• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

It's the least surprising thing

i guess with the story stuff but he doesn't mind the other games even when those stories sucked. Seems like the combat was the crutch for those which is questionable at best.

When he said "the combat's boring, there's no leveling up" i burst out laughing. This man is so bad at talking about games.

seems very Game informer tbh, kinda like how Jeff , Brad and Alex still have some Gamespot in them.

huh Vinny isn't at PAX this year

Yea he mentioned he's gonna have his vacation around that time.

speaking of night in the woods I haven't played it yet but my daughter is and her minute by minute updates to me are pretty great
Probally a spoiler
MEdgBqS.png

tesqui

Dan didn't even get to the first boss fight in Hellblade. It sounds like he played 20 minutes then bailed. I also wasn't really feeling it at the beginning, but I think it does get better and more engaging when you get to the boss battles. There's also a fighting mechanic that gets introduced that makes the combat a bit more fun.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I've spent the last 3 hours trying to install that god damn Nvidia experience thing and it's driving me crazy so I'm watching Bradth of the Wild again to calm me down.
I need a follow up to that.

Ashby

speaking of night in the woods I haven't played it yet but my daughter is and her minute by minute updates to me are pretty great
Probally a spoiler

Hah! I saw an earlier picture you posted of your daughter and she looked around 10? I assume that means Night in the Woods is appropriate for that age group? I was actually thinking of getting it for my niece since she's a big reader but for whatever reason assumed the game would have too much adult content.

Jeff is so happy in this PUBG TNT. Yeah, there's no way its not GOTY.

I don't want it to win but it's going to win, for sure. Like they were talking about wanting to play when they return back home.
Dan didn't even get to the first boss fight in Hellblade. It sounds like he played 20 minutes then bailed. I also wasn't really feeling it at the beginning, but I think it does get better and more engaging when you get to the boss battles. There's also a fighting mechanic that gets introduced that makes the combat a bit more fun.
I don't know, I was riveted from the opening frames thanks to the sound mixing. Maybe he played it without headphones(I tried both) and man does it make a difference playing with a headphone because the sound mixing feels like an assault on the senses as I previously mentioned. It really puts you into the mindset of the character from the get go.
Probally a spoiler
lol, so adorable. I love Night in the Woods.

Telfo

I keep meaning to play Night in the Woods and get distracted by other things. Gonna finish Hellblade and then jump into it

Can anyone think of any other games where Dan's talked about enjoying the story? Metal Gear Solid shit makes sense for two primary reasons: It's the exact type of shit teen boys would like ("Cool dudes", attractive women, over the top action, a layer of political intrigue that would seem cool to a teen) and timed out to hit Dan right in the golden age of 14-17.

LiK

"Semen always wins." Amazing.

Dan said Rez isn't much of a game. WTF Dan. It's a RAIL SHOOTER. Do you consider Starfox or Panzer Dragoon a game too?

Hah! I saw an earlier picture you posted of your daughter and she looked around 10? I assume that means Night in the Woods is appropriate for that age group? I was actually thinking of getting it for my niece since she's a big reader but for whatever reason assumed the game would have too much adult content.

She's just shy of 13 and some of it may be a bit above her level, but we've never sheltered her from Adult content just discussed it with her and made sure she was comfortable and understood what was happening and difference between reality and fantasy but YMMV

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
My niece keeps playing Super Mario Run somewhere in the house and she hates it so much, it's incredible.
She's 8 so she doesn't even think about stopping and doing something she likes and my god, she hates this game with a passion I've never seen before. The game actually get's kinda hard later on and typically when you play a game with her you have to invent all sorts of rules so she wins in the end, so this is (not) a great combination.

Also, for some reason, she keeps calling Mario "Alf" and Bowser "Bert" and I have no idea why or how but it makes for some great background noise especially when she is discussing the game with her little brother.
"-Can Alf be friends with Bert? Maybe if you don't jump on his turtle friends!
-NO BERT IF EVIL AND ALF IS STUPID BECAUSE HE RUNS INTO GHOSTS ALL THE TIME
-WELL MAYBE HE WOULDN'T BE EVIL IF YOU WOULD STOP JUMPING ON HIS FRIENDS!"

I even told her the "real" names but because she hates this game so much she keeps calling them "her" names, just to spite the game. In time, she will make a great internet user.

LiK

She's just shy of 13 and some of it may be a bit above her level, but we've never sheltered her from Adult content just discussed it with her and made sure she was comfortable and understood what was happening and difference between reality and fantasy but YMMV

13? she can have a FB account soon. Godspeed.

Joeku

Hey cool low-key loot box apologism, Beasties. I sure do love the legacy of Horse Armour, getting closer and closer straight up gambling. Even better, there's no tangible winnings! Fantastic in a $60 game.

Warner Brothers can eat all of the dicks with that shit.

Vinny, instead of giving them extra money to make it less of a time sink, just play on easy. Don't let the predatory bullshit win.

My niece keeps playing Super Mario Run somewhere in the house and she hates it so much, it's incredible.
She's 8 so she doesn't even think about stopping and doing something she likes and my god, she hates this game with a passion I've never seen before. The game actually get's kinda hard later on and typically when you play a game with her you have to invent all sorts of rules so she wins in the end, so this is (not) a great combination.

Also, for some reason, she keeps calling Mario "Alf" and Bowser "Bert" and I have no idea why or how but it makes for some great background noise especially when she is discussing the game with her little brother.
"-Can Alf be friends with Bert? Maybe if you don't jump on his turtle friends!
-NO BERT IF EVIL AND ALF IS STUPID BECAUSE HE RUNS INTO GHOSTS ALL THE TIME
-WELL MAYBE HE WOULDN'T BE EVIL IF YOU WOULD STOP JUMPING ON HIS FRIENDS!"

