exclusive facts my dude. But this being the internet of course it's one or the other. If you criticize Hello Games, you're with the gamergaters.

daveo42

Banned
That's called lying. You don't get to hide behind "we were out of our depth" when you're charging 60 bucks and you've got Sony behind you. I don't know or care if it's a result or malice or incompetence. But let's just call it what it is.

Sony turned NMS into a flagship game with a major physical release without actually giving them much support outside of giving them a prominent stage spot at each Sony event for several years. Not sure what the actual deal was behind the scenes, but Sony clearly decided to turn what should have been a nice indie game into one of its premiere titles without any of the actual benefits that could have helped them.

pizzacat

Banned
no one here is justifying that. "They lied" and "some people reacted like garbage humans" are not mutually exclusive facts my dude. But this being the internet of course it's one or the other. If you criticize Hello Games, you're with the gamergaters.

????

who said anything about anyone here

i would have just said their username and not just sorta beat around the bush with it, what am i? DanLongman?

hate on them all you want bud sorry for expressing my opinion that a developer shouldn't be thrown death threats and the such because their game didnt cure me of my boredom

????

who said anything about anyone here

i would have just said their username and not just sorta beat around the bush with it, what am i? DanLongman?

hate on them all you want bud sorry for expressing my opinion that a developer shouldn't be thrown death threats and the such because their game didnt cure me of my boredom

It's kind of weird to bring something like that up when we're talking about the topic and then say it's not actually about anyone here. Maybe take a step back and look at how that comes across in context.

Rainmaker

Banned
I've never really understood the appeal of filming the podcasts. The whole draw of the 'casts, to me, is that I can listen to them while doing other things, such as playing games.

If I have the time I like to watch them. I don't think having the option to watch hurts anyone. The audio version would still exist.

If you had to pick a current GBE feature to call the worst, what would it be if not Blue Bombin'? I think 5 has been great so far, but SMS and Exquisite Corps beat it out.

personally I think Exquisite Corps is the worst for me, (unless we get to add bring your b game but that is on hiatus atm) It comes down to not having any affinity at all for xcom i think.

Blue bombin is great 'cause I love Mega man and the discussions are wonderful

robotrock

Banned
It's kind of weird to bring something like that up when we're talking about the topic and then say it's not actually about anyone here. Maybe take a step back and look at how that comes across in context.

weren't they talking about it on the bombcast this week?

edit: also just brought up on today's beastcast

Hasney

Only gonna catch an hour of Blue Bombin' today. Then New Legacy Inc are starting 31 different games Royal Rumbles and raising money for a cancer charity. Should be fun!

pizzacat

Banned

speaking of the negative backlash of nms going too far when the thread is talking about the backlash of nms in general is seemingly out of context?

i truly am sorry if you think i was indirectly calling you out but like i said i would have said your name theres like 17 people here in this thread max would have been kinda awkward if was to not do that

That's fine. I told people that if the opening areas didn't grab you, then no point in continuing. I really loved it.

Totally its a game I wish I could get more into as it is so beautiful. And a game I can totally understand people's love for.

robotrock

Banned
I don't play old games too often but are people bothered by the fact there's no 4:3 option in the new Megaman Legacy Collection? It's only offers pixel perfect, big mode, and then stretched.

It annoys me a fair bit after playing a lot of the first Legacy Collection in 4:3

Hasney

Wait, was MM10 the really hard one?

Nah, they made it more accessible than 9 even.

When 9 came out, it was "hard" because there wasn't many 2D platformers like that out for current consoles. And it was harder than most games around at the time, but had nothing on the NES.

I had heard that was easier than 9.

I found it to be MUCH harder. I got farther in 9 than I ever did the old Mega Man games other than 4. MM9 wasn't that bad until the yellow devil blob, which always made me use up too many E tanks. I couldn't beat the MM10 boss rush machine, which I think was the very first Wily Castle boss.

Mupod

I tried watching the XCOM thing but people dashing into the fog of war on the last turn is hell on my nerves. Oh god.

Top Bottom