I even told her the "real" names but because she hates this game so much she keeps calling them "her" names, just to spite the game. In time, she will make a great internet user.

Can this be Mario Alf canon please

BTA

I really, really wouldn't recommend it for someone from that age group, even if they are reading beyond that age group?

Mostly because I don't think they'd "get" a lot of it vs anything being outright too inappropriate, especially since YA lit isn't exactly super clean. But there's definitely some stuff even early on I'd feel weird dropping a kid into, like
Mae getting very drunk at a party and talking about her dad is a recovering alcoholic and was an abusive drunk
, and so on. It's also very much a game about a college dropout, and I think you'd have to be at least nearing the end of high school/into college to connect with those parts of it, particularly with Mae returning to friends she hasn't seen in 2 years.

Beyond that it's also focused on some pretty deep stuff by the end that I don't think would hit with a kid at all. Without spoiling much and just talking broadly,
it is definitely a game about small towns, politically, and how America is currently. And like. Unions, and workers in those towns, and so on.
Regarding things talked about later on,
Mae is queer and mentally ill and those things are touched on seriously too.

All this is to say: she might still enjoy it if you think she's up for it! It's just not something I'd recommend to kids (even as someone who was reading beyond my age group as a kid) by default at all; I know the art style might suggest that a bit but it's not really the case.

EDIT: I'll also say that, as I did read beyond my age group/play games written for beyond it, I've definitely enjoyed things where looking back later I totally didn't "get" what it was actually saying. So it could definitely still be enjoyable without that, or prompt interesting and valuable discussions between you and her about that stuff.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hey cool low-key loot box apologism, Beasties. I sure do love the legacy of Horse Armour, getting closer and closer straight up gambling. Even better, there's no tangible winnings! Fantastic in a $60 game.

Vinny, instead of giving them extra money to make it less of a time sink, just play on easy. Don't let the predatory bullshit win.

Or just don't buy it at all. I won't be and I loved the first game.

Ashby

I really, really wouldn't recommend it for someone from that age group, even if they are reading beyond that age group?

Mostly because I don't think they'd "get" a lot of it vs anything being outright too inappropriate, especially since YA lit isn't exactly super clean. But there's definitely some stuff even early on I'd feel weird dropping a kid into, like
Mae getting very drunk at a party and talking about her dad is a recovering alcoholic and was an abusive drunk
, and so on. It's also very much a game about a college dropout, and I think you'd have to be at least nearing the end of high school/into college to connect with those parts of it, particularly with Mae returning to friends she hasn't seen in 2 years.

Beyond that it's also focused on some pretty deep stuff by the end that I don't think would hit with a kid at all. Without spoiling much and just talking broadly,
it is definitely a game about small towns, politically, and how America is currently. And like. Unions, and workers in those towns, and so on.
Regarding things talked about later on,
Mae is queer and mentally ill and those things are touched on seriously too.

All this is to say: she might still enjoy it if you think she's up for it! It's just not something I'd recommend to kids (even as someone who was reading beyond my age group as a kid) by default at all; I know the art style might suggest that a bit but it's not really the case.

EDIT: I'll also say that, as I did read beyond my age group/play games written for beyond it, I've definitely enjoyed things where looking back later I totally didn't "get" what it was actually saying. So it could definitely still be enjoyable without that, or prompt interesting and valuable discussions between you and her about that stuff.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll probably come up with something else, I don't want her mother getting mad at me haha.

13? she can have a FB account soon. Godspeed.
Hell, she'll be able to get a GAF account and post in this very thread!

I always love getting updates like this from friends/family playing through a narrative-driven game. Getting messages from my sister as she played through stuff like 999 and Persona 3/4 was almost like experiencing the game for the first time again.

Will you teach her how to shitpost in GBGAF?

Too bad because Vinny is usually good about this stuff.

BTA

I always love getting updates like this from friends/family playing through a narrative-driven game. Getting messages from my sister as she played through stuff like 999 and Persona 3/4 was almost like experiencing the game for the first time again.

In the half a year or so preceding ZTD coming out, my friend group went from only me having played 999+VLR years ago (around when VLR came out) to like 4 or 5 other people having played them as a result of my (and then everyone else's) recommendation. All the repeated group chats of everyone who had played one of the games + the person currently playing it were wonderful and I loved seeing each person's theories as they went (and laughing about them with the others in a group chat for people who had finished them both). Since most of us played ZTD when it launched, a few of us actually each liveblogged it independently to be shared after finishing so we could capture a little of that experience without spoiling each other.

...those chats also were a really handy way to remind myself of what happened in VLR in detail without replaying it myself, since I didn't have the time for that, hah.

I tried several times to watch Rick and Morty and every time I am so put off by everything in that show. I think the annoying burping is the worst. It doesn't add anything to the show at all and just comes off as juvenile more than anything else. It seems like a show that wants you to hate it, because everything about it tries to push you away. You'll know in the first 5 minutes if that show is for you or not.

BTA

Ricky and Morty has some really good scifi anthology comedy that I love covered in a kinda gross layer of everything else.

I have really enjoyed parts of it (and should start watching season 3 I guess) but sincerely can't fully understand why people, including friends, get REALLY into it. It does some cool stuff but it's not like... a revelation and a lot about it/its creators is offputting to me. I dunno.

demidar

Rick and Morty is great.

Sometimes the show just chucks heavy stuff at you. Or sometimes it plays it off as a joke. You can't tell usually and that's what makes it fun to watch?

Top Bottom